General Dynamics Mission Systems Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at General Dynamics Mission Systems

2.4

1. Featured Interview

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems in March 2019.

Interview

Brought me to the site and met the team I would be working on, met with a group of people from different departments who all asked me various questions. Talked about how they liked to have fun, and how they want their employees to get involved.

Interview Questions

• Describe an environment where you had to strictly document procedures   1 Answer

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems in April 2020.

Interview

I applied online. I was contacted by HR via email only and asked for times for an intial hiring manager phone call.

The interview went very well. My background was an excellent fit, and I was asked several questions by the hiring manager that showed their interested. Our conversation went on for the better part of an hour, at the end of which I was told they wanted to move forward with next steps and I would hear back in one day or two.

I heard nothing for over a week. I contacted the HR rep several times, and was first told she would send a reminder with an update "no later than noon tomorrow". She also told me to contact her if I didn't hear back that afternoon.

Several days later I get an auto-rejection email. The HR rep followed up saying "The hiring manager was very turned off when you told him you had other interviews scheduled." They claimed it was unprofessional, but then they also said I should only tell that to the HR person.

The hiring manager directly asked me if I was interviewing elsewhere. What was I to do, lie? At the time I was in phone screen and technical presentations with 5 other companies. And the hiring manager apparently wasn't so turned off that he continued interviewing me over the phone for nearly an hour, asking detailed questions about my background and explaining the hiring process at this company.

I was polite in my interview, and told the truth. It really sounds like the company was simply annoyed that they couldn't bring on a warm body, someone who was desperate for a job, and the certainly don't want to compete for the best candidates.

The HR rep had the nerve to tell me I should never answer that question to the hiring manager and only to her. What was I supposed to do? Ignore the question? Lie? She never once called me, only sent a brief email to set up the call in the first place.

It really sounds like GD/Bluefin doesn't have a good idea how to recruit talent. My recommendation would be to try elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• What other companies are you interviewing with?   1 Answer
    • Are you capable of being a PM or Lead engineer?   1 Answer

Machine Learning Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems in March 2020.

Interview

An recruiter reached out and submitted my profile to the hiring managers. Coordinated with the recruiter, GD-MS HR and the hiring team. Confirmed on a date and time, but the team rescheduled at the last minute.
    When the time came to speak with the hiring team, only one person called in despite the fact the phone interview was to speak with 4 people, including the manager. The lone interviewer asked a few simple questions and promised to recommend me for more conversation. The next day an email came saying I had been rejected.
    The manager and her hiring team seemed more interested in wasting a candidate's time than hiring for her team.

Interview Questions

• Give me some examples of your machine learning project.   Answer Question

Entry-Level Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems (Scottsdale, AZ) in March 2020.

Interview

I was referred to GDMS by a friend who graduated a semester before me. I met with his manager at a university event and we just talked about life, FPGA development, etc. The manager was extremely nice and asked about specific things on my resume and gave me a chance to tell my story instead of reading specific questions. I was invited to an interview day about 2 months down the road, but still wasn't sure about where I would be moving (because of other family stuff), so I didn't act on anything.

A month went by and I knew where I would be moving after graduation. I received an email from the manager asking about my plans and we talked on the phone for about 30 minutes the next day. He said he was really impressed with my background and that even though I was invited to the interview event, I should really just take it as an opportunity to meet the teams and decide which one I would prefer to work on because they were going to make me an offer.

The interview day got cancelled because of COVID-19 and I instead had a 1-hour unstructured phone interview with the manager and a team that they thought I would be a good fit on. I say unstructured, because it was really just a conversation - I asked questions pretty much the whole time. The same evening, the manager wanted to know how I was feeling about the role, so we talked briefly on the phone and I told him that I would like to join the team. He said they'll get started on the offer, and the next week I was asked to complete the online application before receiving the offer.

I've never interviewed with a company that was so laid-back in the interview process. It really showed that they believe in me and they wanted to make sure that it's a good long-term fit for both of us rather than just caring about what I can do.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any questions for me?   1 Answer

Entry Level Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems (Bloomington, MN) in February 2020.

Interview

Decent, some of the questions seemed fairly pedestrian, and they weren't clear about whether or not I would get a second-round interview, but overall it wasn't a difficult process like some of the horror stories I read on Glassdoor

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite language and how many lines of it have you written?   Answer Question
    • What is the biggest problem you have faced in your life and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems.

Interview

Applied online and had a 30 minute phone screening that consisted of your standard H.R. STAR questions.

Was contacted by recruiter for ELP to confirm interest and make arrangements for an in person interview. Recruiter's emails were full of typos and convoluted information. The grammar and correspondence in the email's from my recruiter were reminiscent of an email you would receive from a "Nigerian Prince Scam".

Nonetheless, GDMS flew me in for an in person interview. 20 or so ELP candidates were there, given a half-day schedule consisting of a program overview, interviews, and facility tours. The program overview was informative. Next came interviews, which were a largely negative experience. Was given two 30 minute interviews. First one was with 2 current members of the ELP, where they asked some HR questions and also some logic based white board questions. Interview felt very rushed and there was a push to finish before the 30 minutes was up. My next 30 minute interview was with a more senior employee. This employee rushed in 5 minutes late to the interview room, quickly explaining that he hadn't even looked at my resume yet. After a few minutes of silence as he stared at my resume, he asked the exact same basic HR questions my previous interview team asked. 20 minutes in, another ELP employee bursts into the room apologizing for being late to the interview.

After these poorly structured interviews, tours were given and candidates were sent home. By the end of the visit day, after the poor experience with my recruiter and interviewers, I had no desire to work for GDMS. Heard back within a week.

Interview Questions

• How would someone who hates you describe you?   Answer Question
    • There are three boxes, one contains only apples, one contains only oranges, and one contains both apples and oranges. The boxes have been incorrectly labeled such that no label identifies the actual contents of the box it labels. Opening just one box, and without looking in the box, you take out one piece of fruit. By looking at the fruit, how can you immediately label all of the boxes correctly?   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems.

Interview

A group of members of the software development team asked me about my challenges and successes in my classes. They asked me what type of software development I would be interested in and if I was interested in interfacing with hardware.

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems.

Interview

I was invited to one of their university recruitment days. It's an all day event. You get breakfast and lunch and meet the manager you'll be working under. 2 rounds of interviews.

Interview Questions

Interview

It was very easy where you apply and they reach out to you for a firs phone call. Then I was interviewed directly at the site. They asked me about my career plan and why I wanted to work for GD.

Interview Questions

• Why is GD a good fit for you?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems.

Interview

One phone interview, one physical interview. The in person interview was at their location with one hiring manager. There were not really many technical questions, more behavioral. The hiring manager was respectful and professional.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you were really challenged and how you overcame it.   Answer Question