IGN Entertainment Reviews | Glassdoor

IGN Entertainment Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2019

Found 92 reviews

3.3
IGN Entertainment CEO Mitch Galbraith (no image)
Mitch Galbraith
Pros
  • "If you love video games, you are given opportunities to play them before they are released to the public as well as free codes for games(in 14 reviews)

• "Great place to work, and great people(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "No room for growth unless you can fit into the "in" group(in 4 reviews)

• "No attempt at work/life balance(in 4 reviews)

1. "Runner"

I worked at IGN Entertainment

Pros

I was only apart of their crew for the E3 event. I was treated well and learned a lot.

Cons

It was very busy work.

IGN Entertainment2014-07-14

"Great place for people who aren't career driven."

Former Employee - Video Editor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at IGN Entertainment full-time

Pros

A lot of the employees are wonderful people. If you love video games, you are given opportunities to play them before they are released to the public as well as free codes for games.

Cons

Very high school like atmosphere. No room for growth unless you can fit into the "in" group. -Not so much politics as you would find at a typical company, but judgement is given on how much you know about video games and the geek culture in general. If you don't know a ton about those things, you are pretty much looked at as a non-contributor and pretty much not given any chances at opportunities outside of what you... are hired for. If you are a hard worker, there is no reward. If you go beyond the job title, there is no reward. Some of the people there talk and play games instead of work. These are the people that are given opportunities the most because they are socializing and talking about the geek culture which the "in" group loves. If you are the hard worker, you won't have time to socialize which means you have no opportunities. If you work overtime, some of the managers will see you pretty much alone in the office and walk right by you. No "thank you for staying late", no "I appreciate you working late" - nothing. This happened to me on several occasions. If they paid overtime, I would understand this, but they don't. It's salaried when you work full time there. They won't even comp you if you do work a lot of long days. There is so much turn over at this company, it will make your head spin. 20 people had left in the year I was there. It's VERY depressing to the employees that are there and IGN is not doing anything to try to fix their issues. They don't want to listen to the current employees so everyone talks about how awful it is there and it's just a poisonous environment to work in. I get so many texts asking if I know of any full time jobs so people can leave that place.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Have meetings with them beyond the one time a year you have to and ask if there is anything that YOU could do better. Or do a private survey so people can really voice their opinions. Reward those who work hard. Notice these people and try to help them get to where they want to go in the company, or they will leave.

IGN Entertainment2019-07-25

"Great Job, Poor Pay"

Current Employee - Editor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at IGN Entertainment full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work with great people and understanding bosses, also video games

Cons

Wages are poor for most considering its based in one of the most expensive cities in the US, and compared to all the other tech jobs in the city.

Advice to Management

Tell J2 to actually pay their employees what they are worth, and maybe they'll stop jumping ship the first chance the get to better paying jobs in the industry.

IGN Entertainment2019-03-01

"If you're thinking about working here, don't."

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at IGN Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Wear whatever you want to work. You get to work in the gaming industry.

Cons

Inferior products compared to market trends. Every support team is held together with spit & glue, significantly understaffed. No one is held accountable for any mistakes made and the company morale is depressingly awful across the board. No matter what your career goals are, there are so many better places to work. IGN is the kind of place where they stack 3 full-time jobs on your plate and still ask you to... do more.

Advice to Management

Fix the company culture. Find a better work/life balance for you employees. Stop draining your support staff in hopes of securing a bigger profit.

IGN Entertainment2019-02-14

"Pretty Good, except its in SF"

Current Employee - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at IGN Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great coworkers Awesome office Free food occasionally and cheap snacks Remote Work possible E3

Cons

San Francisco Limited upward mobility No bonuses, no incentives Employee stock purchasing program is insulting when you are living paycheck to paycheck. Awful raises.

Advice to Management

They fired all the management... New manager is as good as they get though.

IGN Entertainment2018-09-25

"Amazing."

Current Employee - Devops Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at IGN Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome Environment Amazing CoWorkers Great Benefits Consistent Challenging Work Video Games, Comics, Movies ALL DAY

Cons

Downtown SF, if you have to commute, major CON. Bart is a complete disaster, Caltrain not much better. Underpaid compared to local averages for similar positions. Pay not adequate for living in SF ( too expensive to live there)

Advice to Management

Its time to leave SF. Employees potential is being ruined by skyrocketing cost of living in the SF area.

IGN Entertainment2017-08-16

"Great (but temporary) place to work"

I worked at IGN Entertainment

Pros

Some of the greatest people on earth work here. You'll meet some of the best contacts in the industry to further your career.

Cons

Don't have high expectations of getting paid much.

IGN Entertainment2016-10-07

"Little room for advancement, abusive managers"

I worked at IGN Entertainment

Pros

Fun co-workers, IGN covers fun subjects like movies, TV, and video games.

Cons

Long hours, low compensation, public shaming by managers, bro culture, LA office wasn't as nice as the San Francisco office, yelled at on more than one occassion for things I had nothing to do with.

Advice to Management

I haven't been at IGN for over a year, but when I was there, the employees were unhappy and undercompensated for the hours put in. Value your staff more. People are fun, but that alone isn't going to keep good employees. Sales management needs better training.

IGN Entertainment2016-09-19
  9. "Web Dev Intern"

Web Developer Intern

I have been working at IGN Entertainment

Pros

Fun place nice people flexible work.

Cons

Many people stay in the office for long hours.

IGN Entertainment2016-08-11

"Great People, Learn Fast, Little Reward"

Product in San Francisco, CA

I worked at IGN Entertainment for more than a year

Pros

A short preamble: The founder, Peer Schneider, is the GM/CEO, not Damon Johnson. I gave Damon a thumbs down, but Peer gets a thumbs up. First, the office is great. Arcade games and fanboy art/toys everywhere. There's free booze, free coffee, often free snacks. NERF guns often go off routinely throughout the work day. The people are absolutely the best I've ever worked with in my life. IGN always has and... always will get this right. The entire staff is composed of some of the best in the advertising and digital content business. I've never met more intelligent and fast-learning people than I did at IGN, and everyone was an absolute blast to work with. Everyone has an opinion, but no one lets it affect their work relationships. There is some very high EQ and RQ at this company. The veterans whom are not execs really know their stuff, and they know how to convey it without coming off pompous. Data, data, data. Know and understand data. Data is used in all decision-making at IGN, and all your ideas for improving what's done, or creating new business models must be supported significantly by data. Execs really know their stuff as well, and are ridiculously friendly, but I'll get to the cons in a moment. IGN's core values are directly in-line with my own, so I really liked working within those boundaries. Additionally, IGN gives you every opportunity to be proactive, learn a lot, and seize new responsibilities. The encouragement to take on new things is endless, and if you have the time to manage it, definitely look for ways to improve things. I learned more in a couple years at IGN than the rest of my fairly long career in this industry.

Cons

But even with all the intelligence, a lot of people just are not motivated enough. Proactiveness is often lacking, and why shouldn't it? There's not much reward for doing great work (and great work is consistent). Some people do amazing work, and are never recognized for it, even over 5 years. Ziff Davis, the parent company, often touts IGN's high profit margins, but those profit margins come at the price of... paying IGN's staff poorly, and not pursuing advancement for employees. I often heard from execs that, "You sacrifice wages, because it's IGN," meaning that IGN is apparently so much fun and so chill that it's okay to pay people less than competitors. If that were true, your staff wouldn't be leaving for Twitter, Facebook, Google, Twitch, CBS Interactive, Pandora, and other equally fun places that pay very well. During my extensive tenure, I was routinely told I needed to prove myself before any advancement is offered. I did, in fact, prove it on multiple occasions, but it did not seem to be enough. Eventually, I left for somewhere much more fun that paid much better for half the hours. The location isn't the best for those commuting via BART or subway, but it's good for those using Caltrain. It's right next to AT&T Park, so expect long commutes via car during games.

Advice to Management

Pay your people a bit more to reduce such high turnover. Stop asking for more proof to advance people, when the evidence has been presented on more than one occasion.

IGN Entertainment2016-06-09