IGN Entertainment Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IGN Entertainment Interview Questions

2.6

Video Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IGN Entertainment (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online, process took a few weeks, when I was finally interviewed, a few rounds of interviews later i heard nothing, when I called to follow up they kept transferring me to a number that would keep ringing,

Interview Questions

• What is your stance on Final Cut X?   1 Answer

Sales Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IGN Entertainment.

Interview

3 rounds of interviews on the phone, two in person. Overall the interview process went well. The first call is general, usually HR or Recruiter, followed by an actually employee. After that they will bring you in for the first round of interviews which could consist of talking to one or multiple employees at one time. A second interview could be in person or over the phone, followed by a screener who does not work in the department you applied to. Process could take 2 weeks or more.

Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IGN Entertainment (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

met with several people on the team, fairly laid back, not many detailed or thorough questions. didn't seem like there was much space in the office, seemed cramped. no feedback from HR or manager regarding updates on the position - frustrating !

Associate Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IGN Entertainment (San Francisco, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Interviews for editorial roles are crazy. Expect to spend four hours (or more) at the IGN office, getting interviewed by several different teams within the company - from associate editors all the way to the top directors, as well as guys in other departments such as community management, product management, etc. These interviews seem to be much more concerned with interviewee personality and culture fit than with experience or qualifications - very little was asked about my writing experience.

They were very slow to get back to me with results of the interview - from the time I sent in my resume to the time they hired somebody it was over three months. They only got back to me after I sent numerous follow-up emails. Other applicants I'd spoken to said they never heard anything back until the new hire was announced.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were more about "culture fit." One of the more conventional questions I got was "Can you tell us about a time you faced conflict in a team and how you solved it?"   Answer Question

Code Foo Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IGN Entertainment (San Francisco, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

Just an informal interview asking about me and my interest in the program. I live nearby the headquarters so I spoke about my love for the area and my love for the program.

Lead Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at IGN Entertainment (San Francisco, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Initial communication was from a recruiter. Usual recruiter fluff, quickly passed on the CTO. No difficult or tech depth questions were asked. This lead to an on site.

On site involved meeting two relatively jr engineers for more of a architectural decision process. No white boarding was required. The interviewers were polite and didn't try to up the stress level in the interview just to make me sweat.

The second was with the new Director or some such of engineering. It because quickly obvious that the positon he was trying to fill was not the one I thought I was applying for. The were looking for a more "corporate" Lead, one thats responsible for suggestions of software to buy. I'm an OpenSource guy and this was the end of the interview process.

Shown the door. My feelings are no foul no harm. Wrong person for the job the wanted which is a Tech Lead a la say Wells Fargo would have.

Interview Questions

• Whats the best way to securely store a password entered in a web form.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at IGN Entertainment (San Francisco, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

It was a great process. I enjoyed the interview process but I ended up with a separate yet similar company. There were 3 separate parts to the interview process. It began with a friendly encounter and two separate interviews that were a little more difficult with respect to explaining my skills for employment.

Interview Questions

• What can you provide to the team besides engineering skills?   Answer Question

Product Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IGN Entertainment (San Francisco, CA) in November 2011.

Interview

1st interview: Good non HR type interview with the recruiting team who knew the team goals and asked more strategic questions that I expected. They asked questions like "describe a consumer product you like and why it's a leader in the market" which were surprising but a good sign.

2nd interview: I was asked to come in for in person interviews and the follow through from the recruiting team was good in terms of schedules, who I was meeting, etc. I met with engineering, product and the founder who runs several groups. Most of the questions were straightforward but really repetitive. One of the interviewers was clearly sharp but not sure I got along that well with him because my product vision is different than his. I did some homework on IGN and shared with the group that I was pretty excited about some of the changes IGN has made on the site However, from a UE standpoint it's still too cluttered.

2 days later, got a call from the recruiting team telling me that I wasn't a strong match. As bummed as I was, it's good they called to share and they were up front on why. Can't say that I felt the Product team had solid leadership although everyone was smart.

Work culture and office vibe seemed very casual and cool, parts of the office were really really quiet, didn't seem to be too many shared big spaces.

Creative Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at IGN Entertainment (San Francisco, CA) in November 2011.

Interview

It was a little long since I had a different types of interview (phone, one on one, group and I had to work on a project to prove my skills).

Interview Questions

• Why I left the previous job?   1 Answer

Software Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IGN Entertainment (San Francisco, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

Contacted directly, after a phone screen was called in to interview with 7 people in 1/2 hour stretches.
    Was told before hand that:

- "everyone is excited to be meeting me"
    - "we don't usually call someone in just after a phone screen, but..."

and other psyche boosters.

First three interviewers had never seen my resume.

the 3rd interviewer was interrupted at the end of their interview time by internal HR recruiter, who said:

"there's been an emergency all hands meeting by engineering and we need to stop the interview at this point. I'm sorry."

and the interview ended...

#

Blatant lies and misrepresentations which I have found out post facto.
    - not one of the three read my resume to be even close to excited, less to say "everyone" was excited.
    - the single screen call + 7 people interview is a common approach by IGN and not all that special.
    - there was never any emergency and I knew this right away. This was confirmed when I called the internal recruiter the next day and called him on it. It was his way of getting someone out the door.

Beware of the lies and misrepresentation if you do decide to interview here. I knew right away with the first person I met with that I didn't want to work for this organization (culture and the management are just wrong). However, lying to a candidate is hurtful and disrespectful - not only to the candidate that has traveled a long way, prepped, and given up significant time; but also for the organization and the recruiter who's professional reputation is tarnished by the impropriety.

You might hate me. But just don't lie. Find another creative way to tell the truth that you don't think we'd work out. We can take it and will respect you more.

BTW: good luck trying to call anyone in the organization via the main number. The name lookup doesn't seem to work ad there is no reception to pick up your call. That should tell you something,

Interview Questions

• in one minute or less, can you give me an 'elevator pitch' and sell me on your career to date?   1 Answer