Hillstone Restaurant Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Hillstone Restaurant Group Interview Questions

Updated Jul 31, 2017

3.3

Server Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group.

Interview

Interview process is more difficult than other restaurants. You will wait a while for a manager to approach you, at which point you answer multiple questions before meeting with another manager who asks similar questions. You also have to take an intelligence quiz.

Server Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group.

Interview

Very intense process. Had to interview with 3 different managers, the GM and a corporate executive over a video chat service before finding out I had the job. Also had to take an SAT style sort of math/reading test after the first interview. They give you 12 minutes to answer about 80 questions. You're not expected to finish it but they want to see you answer a lot and answer them right. They're testing how smart and quick you are. This process took about 2 weeks. Not for the faint of heart.

Interview Questions

• A lot of basic interview questions but then a few curve balls thrown in like "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" and "What does teamwork mean to you?" or "What does hospitality mean to you?" and "Name a negative experience you had on the job and how you handled it?"
      They are basically seeing if you're down for teamwork, if you are all about making people happy, if you can handle yourself professionally and if you're goals driven. Do not talk about money in the interview. If they think you're only applying because of the money you probably won't get the job.   Answer Question

Server Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group.

Interview

I found the job listing on Craig's List. There was a sea of people at the open call. I filled out an application and then met briefly with the General Manager. In all, I had 3 interviews and completed an aptitude test as well as a personality assessment. It was a very professional, corporate interview process.

Interview Questions

• Q: Describe a favorite dish from a restaurant you frequent.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied online and came in for their open house on 6/8/17. I had two in-person interviews with the manager and assistant manager, one 12 minute assessment, and one video interview with an executive (the video interview was 5 days later).

Interview Questions

• What can you bring to our company? Why Hillstone? Why hospitality? What's something your nervous about?   Answer Question

Greeter/Hostess Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group (Atlanta, GA) in June 2017.

Interview

I put in an application through this website, and the hiring manager sent me a message that same night to set up an interview whenever available. Fast forward to the interview date....

As soon as I walked into the restaurant in which my interview was taking place, the stares I received from the two greeters was quite unpleasant. They looked at me as though I had no value, and if they are who management picked to join their company, then corporate needs to reevaluate management at this location. The manager who interviewed me seemed to be so disconnected and did not pay attention to a word I spoke. When finished answering each question, she would take forever to agree. Almost as though she was in some odd place. This restaurant is strange, and so is their staff. Therefore, I will not recommend anyone to interview at this location, nor will I return there to eat again.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you went above and beyond to provide excellent customer service.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

There are three rounds of interviews (two on-site and one from home via a program similar to skype you have to download). You have to take an IQ/Logic test after the second round.

Interview Questions

• Where was one time you went above and beyond. (Could be during service or real life)   Answer Question

Greeter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group (Boca Raton, FL) in May 2017.

Interview

It's a 3 step process. Not sure if that's only for inexperienced greeters like my, or for every applicant. First round I spend a total of 2 hours in the restaurant, filled out a paper application, interviewed with a manager (took about 5 minutes), took a 12minutes timed assessment test (questions are about logic, simple math, vocabulary), and then another 5 min interview with the general manager.
    Afterwards I was invited for a RJP (realistic job preview), from 5pm-7pm the next day. Here you are supposed to shadow a greeter with experience for 2 hours during prime dinner time. It was fun, I had a wonderful trainer and time flew by. You are really supposed to check out for yourself if that's the right job for you, and they observe you to check how you interact with guests, who quickly to get the gist of your future responsibilities. At 7pm I was called into the office for a quick briefing, discuss how things went etc. Another interview was scheduled for the next day to talk to somebody remotely for about 20 mins, reflect upon the RJP experience and answer a few typical interview questions. I made it through the whole process and received a call from the local restaurant with the good news that I was hired! It's a long and demanding interview process, but it makes sense because they are looking for very talented people, and the job as a greeter is more demanding than one would expect.

Interview Questions

• What makes a Houston's dining experience unique? Did you have the opportunity to build any relationships with guests during your RJP?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

When you arrive you will have to fill out a simple paper application, then you will have your first initial interview with one of the floor managers. If they like you they will have you take a test that has 50 questions related to math, problem-solving etc you have 12 minutes to complete, but you most likely won´t but it's not something that is being graded etc. Then you will have a second interview with another manager.

Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group (Newport Beach, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process is pretty extensive. I applied online, and was contacted the next day for an interview.
    1st interview - with hiring manager
    2nd interview - with assistant manager
    3rd interview - with GM
    4th interview - via zoom with HR

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group (Chicago, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

Actually, they called me for an interview the day I applied which I was very excited about. I came in the next day ready to go and they sent me home because they were 'understaffed.' She could have called me to tell me that, and not had me waste money on parking. She told me to come back the next day, which after that first blunder I wasn't sure if I was going to. Later that day they emailed me and said my application had been deleted. Extremely unprofessional company