Fitbit Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Fitbit CEO James Park
James Park

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work/Life balance is also excellent - the company is really encouraging it" (in 36 reviews)

• "Some great people trying really hard to make things work" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "No 401K match (need to fix this) but they do have a 401K and offer free financial advisors (new)" (in 9 reviews)

• "Product intros are typically brutal on work-life balance" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A great opportunity to learn, grow and make an positive impact"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Work/life balance (seriously, the best I've ever had)
    - Opportunity to work autonomously, but also collaborate as a team with many brilliant people
    - Work for a company making a difference in the lives of so many people
    - Many greenfield opportunities. Still so much that needs to be done to grow this company and create a lasting legacy.
    - An incredibly supportive leadership team
    - Truly lives it's mission and encourages its employees to do stay healthy and fit
    - very casual work environment (e.g. lots of people who come to work in their workout gear on the regular, but Wednesday is officially workout Wednesday)

If you love working on challenging projects, are open to change and thrive in an environment where you will always being solving complex problems in new and innovative ways, this is the place for you. If you are willing to work for it, you could very easily do the best work of your career here at Fitbit. This is not a rest and vest company, though there are quite a few of them still around.

Cons

- The company has had a pretty tough time setting a direction/strategy and then quickly executing against it. They were back on their heels for a bit, but are now starting to gain forward momentum again. If we can stay on track with current strategy, I am confident we will be even more successful than before.
    - There is no 401K match, but rumors are that it is in the works.
    - There is also not the gym that you would expect from a company like Fitbit, though they do give you $70/mo as a wellness stipend and there is a small shared gym in one of the buildings.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to share more. People just want to know what is going on--good, bad or otherwise. I know that there is a lot going on that we're afraid to talk about for some reason, but if everyone knew about all of the great work happening and we also talked more about challenges, it would go a long way in improving employee engagement and retention.

"Excellent place to work"

I worked at Fitbit full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best aspect of working at Fitbit (at least for a Firmware engineer) is the people. They have a great team of smart and friendly people. In four years there I never encountered any problems of internal politics or anything else that is unpleasant.
    The company is very flexible as far as working from home whenever you need. They vacation policy is FTA, and the benefits package is excellent. Work/Life balance is also excellent - the company is really encouraging it.

Cons

During the four years I worked at Fitbit it was growing at a very fast rate (the number of firmware engineer increased about x10). This caused sometimes communication failures - not hearing about things that you should know - but it was not too bad.

3. "Overall positive experience but concerns about company future"

I worked at Fitbit full-time

Pros

Solid work life balance at Fitbit

Cons

Poor executive leadership, unclear about company direction

4. "Like A New Company"

Former Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fitbit full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Lots of flexibility in working environment
    2. Talent colleagues

Cons

1, Slow in making decision
    2. Not good at manufacture

5. "Great place"

I have been working at Fitbit full-time

Pros

Fast pace and lots of things to do

Cons

cancelled projects and roadmap need work

"Hopeless company"

Former Employee - Firmware Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Firmware Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Fitbit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool people, smart engineers. You work for a recognizable brand. Good work/life balance

Cons

The company doesn't know what it wants to be. There is no innovation whatsoever on the devices. Years of development time are spent to produce a tiny improvement.
    The decision process is flawed: too many cooks in the kitchen, lack of general direction and endless back and forth. Often, projects end up in a dead end and get cancelled for the wrong reason (inability of engineering teams to agree on a path and commit to it).
    Eric & James live in La La Land.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the founders and hire a seasoned CEO.

"Pathetic toxic QA leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fitbit full-time

Pros

Keeps lots of recruitment agencies busy and paid due to their difficulties with attracting candidates for even the most basic, normally easy-to-fill, QA jobs. Red Flag!

Cons

My friend had at least 4 different agencies contact him for the exact same Fitbit job. At better companies, this role would no way be difficult to fill.

What this tells the world about Fitbit QA:

1) No one wants to work there! 2) No one wants to submit referrals because everyone knows it's terrible! 3) Its leaders can't find anyone in their own network who want work for them!!!

Advice to Management

Overhaul the toxic wasteful leadership. It'll save you the 25%+ placement fees. Anyone who to this day needs armies of manual testers is seriously out of touch

"My assessment of my time working at Fitbit."

Former Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fitbit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job flexibility.
    Good health care benefits.
    Food catered happy hours, free fruit, cereal, snacks, coffee, tea, milk, etc, available in various breakrooms.
    Discounts on Fitbit products (limited quantity).

Cons

General lack of direction and goals of the upper management of the company, as well as confusion in the lower ranks.
    Too many unproductive and unnecessary meetings. As a subsequent side effect, this causes work to be undone and pushed to weekends, and even later hours to complete it outside of meetings.
    Depending on job function, you may be working from 7am to 9pm (or later) due to time differences of international meeting calls to manufacturers in China. This is very stressful, and can disrupt your social and home life.
    No 401k matching (at the time of my employment).

Advice to Management

More clear and concise goals, and instructions conveyed to reports.
    Many times, Fitbit has an unrealistic time-line from concept to production. This causes much scrambling, pushing vendors/manufacturers to the limit, increased cost of errors caused by rushing, undue stress. The current approach only works to undermine quality and reliability, and potentially, tarnish the image of the product (and company) in the eyes of the consumers when their product is inferior and or defective.
    Better retirement benefits.
    More work from home options (reduce commute time, saves gas, environmental benefit).
    Work on some of the above methods as well as other enticements to increase employee retention and decrease exiting.

"Senior management trainwreck"

Current Employee - Finance in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some good folks doing their best and at least that takes the edge off a little bit

Cons

Senior management can't seem to execute on a vague and overly broad vision. Very little innovation, Apple is crushing us. No corporate values, no accountability, under-performers get job offers to purely leverage promos and retention at Fitbit because we're desperate to stop the attrition. No 401k.

Advice to Management

Listen to the workforce who is clearly full of disengaged people who have heard the same promises over and over with no action or accountability. Drain the swamp... of VPs, SVPs, EVPs

10. "Good people, improving culture"

Current Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible working environment, global teams, caring people, can be who you want to be

Cons

Some idiotic IT policies that hinder productivity and happiness

Advice to Management

Continue discussions about culture and involving everyone.