Hillstone Restaurant Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Hillstone Restaurant Group Interview Questions

Updated Jan 11, 2018

3.3

Server Interview

Interview

If you go to either NYC location they typically hold open calls where you can drop off your application and be interviewed the very same day. The interview is very short only a few questions about yourself and your experience. Be sure to know WHY you want to work for Hillstone specifically

Greeter Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group.

Interview

Interviewed 4 times before finding out if I got accepted into the job or not. Understandable though, since they want to ensure a qualified candidate. I also had to complete a written test that included vocabulary and math questions. Loved the managers that I spoke to, they were genial and welcoming.

Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group.

Interview

The interview process was incredible. The recruiter that I spoke with was quite nice and very informative with regard to every question I had. It was obvious that she was very passionate about what she did and it reflected in the video and phone interviews.

Server Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group.

Interview

If you go in the store for an interview and look presentable/professional they will interview you on the spot. The employees are friendly but it is generally rapid fire questions of managers depending how many are present at the time. You will have to wait about 1 hour between questioning of all manager present as they are busy even at slow times to come and sit with you. However, since leaving I heard they expedited the process. They also have you interview with a VP over Skype which is honestly pointless because someone that high up is so disconnected from hiring or ground level management.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a food server?
      Why do you want to work in Hillstone?
      Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

For the 2 locations in Manhattan, you can walk in between 2/2:30-4pm and fill out an application. After doing so, you'll be asked to sit and wait for a manager. The manager usually comes within 5-10mins and asks a few questions regarding your application (I've included the questions I was asked below).

This is the first real test. If you make a good impression, you'll then be asked to take a 'logic test', which consists of 50 questions that you'll have 12 mins to answer. Think of the test as a mini SAT, but don't stress too much as you aren't expected to finish it. I was an engineering major in college and only finished 75% of the test.

After finishing, the host/hostess will score the test and give it to the store manager. 5-10mins later, the manager will come over and tell you how you did.

The 'logic test' is the second real test and I'm assuming this is where you know whether you're really a good match. I was told I did well on my test and then asked to come in the following day to meet with the general manager. If you didn't do well on the test, I assume they'll tell you to wait for a callback.

Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group in October 2017.

Interview

Long and intense. Be prepared to speak about your previous work experiences, and answer some basic interview questions. Be genuine though, they don't like to waste time with cliches. Must be open to relocation and travel.

Greeter Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

You are left waiting for almost an hour before anyone meets with you. You are interviewed by Mangers in Training. As you move through the steps and meet with numerous managers you are then asked to interview with someone via webcam, but that person is only another general manager at another location out of state. You never speak with or interview with actual corporate.

Management Training Program Interview

Application

Interview

Didnt ask that many questions and already seemed like she had her mind made up. I tried asking questions to seem engaged but I did not feel enthusiasm from the other end.

Server Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group.

Interview

Interview process is more difficult than other restaurants. You will wait a while for a manager to approach you, at which point you answer multiple questions before meeting with another manager who asks similar questions. You also have to take an intelligence quiz.

Server Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Hillstone Restaurant Group.

Interview

Very intense process. Had to interview with 3 different managers, the GM and a corporate executive over a video chat service before finding out I had the job. Also had to take an SAT style sort of math/reading test after the first interview. They give you 12 minutes to answer about 80 questions. You're not expected to finish it but they want to see you answer a lot and answer them right. They're testing how smart and quick you are. This process took about 2 weeks. Not for the faint of heart.

Interview Questions

• A lot of basic interview questions but then a few curve balls thrown in like "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" and "What does teamwork mean to you?" or "What does hospitality mean to you?" and "Name a negative experience you had on the job and how you handled it?"
      They are basically seeing if you're down for teamwork, if you are all about making people happy, if you can handle yourself professionally and if you're goals driven. Do not talk about money in the interview. If they think you're only applying because of the money you probably won't get the job.   Answer Question