Guggenheim Partners Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Guggenheim Partners

Sort:

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Guggenheim Partners (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied through an employee and received an interview call to meet two people from the peer team, which went well. After I followed up with them two weeks later, I was invited to meet the hiring manager and their manager, which also went well. Since I didn't hear back, I followed up again after two weeks and was invited again to meet two more people and HR, which also went well. Waited for feedback and received none; only a voicemail from one of the interviewers weeks later stating I am neither selected nor rejected, and nothing else! Was terribly disappointed after going through six different interviews only to hear an inconclusive feedback from them.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how you resolved a difficult situation with a trader/colleague.   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Guggenheim Partners.

Interview

Applied online. Phone interview with direct supervisor. Produce work samples. Phone calls with direct supervisor. Flyout. In person interview with people in LA; people in NYC conferenced in.

Negatives: they called me multiple times while I was at work - these calls weren't scheduled. They couldn't schedule my office visit in advance. They ended up reaching out last minute (2 days prior) and told me to come to LA. After the morning round of interviews, I was told that I needed to stay an extra day (this was problematic in that I needed to be back at work the next day). They required me to book my own flights and hotels. Accounting made me fill out a W-9 to get reimbursed (W-9's are for independent contractor income). The process took several months. Despite having interviewed and worked for multiple large financial institutions, I found the process and line of questioning very strange. They started negotiating salary during the very first phone call. It was brought up at multiple points along the process. Very limited transparency in the salary discussions in terms of how people have done historically (base and bonus - a multiple of the base) and how the bonus is derived.

Positives: Potential for a high bonus (despite not knowing how it's calculated)

Here's an interesting fact which I learned during the interview: Guggenheim policy is that employees don't travel during business hours.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you saw a fellow employee being harassed by a colleague
      Tell me about Dodd Frank
      If you have an urgent deadline and need something from a colleague, what do you do? (call them rather than email them)
      By definition, if you buy an asset at auction, you're the high bidder - what makes you think you are correct and aren't overpaying.   Answer Question
    • I didn't get any technical questions about anything finance related. They asked detailed questions about experience and work which I did previously - what was your role. How did you go about achieving something, tell me about how you analyzed something.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guggenheim Partners (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Initial phone interview with manager then another interview with a senior developer. After that you get a take home assignment and once you complete it you go in for a 2-3 hours interview with various questions on your assignment as well as other technical questions.

Interview Questions

• General .NET MVC questions such as routing controllers etc. SQL questions such as writing queries on board. AngularJS questions.   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Guggenheim Partners (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied for the job through the Guggenheim website. Had a phone interview then two in-person interviews at the Guggenheim office in NYC. The first round was with 5 different individuals, all one-on-one. The second round was with 7 different individuals, 3 one-on-ones (including the managing director and director) and 2 groups of 2. All of the interviewers made me feel very comfortable and were easy to talk to. The questions were mostly behavioral with a few technical questions about bank loans.

Interview Questions

• Why Guggenheim?   Answer Question
    • Why are you looking to leave your current role?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question
    • Describe an example where you've been thrown into a situation without directions and needed to complete a task.   Answer Question
    • Tell me how you resolved a difficult situation with a colleague.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you worked with a poor team member. Did you do anything about it?   Answer Question
    • What do you know about bank loans?   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Guggenheim Partners (Chicago, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

Submitted application through a referral. Heard back a week later to set up a phone interview with Head of HR. Typical phone interview with traditional personality/behavioral questions. Four days later they offered to fly me out for a super day at Guggenheim's Chicago offices. Super day was comprised of four interviews with a mixture of 2:1/1:1 interviews. Questions ranged from behavioral to Excel experience to some accounting questions. Heard back two weeks later from HR that I received the position. Overall, smooth process and it seems like a very interesting rotational program.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when...
      Walk me through your resume.
      I see you have experience in banking. Can you tell me about "x" project listed on your resume.
      Do you have an accounting background?   Answer Question

Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Guggenheim Partners (Chicago, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

The first step was a telephone interview and then I came into the office twice to meet with 4 people each time. Pretty standard interview with typical interview questions; they are very concerned with cultural fit and have you meet with lots of people to ensure you'll fit in with the team. The HR representative was very communicative during the process.

Pay attention to red flags: One person I interviewed with brought his personal cell and business cell into the interview, and he was constantly texting and emailing on both phones throughout my interview; he even interrupted me once to answer a personal phone call. This person has proven to be incredibly difficult to work with.

Interview Questions

• What I know about compliance / how to handle possible compliance breaches.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Guggenheim Partners (New York, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

3 rounds, not very technical. There are 3 people meeting me. One is from the fixed income group, one is from equity group, and another is from Human Resources. They give me responses in 3 weeks.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chapel Hill, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Guggenheim Partners (Chapel Hill, NC) in January 2013.

Interview

Straight forward financial interview although the people seemed very uninterested from the beginning despite strong credentials and a solid resume. They both had just got back from playing golf only 10 minutes before the interview, which made me question what I was looking into. Despite this, the interview went well and I answered basic financial questions you'd expect from an analyst position interview.

Interview Questions

• If you owned any business on this street, what would your preferred market be?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Guggenheim Partners.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and interviewed for this position within a week of initial contact. I met with 4 different people and the interview lasted about 2 hours. The interview wasn't very difficult and it was mostly conversational with a few easy behavioral questions thrown in the mix. I decided to drop out of the interview process because some employees were openly negative about their positions and made it seem like an undesirable work environment.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really difficult. Name three of your greatest weaknesses.   Answer Question

The recruiter/company continued to contact me after I dropped out and tried enticing me to take an offer, but the work environment was not appealing.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guggenheim Partners.

Interview

Lateral hire. Phone interview + in person. In person featured analyst interview & LBO model test

Interview Questions

• How would you value a company if it didn't have positive FCF until its 6th year of operations?   Answer Question
    • Do you include dividends in FCF?   1 Answer