Fitbit Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Fitbit Interview Questions

Updated May 17, 2017

2.9

Research Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fitbit.

Interview

The company wants to steal people's projects/ideas and give it the name of an interview. Personally, I felt like they had called me on to only ask me about a particular project I had worked on that was of interest to them. They had no intention of hiring me whatsoever. At the end of it I felt used and exploited. They gave me a free fitbit as consolation and I got a generic rejection email a week later. Terrible strategy, terrible management. Not surprised to see where they've come from the past 2 years

Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fitbit (San Diego, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Had a phone interview with a bunch of technical questions. This was followed by a test that which I had to submit to check for coding skils. Finally there was a round of 4 onsite interviews

IOS Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fitbit (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

There was an initial recruiter call, then a technical phone screen, then a follow-up recruiter call. I didn't make it to onsite since they were looking for someone more senior. The follow-up recruiter call was with disappointing news, but I did value the constructive feedback I was given.

Senior Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fitbit (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online, a phone interview by HR/Non-tech person, follow-up interview, shared screen presentation. Talked about a fictional design challenge similar to one of those design challenges that some companies will make you do as homework.

Interview Questions

• What is the toughest problem you've had to face? And how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer In Test Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fitbit.

Interview

Really disappointing interview process - I applied for a Sr. SDET job that was full time (I did apply through an external agency), and they told me at the end that they would be able to offer a contract to hire position. This was apparently a budget issue... fair enough, I can understand things can happen. Anyway, the job is again being posted as a Sr. SDET full time position after I turned them down ( I did not want contract). Why is it being posted full time now? Surely, now they know its not a full time position?

The actual team was fine, I'd be happy to work with them, but this process is dissapointing.

Interview Questions

• Its not fair to share the questions, but I felt the questions were appropriate to the role.   Answer Question

NPI Materials Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fitbit in January 2017.

Interview

The recruiter phone screen went ok. It was only 15 mins out of the scheduled 30. We both thought our understanding of the job description aligned so we didn't dig into details. In hindsight, this was where it originally went wrong.

The phone interview with the hiring manager was worse. We spent a few minutes talking about the job description and how I held a role with the same title at a previous company. It turns out the roles had slightly different responsibilities and I could tell the manager didn't think I was a match. But we continued anyway. She asked me a "name a time when" question. I gave an example and described what I did. She asked "What did you do?" I started repeating my activities and she asked me again twice, "What did YOU do? What did you DO?" I was confused about what she wanted so I asked, "I'm not sure how my answer is not addressing your question." After a few more rephrases I finally understand that she's looking for a leadership example. In the beginning she described the job using the word "coordinate" several times which leads me to think it's more of a coordinator role which is why I focused on more cross functional examples than leadership examples. Finally I gave her a different example and we moved on. When it was my turn to ask questions, I asked, "Can you describe some activities you are looking for this role to really own and drive?" Since she harped on it so much earlier. She started listing examples which are basically restating the job description and naming what I still believe are coordinator type activities.

The damage was already done. She really offended me and belittled my past work experience when she kept asking "What did you do" with increasing impatience. Good luck to whoever has to work with her. This job sounds much more like one where you report project status and coordinate different groups to meet timelines and solve issues.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to work with engineering and they had a conflicting interest?   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Fitbit (New York, NY).

Interview

Got reached out by a recruiter who set up a phone screen with a director of engineering. It was a standard 30 minute screen, with questions about the tech stack I used, a few technical questions around SQL, Python, data cleansing, and the experience I had with A/B testing. What really stood out to me was when asked to rate my skills in the above areas on a scale from 1 to 10, I asked the guy almost as a joke 'does anyone rate themselves a 10?'. His response was 'no, because if they did they wouldn't be applying for this role'. I didn't respond to that comment, but that removed any desire I had for working for this company. Probably a good thing too, since the company is tanking big-time.

Technical Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Fitbit (New York, NY).

Interview

The entire process took about 1 month, from application thru onsite interview. The usual 1/2 hour recruiter phone screen, followed by 1/2-1hr manager phone screen, all within a week of the application. However it took another week to a decision for an onsite. And by the time it was all booked, it was another two weeks later. And final decision was in the following week. The onsite was pretty much standard: some 1:1 technical interviews from mostly would-be direct reports and one peer, wrapped up by manager Skype. Some questions were straightforward, some were scenario based. One interviewer (a would-be direct report) started with a show-down of his long history and big titles elsewhere, and concluded that I did't know much before asking me any questions. Good luck to the manager hired to manage this person. Oh another thing, there are some rules about car rental, which I thought would be standard. Don't assume...

Interview Questions

• Give an example of someone difficult, and how you deal with the person.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Fitbit.

Interview

First I met with a recruiter and then interviewed with possible coworkers. Overall I had a good experience; however, one of the people I interviewed with never read my resume which lead to an awkward interview, and he also said the wrong name throughout a portion of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too technical, mostly asking about projects, myself, and why i'm interested in working at fitbit.   Answer Question

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Fitbit (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

1. HR Phone Screen
    2. Technical Phone Interview w/ Code Sharing
    3. Coding Challenge
    4. In Person

I breezed through the HR phone screen and the technical phone interview.

During the technical interview I was given a choice on wether I wanted to do a coding question on linked lists or memcpy. I chose memcpy and I started with a simple implementation, copying byte by byte. Interviewer said that reading 4 bytes took the same amount of time to read 1 byte so how could you optimize it. You just set the pointer to be int32_t type and then copy them and then decrement the size by 4. Then he asked what if the src wasn't on a 4 byte boundary in memory, solution to this is to copy bytes until the pointer is on a boundary then copy 4 bytes at a time, and then bytes at the end until size is 0. Then was asked about what if the src and dest were overlapping, this is simple, you just check if the address for the dest pointer plus + size is less than src, if its not, copy from the end.

I was given the coding challenge which was reading a binary file and pulling 12 bit values from it and outputting the last 32 values read as well as the largest 32 bit values. I did this successfully but was not put through to an in person interview with no feedback other than my solution was not the best match at this time. I was surprised because I kept track of the largest values using using a sorted linked list containing only 32 values, and used a circular buffer to keep track of the last values read. Inserting into the linked list was almost going to have to go through 31 nodes and updating the circular buffer took O(1). I'm not aware of a more optimal solution but perhaps thats why I didn't get an in person.