Hortonworks Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Director, Channel Sales Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Hortonworks (Boston, MA) in December 2015.

Interview

Screening call with recruiter, quickly on to RVP and SVP of channel Sales. Initial contact to offer in less than 14 days. Focus on revenue generation and execution. Experience in open source helpful but not required.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Hortonworks.

Interview

There were two recruiter interviews, one technical phone screen and an onsite interview. I found out I was getting an offer the next day after the onsite. Their process moved very quickly.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Hortonworks (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

The interviews were average both the phone and the onsite interview. Thought I got most of it okay. Although the interviewers switched positions or werent available for the day. I havent received an offer and I doubt they will send me one. However the least you would expect is for HR to call back and reply even in the negtive and some feedback might be good. Like another interviewer said Hortonworks might be doing some good work however they are completely disorganized and dont think the interviewees time is valuable enough for any sort of feedback from them. Wouldnt work here even if they called back.

Interview Questions

• nothing difficult just standard datastructures or algorithms   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

They dont know how to interview.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hortonworks in June 2016.

Interview

Hiring process is very unprofessional.
    Had a HR phone interview and went over my experience and skills on my resume. She said I would move forward to the next phone interview and set up the schedule. But I didn't have any phone calls or emails since then. I asked her what was going on, there was no reply.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hortonworks in March 2016.

Interview

Started off well and ended well. Online collabedit technical challenge with an engineer. Started off with discussing some work experience, then coding questions and ended with me asking the engineer questions.

Interview Questions

• I was asked 2 coding questions which I basically solved in 20 minutes.
      1. count words in a string
      2. find 2 numbers in an array that sum to a target number

During the middle of the 2nd question the interviewer basically asked me to stop and said I know you can easily code this. He asked me the time complexity to which I answered ~O(NlogN). He asked if I could do better than that and he suggested using a hash which was fine. But then that would have meant using additional O(N) space as opposed to my in place sorting.
      Had a good conversation and was definitely expecting a call back for an onsite interview.

2 days later the recruiter emailed me saying the interviewer thought I did not have a good understanding of time complexity.

What a piece of crap.

If you are going to interview and analyze a candidate over a technical coding challenge after they are actually able to solve all questions, then you need to have better open minded people doing the interview. I could give the name out of the recruiter and the interviewer but rather not. Try and make sure your people have good interviewing skills and know how to select a candidate. 20 mins for 2 problems correctly demands an onsite interview call at the very least.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Hortonworks.

Interview

First the recruiter called me to go over my experience. After that I got a phone interview from the manager. The phone interview was technical. Then I was invited for a on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• Asked to describe hadoop architecture and some of its components.
      Asked to write code to find a number in a file   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hortonworks (Mountain View, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

i send in my resume, recruiter contacted me, setup a phone interview, and then setup an onsite interview. i wasn't too impressed during the interview and they didn't give me an offer as well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hortonworks (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Hiring manager contacted me first. Then they checked for matching teams. Once they found a match I interviewed with the corresponding team. The requirement was for big data and the interview was mostly system level. Lot of architecture questions were asked along with algorithm questions. There were overall 5 interviews.

Software Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Hortonworks in October 2014.

Interview

Was contacted on LinkedIn, went through the pre-checks and the interviewer never completed the call. It was a horrible experience. The recruiter that contacted me seemed very interested in setting up a follow up interview, and we even scheduled a date and time to complete this. After that time came and went, the recruiter never contacted me again, not even a word that they decided to not interview me. If you're going to setup an interview, you should at least follow through on your commitment.

Interview Questions

• A lot of the questions were around the nature of the job, how do you troubleshoot, collaborate remotely, etc.   1 Answer

Visual Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hortonworks (Santa Clara, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Heard back within a week. Phone screening and then phone interview. Came in for the in-person interview. I gave a small presentation of a few past projects. Went really well, lead designer was thrilled to bring be aboard.The next coming week when I came to follow up, the recruiter said that they were changing their minds and that they were closing the position because they realized they didn't have enough work for a new designer. Incredibly unprofessional process - the team should have decided that prior to posting up the job.