Hotjar Full Stack Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Hotjar Full Stack Developer Interview Questions

Interviews at Hotjar

3.6

Full Stack Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hotjar.

Interview

5 steps process:
> fill a form with personal/technical questions
> prepare a video of yourself answering some questions
> attend a remote interview
> execute a paid multi-day task
> get an offer
Process is quite intense but I feel it's a fair one for a remote team. They alse have been good at keeping me updated through the process - though just made it to step 2.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Hotjar

Full Stack Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cape Town (South Africa)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Hotjar (Cape Town (South Africa)) in June 2017.

Interview

The interview process consisted of 5 steps. It started with a simple form and CV submission followed by a video submission, a phone interview, a task to complete and then a follow up debrief call. All steps were dependent on successfully passing the previous step.

The process, albeit long, was extremely thorough yet also fair which I feel necessary for a company hiring entirely remotely. Overall it was a really enjoyable experience.

Interview Questions

• What do you do in a situation of conflict and can you describe a recent such situation that you experienced?   Answer Question

Oct 24, 2017 – VP of Operations

Thanks for the feedback and comments. We've still got some work to do to speed up our pipeline. Your comments are a good reminder. Thanks again and welcome to the team!

Full Stack Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hotjar in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process consisted of 5 stages; online application, recorded video Q&A, phone interview, practical task and finally, offer.

At first, it seemed incredibly daunting, but once I got to the phone interview stage and spoke to the interviewers I was a lot more relaxed. The team members interviewing were incredibly friendly and immediately put me at ease.

The task stage of the process was the most difficult part of the whole process, trying to keep the implementation succinct enough while also trying to demonstrate knowledge and ability were no easy tasks, especially when trying to stick to a tight deadline! But much like the phone interview, the team members I was in contact with were extremely helpful and more than willing to answer my (numerous) questions. This helped a lot when deciding how in-depth to go into certain features and to get everything done in the time period provided.

Finally presenting the solution to the task to a large group of people, including the company leadership, was again made easier by just how friendly everyone was. The CEO welcomed any and all questions about the company and everyone spoke freely and openly. It was a very welcoming and comfortable environment and it really took the edge off the whole process.

All in all, it was a highly positive experience interviewing for Hotjar, all the team members were incredibly friendly and it's not often you get to meet company leadership during an interview process and ask them questions about the business!

Interview Questions

• If you're successful in this process, what would be the best case scenario for you in 6 months time, and conversely what would be the worst case scenario?   Answer Question

Full Stack Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hotjar in July 2017.

Interview

A few steps that take their time, filling a form with the CV, video answers and then conference interview. I got declined after the video answers and I knew that would be the outcome. I spent a lot of time to get the recording, and it was just not my thing - I was unhappy with my explanations, I had really hard time to talk to the camera by myself, I looked really bad, inadequate. So I just spend almost a day for a 7 min video, then just sent what I have without trying to make it better. Maybe it's better that we've parted ways at this stage.

Interview Questions

• If you could choose to do anything on any given Monday morning what would that be?   Answer Question

Full Stack Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hotjar (London, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

I submitted an application on their website where I was asked a couple of questions - both technical and personal. Two to three days later, someone from the company emailed me more questions asking me to make a video of myself answering those and send it to them. I did and then I was asked to attend an online interview with them where the job was discussed and asked a few more questions. In the online interview, they asked me a couple of personal questions first and later, they showed me a two code samples, one in AngularJS and the other in python and asked me to analyse the code line by line and explain it to them what it does and how it works. There was another stage after this where I would have been given to do a paid task for the company but unfortunately, I didn't make it to this step.

Full Stack Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Ġiljan (Malta)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hotjar (San Ġiljan (Malta)) in October 2016.

Interview

My interview experience with Hotjar was a very positive one.

Key takeaways -
    Hotjar is a company which operates 100% remotely. Therefore they're very good at communicating. The interview process was rather challenging in the sense that it takes a lot of determination to reach the end. I respect the company for the effort they put into recruitment, because it reflects the talent of the Hotjar team. This is a company which values the time of their applicants, so much so, that they actually pay you for the task phase.

Here's a little more detail on the interview process. There were a total of 4 stages involved.
    The first was a survey with a number of questions found online, which must be filled in when uploading your CV. Following that, you're asked to record videos of yourself answering a couple of questions they send you. If they like your answers, they proceed by arranging up an interview via Hangouts. To me, this call felt like a good conversation with people who are truly passionate in our field. I was given the opportunity to ask questions, challenge some of the things they asked. During the call, you should expect to be presented with some technical questions. If you're a good candidate you're reached out to again and given a task. The task was a well prepared User Story sent via Google Docs, and mine specifically, was estimated to take approximately 3 days (please note that they pay you for the task). They invite you into their hipchat and create a dedicated channel for you to discuss the task with all those who were present in your Hangouts interview. They encourage discussions and conversations and are very available. After completing the task, I shared my repository with them and set up another call for the task demo, where I presented my design and solution.

Feb 16, 2017 – Recruitment Co-ordinator

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your recruitment experience! As you mention, our recruitment process can take a lot of determination to reach the... More

Full Stack Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hotjar in March 2016.

Interview

Hotjar has a really interesting hiring process, beginning with an in-depth application form (I wrote nearly 3000 words on mine!), continuing through to an unusual self-video-interview stage and then leading on to a more traditional panel interview. Being a remote company these things all happen remotely, including the interviews, which are conducted over Google Hangouts.

The best part of the process was the chance to demonstrate my skills in a real-life-ish way at the Task stage, where I built something full-stack from scratch according to a given spec and then presented it and answered questions about it. This was a much better test than the typical sort of whiteboard coding that you might have done for other companies. The task was challenging but interesting and really fun, and I was encouraged to ask any questions I needed of anyone in the company. It was great to field their questions on the project as well, as they asked things that really made me think. It's a fantastic sign of a good team!

Throughout the process Hotjar proved themselves to be a lovely group of very smart but also very friendly people. At no point did I feel like anyone was anything less than super nice and respectful and it made the challenging questions and such much more manageable.

The one thing I would say is to be patient - they get a lot of applications and so sometimes there can be a few weeks between stages. You always find out pretty quickly if you made it, though, which takes the edge off!

Interview Questions

• How do you like Python and JavaScript and what do you feel are some important similarities and differences between them?   Answer Question

Full Stack Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birkirkara (Malta)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hotjar (Birkirkara (Malta)) in April 2018.

Interview

Interesting and enjoyable interview process, which includes a few days' long task (for which you get remuneration). The interviewers make you feel comfortable both during the details interview and during the tech one. It felt like a discussion between friends.

Interview Questions

Hotjar Response

Jul 3, 2018 – VP of Operations

Thanks for taking the time to update us on how we are doing. It's always great to hear candidates enjoy our process. Cheers!

Full Stack Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Hotjar (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)) in August 2017.

Interview

A multi-stage process that I feel really evaluates you as a person and your ability to fit in with the team, as well as your technical skills. Hotjar do a great job of keeping you up-to-date with your progress and work really hard on ensuring they're as fair as possible.

Interview Questions

• I was given a coding task in-line with what I would be working on with Hotjar and given a period of time to complete it and demo the result.   Answer Question

Feb 20, 2018 – VP of Operations

Super glad to hear that you always felt in the know. Thanks for the feedback and congrats!