Florida Virtual School Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 11, 2017

2.6

Online Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Florida Virtual School (Orlando, FL) in July 2017.

Interview

I had 2 digital interviews using the HireVue App. The first I just recorded myself answering questions that were on the app, and the second was a live digital interview with two administrators. The first one where I recorded my answers lasted maybe 15 minutes, and the second lasted about an hour.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle angry parents?
      How do you differentiate instruction?
      How do you feel about student-teacher accountability?
      Tell me about a time you positively contributed to a group of professional teachers.   Answer Question
    • What do you think about norm-referenced tests?
      How do you differentiate math instruction?
      Can you give me an example of writing across the curriculum?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Florida Virtual School.

Interview

Without saying exactly what they were, the questions fair to wth are you talking about? They were on a speaker phone and the SQL expert asked me "regarding SQL version 2008 and above, name two tables that are not permanent in #}%%^^**. Huh ? I've used SQL everyday since 2005 and I don't know what she was talking about. I

The guys questions were valid but I forgot what the data element is in HTML 5 is but I've used it just once in the last six months. I walked away from the interview thinking they were inexperienced because the questions gave them no clue as to how good I am. I'd rather have the experience of building companies like I have than being able to memorize everything in the stack.

Interview Questions

• The easiest question. What is the data element in html5?   Answer Question

FLVS Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Florida Virtual School (Orlando, FL) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online, a month later I was contacted for a phone interview. A technology questionaire is then required and then a face to face. First a group interview with simulation questions and then one on one. Recieved a letter to be part of the pipeline

Interview Questions

• What type of technology have you implemented in the classroom this year?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Currently in pipeline and waiting for next state which would be a job placement when it comes available

Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Florida Virtual School (Orlando, FL) in November 2016.

Interview

First a phone interview with basic questions on your experience and description of the position then an interview with 4 people interviewing you at once with scenarios and tasks with your opinion

Interview Questions

• They asked me to rank the importance of tasks and order them in order of completion   Answer Question

Online Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Florida Virtual School in December 2015.

Interview

The process is lengthy. First apply, then wait until they call for a phone interview. Pass phone interview, then take online assessment of technology skills. Pass this, then you are called for a group interview. At the group interview, we listened to a brief company spiel, worked in teams to answer questions, and worked in teams to build an incomplete Lego set. Then, a video was played while we waited to have our individual interview. I had to wait until second to last. By that time, my two interviewers seemed impatient and not really focused on my responses. They were sharing something on their laptops and nonverbally communicating together while I was answering their questions. I felt it was quite disrespectful. I was told I would be contacted within 7-10 days with a decision either way. After a month of waiting, I finally called and spoke to them and discovered I was not selected. After all the run around and disrespect, I wasn't too upset. I want a reliable employer who does what they say they'll do and one who is considerate to its employees.

Instructor Interview

Interview

Basic phone interview first. A few months later I was contacted for an in-person interview. Drove a bit of a distance for an interview done via computer. Not sure why I couldn't have done the interview at home via my own computer.

Interview Questions

• Pretty basic questions -- nothing out of the ordinary. Tell me about your background in education. What makes you an effective teacher? How do you reach struggling students? How do you use data to drive your teaching? How have you used technology in the classroom? Be sure to have specific examples ready. If you have teaching experience, this interview should not be too difficult for you.   Answer Question

Math Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Florida Virtual School.

Interview

This has changed greatly since I was hired. I understand now that there are multiple phones interviews in addition to a personality quiz. There is also a face-to-face interview in Orlando.

Interview Questions

• What is a way you have gone above and beyond for a student?   Answer Question

FLVS Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Florida Virtual School (Orlando, FL) in October 2015.

Interview

First a phone interview is conducted. If the applicant passes this, then they are asked to complete an online module to show their technology skills. Next, they are asked to come in person to the Orlando office for a presentation and one-on-one meeting with an Instructional Leader (principal basically). The one I attended was from 9-1 and it was required to wear either a suit or blazer. "Business casual is not acceptable."

The presentation went well. However, the IL were in the back sitting behind me and talked throughout the presentation--- somewhat distracting. When it was time for the one on one interviews, we all waited in the room and basically just sat until we were called. There were 12 of us and only 2 IL's interviewing. I waited for quite some time, as I was the second to last one called to be interviewed.

We were told that if we decided to take this position, we were not allowed to have part time work (including coaching) for the first year. We were also required to resign from any school where we currently worked.

Basic questions were asked about use of technology, use of data, etc. At the end of the interview, it was asked If I had any questions. I definitely did as this would be a huge commitment, and big change of pace from my brick and mortar position. After asking three questions, I was told that I could only ask one more question. I hadn't spent more than 20 minutes at this point, if that. This was around 11:45, and we were told to plan on being there until 1. I am not sure why I was cut short other than perhaps the questions I was asking. I view interviews as a two way street...I want to find out as much about the company, as they do about me. I asked about support during the transitioning period of learning to work from home...I asked about teacher turn over rates...I asked about employee surveys and their expressed pros and cons to the job, etc. Maybe these questions made them uncomfortable.

They obviously do not value your time, as I drove more than 2 hours one way for this interview. If they don't value you enough to answer your questions about the position, or give true insight into the position, so that you can make an informed decision, they won't value you as an employee. Period.

Interview Questions

• How do you use technology in the classroom? How do you use data to drive instruction? How would you manage a work/life balance? What sets you apart from the other candidates?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Florida Virtual School in August 2015.

Interview

It was a very long, drawn out process. Took months for them to call, then they called and left an automatic recording for me to set up a time for the next step. It actually took me over a month to finally reach someone. It went to the manager's voicemail every time. I left messages and never received a response.

Finally, I reached her and she made my appointment for another 2 months out.

Went to the appointment with 10 other teachers and was not selected.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Florida Virtual School.

Interview

Round Robin Questionning by a group of employees. Questions were tied to the position; panel was very friendly and posed their questions in a sequential nature.

Interview Questions

• What one previous management situation could have been handled with a more successful outcome? What would you have done differently?   Answer Question

Negotiation

One on One interaction