IGN Entertainment Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 26, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Mitch Galbraith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Video Games, Comics, Movies ALL DAY (in 12 reviews)

• Great place to work, and great people (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • people tend to be very rude to you (project mgr (in 3 reviews)

1. "Amazing."

Current Employee - Devops Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Devops Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at IGN Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome Environment
    Amazing CoWorkers
    Great Benefits
    Consistent Challenging Work
    Video Games, Comics, Movies ALL DAY

Cons

Downtown SF, if you have to commute, major CON. Bart is a complete disaster, Caltrain not much better.
    Underpaid compared to local averages for similar positions.
    Pay not adequate for living in SF ( too expensive to live there)

Advice to Management

Its time to leave SF. Employees potential is being ruined by skyrocketing cost of living in the SF area.

"Be smart and stay away"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at IGN Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good work environment with some really cool things
    - Work is challenging
    - Fun and casual

Cons

- Stay away from the project mgr if you can
    - If you work in anything but product, be expected to be blamed for everything
    - Some of the people here are real garbage
    - No upward mobility ;

Advice to Management

- Clean up your act
    - Don't sacrifice employees for your own gains

"Don't be fooled - not what you think"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at IGN Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work on some cool things as IGN runs on many devices, apps, platforms, etc...
    Some of the employees are really nice
    Cool office with many, many games

Cons

Buyer beware on working here:

- high turnover rate, new mgmt
    - no fun benefits - outings, etc....
    - no free anything (food, snacks, drinks)
    - $17 a day for parking here
    - people tend to be very rude to you (project mgr. , eng)

Advice to Management

- Mgmt should focus less on getting their bonuses and think about to how improve morale
    - They should also figure a way to reduce some of the egos ; They think it's a privelege to work here.
    - High employee turnover should set off a bunch of red alerts for them

"Great (but temporary) place to work"

Pros

Some of the greatest people on earth work here. You'll meet some of the best contacts in the industry to further your career.

Cons

Don't have high expectations of getting paid much.

"Little room for advancement, abusive managers"

Pros

Fun co-workers, IGN covers fun subjects like movies, TV, and video games.

Cons

Long hours, low compensation, public shaming by managers, bro culture, LA office wasn't as nice as the San Francisco office, yelled at on more than one occassion for things I had nothing to do with.

Advice to Management

I haven't been at IGN for over a year, but when I was there, the employees were unhappy and undercompensated for the hours put in. Value your staff more. People are fun, but that alone isn't going to keep good employees. Sales management needs better training.

6. "Web Dev Intern"

Current Employee - Web Developer Intern
    Current Employee - Web Developer Intern

Pros

Fun place nice people flexible work.

Cons

Many people stay in the office for long hours.

"Great People, Learn Fast, Little Reward"

Former Employee - Product in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Product in San Francisco, CA

I worked at IGN Entertainment (More than a year)

Pros

A short preamble: The founder, Peer Schneider, is the GM/CEO, not Damon Johnson. I gave Damon a thumbs down, but Peer gets a thumbs up.

First, the office is great. Arcade games and fanboy art/toys everywhere. There's free booze, free coffee, often free snacks. NERF guns often go off routinely throughout the work day.

The people are absolutely the best I've ever worked with in my life. IGN always has and always will get this right. The entire staff is composed of some of the best in the advertising and digital content business. I've never met more intelligent and fast-learning people than I did at IGN, and everyone was an absolute blast to work with. Everyone has an opinion, but no one lets it affect their work relationships. There is some very high EQ and RQ at this company. The veterans whom are not execs really know their stuff, and they know how to convey it without coming off pompous.

Data, data, data. Know and understand data. Data is used in all decision-making at IGN, and all your ideas for improving what's done, or creating new business models must be supported significantly by data.

Execs really know their stuff as well, and are ridiculously friendly, but I'll get to the cons in a moment.

IGN's core values are directly in-line with my own, so I really liked working within those boundaries. Additionally, IGN gives you every opportunity to be proactive, learn a lot, and seize new responsibilities. The encouragement to take on new things is endless, and if you have the time to manage it, definitely look for ways to improve things. I learned more in a couple years at IGN than the rest of my fairly long career in this industry.

Cons

But even with all the intelligence, a lot of people just are not motivated enough. Proactiveness is often lacking, and why shouldn't it? There's not much reward for doing great work (and great work is consistent). Some people do amazing work, and are never recognized for it, even over 5 years.

Ziff Davis, the parent company, often touts IGN's high profit margins, but those profit margins come at the price of paying IGN's staff poorly, and not pursuing advancement for employees. I often heard from execs that, "You sacrifice wages, because it's IGN," meaning that IGN is apparently so much fun and so chill that it's okay to pay people less than competitors.

If that were true, your staff wouldn't be leaving for Twitter, Facebook, Google, Twitch, CBS Interactive, Pandora, and other equally fun places that pay very well.

During my extensive tenure, I was routinely told I needed to prove myself before any advancement is offered. I did, in fact, prove it on multiple occasions, but it did not seem to be enough. Eventually, I left for somewhere much more fun that paid much better for half the hours.

The location isn't the best for those commuting via BART or subway, but it's good for those using Caltrain. It's right next to AT&T Park, so expect long commutes via car during games.

Advice to Management

Pay your people a bit more to reduce such high turnover. Stop asking for more proof to advance people, when the evidence has been presented on more than one occasion.

8. "Loved the people but not much growth in Chicago office"

I have been working at IGN Entertainment full-time

Pros

Cool company, interesting product, good people, cool client events and perks

Cons

Not much growth, low pay and unorganized structure. Office in Chicago is very small

"Great environment, inept leadership"

Former Employee - Editor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Editor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at IGN Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Positive/creative coworkers in a fun, warm and energizing work environment. Lots of room for personal expression, great projects, and original ideas.

Cons

Uncertain and unqualified managers shoulder responsibilities and issues to those beneath them, while never providing meaningful solutions, guidance or opportunities. No room for advancement or raises. Weak salaries.

Advice to Management

Reward employees for good work, paint a career path to avoid the terrible turnover, and stop asking how to fix problems - instead, claim ownership of solutions.

"Stagnant and uninspired"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at IGN Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some coworkers were amazing, incredibly smart and kind people. Problem is that this place was slowly sucking the life out of all of us. I figure a lot of these people are staying because of the brand name recognition, but considering the waning popularity of IGN and its redundant content, I can see that lure quickly fading. Other than that, very few pros. Salaries are laughable and perks are sparse if any.

Cons

The majority of the engineers and product team have been there for years (~5+) and are uninspired and completely stuck in a rut. No new products, everyone seems too busy trying to fix the existing problems. In my entire time at the company, there was one "new" product that they released which took forever and was about 6 months too late (their "live", streaming channel).

Upper management rules from afar in NY and have no idea what's going on in SF. They rarely check in unless there's a problem or the sales team complains They fly in a few times a year, usually to lay off a few people and then talk about the "latest new strategy". Everything seems to be run by the ad sales team, which is somewhat understandable since they seem to be the only team bringing in revenue. But let's face it, how hard is it to sell IGN to a video game client, who else are they gonna go to? Not much selling involved. Huge cultural divide between the content/entertainment team vs the rest of the company and there is little to no integration between the IGN and ZD teams, in fact, an unspoken hostility if anything.

After a while, I felt myself becoming an "Office Space" character and dreading every second of being in that office. Working with uninspired, mediocre people who also have attitude is not what I'm about. There was clearly no career path for me and many of my coworkers and management did nothing to address it. In face, in my entire time at IGN, I only came across one manager (who was new and from a different company culture) who seriously addressed career pathing with the team.

If they were paying a competitive salary, it might be one thing but between the unreasonable hours (and after hours demands) and the low salaries, I got out of there the first chance I got and it's been the best professional decision I've ever made.

Advice to Management

Clean house with the executives, there's a lot of dead weight literally phoning it in. Spend more time training managers regarding being actual managers and setting career paths for employees. It's non-existent at this time and you'll continue seeing more talented and valuable employees leaving and the dead-weight staying.