HotelTonight Interview Questions | Glassdoor

HotelTonight Interview Questions

Updated Oct 8, 2018

People Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at HotelTonight (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The interview process was fantastic. The recruiter and hiring manager were incredibly friendly and helpful, kept me updated at every stage of the process with feedback from the interview team, and made sure I knew what the next steps were. Everyone I spoke with seemed really well prepared and each meeting felt more like a really good conversation than an interview.

They prepared me very well for the Test Drive (leading a group conversation around a topic in your area of expertise) and the hiring manager made himself available to answer any questions I had about the format, my talking points, or what the team was looking for. Compared to formal presentations I have made during interviews with other companies, the test drive gave me a much better idea of what it's like to actually work at HotelTonight, as opposed to what it's like to just interview there. I could tell that they are a collaborative, respectful, fun, and supportive group, and I walked away feeling more confident that it was a fit for me than I had with other companies I was interviewing with. It was a lot of work to prepare, but it was worth it because I got just as much out of it as they did.

Interview Questions

• What do you want to get out of working here? What motivates you?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at HotelTonight in June 2017.

Interview

I had a phone interview with an android engineer. After that I was given an android project to finish that took around 6-7 hours. I sent the project to them, the response the very next morning -> the guy who interviewed me applied for the senior position I was applying for. They never thought of notifying that to me in advance and decided to let me waste my time with the project.

Interview Questions

HotelTonight Response

Oct 16, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for sharing feedback on your experience, and we certainly don't like to hear that it wasn't a great one. We made changes to the coding challenge element of the interview process last month... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HotelTonight (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview process consisted of 4 stages. First an initial screening call, a written prompt, call with a regional lead and lastly an in house interview with COO, 2 regional leads and 2 market managers.

Interview Questions

• How would you describe how you've changed since you began your career and now?   Answer Question

Jun 7, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

We're happy to hear you had a positive experience interviewing with the team. Thank you for taking the time to come in and learn more about HotelTonight!

Business Development Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HotelTonight.

Interview

Process started off great. The recruiter reached out to me immediately via email and we set up time to discuss. She told me the process would consist of 4 stages: 1) Initial screening 2) Written assignment 3) Interview with manager over the phone 4) Onsite with people that were not named. I finished stage 2 and heard nothing else for a week after being told I would hear early the following week. I waited and ultimately decided to email the recruiter to follow up. She forgot about me and said they decided to go with someone with more experience, despite applying for an entry level role that fit all of their qualifications. The lack of overall feedback confused me.

The unprofessionalism from the recruiter was frustrating.

Interview Questions

• 1. When pitching potential hotel partners to join HotelTonight, what do you foresee being the 3 biggest challenges you’ll face and how would you overcome them?

2. Let's say you are the Market Coordinator for Santa Barbara. Please share with us 3 actions you would take with existing or potential hotel partners to secure the best possible supply. Please also explain why you will take each of these actions.

3. Imagine you oversee the Denver market and there is a huge event in town this weekend that has sold out most hotels in the city. How would you manage this situation to ensure you have great last minute inventory?

4. Please craft a first-touch sales email that you would send to a prospective hotel partner. Please include information about the HT value prop and why they should work with HotelTonight.   Answer Question

Jul 19, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your feedback. We understand that candidates invest a good amount of their time into the written exercise, and we do the same on our end. The Hiring Team reviews and discusses each... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at HotelTonight (New York, NY) in April 2018.

Interview

Initial phone screen went as expected, I introduced myself along with providing a full spectrum of my accomplishments, skills, KPIs to date. I then highlighted my relevant work history to demonstrate an appropriate alignment within HotelTonight's business model. I felt extremely confident going into the call and got a good sense that I positioned myself as specialist in sales and business development (i.e. proven track record, someone who knows what they're doing)

My interviewer, Sam, then asked me a handful of situational questions, "what if" scenarios, and other hypothetical queries that I felt were completely unproductive as it didn't add any value to our discussion. I offered to have a more strategic conversation covering performance metrics and quota. I'd like to point out was that Sam kept yawning while she was speaking. Suggesting that "something was in the air" making her tired. It was not a one-off occurrence - she abruptly yawned mid-conversation about 5 or 6 times. I almost suggested that she'd take a nap and continue our discussion another time - out of courtesy I bit my tongue and didn't mention it.

I was then pressured to end our call 15 mins early because of a general angst and disrespectful phone demeanor. Sam cut me off with an entirely condescending tone "Any more questions?"

A few days later I received a canned email response from Sam indicating that their team decided not to move forward. I politely acknowledged the note and followed up with requesting some feedback and at least some sort of indication of their thought process behind the decision Having since been ignored and wasn't made aware of any updates since, I chose to write this Glassdoor review. While I believe HotelTonight has a defined structure for candidates that span across both CA and NY locations, neither party benefitted from connecting on the phone that day. In fact, I truly felt it was a waste of our time. I also felt this was a reflection of Sam' individual behavior and performance. I could sense that she wasn't engaged professionally and had her mind on other matters.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HotelTonight (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

First round was a Phone interview with HR coordinator. Within 24 hours I was contacted for another phone Interview with a Team Manager. Final round is an in person interview with the team.

Interview Questions

HotelTonight Response

Apr 6, 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for the review! I love hearing that our recruiting team was able to reach out to you so quickly after you applied! It's our goal to make the experience for candidates a really positive one... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HotelTonight (New York, NY) in February 2018.

Interview

The first interview was an over the phone screening with a third party hiring firm. Had an overall good experience with this part of the interview but would say it was harder than a typical phone screen call. The woman was very friendly and asked me situational questions to quiz me as if I were in this position. Questions were all within reason and allowed me to progress onto the next round of interviews.

The next interview is where everything fell apart and I lost respect for HT. The person I interviewed with called me over ten minutes late with no regard for the fact that I had been waiting for the call. She did not ask me about my background or relevant experience and simply jumped into situation questions about the position. One of the first questions she asked me was to give a sales pitch, which I was very caught off guard by considering neither the title of the position or the description mentioned anything about sales. After fumbling through a sales pitch the interviewer continued to rudely emphasize how sales skills were the most important thing (again, confusing because sales was not mentioned ).

While I would normally just move on to say that I was clearly not what they were looking for in this position, the thing that really turned me off during this interview was that the interviewer practically hung up on me. At the end of the interview where I was given time to ask questions, I was cut off mid question by the interviewer to say she has to go and was hung up on. No goodbye, no apology for the inconvenience or the sudden exit from the interview (the interview had been under 30 minutes). This really rubbed me the wrong way and definitely did not leave me with a good view of HT.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at HotelTonight (San Francisco, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

3 page research exercise to understand your thought process for the role. 15 minute phone interview, followed by an in-person interview in their hip San Francisco offices. 3 hour interview with 4 individuals from the partner strategy/management team.

Unfortunately, the hiring manager was out sick and the COO was in a meeting during my interview time. Everybody was very accommodating and helpful, though.

Interview Questions

• How would you approach a busy weekend where the hotels in your market have mostly booked rooms?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at HotelTonight (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

First stage was the brief 15 minute phone screen with the recruiter where he laid out the details and expectations for the position. Did not really ask me any questions, it was more of him explaining about the job.

The next step was the written assignment. Gave me 3-4 days to prepare.

Then, a 1-on-1 phone interview with a general manager, which lasted about 20 mins. Asked about my background, previous experiences, and why I applied for HT.

After about a week, I was invited into their office in SF for a 3 hour interview where I got to meet 5 different people (team members, COO).

Even though I didn't get the position, everyone was friendly and they made me feel welcomed with snacks and a tour of the office. It felt like a great place to work for.

One thing I didn't really appreciate was that they didn't really give feedback as to why I didn't get the position. I got notified by a one sentence email basically saying "Sorry, you didn't get the position".

But besides that, the whole process was efficient and the hiring manager was quick to respond to my questions throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• Why HT, your previous experience working in a team, strengths and weaknesses, etc   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

Interview

Interview process was very seamless. I had a call with the recruiter, then a call with a regional manager. After that, I came onsite to meet with 5 managers, including the one from the call. After a follow-up call with the recruiter, I was extended an offer.

Interview Questions

• How would you work within your market/region to ensure you don't run out of inventory?   Answer Question

Jul 25, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

I love hearing that you had a positive experience with us during the Recruiting process! We put a lot of effort into making the process as fun, informative, and thoughtful as possible, so I'm really... More