IGN Entertainment Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IGN Entertainment Interview Questions

Interviews at IGN Entertainment

2.7

Anonymous Employee in Brisbane, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IGN Entertainment (Brisbane, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

Applied Online through their career site. Got selected for a phone screen. Phone screen was based on Resume skillset and experience. Then got scheduled for onSite. It was a four hour interview. Tested on basic data structure and language based questions. I met with almost all the members in the group that I was interviewed for. They were amicable and discussed all the questions I had for them including their work culture and other activities they do. The final round was with the recruiter. He said he would hire as contract to hire so the candidate to be hired would be accounted for credibility in the probation period before they might be hired full time.

Interview Questions

• Questions on multi threaded programming with respect to servlets and database access   Answer Question
    • Many questions were scenario based. One questions involved asking me to design a datastructure for an application and asked me why I would go for that particular data structure?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I am in the process of discussing o=my salary.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IGN Entertainment (San Francisco, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

I have applied online for an internship position in a new program IGN started called Code Foo. The application process included the programming puzzle, couple of brainteasers and a proof that I am passionate about the company. It was an awesome experience where me and 28 other interns learned new skills and worked on real projects. After 4 weeks of the internship I was interviewed for a full-time position. The process consisted of seven one on one interviews with engineers and one non-engineer whose goal was to see if my personality fits the culture of IGN. Of course, at the beginning I was nervous, but everyone was friendly and nice, in addition, you can tell that people at IGN are passionate about what they do - just watch the video tour of the office and you will understand. On the day before last of my internship I received the offer!

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IGN Entertainment (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

There was a ~45 min first phone interview with a shared coding window and an emphasis on object oriented practices in javascript. A second interview was a google hangout with mostly culture fit questions. The on-site was 3 hours with 7 people; there were 3 white boarding exercises but they weren't super in depth to accommodate speaking to a number of management and software engineers.

Interview Questions

• Write a data structure and method for deleting and splicing a linked list in javascript.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at IGN Entertainment (San Francisco, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

It was a great process. I enjoyed the interview process but I ended up with a separate yet similar company. There were 3 separate parts to the interview process. It began with a friendly encounter and two separate interviews that were a little more difficult with respect to explaining my skills for employment.

Interview Questions

• What can you provide to the team besides engineering skills?   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brisbane, CA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IGN Entertainment (Brisbane, CA) in August 2009.

Interview

During the hiring process I worked with a recruiter who arranged for 1-1 interviews. I had 2 rounds with Sr. Marketing Managers & Directors. Everybody was very nice and personable.

Associate Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IGN Entertainment (San Francisco, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Interviews for editorial roles are crazy. Expect to spend four hours (or more) at the IGN office, getting interviewed by several different teams within the company - from associate editors all the way to the top directors, as well as guys in other departments such as community management, product management, etc. These interviews seem to be much more concerned with interviewee personality and culture fit than with experience or qualifications - very little was asked about my writing experience.

They were very slow to get back to me with results of the interview - from the time I sent in my resume to the time they hired somebody it was over three months. They only got back to me after I sent numerous follow-up emails. Other applicants I'd spoken to said they never heard anything back until the new hire was announced.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were more about "culture fit." One of the more conventional questions I got was "Can you tell us about a time you faced conflict in a team and how you solved it?"   Answer Question

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at IGN Entertainment (San Francisco, CA) in June 2009.

Interview

The recruiter made the introductions to the GM. There were interviews with the GM, VP of Sales primarily. Communication was pretty clear and so were the expectations.

Negotiation

Discuss your motivation to reach above and beyond your quantified objectives, so u have a larger variable compensation component. Negotiate to increase the range next year once you prove yourself.

Lead Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at IGN Entertainment (San Francisco, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Initial communication was from a recruiter. Usual recruiter fluff, quickly passed on the CTO. No difficult or tech depth questions were asked. This lead to an on site.

On site involved meeting two relatively jr engineers for more of a architectural decision process. No white boarding was required. The interviewers were polite and didn't try to up the stress level in the interview just to make me sweat.

The second was with the new Director or some such of engineering. It because quickly obvious that the positon he was trying to fill was not the one I thought I was applying for. The were looking for a more "corporate" Lead, one thats responsible for suggestions of software to buy. I'm an OpenSource guy and this was the end of the interview process.

Shown the door. My feelings are no foul no harm. Wrong person for the job the wanted which is a Tech Lead a la say Wells Fargo would have.

Interview Questions

• Whats the best way to securely store a password entered in a web form.   1 Answer

Sales Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IGN Entertainment.

Interview

3 rounds of interviews on the phone, two in person. Overall the interview process went well. The first call is general, usually HR or Recruiter, followed by an actually employee. After that they will bring you in for the first round of interviews which could consist of talking to one or multiple employees at one time. A second interview could be in person or over the phone, followed by a screener who does not work in the department you applied to. Process could take 2 weeks or more.

Software Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IGN Entertainment (San Francisco, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

Contacted directly, after a phone screen was called in to interview with 7 people in 1/2 hour stretches.
    Was told before hand that:

- "everyone is excited to be meeting me"
    - "we don't usually call someone in just after a phone screen, but..."

and other psyche boosters.

First three interviewers had never seen my resume.

the 3rd interviewer was interrupted at the end of their interview time by internal HR recruiter, who said:

"there's been an emergency all hands meeting by engineering and we need to stop the interview at this point. I'm sorry."

and the interview ended...

#

Blatant lies and misrepresentations which I have found out post facto.
    - not one of the three read my resume to be even close to excited, less to say "everyone" was excited.
    - the single screen call + 7 people interview is a common approach by IGN and not all that special.
    - there was never any emergency and I knew this right away. This was confirmed when I called the internal recruiter the next day and called him on it. It was his way of getting someone out the door.

Beware of the lies and misrepresentation if you do decide to interview here. I knew right away with the first person I met with that I didn't want to work for this organization (culture and the management are just wrong). However, lying to a candidate is hurtful and disrespectful - not only to the candidate that has traveled a long way, prepped, and given up significant time; but also for the organization and the recruiter who's professional reputation is tarnished by the impropriety.

You might hate me. But just don't lie. Find another creative way to tell the truth that you don't think we'd work out. We can take it and will respect you more.

BTW: good luck trying to call anyone in the organization via the main number. The name lookup doesn't seem to work ad there is no reception to pick up your call. That should tell you something,

Interview Questions

• in one minute or less, can you give me an 'elevator pitch' and sell me on your career to date?   1 Answer