Free People Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.3

Sort:

Planning Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Free People (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

Applied online through their website. For the first step, I had to complete a recorded video interview with a few easy questions. I was later notified that I received an interview at Intern Interview Day in January in Philadelphia. I had to pay for my own travel up to Philadelphia. Interviewed on a Friday morning with two different people. We also toured home office and had lunch at the Home Office cafeteria. I found out about 2 or 3 weeks later that I received the internship.

Interview Questions

• From the past season, what are some ways that you think free people stores could have gone better?   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Free People.

Interview

The application was long as were the interviews but the girls all seemed really nice, slightly quirky but nice. People seem to stay at the company and move up easily which is appealing but I can't personally speak to that.

Better job opportunity

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Interview

Drove 12 hours for interview - stayed overnight in hotel downtown in the city - wore $400+ in Free People clothing - clearly showed immense interest in position and 100% qualified for any management position and the company chose the other candidate because they lived in town and wouldn't have to wait 2 weeks. This showed me the company (at least store location) had low business ethics and no appreciation for those who go above and beyond. Needless to say, I will never drive 12 hours for an interview again.

Interview Questions

• The questions were very basic like "what do you do for fun"-nothing what I expected for the known time I spent to be at this interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Free People (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

3 different interviews all 20 minutes long. Traveled all over Los Angeles to interview. All the questions were pretty much the same. The store manager I was going to work with only interviewed me forfive minutes.

Interview Questions

• Which celebrity most embodies the Free People lifestyle?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Free People.

Interview

Super Informal one sit down coffee chat to talk about my experiences for about 10-15 minutes and then it was pretty much done as well as a super informal phone call from the district manager. Overall the process was done very poor compared to other interviews I have had.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Free People.

Interview

Interview process took 2.5 weeks total. A few days after I applied I was reached out to for the career quiz and once I submitted it I was contacted that day to set up an interview. I met with the store manager and the interview was a very easy and friendly chat about my experience in retail, education, and company cultures I had experience with. After my interview we set up a follow up interview with the District Manager for later in the week. The second interview was still friendly and easy but with more in depth questions and descriptions of the business and what my duties would be. After this interview they did a background check and a week later I was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• Why I wanted to work for Free People/ What I liked about the brand.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They asked me about compensation, I gave them a number but let them know I was flexible, and they met that number when I got my offer.

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Free People.

Interview

Applied online, was sent a brief survey, was emailed for an interview, met with the SM and then the DM. Overall, everyone was very professional, asked meaningful questions related to the position and asked questions about myself that would directly result in a response from myself as a good fit for the brand and company or not.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Free People (Houston, TX).

Interview

I was interviewed in a dressing room and the person interviewing me could not think of things to ask me. She then began to tell me that enough though I have a fashion degree I would probably not find a job that easily because she had to work entry level retail for 5 years before moving up at all.

Associate Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Free People (Houston, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview was very professional and efficient. We discussed the particular job requirements for the location that I had applied to and also my background which was not in retail, but in management. I was actually surprised that I had been called in for an interview since I did not have any retail experience but I thought that it was very open-minded on their behalf to consider me, given my past work and skills that could easily transition over. I did not receive an offer in the end and understand completely as I think they would have needed someone with more specific experience. I also thought it was nice to receive an email rather than no contact at all, and therein a kind message about wanting to contact me in the future if I would be ok with that. Overall I thought it was a very smooth process which from application, to interview, to email response was all in the span of only 6 days including weekend.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my former employer's biggest weakness and strength.   Answer Question

Visual Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Free People (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied on the URBN career website for both the assistant store manager and visual manager positions because I wasn't sure if I was overqualified for one based on other interviewees' reviews. Two days later, I was asked to complete the online opinion survey, then two days from that I was invited to a store interview for the ASM position. By the end of that week, I received a call from the district visual manager. She told me I was referred to her by someone and based on my resume would love for me to come in and interview for both positions, and her and the store manager would evaluate which position fit best. I was ecstatic, especially after having applied to several management and corporate positions at Free People since last August. She also told me they were hiring for multiple locations, and I informed her I had no preference. I went to the interview dressed to kill in my favorite Free People jack, top, and boots and even received compliments from the DVM. The interview went smoothly, and she loved my answers. Her mood changed when she went to get the SM to interview me. Unfortunately, the SM was "too busy" to interview me. I told the DVM I'd wait, and she then started babbling: no management experience, they're not hiring, and would I be interested in a stylist position at a different location? They read my resume, so they already saw I managed a course of interior design students, a boutique, and had extensive visual and retail merchandising experience. I reiterated those things then and there, and nothing. The problem was clearly something else. That was truly hurtful. A company I admired so much wouldn't even respect me enough to be truthful. Not to mention, the SM was "too busy" because she was folding the same shirt while gossiping to a stylist. I also realized she was the same employee who didn't greet me but instead looked at me and turned away. Worst interview of my entire life. After this horrible experience, I don't know if I feel the same way about the brand as a whole.

Interview Questions

• Why do you like Free People?   1 Answer