HotelTonight Interview Questions | Glassdoor

HotelTonight Interview Questions

Interviews at HotelTonight

2.9

Market Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HotelTonight in April 2019.

Interview

The interview process started with a 15 minute call with a recruiter, followed by a 30 min video call with a Regional Manager. Both calls went very well and I was asked to do an onsite interview with a few other members on the team. The recruiter said I would not be reimbursed but I was within driving distance, so I said I could drive up and stay with a friend. I did this because I had genuine interest in the position and was excited to move forward as quickly as possible and meet with team members in person.

When I got to the onsite, I was greeted by the recruiter I had been in contact with who was very nice and welcoming. However, she did not tell me until the day of the interview that instead of meeting with 3-4 people, I would only be meeting with two people and it would only take about an hour, which was a bit disappointing. The two candidates I met with didn't seem very relevant to the role I was applying for, which I thought was weird because my 2nd interview was with someone directly on the team I was applying for. The first guy I met with didn't even know the exact position I was applying for, and it seemed like he was just filling in for someone last minute. He then looked at my resume and after explaining my interests in analytics, implied that the position would probably be boring to me because it was mainly soft skills. This seemed weird and threw me off a bit, as in my second interview I was told that I would be using Tableau and analytics was important to my role. I left the interview a bit confused about what they were looking for in the role and felt a bit misunderstood, as I was told different things between the second and third round. A few days after my onsite, I was rejected. It was a bit frustrating, as I had taken the time and my own money to do the onsite and didn't really get a chance to meet with actual team members I would be working with, which was what the recruiter had mentioned. If I had known, I would have proceeded with video calls. I left the whole process feeling mainly confused, as it was a competitive role but didn't feel as though I had a fair chance to prove myself in the onsite.

Interview Questions

HotelTonight Response

Jun 19, 2019 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for sharing a review of your interview. We sincerely apologize for the scheduling confusion and that your interviewer seemed distracted. We value your time as a candidate and can assure you that your experience is not a reflection of HotelTonight's culture.

Market Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at HotelTonight (San Francisco, CA) in March 2019.

Interview

Phone screen with recruiter, phone call with hiring manager, in person interview with a couple different panelists and each with a different theme and different hotel related case questions.

Interview Questions

• Case related hotel questions, if you were x and had this data what would you do?   Answer Question

Mar 19, 2019 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for taking the time to interview with us and happy to hear that you had a positive experience. Appreciate the feedback!

Market Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HotelTonight.

Interview

The interview process was extremely unprofessional. There were multiple scheduling errors to start. The first call with a recruiter I had, she seemed very uninterested and sounded like she was reading from a script. When I followed up to see what next steps would be, she said they were moving on to other candidates and were no longer interested in me. I replied and asked for feedback on my interview for learning purposes. A half hour later, she emailed me again saying that the email declining me was an accident and they would like to move forward with me.. When the emails were not automated, the recruiter had typos/spelling errors etc,, After a scheduling discrepancy which was blamed on time zone differences (?) - I was finally able to schedule the next few rounds. I met with multiple people on site, and I thought the interviews went well. The people in the office were very nice and interested in learning about my background, although the questions were very scripted and they wrote down everything you said. I received a generic automated email that I did not get the job. I responded to this email asking for feedback and did not hear back. The process was very unorganized and it seems there's a major disconnect between HR and the HQ offices. I would think after interviewing with 5+ people I would receive some sort of feedback on my interview not an automated reply.

Interview Questions

HotelTonight Response

Feb 4, 2019 – Senior Talent Partner

Thank you for taking the time to interview with HotelTonight and for sharing your feedback. We know interviewing is not easy, and it's disappointing to hear that your experience interviewing with us wasn't a great one. We try to make sure everyone enjoys the interview process at HotelTonight, but sometimes we don't succeed. I will pass along this feedback to the team.

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HotelTonight in February 2019.

Interview

I was contacted by the recruiter a week after I submitted my application for the role. It started off with an initial HR phone screen where we went over the job description and my profile to see if this could be a good fit for both sides followed by a code share interview with one of their Data engineers where I was tested on my ability to convert a business problem into a SQL query, questions were pretty straight forward and if you are confident with basics of joins and aggregations then you should be fine here. I personally did well on one of the questions and had to talk through my approach on solving the other one with the interviewer as I felt I was on the right track to solving it.

I was then contacted again to have a conversation with the hiring manager - which went well where we discussed the career path and projects being currently worked on at the company and the scope for growth.

Finally I was asked to talk with their Head of Data and Strategy - which was a behavioral interview session for about 30 mins and then followed by another code share interview with one of their other Data Engineers - this time they said they'll be testing my python skills. The behavioral interview was good and the interviewer looked genuinely interested in learning about my responses and also was interested in explaining and sharing his views about the company. All that said the python interview was a joke, they were testing me to write one line functions where they test you to see if you know the basic python data structures. I was atleast expecting to be tested on solving a problem where you need to work your brain to come up with a solution but this one was just dumb. I wrote all the answers in 5 mins and then guess what the interviewer said that's it and its done. Are you literally testing to see if the candidate lied or not about his python skills?

Anyways after sailing through all these rounds I was really hopeful of making it to the onsite to meet the team as every single person with whom I spoke to throughout these rounds very polite, treated me well, listened and shared their thoughts without any hesitation which I totally loved it, but it was unfortunate that I was notified that the team decided to move on with another candidate which left me disappointed, but the HR did give me feedback on why this was the case which I greatly appreciate as it means a lot to get some sort of feedback after investing your time and effort for about 2 weeks. Overall the interview process was decent enough except for the python coding test. You really need to up that part in the future, if you want to hire the best!

(I just read that AirBnb has acquired HotelTonight - I wish the team all the very best!)

Interview Questions

• Write a SQL query to calculate an aggregated metric based on predefined a schema   Answer Question

Mar 11, 2019 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you very much for your feedback and we're happy to hear that you had a positive experience for the most part. We will share your comments with the hiring team to improve our coding assessments going forward.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HotelTonight (San Francisco, CA) in December 2018.

Interview

Assumed discrimination, by HotelTonight towards me, is my reasoning for writing this review. I cannot say for sure that discrimination happened, but I theres enough circumstantial evidence to support this theory. During my interview I was told, by the Director of the department, that I was too analytical for the role. At the time I considered this good feedback. However, their Recruiter reached out after the interview to say that I did not get the role because I was not analytical enough. She literally contradicted the Director. They encourage candidates to give feedback about the interview process. I emailed back asking why the Recruiter contradicted the Director. They did not respond to my inquiry. When a company refuses to explain their reasoning behind a candidate rejection they have to provide a legal, valid reason for doing so. Because they refused to answer my question, and contradicted themselves, I can only assume that there was something about me that they did not like, but they were not able to divulge the real reason because it's either an unethical, or possibly, illegal reasoning. Hoteltonight does not judge candidates based on their background and successes, but on reasons that they refuse to discuss for some reason.

Interview Questions

• How do you get clients to load rooms on to the platform? What strategies would you employ to make your clients successful?   Answer Question

Mar 8, 2019 – Sr. Director of People

Thank you for sharing this feedback and we are truly sorry you had a negative experience. In this case the hiring manager misspoke and we can fully understand why this was frustrating for you. Again, we sincerely apologize.

N/A Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at HotelTonight (San Francisco, CA) in December 2018.

Interview

The interview process started very strong and I met with several people during multiple rounds of phone and onsite interviews. The process was lengthy and although I met with key stakeholders, etc. I was led to believe that things we very favorable. Once I completed the process, I was told that they would be meeting with other candidates for the role in the next couple of days and they would get back to me on next steps. I appreciated the quick turnaround to get back to me, it was just unfortunate that they decided to move in another direction and needed to pivot and recalibrate their direction. Note to company, make those types of decisions before engaging a candidate through several rounds of interviews during your initial calibration. I was completely transparent throughout the interview process and would have assumed they would have done their due diligence as well.

I have worked in my field for some time and I really thought the company saw the value I could bring to not only the team, but the organization, but glad that their disorganized true colors showed when they had. I am sure that they will find a better fit for the role and wish them luck, but realized pretty quickly that this is not a culture that is right for me.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a challenging stakeholder you have had and how did you partner with them?   Answer Question

Feb 4, 2019 – Senior Talent Partner

Thank you for taking the time to interview with HotelTonight. Every role that we add to the hiring plan is carefully evaluated for its direct impact on the company’s KPIs. However, sometimes our plans must shift if priorities change. I'm sorry that this negatively impacted your experience with us and your feedback is taken seriously. I'll make sure to pass this along to to the team.

IOS Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HotelTonight (San Francisco, CA) in September 2018.

Interview

Process was pretty standard; initial phone screen, tech call, live coding challenge, and an onsite interview.

What set HotelTonight apart from others was their candidate experience. Their job posting was verbose and expanded on the first 1, 3, 6, 12 months on the job. Also, the recruiter laid out expectations for the interview process and the level of communication, both of which were fully met.

I was bummed to hear there wasn't an offer to join the team, but I'm glad I got to experience interviewing with HotelTonight; they for sure set a standard.

Customer Experience Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HotelTonight (Dallas, TX) in August 2018.

Interview

While the interview process was lengthy, it was informative and all of my interviewers were outstanding! The recruiter was always engaged in each step of the interview process. The interview process at this company is great, to say the least.

Interview Questions

• Name a time in which you were faced with a difficult situation regarding a customer, and how to did you go above and beyond to assist?   Answer Question

Chat Agent Interview

Interview

I never made it past the first interview... but i recieced an email after filling out an online app and was contacted via email by a recruiting agent. I was told they were interested in discussing the position further (aka: interview). I selected the link and was brought to a webpage that listed out available times for an interview. I selected the time and was contacted for a phone interview.

Interview Questions

• What was it that interested me most about working for HotelTonight?   1 Answer

Business Development Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at HotelTonight (New York, NY) in April 2018.

Interview

Initial phone screen went as expected, I introduced myself along with providing a full spectrum of my accomplishments, skills, KPIs to date. I then highlighted my relevant work history to demonstrate an appropriate alignment within HotelTonight's business model. I felt extremely confident going into the call and got a good sense that I positioned myself as specialist in sales and business development (i.e. proven track record, someone who knows what they're doing)

My interviewer, Sam, then asked me a handful of situational questions, "what if" scenarios, and other hypothetical queries that I felt were completely unproductive as it didn't add any value to our discussion. I offered to have a more strategic conversation covering performance metrics and quota. I'd like to point out was that Sam kept yawning while she was speaking. Suggesting that "something was in the air" making her tired. It was not a one-off occurrence - she abruptly yawned mid-conversation about 5 or 6 times. I almost suggested that she'd take a nap and continue our discussion another time - out of courtesy I bit my tongue and didn't mention it.

I was then pressured to end our call 15 mins early because of a general angst and disrespectful phone demeanor. Sam cut me off with an entirely condescending tone "Any more questions?"

A few days later I received a canned email response from Sam indicating that their team decided not to move forward. I politely acknowledged the note and followed up with requesting some feedback and at least some sort of indication of their thought process behind the decision Having since been ignored and wasn't made aware of any updates since, I chose to write this Glassdoor review. While I believe HotelTonight has a defined structure for candidates that span across both CA and NY locations, neither party benefitted from connecting on the phone that day. In fact, I truly felt it was a waste of our time. I also felt this was a reflection of Sam' individual behavior and performance. I could sense that she wasn't engaged professionally and had her mind on other matters.