Gen-Probe Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Gen-Probe Interview Questions

2.6

Research Associate I Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Gen-Probe (San Diego, CA).

Interview

They needed to fill an opening ASAP so the interview process was pretty quick. I applied directly through the Hologic website and got a call from their Staffing Agency (it apparently was a temporary position) and answered some basic screening questions that she had for me. Based on my interview with the Staffing Agency and my resume, I was called in for an in-person interview. I first interviewed with a group of the Scientists I would be working with and then the Research Associates I would be working with. In total, the interview lasted 1 hour and I was called a few hours later with an offer for the position.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to outline the mechanism of Transcription-Mediated Amplification (the technology used in their nucleic acid amplification tests).   Answer Question
    • We went through my resume and I described my relevant experience.   1 Answer

Negotiation

It was a temporary position and I was offered a considerable pay raise so I did not negotiate.

Interview

Initial interview and screening was very vague and limited I wasn't sure if I was in or out, I wish there was a clearer indication--In their defense they were still looking for the right candidate, but this proves taxing on the actual candidate to be in suspense for such long periods

Negotiation

Not much room to negotiate

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Gen-Probe (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Found job posting on LinkedIn but applied directly on their website. Received auto reply email immediately then another email a few days later to schedule a phone interview. HR phone screen (no phone screen with hiring manager) followed by 6-hour onsite interview with hiring manager and 5 other people (separately, not panel). 95% technical, 5% behavioral. They were mostly concerned with whether I could do the job and what I brought to the table beyond that. Requested references a few days later and actually called two of my references. Received an offer the next week. 6 week process from online application to official offer acceptance (after reference and drug test). Probably would have been much shorter but I was traveling at the time so I scheduled the phone call one week out and the onsite about 2 weeks out.

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of my knowledge base because most questions were job-related and I had much more experience than the job description listed. But I was asked more than a few times why San Diego (I was from out of state).   1 Answer

Negotiation

Wouldn't budge on salary but I was at the top of their range anyway so they were super generous with relocation. Probably should have pushed for a higher bonus percentage but the relocation bonus they proactively offered was much more than I would have ever asked for. Paid holidays are based on tenure and company-wide (at least they were before they were acquired by Hologic) so no negotiation there.

QC Analyst I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Gen-Probe (San Diego, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

I applied through an employee referral in March 2014, and was contacted by a recruiter via phone two days later. A phone interview was scheduled for the next week with two different managers. Both interviews went well- both very technical, and testing my knowledge of the subject matter. At the end of each phone interview, I was invited for an in-person interview. Few behavioral or technical questions there, but a lot more of the employees themselves telling me why this was such a great place to work. Overall positive experience, though the employees themselves did not come prepared with many questions. Point to note- if you're interviewing here, come prepared with a list of questions that you'll want to ask the workers and the managers. You'll find it'll come in handy!

Interview Questions

• What would you do and how would you react if someone who was supposed to deliver something to you failed to do so?   Answer Question
    • Explain to me how qPCR works.   Answer Question
    • What would you say is your biggest weakness?   Answer Question
    • If you had to pick one skill on your resume that you are the most competent with, which one would it be?   Answer Question

Manufacturing Process Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Gen-Probe (San Diego, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

I came in through an agency, which did the initial interview. They were basic questions like what do you want to do in 5 years, strengths, weaknesses and asked about my roles that I had wrote down on my resume. The on-site interview with the hiring manager was similar. However, he asked whether or not I would stick with this job for some time. I believe people would leave this job shortly after being hired, which is why he asked that.
     I do not think there is much that is required for this role other than basic things like being able to follow instructions and having a desire to do well in the company. The hiring manager wants someone reliable that will work hard. If you can convey that then you should be fine.

Interview Questions

• He asked how long I was planning on staying with the company.   Answer Question

Research Associate II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Gen-Probe.

Interview

I was a temp for a few months with the company and saw an opening for an RA position. I inquired about the position with my supervisor, then found out who the hiring supervisor was. After an initial interview with him, I had a formal interview set up with the rest of the group. It took about another 2 weeks for all the paperwork to go through, but it was worth it. So far I'm very happy at GP and definitely would recommend for others to try to get in to this company, even though most people start out as temps, if you work hard it will be noted.

Interview Questions

• One person in my interview did ask a lot of technical questions, but other than that it was the standard, "how do you get along with others, tell us about your experience, etc."   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiations were very tough, unfortunately I got about $3k less than I expected, but I still took the position because I felt benefits, bonuses, and merit raises were good.

Technical Support Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gen-Probe (San Diego, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

Met with HR representative, director, hiring manager and another employee at the same level (supervisor) of the posted position. 30 min/each. interview with Supervisor was upbeat and personal...she was very forthright with the details of the group and company. Hiring manager was 15 min late. All behavior questions, no expression whatsoever...very cold person. Meeting with Director was straightforward. HR rep was also late for his time spot - posed good questions, follow up emails were not responded to in a timely fashion.

Interview Questions

• What kind of conflicts have you had with your previous manager?   1 Answer

Verification/Validation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Gen-Probe (San Diego, CA).

Interview

If you're not Indian, good luck. The main hiring manager seems to have a serious bias towards anyone not Indian. Pretty brutal/hostile interview styles. One of the managers was very nice but the other 3 we rough. Im not sure how I made it through the process as it seemed like the main manager did not like me. Once hired, I realized just how justified my initial claims about being Indian were.

Interview Questions

• They wanted to know some obscure details about FDA regulations. I've worked in this industry for over 10 years and knowing the answer to that question has zero bearing on the success or failure of doing your job.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiation was non-existent.

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Gen-Probe (San Diego, CA) in September 2009.

Interview

The typical interview process. A phone interview with HR first. Then an on-site interview with a group of 5 people - went through resume as typical process. nothing too challenge.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate.

QC Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Gen-Probe (San Diego, CA) in May 2009.

Interview

Great interview process

Negotiation

none