Hortonworks Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Hortonworks

3.1

Tech Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hortonworks (San Jose, CA) in July 2018.

Interview

They contacted me, I was not interested, they told me to contact them in the future if I found a position. I send a linkedin message to the HR who contacted me with the positions I found and got a call from him an hour later and the first thing he did was shouted "stop spamming me!!". How is a linkedin message a spam!! Dont tell people to get back to you if you want to be rude to them. Worst HR ever. I hope they never call me again and I am for sure not applying ever and am definitely not encouraging any of my connections to apply here either.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hortonworks in July 2018.

Interview

Typical interview process, first call with recruiter, then a second call with the Site Reliability Engineer Manager, then a third call with the Security Director. Final call would have been with the CIO.

Interview Questions

• How would you separate data in a kubernetes hypervisor infrastructure for PCI?   1 Answer
    • What I am asking is how you would separate data in the hypervisors?   1 Answer
    • When looking at PAN data, how would you separate data in the hypervisor?   1 Answer

Premier Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hortonworks (Santa Clara, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

interviewer called for 30 min phone screen but went more than 45 mins. Asked some basic questions to evaluate hadoop knowledge. Looks like interviewer had a basic understanding on all hadoop stack and covering only high level. Never evaluated to core even though SME in mostly used hadoop stack. Asked only which he is good at. Not standard evaluation.

Interview Questions

• 1)what are different stages in mapreduce job?
      2)What will happen to job in oozie when master server goes down in HA enable oozie
      3)How do you take total partition count for hive base.
      4) How do you calculate cluster disk utilization ( question wasnt framed well)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Hortonworks.

Interview

First the recruiter called me to go over my experience. After that I got a phone interview from the manager. The phone interview was technical. Then I was invited for a on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• Asked to describe hadoop architecture and some of its components.
      Asked to write code to find a number in a file   Answer Question

Revenue Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hortonworks (Santa Clara, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

Recruiter called for a brief discussion then setup the onsite interview directly. Usually there is a phone call by the hiring manager before the onsite interviews.
    When I met the hiring manager at the end of the onsite interviews, I felt a profile and expectation mismatch.

Interview Questions

• Have you worked on NetSuite before?   1 Answer
    • Have you used ARM in NetSuite to do Revenue recognition?   1 Answer
    • Have you used Variable Consideration, Contract Modification in your current organization?   Answer Question
    • Have you been referred by an employee?   1 Answer

Solutions Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Hortonworks (Santa Clara, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

I was an internal recommendation for the role and knew the hiring manager.

It started with a brief interview by the internal recruiter for the role and abbreviated due to my familiarity with the hiring manager. The next step was to interview with the hiring manager, but since I had a prior relationship with the manager, a peer of his substituted. After this step, for which I received high praise, I was given a 5-problem assignment to stand up a multi-node Hadoop cluster together with a dataset and then provide responses to the problems using the HDP Ambari-based tools. They gave me 2 weeks to complete the process, though it could readily be completed over a weekend. Upon completing the exercise I developed a presentation for what they called a "readout" that was attended by 3 managers (my friend and 2 peers) as well as the hiring manager's manager (SE Director). The technical exercise itself was riddled with issues and I was provided an insufficient budget for the cluster hosting. Fortunately, the hiring manager was available and more than willing to help me through the issues. In the end however, despite demonstrating effective presentation skills and mostly acing the readout, I was rejected for technical reasons (reasons that were known early in the process and could have saved weeks of time had the hiring manager known he would be denied final decision authority).

Interview Questions

• Why should the client buy from Hortonworks even though the software is open source?   1 Answer

Sales Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Hortonworks (Santa Clara, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reached out via LinkedIn.
    1 phone screen, 2 online aptitude tests, then 4 separate onsite visits over the course of 4 weeks.

Nearly everyone I interviewed with was sharp and genuine. Would have enjoyed working there I think.

However, recruiting is disconnected from the business and needs help:
    - I was given the wrong aptitude test first (had to take 2 tests)
    - 4 separate onsite interviews could have easily been consolidated to 2 visits with some more scheduling effort (coordinator admitted my experience was not unusual)
    - No coordinated effort on interview lineup; process seemed to be ad hoc, determined by the interviewer each week.

Interview Questions

• Typical CV based, experience questions   Answer Question
    • What's your X factor? The one thing that sets you apart from other candidates?   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Hortonworks in February 2017.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me about the open position, so I decided to take the phone call. My first phone call was with the recruiter, she thought I would be a good fit so she passed me along to a senior recruiter. The senior recruiter was absolutely horrible - she told me that she didn't even look at my resume. I asked her to explain the company in more detail and she sounded very unsure of herself and barely even answered my question. She went on to ask about my past experience and was shocked when I told her that I didn't have a software background - I would think if the recruiter reached out to ME - he/she would have done some research before they decided to contact me. What really irked me was she started questioning why I wanted to commute all the way to Santa Clara. As I mentioned before, it would have been nice if you read my resume before you called me. And once again YOU (the recruiting dept) reached out to me, I didn't apply. Of course I never heard a follow up on my status..This was absolutely the worst phone screen I had in my life - they were terribly unprofessional, unorganized, and my impression lacked experience. Spend some money on your recruiters! Your company left a terrible taste in my mouth. I even had a couple of friends screen with this company and they had a similar experience.

Hortonworks Response

Mar 28, 2017 – Manager of Recruiting

To say I'm disappointed by your experience would be an understatement. I sincerely appreciate your feedback and your candid detail. While I will not make excuses, I will promise to learn what happened. Good luck to you and we wish you a successful remainder to 2017.

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hortonworks.

Interview

Call by staffing agency who asked for background and resume and forwarded to the company. Was scheduled for Phone interview with programming followed by Onsite interview with multiple 1 on 1 with different people focused on programming.

Visual Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hortonworks (Santa Clara, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Heard back within a week. Phone screening and then phone interview. Came in for the in-person interview. I gave a small presentation of a few past projects. Went really well, lead designer was thrilled to bring be aboard.The next coming week when I came to follow up, the recruiter said that they were changing their minds and that they were closing the position because they realized they didn't have enough work for a new designer. Incredibly unprofessional process - the team should have decided that prior to posting up the job.