HP Inc. Interview Questions | Glassdoor

HP Inc. Interview Questions

Updated Sep 17, 2017

2.7

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HP Inc..

Interview

Several phone interviews with other members of the team and the Manager. Finally 2 face to face interview at the offices. They explain very well at all stages about next steps, job content, what to expect and what not to expect, etc.

Channel Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HP Inc. (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

HR reached out within a month of submitting the online application. Total 8 interviews.

1st phone interview with recruiter
    2nd phone interview with hiring manager
    3rd phone interview with a team member
    4th phone interview with another team member
    Once you clear the above you are invited for onsite interviews with the hiring manager and other members on his/her team.

Final round - 4 onsite interviews

I received an offer by phone within 2 weeks.

Sales Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boise, ID

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HP Inc. (Boise, ID).

Interview

I applied online and was contacted quickly by the hiring manager.
    He scheduled me for and interview with his team (him + 3 people = 4 in the interview).
    The interview was about an hour on-site at the HP Boise campus.
    After the interview, the hiring manager said I would be hearing from him via email regarding next steps.
    I followed up with a letter in the mail thanking the hiring manager and his team for the interview and their consideration.
    10 days later I hadn't heard anything from him (remember, he said I would hear from him via email next week). At this point I emailed him and he said that they were still working through the first round interviews and that he would keep me posted.
    Another 10 days went by so I called and left him a voice mail checking in. He must have had caller ID and didn't want to take my call and 2 minutes later I received a rejection email from corporate HR.
    I don't mind not getting the job, but best practice is that if someone comes in and meets you face to face, you owe them the courtesy of a personal phone call. This guy was nice, but clearly didn't have the guts to make the no thanks phone calls.

Interview Questions

• What kind of things have you used Excel for? Are you familiar with pivot tables?   Answer Question

Strategy & Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at HP Inc. (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by email for an initial conversation with what appeared to be a recruiter, "are you available early next week for a 20 minute call? As an initial call we won’t be doing any case type interviews, only getting to know you more." This person had absolutely no public presence or social media profiles. So, I was confident that this was a typical initial big company recruiter call saying, here's who we are, the role, and the interview process, etc.

To start he mentioned that he had just recently come from Samsung's Corp Strategy team (2 months ago) and flew planes at some point (presumably military). 3-5 minutes into the call the interviewer, after revealing himself as the hiring manager, starts poking deep into my resume for detailed approach and case related questioning. The process was very shady and caught me totally off guard. I knew immediately that he was not hearing what he wanted, as he left little time to answer any questions about the role, and pushed to end the call in 10-15 minutes.

Made it clear that helping these people sell more printers in a shrinking market would not be fun!

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume and some of the choices you have made? How do you develop growth strategies then follow-on questions. Tell me about when you have led without direct influence?   Answer Question

NPI Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corvallis, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at HP Inc. (Corvallis, OR) in May 2017.

Interview

Phone screening -> All day on sight interview with a tour and wrap up interview: The phone screening was difficult and caught me off guard. I then interviewed in Corvallis where they told me I would be applying to several different jobs at once. I interviewed in 30-minute increments with 5-6 different people with a lunch and tour in the middle of the day. Most of the questions were technical and a majority of the staff was friendly.

Some of the technical questions were challenging and related to problems they were working on. They would ask "we have this issue going on. Here is the data/equipment we are using. What kind of information or patterns can you draw from this?" Or "How would you MFG this product and its different pieces if you needed to build X amount of them a year?"

I can't give a specific thing to study up on because it was super broad in what they asked. As a mechanical engineer, they asked me mostly general things (heat transfer, mechanics of materials, dynamics, material selection, physics, etc.) that I knew most of. I would just say to be well rested before you go in for the all day interview and order a light lunch. By the end of the day, around 430pm, I had my last interview and my brain was totally fried.

In the end, they did tell me I didn't get the position which was nice but I asked for feedback and they didn't respond. It seems like they are trying to help young engineers get connected in the company and in the area but if you are looking for a hip scene Corvallis doesn't have much to offer.

The campus is HUGE and really nice. Overall the process was positive and a good experience even though nothing came of it.

Interview Questions

• Questions about how to tell if a pump was actually working

Why would you design a part this way (show you part)

Tell me about what you did on this (internship/project on resume)

How would you design this part or why is the current design flawed

If you had a box with shafts doing some mechanical motion on the outsides, what would you need to have inside the box to achieve this design (gears, pistons, pulleys etc)

Heat transfer stuff   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at HP Inc. (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

I actually applied on-line for a different position vs my current role but I'm happy that I accepted this role. The recruiter (HP Inc.) contacted and informed me that there's an open position within this team that I may be a good fit for since it aligns to my resume, skill-set, and experience. So, I told my recruiter - yes, I'm on-board and let's give it a shot. The interview process went smoothly, first it was with my recruiter via phone assessing my qualifications, questions about my previous experience, and sharing some insights about HP Inc. Then, few days later, I heard from my recruiter that the hiring manager would like to invite me for a formal on-site interview. The final interview was with the hiring manager. The interview was effortless and the hiring manager was very engaging with all the questions that we have back and forth. He was very knowledgeable with HP Inc's culture and environment. It was clearly a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself? Walk me through your work experience? And, this question - I certainly liked and appreciated the most- What do you think would be the biggest concern coming into this role?   1 Answer

Chemist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HP Inc. (San Diego, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online. A month later had a 30-45 min phone interview over Skype, mainly technical questions. Three weeks later had on-site interview. Six 1-on-1 interviews with 30 min research seminar in the afternoon (unlike other interview seminars, this didn't seem crucial). Mostly technical questions, with some behavioral.

Interview Questions

• Describe different kinds of polymerizations. Name 10 commercial polymers. Describe a conflict and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Product Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HP Inc. (Houston, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online and after about 3-4 weeks I was contacted by the manager who had posted the opening for a 30 Minute Phone Call interview. The interview was very casual and the interviewer expressed the desire to keep the exchange conversational.

Interview Questions

• What are some of the reasons you like HP?   Answer Question
    • What qualities or traits do you think you will be able to bring our development team?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HP Inc..

Interview

SQL basic, like joins, union vs union all, grouby, sub query, order by, view, top salary, second top salaray, etc... turning and troubleshooting
    Python array, list, set, common data structure and sort algorithm
    Hadoop, Vertica, Spark SQL, Spark Stream, Kafka big data

Interview Questions

• SQL basic, turning and troubleshooting
      Python array, list, set, common data structure and sort algorithm   Answer Question

R&D Product Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in Corvallis, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HP Inc. (Corvallis, OR) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied through my college and had an on campus interview. Was asked to have an onsite interview to be considered for 3 different positions and was offered the position I expressed the most interest for. Onsite interview lasted 8 hours where a total of 4 hours were technical interviews that were average in difficulty.

Interview Questions

• On campus interview questions were behavioral. Onsite interview lasted 8 hours where a total of 4 hours were technical that was not absurdly challenging.   Answer Question