Grand Valley State University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Grand Valley State University Interview Questions

Updated Oct 4, 2017

2.1

Student Worker Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grand Valley State University.

Interview

Very easy interview, was basically just a conversation about my schedule and start date. The process took two weeks. I received an email to schedule an interview, and only hours after the interview I was offered the position.

Custodian Interview

Anonymous Employee in Allendale, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Grand Valley State University (Allendale, MI) in August 2016.

Interview

It is a round table event where they have you come in introduce themselves and then ask questions about your experiences and qualifications. It is fairly administered and seems level headed in its technique.

Interview Questions

• Previous job: What was the one thing you hated?   1 Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Interview

I didn't have one. I have got the job because I was studying in the school.

I had an interview with the supervisor and he liked me and offer me the position.

Program Advisor TRIO Talent Search Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Grand Valley State University (Grand Rapids, MI) in November 2014.

Interview

Many questions about work culture and ability to get along with others, interviewed with 4 people from the College of Education then an interview with the Dean.

What worked for me: I had a job packet (CL, my skills vs. what skills they were looking for, resume), sent out handwritten thank you notes to all 5 individuals

Interview Questions

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Grand Valley State University.

Interview

standard department group interview plus four 1 on 1 interview series, technical discipline presentation to faculty and students , observed model teaching class, investigation of current research projects, follow-up interviews, dinner with selected faculty, dean, administration leadership, review of CV, tour of campus. meeting lost of unnecessary people, selling of city for family environment, overhyped description of department and school status and accomplishments.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation; take or leave the offer made

Managing Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grand Valley State University (Grand Rapids, MI) in April 2014.

Interview

short 30 minute interview with 2 employees who talk about the position and what to expect while working there. Very laid back environment. Then a follow up interview with the director which is very similar

Project Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Grand Valley State University (Grand Rapids, MI) in April 2014.

Interview

I applied through the company online site; received a call and came in to interview with who I would work under directly if I got the position. After that interview, I was invited back to a second interview with a bunch of the other staff members and once I surpassed this phase, I was offered a position the same day (a few hours after the second interview).

Library Staff A&D Interview

Anonymous Employee in Allendale, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Grand Valley State University (Allendale, MI) in January 2014.

Interview

Very comfortable interview with Theresa Maycroft. Sat in her office for maybe 30 minutes and had a casual conversation about the position. At the end I asked her what I would actually be doing and she explained that it is a varied job with lots of various responsibilities. Overall Theresa is a great boss to work for and the interview with her felt more like the beginning of a friendship!

Interview Questions

• What is a project you got really excited about? What are looking to achieve here?   Answer Question

Student Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Allendale, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Grand Valley State University (Allendale, MI) in October 2013.

Interview

I applied online through laker jobs website. They were looking for somebody to work at a time that I was available, and the building was close to my apartment. I applied and received an interview within a week. Interviewer was extremely friendly and easy to talk to. Received offer within the next few days.

Assistant Director Interview

Application

The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at Grand Valley State University.

Interview

Best described as a nightmare, moving at a snail's pace. The entire process was a full 7 months long, from application to computer-generated email from HR saying they weren't filling the job, even though it only consisted of 2 interviews. Attempts to get an update in between interviews proved fruitless even though I had direct emails.

Just incredibly passive communication and slow moving process, which was enough to make me not want to work there anyway. I received another offer while waiting to hear back from GVSU and accepted it (note: I applied to this job two months after I applied to GVSU). So in the end I wasn't *too* upset that they didn't offer me the position, but it was a huge waste of everyone's time, most importantly mine.

Interview Questions

• It's a university so be prepared for very general, open ended questions. You are going to put in a LOT more effort for these interviews than for a normal company, mostly because universities do everything, especially hiring, in committees of 10+ people. My specific tip for GVSU interviewees is this: answer with stereotypical answers. "How would you improve the program" --> more student involvement, alumni involvement, community involvement. This is more like Miss America than anything else. You need to show you have a personality yet not veer off the acceptable "world peace" track or you'll be scored negatively. Be prepared for personal life questions too and answer appropriately. They want academics so portray yourself as a future thought leader. Before your interview, find a book, movie, and musician that is a little off the beaten path but one that's highly regarded. Ex: don't say you read Orwell, say Kafka - or someone even more obscure. Find a classical or jazz musician and talk about how you like to unwind on your car rides or at home.

Otherwise the questions are all pretty straightforward, if not boring and uninspired (What are your strengths? Do you think diversity is important? When is a time when you were wrong and what did you learn from it? Why do you want to work for Grand Valley? Who is your role model?)   Answer Question