HotelTonight Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at HotelTonight

Sort:

People Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at HotelTonight (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The interview process was fantastic. The recruiter and hiring manager were incredibly friendly and helpful, kept me updated at every stage of the process with feedback from the interview team, and made sure I knew what the next steps were. Everyone I spoke with seemed really well prepared and each meeting felt more like a really good conversation than an interview.

They prepared me very well for the Test Drive (leading a group conversation around a topic in your area of expertise) and the hiring manager made himself available to answer any questions I had about the format, my talking points, or what the team was looking for. Compared to formal presentations I have made during interviews with other companies, the test drive gave me a much better idea of what it's like to actually work at HotelTonight, as opposed to what it's like to just interview there. I could tell that they are a collaborative, respectful, fun, and supportive group, and I walked away feeling more confident that it was a fit for me than I had with other companies I was interviewing with. It was a lot of work to prepare, but it was worth it because I got just as much out of it as they did.

Interview Questions

• What do you want to get out of working here? What motivates you?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at HotelTonight in June 2017.

Interview

I had a phone interview with an android engineer. After that I was given an android project to finish that took around 6-7 hours. I sent the project to them, the response the very next morning -> the guy who interviewed me applied for the senior position I was applying for. They never thought of notifying that to me in advance and decided to let me waste my time with the project.

Interview Questions

HotelTonight Response

Oct 16, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for sharing feedback on your experience, and we certainly don't like to hear that it wasn't a great one. We made changes to the coding challenge element of the interview process last month... More

Business Development Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HotelTonight (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview process consisted of 4 stages. First an initial screening call, a written prompt, call with a regional lead and lastly an in house interview with COO, 2 regional leads and 2 market managers.

Interview Questions

• How would you describe how you've changed since you began your career and now?   Answer Question

Jun 7, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

We're happy to hear you had a positive experience interviewing with the team. Thank you for taking the time to come in and learn more about HotelTonight!

Business Development Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HotelTonight.

Interview

Process started off great. The recruiter reached out to me immediately via email and we set up time to discuss. She told me the process would consist of 4 stages: 1) Initial screening 2) Written assignment 3) Interview with manager over the phone 4) Onsite with people that were not named. I finished stage 2 and heard nothing else for a week after being told I would hear early the following week. I waited and ultimately decided to email the recruiter to follow up. She forgot about me and said they decided to go with someone with more experience, despite applying for an entry level role that fit all of their qualifications. The lack of overall feedback confused me.

The unprofessionalism from the recruiter was frustrating.

Interview Questions

• 1. When pitching potential hotel partners to join HotelTonight, what do you foresee being the 3 biggest challenges you’ll face and how would you overcome them?

2. Let's say you are the Market Coordinator for Santa Barbara. Please share with us 3 actions you would take with existing or potential hotel partners to secure the best possible supply. Please also explain why you will take each of these actions.

3. Imagine you oversee the Denver market and there is a huge event in town this weekend that has sold out most hotels in the city. How would you manage this situation to ensure you have great last minute inventory?

4. Please craft a first-touch sales email that you would send to a prospective hotel partner. Please include information about the HT value prop and why they should work with HotelTonight.   Answer Question

Jul 19, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your feedback. We understand that candidates invest a good amount of their time into the written exercise, and we do the same on our end. The Hiring Team reviews and discusses each... More

Application

Interview

Interview process was very seamless. I had a call with the recruiter, then a call with a regional manager. After that, I came onsite to meet with 5 managers, including the one from the call. After a follow-up call with the recruiter, I was extended an offer.

Interview Questions

• How would you work within your market/region to ensure you don't run out of inventory?   Answer Question

Jul 25, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

I love hearing that you had a positive experience with us during the Recruiting process! We put a lot of effort into making the process as fun, informative, and thoughtful as possible, so I'm really... More

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HotelTonight (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Fairly straight forward process. Everyone I met was extremely nice and definitely had a passion for working @ HotelTonight.

1) Phone screen w/ recruiter - We just discussed the role and my background.

2) Skills Assessment - A few questions that were related to tasks you would be performing if hired. Took about 4 hours in total. Got the sense they were more around how you think than the answer in itself.

3) Phone interview - Situational question related to the job.

4) On-site - Interviewed with 4 people in total. Each interviewer seemed to be genuinely interested in getting to know me and the conversations we very casual. My last interviewer was the COO who basically sold me on taking the offer.

All in all, not super difficult. Just come prepared with knowledge of the HotelTonight product. Also, my recruiter was super helpful in preparing for each interview so definitely take advantage of that.

Received an offer the next week.

Interview Questions

HotelTonight Response

Jul 25, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

We're so happy to hear that you had such a great experience during your interview and decided to join the team! We always try to set our candidates up for success and prepare them before interviews... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at HotelTonight (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

First stage was the brief 15 minute phone screen with the recruiter where he laid out the details and expectations for the position. Did not really ask me any questions, it was more of him explaining about the job.

The next step was the written assignment. Gave me 3-4 days to prepare.

Then, a 1-on-1 phone interview with a general manager, which lasted about 20 mins. Asked about my background, previous experiences, and why I applied for HT.

After about a week, I was invited into their office in SF for a 3 hour interview where I got to meet 5 different people (team members, COO).

Even though I didn't get the position, everyone was friendly and they made me feel welcomed with snacks and a tour of the office. It felt like a great place to work for.

One thing I didn't really appreciate was that they didn't really give feedback as to why I didn't get the position. I got notified by a one sentence email basically saying "Sorry, you didn't get the position".

But besides that, the whole process was efficient and the hiring manager was quick to respond to my questions throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• Why HT, your previous experience working in a team, strengths and weaknesses, etc   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HotelTonight (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

-Interviewed at the end of July-early August. Received an offer mid-August.
    -Initial phone interview with recruiter, written assignment, call with regional manager, on-site interview

Overall, it wasn't that difficult of a process. I was finishing up college on the east coast, and the team was super considerate of my schedule and working with me throughout the process. The HotelTonight recruiters were a great resource and helped prepare me for each round, so don't be afraid to ask questions. Research and know as much as you can about HotelTonight's product.

Application

Interview

I found the position through LinkedIn on their company page and applied online. The questions in their form to submit felt relevant and crucial to understanding if I was a serious candidate and passionate about the role. It was by far the easiest application I have ever submitted in my life - and a great representation of their work as a tech company.

Shortly after I submitted my online application (within 2 days), a coordinator from their HR department (Sam C.) contacted me to set up an initial phone call to chat with her about the role and my experience. It was very casual and meant to genuinely get to know about why I was applying and my experience. She was my contact / resource throughout the entire process which was great to have a point of reference to get to know and be familiar with - something I haven't seen as strong in other companies before.

Since our call went well, she told me while on the phone that she would be sending over a written assignment to complete and send back within the next few days. The questions in the assignment related to managing hotel partnerships and thinking about how to ensure inventory on the app, regardless of what may be going on in the market. It was a good test for me to figure out if I would enjoy the job if I did receive an offer. Upon completion and review of my work, I was moved onto the next round. Keep in mind all communication with HR was immediate, direct and never left me questioning what was to come next.

She then set-up a follow-up call a few days later with an individual on the Supply Team to talk with in a more in-depth fashion about the position and get to know me better. This call was 30 minutes long yet was meant to see if there was a fit (as Market Coordinators are meant to be easy to talk to and social for HT's partner relationships). The individual I spoke with was extremely friendly and was open about the team and what my day-to-day work life would be like.

Something to note about applying is that in the final step of the process they require an in-person visit to the office (at your expense - which isn't an issue for individuals in the area already). I was happy about this being expected to meet everyone in person and figure out if I could see myself there. I had 5 back-to-back interviews of 30-minute increments in their SF office with a variety of individuals from my potential team. After that experience I knew I loved the company and I was glad that I could have that meeting before having to make a decision. The HR coordinator said that they could have set up a Zoom video call with the individuals to be able to determine if we should move onto the next step quicker (if I couldn't fly within the next week) but that an in-person visit is required.

I received an offer within a week of meeting the team in person and had phone calls set-up with the same HR coordinator to discuss salary, start date and benefits of the company. The offer came through Docusign which is very easy to navigate and fill out electronically.

Throughout the entire process I felt that the HR coordinator was a support in the interviews and that she was helping me do my best. Whenever I had questions I was welcomed to ask them. Over the month, I had a few last-minute calls set-up with the HR coordinator to go over any additional areas of concern or prepare for a call.

The process was extremely natural and whenever I felt confident about the interview or talk with someone on their team, it was reciprocated. They do not ask trick questions and truly want to know your story. HT is a fun, young company and therefore it is not a rigid experience applying for the role. By the end of the process when I received my offer I knew 100% that I would be taking the job and that I had adequate knowledge of the company and team.

Interview Questions

• Why are you applying for this position?
      Why are you applying to work for HT specifically?
      What are you most excited about for the position?
      What is your favorite movie?
      Where is your favorite place to travel?
      How do you work in teams? Are you competitive?
      Why do you want to work in a client-facing role? Do you have client-facing experience?
      Do you like receiving feedback on your performance?
      What are your best/worst qualities?   Answer Question

Sep 21, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Oh my goodness, your review made my day! And I'm so vey happy to hear that you loved working with Sam (she's fantastic) and found the interview experience to be thorough, thoughtful, and fun. We... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at HotelTonight (San Francisco, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

3 page research exercise to understand your thought process for the role. 15 minute phone interview, followed by an in-person interview in their hip San Francisco offices. 3 hour interview with 4 individuals from the partner strategy/management team.

Unfortunately, the hiring manager was out sick and the COO was in a meeting during my interview time. Everybody was very accommodating and helpful, though.

Interview Questions

• How would you approach a busy weekend where the hotels in your market have mostly booked rooms?   Answer Question