Harte Hanks Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 9, 2018

2.3

Software Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Harte Hanks (Austin, TX).

Interview

I received a non-personalized e-mail via Indeed. I thought it was an agency recruiter because of how uninformative and generic it was. As it turns out, it was one of the on-site recruiters at Harte Hanks. The way I was contacted should've presented alarm to me initially.

I was between jobs due to a layoff and wanted something to hold me over for a while until I got back on my feet. I had heard that Harte Hanks provides opportunities for advancement, and that they had an extensive Training team (I am a trainer myself). My goal was to join them at the ground level and possibly work my way into the Senior training team in time. The e-mail told me that I would be a virtual software trainer, so I thought that it would be a neat new direction.

I replied to the e-mail and was again given a canned response telling me to come in for a job fair the following week. As I was not currently working I was able to make the arrangement, though I was surprised that they wanted me to just come to a job fair rather than contact me or arrange for a one-on-one. I never actually heard from the recruiter.

I got there at about 2pm, and was greeted by a woman from the recruiting team. She asked me "Fed Ex or <unintelligible>"? (she had a mouthful of food when she was speaking to me so I didn't understand). I said that I was invited to a job fair here for software training. She replied "So then Fed Ex. Sign in here." When she saw me write my name down, she practically jumped straight up. "Oh, you're MY candidate! Thanks for coming!" I took it that this was the recruiter who had contacted me.

Her attitude improved tremendously at that point, and she sat with me very briefly to describe the job. She said I would be giving virtual training presentations to Fed Ex. It sounded pretty interesting. However, the rest of the process was frustrating.

She took me to a run-down looking room off the main lobby where I was put in front of a computer to do a test. I thought it would be one of those quick personality tests, but it wound up being a 40+ minute, extensive examination. I had no clue I was going to be subjected to this. The monitor (who I believe was one of the recruiters as well) was nice enough and informative. When I got stuck because of an odd data entry glitch he helped me through it, and when I was done he walked me back up.

So, now an hour already gone, I sat and waited in the lobby with about 7 other people for a further 90 minutes. The woman continued to stay up there and eat, and not interact with anyone. When I was retrieved by the hiring manager, after nearly 3 hours of being at Harte Hanks, we went in for an interview.

The interview was extensive, lots of "by the book" scripted questions, but the guy was pleasant to talk to and broke into candid conversation about my abilities. As it turns out, I was way overqualified...way, way WAY overqualified for the position. This was not a software trainer role, it was basically an outbound customer service role that would have me walking Fed Ex customers through the Fed Ex software suite to help them ship packages. Not at all what was described (albeit vaguely) to me initially. I asked him if there was advancement opportunity, as I was already a corporate trainer. He told me that it was an entirely different role and department, and that there may be merit increases yearly to a max of $14/hr with bonus. I typically make 80K on average.

I asked to cut the interview short and left very frustrated, with over 3 hours of my time wasted. The job was not properly conveyed to me by the recruiter, the initial contact to get me to come in (also by the recruiter) was vague and unprofessional, and the entire process was boring and unnecessarily long-winded.

I'm sorry to say that I wouldn't recommend Harte Hanks based on the poor communication alone.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a variety of questions pertaining to customer support and phone etiquette.   Answer Question

Job scope was not properly conveyed to me - it seems as though the recruiter did not even look at my resume but probably just did a keyword search ("software" and "trainer" appear frequently in my resume). The pay was far too low for me - I would be taking a 70% pay cut. I was unemployed at the time but not willing to take a job that was below my current level for that kind of hourly rate.

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Harte Hanks in October 2016.

Interview

I had 4 phone interviews and 3 in person interviews on 2 different days. The interview was not overly technical and it was more situational. I met with several different people on my team and even 1 person that was not on my team. That seemed more like a culture fit check than anything.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a situation you had to say no to a client and how did you handle it   Answer Question

Client Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Harte Hanks (Austin, TX) in April 2011.

Interview

General line of questioning on areas pertaining to the role. All interviews went well, then..............silence. Appears like they do not have the cultural capacity to let you know when they decide not to progress further.

Business Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Harte Hanks (Austin, TX) in January 2013.

Interview

When I arrived I waited in a small area for the Supervisor to come interview me. Then we went into a small private room where they would ask the standard questions about the type of work I had done and whether or not I aligned with the job I was applying for. The interviewer was very good and we got along very good answered all his questions adequately that I was made an offer after this interview occurred.

Interview Questions

• Sales questions on meeting your quota, making cold calls and a lot of them. Calling on various types of campaigns and having the ability to switch roles depending on what we were offering the client.   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Harte Hanks in May 2016.

Interview

Submitted my resume for the open position and received an email from the internal recruiter the following week. Had a phone interview with the recruiter the following week and she promptly followed up to schedule a phone interview with the hiring VP.

A few days before the call the recruiter sent me an email saying that the VP had a conflict and needed to reschedule. We then scheduled the VP phone interview for the following week. A few days before the call, the the recruiter sent me an email saying that the VP had a conflict and needed to reschedule. This went on for three weeks in a row and I finally told them I was no longer interested in the role.

Although Harte Hanks has a negative industry reputation, I gave them the benefit of doubt and they proved just how bad they are at attracting quality talent. The recruiter was very nice and apologetic, but the rescheduling experience was in excusable, especially when you're trying to attract VP level Fortune 500 talent.

Account Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Harte Hanks (Austin, TX) in February 2008.

Interview

Always let your gut instinct be your guide. This company came off to me as immature and lacking strategic leadership, but the positives were that you would be able to run your own show as well as be responsible for all decisions that impact P&L. Unfortunately, that was not the case.

Interview Questions

• Honestly, the questions they asked were difficult at all. Like I said, they're a small start up company that hasn't caught up with it's billion dollars in revenue. They don't educate their leadership on how to best interview someone, so the questions are pretty general.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Very little by way of negotiation. They come up 10% on the salary, but would not negotiate benefits or bonus at all.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yardley, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Harte Hanks (Yardley, PA) in January 2012.

Interview

Phone interview and one in person interview

salary

Machine Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wilkes-Barre, PA

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Harte Hanks (Wilkes-Barre, PA) in September 2008.

Interview

The interview went well. The HR person was very helpful and very knowlegdable. The people there were able to work fast and maintain a good work ethic. The place was nice and neat. The people were nice and courtious. The interview was quick and the tour took several minutes to show us around.

Interview Questions

• How would you better staff the place??   1 Answer

Technical Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Billerica, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Harte Hanks (Billerica, MA) in June 2014.

Interview

Introduced by an external recruiter.
    Company has spent a lot of time trying to fill this particular role.
    This was a new direction for the company requiring the knowledge non-existent in the company.
    One round of phone interviews followed by two round of in-person interviews.
    Several phone calls negotiating compensation package.
    Pleasant, easy to deal with people.

Interview Questions

• Not particularly technical, probably due to the lack of subject matter expertise.   Answer Question

TELESALES Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Harte Hanks (Austin, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview process the first time was misleading. I was told by the Manager that interviewed me that he likes me and was going to reach out in a week for a formal offer. Well that took over a month and I was reinterview with a different Manager who hired me on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Are you familar with Harte Hanks   1 Answer