Harris Williams & Co. Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Harris Williams & Co. Interview Questions

Interviews at Harris Williams & Co.

2.8

Sort:

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Harris Williams & Co. (San Francisco, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

The associate interviews for MBA recruits begins with an initial on campus 1:1 interview with an associate (usually an alumni). Basic finance and accounting questions that you get for banking interviews. 2nd round occurs onsite with several rounds of interviews with mostly associates and VPs. Again, basic accounting and finance questions with some behavioral.

Interview Questions

• not that difficult but: two companies have the exact same EBITDA multiples but have differing PE multiples. Why might this be the case   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Harris Williams & Co..

Interview

Standard IB associate questions and case study. Super day with a combination of associates, VPs, directors and MDs. On campus interview to screen candidates - mostly focused on personality with some accounting and valuation questions included.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through a valuation   1 Answer

Negotiation

Fine. No negotiation on salary or bonus

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Harris Williams & Co. (Raleigh, NC).

Interview

It started through campus recruiting. The people at their information session were very personable and the atmosphere was very laid-back. I submitted my resume and cover letter online and received an on-campus interview within a week.

Interview Questions

• They asked me how I would sell (and value) an apple tree and what that thought process would look like.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Harris Williams & Co. (Richmond, VA) in September 2011.

Interview

I went to their info session and applied with my resume via my university's career site. I received an invitation to interview on campus. The night before there was a pre-interview reception at a local restaurant which I attended. The interview was mostly fit questions but had a few easy technical questions, mostly about accounting and about mergers and acquisitions. The culture was very laid back during the recruitment process and I genuinely enjoyed talking to all the employees I met. The only downside is that the firm seemed very set on recruiting southerners so if you do not come from that background it could be tough to land an offer.

Interview Questions

• A high end headphone company approaches your firm wishing to sell itself. What other companies would you approach to buy?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Harris Williams & Co. (Boston, MA) in August 2011.

Interview

Consisted of two initial phone interviews, one was a recruiter screen and another with an Analyst. After those two interviews I was invited to interview in the office where the opening was.

Office interviews consisted of 1:1 and 2:1. They were really focused on fit, but there were a few technical questions as well. Ultimately did not receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• This role involves a lot of uncreative work, do you think you could handle that?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Harris Williams & Co. (Boston, MA) in June 2010.

Interview

I first had a phone interview with an analyst. Very straight forward. Asked me about my resume and my internship experiences. He then he asked me some accounting questions. Then I got invited for dinner and a final round interview in Boston, MA. It was basically very similar to the phone interview, but I had six 30 min interview with questions ranging from accounting, to fit, to a mini case.

Interview Questions

• Your client owns a parking meter company in Boston. What kind of companies would be interested in the client?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Harris Williams & Co. (San Francisco, CA) in September 2009.

Interview

We basically just went over my resume. We spoke about the different areas on my resume and the interviewer asked for past exam scores and course grades. There were NO technical questions in the first round. The interviewer left time for me to ask questions about the firm. It only lasted about 40 minutes. It was very relaxed as well.

Interview Questions

• What kind of leader are you?   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Harris Williams & Co. in September 2015.

Interview

Pretty standard first round analyst interview. Nothing tricky at all. Standard technical questions, no curve balls. Mostly just behavioral and fit type questions. Seemed to go very well. I was rather surprised when I was informed 2 weeks later that they wouldn't be proceeding with my application. It was the first bank that I applied to that didn't give me an offer. Seems to be a decent amount of nepotism that results in some interesting candidates receiving offers. Not the kind of nepotism that gets you an interview which I don't have a problem with at all, but the kind that can be pretty upsetting. "Peanut," the recruiter, is very nice and gives great feedback if you ask her for it.

Interview Questions

• What are the 4 ways to value a company, and when would you use each one?
      Between an LBO and a DCF, which method is going to usually lead to a high valuation and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Harris Williams & Co. (Richmond, VA).

Interview

No really crazy questions but I was very annoyed at the fact that my friend wasn't asked a single question and was invited to the superday - they talked about tennis the whole time. My friend wasn't even asked for his "story." Seriously if you already knew who you wanted don't waste my time inviting me for an interview just as a formality. I'm glad my friend got the superday, but seriously it was very unprofessional of them to do what they did.

Interview Questions

• What are some qualities you think would be good for a position like this?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Harris Williams & Co. (Minneapolis, MN) in September 2015.

Interview

On campus first round interview. The interview seemed very easy. If you study for IB interviews, this one is as standard as it gets. One brain teaser but it was simple. 2 on 1 format.