Hitachi Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 10, 2017

2.8

Hybrid Electric Motor Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hitachi (Detroit, MI) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online and then conducted a phone interview with the hiring manager. After the phone interview, I was selected for an in-person interview at the Hitachi Automotive Systems Detroit, MI office. For the in-person interview, I met with the hiring manager and a director of the company. The director was rather rude and ultimately I found the process to be not very productive or professional.

Management Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Hitachi in April 2017.

Interview

I met with 2 recruiters at the Board of Labor took a test online that day they lined up another interview onsite with 3 managers in which I thought went really well and then took another on line test. Was called back to be informed they chose another candidate. Have reapplied since then to be told that if they want my criteria they will call me.

Interview Questions

• The company is very fast paced can you work in a fast paced environment?   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hitachi (Denver, CO) in April 2017.

Interview

I was interviewing with Hitachi insight group in Denver Colorado for the role of senior software engineer on a small team that would form the basis of the IoT group in Colorado.

The interview was a four step process.
    1) Phone screen with discussion of resume and experience.
    2) Technical phone screen with online problem solving.
    3) On site interview with team leads. Involved whiteboard technical problem solving.
    4) Phone screen with director of engineering.

Steps 1-3 went great, I really enjoyed the interviews and the people. They were intelligent and engaging .

Then I was forwarded to the director of engineering for final sign off (step 4). This was a phone screen and a special case for the initial small Denver team. Past the first 7 hires the director would not be involved in the interview process.

It was a really strange call from the beginning. He asked how much Java programming I was doing and I answered that I was certified in Java and had written many apps, including Android apps in Java but hadn't had the opportunity to use it as a primary language in my current role. This was the same answer I gave to the team leads earlier who indicated that although Java was their primary language, it was totally not a problem that it wasn't my strongest language.

Past that point the interview was basically over. The director suggested that I did not know how to write code and even brought up the movie Arrival as an example that if I were to start writing solely in Java now, it would take many years before I could think in Java. In the movie, he explained, aliens taught people their language and it allowed them to travel in time, much the same way writing in Java teaches you to write OO code. He then stated that I would have a very hard time learning to do something new and that I wouldn't like it. So, it was one of the strangest interviews I've had, but I was happy not to receive an offer given the level of hard ignorance that would have been my second line management.

Interview Questions

• This is the only one I remember: From the unix command prompt find all files in subfolders from your current directory that could contain dates in the format yyyy-mm-dd   1 Answer

Customer Service Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Twinsburg, OH

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hitachi (Twinsburg, OH) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview was set up through a placement agency. I had over an hour long interview with 2 managers of different departments. One kept getting up and leaving the room to take calls "putting fires out". It was very overwhelming because I was essentially interviewing for 2 separate positions. There were massive amounts of information thrown at me and I had a tough time distinguishing the two jobs. The end of the interview was left at, "well...which one do you thin you would want to do?" My overall impression of the company was they were about to undergo a large merger in a short period of time and not even the management knew what was going on. I honestly left feeling like I didn't even think I wanted to work for a company as disorganized as this one.

Interview Questions

• Which job do you think you can do?   1 Answer

Logistics Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hitachi (Dallas, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

There was 2 rounds of interviews, and the process was standard as for competency of role and responsibilities. Hiring manager did approve teleconference for the interviews, as I was located out of state while applying for the role.

Interview Questions

• One of the questions that was asked was my knowledge of shipping Incoterms.   Answer Question

Hybrid Motor Design Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hitachi (Rockville, MD) in February 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by a US manager who was accompanied by another manager from Japan. They proceeded to share more information about their company and the type of work that I will be doing. They explained the difference between working at the Michigan office, which is more customer support-based, and Kentucky, which is more focused on the design side of things. You can expect very basic behavioral questions and I get a sense that they wanted me to unite my interests with the goals of the company.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hitachi.

Interview

basic questions on experiences, what type of equipment, plcs, exc that you have worked with. not a fast process i had 3 phone interviews and 2 in person. Why do you want to work for the company? Why are you leaving your current employer. make sure to ask about benefits and when they start.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The recruiter called and made me an offer. I didn't negotiate since it was a nice bump in pay from my previous job.

R&D Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hitachi (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone interview, asked about major, courses I took, went over the items on my resume. Asked a few more questions about my research project in school and technical question when I hit a certain real world problem, how are I going to solve it.

Interview Questions

• Why do you pursue a master's degree in mechanical engineering?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrodsburg, KY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hitachi (Harrodsburg, KY) in October 2016.

Interview

I was grilled with technical questions for over 90 minutes on the phone before being asked to come to their plant for a face-to-face interview a few days later. At the plant, I was grilled with another 90 minutes of technical questions by a whole new group. At no time did they show me the factory floor or office work environment. I actually had to ask what they made for the interviewer to show me in a different office. To this day, I don't know how many "free overtime" hours engineers are expected to work (Hitachi is notorious for abusing salary exempts), how much PTO, or other fringe benefits; they never tried to sell the company to me and I would be just a number. Upon leaving, the rudeness of the employees was just starting. Since they ended the interview during shift change, the plant employees wouldn’t let me cross the driveway to get to my car. After I got to the car, I couldn’t pull out of the visitor parking lot until practically every single employee in line had exited the plant. I would NOT accept a position from this company if they had offered.

Interview Questions

• What was the magnetic energy product of the magnets you used to design the electric motors you developed?   1 Answer

IOT Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hitachi (Santa Clara, CA).

Interview

Not very tough. Process took 2 weeks. It was a senior level position , I was a new graduate but as I was referred i was called for the interview

Interview Questions

• String pallindrome, design problems, stock price question.   Answer Question