Hulu Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.2

1. Featured Interview

Senior Manager, Operations Center Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hulu (Santa Monica, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Small things make a huge impression. Having my name on the board welcoming me to the interview was one of those small things. Having multiple waters and snacks on the table also was helpful in easing in to the interview process. I felt wanted as opposed to just another candidate.

The interview process gave great insight in to some of the challenges the team was facing and I was more than prepared for the interview simply from previous experience. The questions were about creating and following processes from a management standpoint but also as an individual contributor and for someone who hadn't done both the questions would have revealed shortcomings rather quickly.

I had 3 phone screenings and then a panel interview onsite. The interview process was scheduled for an entire day and required a day off from my previous job. The interviews took all of that time.

Interview Questions

• How would you establish a process for Incident Management where the existing process is loosely followed?   1 Answer

MBAContent Azcuisition Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hulu (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

After filling out the online application, I got a call from HR to set up a phone call. The interviewer was friendly and had very tailored questions to my experience. It seemed like it went well-- lasting 30 minutes instead of the scheduled 15. But I didn't move past the first round.

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Hulu.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me for an initial phone screening.

I was then sent a case study that was relevant to the job. It was somewhat extensive with under an hour to finish and send back.

I thought I did very subpar on it but I guess i did better than I thought since the hiring manager reached out to me for another phone interview.

I was then invited on-site for a 4-hour long interview with a variety of senior analysts, managers and director-level individuals. I personally felt it was overkill since every person seemed to ask the same exact questions so I was essentially repeating myself over and over again. Half the individuals interviewing the candidate aren't even directly associated with the position. A lot of candidates were expressing how welcoming the hiring team was but I got the exact opposite feeling with some of the individuals. Half of them seemed in a rush or was disinterested from the get-go (kept looking at their phones, etc)

I was initially very excited to be in the more advanced stages of the hiring process for such a company renowned for their work culture but after my personal experience, I had second thoughts.

The recruiter never followed up with me after the interview, even after an email I sent out. The only way I found out I was out of consideration was that the positon was removed from the open positions page from their website.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example on how you would construct this spreadsheet and the content within it   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hulu (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Got an online coding challenge that had a time limit of 6 hours to be done. It was quite difficult i could not finish my code and did not move to next round with the company.

Interview Questions

• They asked me a very difficult and rather ridiculous question. The question was create a bot that can best solve hangman in three guesses. They gave you nothing besides a personal link from which one could send and receive json requests with more information on the game. Aside from that that there was not much context and not much starter code so the programmer had to import the json results independently, download a dictionary independently etc.   1 Answer

Software Developer In Test Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hulu in November 2016.

Interview

First call with HR for about 20 minutes discussing background. After that a 30 minute technical call was set up with the hiring manager. The hiring manager asked questions related to the framework they are currently building. I answered pretty well, but there were vague questions with no right or wrong answer. It sounded pretty good, but 2 days later got rejected.

Engineering Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hulu (Santa Monica, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Hopefully you fit into a specific demographic and you have a bigger ego than those interviewing you. Otherwise, you'll be wasting your time.

Typical L.A. culture. Young, Fake, and think they know everything. Luckily, they aren't smart enough to hire the visionaries that they need to actually make them successful in the coming years. Others in the space will, and Hulu will be the Betamax of the next generation.

Be careful, they will tell you that the culture is very friendly and team spirited, but that is not really what is happening. Lots of egos, and back stabbing. I saw this in day long interviews where one employee was bashing the next. Employees don't respect the leadership, the leadership is disconnected from what is happening in the trenches, and senior engineers back stab each other

Thanks for not selecting me. Thanks for being age biased and not smart enough to hire the talent you need.

Interview Questions

• I know you're not a developer or have had time to prep for this, but what is a hash lookup?   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hulu (San Diego, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Talked to one recruiter on campus career fair - received a 6-hour coding challenge in 3-4 days.
    After two weeks of finishing the coding challenge, got a technical phone screen.
    Got rejected 1 day after the phone interview.

Interview Questions

• 6-hour coding challenge is to write a program from scratch to solve a problem they give.   Answer Question
    • technical phone screen - they asked me a question related to 2d array processing
      The question is not very difficult but the interviewer kept silent for the whole time - even though I never stopped "thinking loud". Therefore it is really difficult to know what he was thinking.
      Answer Question

Senior Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hulu (Santa Monica, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

I had three phases of interviews. The recruiter call. The hiring manager call. Then the on-site where I spent half the day rotating between four interview panelists. The recruiter was very quick to reply with feedback on all occasions. Everyone was very nice and welcoming, and the interview felt relaxing.

Interview Questions

• Situational questions. Process questions. What I liked about the company. Where I wanted to be in 5 years. Typical behavioral questions. They are very big on making sure you are a good fit.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Hulu (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online, a week later a recruiter sent an email to schedule a phone interview. Two days later, the recruiter scheduled a phone interview with the hiring manager. A week after the call with the hiring manager, was invited for a 3 hour in person interview. Met with 5 different individuals who basically asked the same questions mostly about work experience and behavioral questions. Definitely looking to see if you fit into their culture. After the interview, the recruiter said he would reach out in a week. It's been more than a week and I still haven't heard back. Sent a follow up interview but no response. The job is still listed as open and the portal still listing my candidacy as "in process" so I'm not really sure what the hold up is. The vetting process especially after the final interview is painfully long especially when the recruiter had mentioned earlier on that they were looking to fill the position quickly. And during the in person team interview, the team members had also said they hoping to hire someone quickly so as to spread out the heavy workload. So honestly, not sure what the hold up is. I think a simple "hey we are still evaluating candidates" would suffice.

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hulu.

Interview

Hulu HR reached out to me via LinkedIn for a generic interview for a Product Manager role, hoping to determine which specific product would make the most sense. Talked to him for an hour over the phone, everything went well, and we figured out which roles made the most sense to move forward with and talk to the managers for.

He said the process takes up to two weeks and to expect a call from a certain Sr. Product Manager in that time. The interview went very well and so I was surprised to not hear anything within a week, so I reached out to him via email. No response. Waited another week and reached out via LinkedIn again. No response, but I got a notification that he had looked at my LinkedIn profile that day.

Basically everything went fine in conversation, but communication was non-existent otherwise. If you're passing on me, that's fine, but let me know. Don't ignore my correspondence. Lovely to talk to, but very rude and unprofessional behavior.

Interview Questions

• How do you get your products onto the roadmap?   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Hulu (Santa Monica, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online and a recruiter reached out. Had one phone screen and an on-site interview with 4 rounds.

Initially the response was fast until I finished my phone screen. The phone screen interview had a very simple question - even though we had 45 min, I was able to analyze and solve the problem in less than 20 minutes, which gave me more than enough time to talk to the engineer and ask questions regarding the position. The engineer himself was quite excited to describe the position.

From here on, the process was slow, and response times were very very long. It took them a week to get back with a response to tell me that they would like to bring me on-site. In a fast moving industry, 1 week to get response on a phone screen is extremely slow (I was interviewing with multiple companies and Hulu was the slowest in responding).

I scheduled the on-site interview a few weeks after - scheduling the on-site was also slow. They set me up at a nice hotel in Santa Monica - they fly candidates in the day before the interview to ensure that they get enough rest. They also offer discounted rates at the hotel if you choose to stay longer in LA.

Their workplace is decorated in a fancy way (different from many companies I have seen). The developers I met are all very ecstatic - they walked in to the room with a very positive vibe. The interviewers had reviewed my resume and knew what I had worked on before, which is a positive sign for me as a candidate. Almost all the interviewers had another engineer shadowing them. Had lunch with one of the interviewers (and the shadow...). I expected a good discussion regarding work culture at Hulu over lunch, but it felt more like an interview. I did not enjoy this experience, since I had food in front of me, but was bombarded with questions throughout lunch time. Although I don't pay too much attention to lunch when I'm interviewing on-site but this was impolite - I wouldn't mind doing an extra round for behavioral questions. Apparently lunch is not free, but they pay for it since you are interviewing.

I had high expectations when I started interviewing with Hulu. Interviewing on-site was a good experience, but overall it was a negative experience - considering the fact that they did not value my time. Even though it was mentioned that they'll have my result by a specific day, I did not hear back from HR that day. A bunch of no-response e-mails later, got a response saying that they wanted additional time to gather feedback. Based on the overall interview experience, I had already decided not to join Hulu by then. I had other offers to choose from.

Interview Questions

• The on-site interview has 4 rounds (including one system design). I did not face any difficult technical questions as such. Their questions are more around data structures and algorithms. Nothing difficult - I've seen all the questions or a variation of it before - can be found online. They had follow up questions to add more functionality or dig deeper into implementing something related. They look into the approach you take to solve the problem, and it looked like that they were very satisfied that I could weigh the pros and cons of different approaches in solving the problem.   Answer Question