Hillstone Restaurant Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 25, 2017

3.3

Greeter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group (Boca Raton, FL) in May 2017.

Interview

It's a 3 step process. Not sure if that's only for inexperienced greeters like my, or for every applicant. First round I spend a total of 2 hours in the restaurant, filled out a paper application, interviewed with a manager (took about 5 minutes), took a 12minutes timed assessment test (questions are about logic, simple math, vocabulary), and then another 5 min interview with the general manager.
    Afterwards I was invited for a RJP (realistic job preview), from 5pm-7pm the next day. Here you are supposed to shadow a greeter with experience for 2 hours during prime dinner time. It was fun, I had a wonderful trainer and time flew by. You are really supposed to check out for yourself if that's the right job for you, and they observe you to check how you interact with guests, who quickly to get the gist of your future responsibilities. At 7pm I was called into the office for a quick briefing, discuss how things went etc. Another interview was scheduled for the next day to talk to somebody remotely for about 20 mins, reflect upon the RJP experience and answer a few typical interview questions. I made it through the whole process and received a call from the local restaurant with the good news that I was hired! It's a long and demanding interview process, but it makes sense because they are looking for very talented people, and the job as a greeter is more demanding than one would expect.

Interview Questions

• What makes a Houston's dining experience unique? Did you have the opportunity to build any relationships with guests during your RJP?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

When you arrive you will have to fill out a simple paper application, then you will have your first initial interview with one of the floor managers. If they like you they will have you take a test that has 50 questions related to math, problem-solving etc you have 12 minutes to complete, but you most likely won´t but it's not something that is being graded etc. Then you will have a second interview with another manager.

Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group (Newport Beach, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process is pretty extensive. I applied online, and was contacted the next day for an interview.
    1st interview - with hiring manager
    2nd interview - with assistant manager
    3rd interview - with GM
    4th interview - via zoom with HR

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group (Chicago, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

Actually, they called me for an interview the day I applied which I was very excited about. I came in the next day ready to go and they sent me home because they were 'understaffed.' She could have called me to tell me that, and not had me waste money on parking. She told me to come back the next day, which after that first blunder I wasn't sure if I was going to. Later that day they emailed me and said my application had been deleted. Extremely unprofessional company

Manager-In-Training Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group (Dallas, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

Interview process took about a month and met with all members of the HR team. This was a very professional process where I always heard back from the HR manager within a couple days (sometimes the same day). One step was a real job preview where I worked and shadowed other members of the Hillstone team to get a better understanding of the company culture and daily work environment. The company covered all the costs for the flight, uber rides and any food that was purchased along the way. Hillstone really sets the standard for successful restaurants and it shows with their interviewing process. Very excited I accepted this position.

Management Trainee Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group in February 2017.

Interview

Quick first round interview that lasted less than ten minutes. Questions were behavioral and easy to answer. Perhaps the interviewer didn't like me from the get-go, but she asked questions quickly and didn't comment much on what I had to say.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experiences and background.   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to get into the hospitality/food and beverage industry?   Answer Question
    • Do you have any experience in the food and beverage industry?   Answer Question

Manager-In-Training Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Long and Rigorous, went through 4 interviews where each one needed specific answers, and relative experience to the position. All the HR directors can be very intense, but are great people who have been with the company a long time.

Interview Questions

• What would you do as a manager to project positivity throughout the team?   Answer Question

Training Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied on line and then was asked for an initial screening on the phone. After the phone conversation, I planned a skype interview with same screener before having another skype interview with another recruiter. Now, I am about to go to New York for an in person, job preview/interview (still going through the final process)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

I had submitted my application including my resume and cover letter online and the hiring manager messaged me back saying that she was excited to meet me and set up a time to meet the upcoming week. When I got to the restaurant that day I asked for the hiring manager whom I had been messaging with and the employee there said that I wouldn't be meeting with her, that she was just who responded to messages and set up appointments and that I needed to refill out an application. There were about 5 other people there also filling out applications. When I was called over for my interview it was at a booth in the restaurant and lasted for 3 minutes (which was the same with all of the other candidates there). The person interviewing me rushed through an explanation of their training program, talked about how all the staff were like family, and said that each waiter only got 3 tables at a time. She then told me that they would contact me within 24 hours if they decided to continue with me in the interview process.

Overall just a very odd interview process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group (Atlanta, GA) in January 2017.

Interview

Three interviews and a IQ test. Odd. I've never has three interviews but I thought that was a good sign. I still didn't get the job. And they don't call to tell you that you didn't get it. I feel like it was a waste of my time

Interview Questions

• How did you help a customer that was having a bad time?   Answer Question