Illumina Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Illumina Interview Questions

Interviews at Illumina

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Illumina.

Interview

I had a video interview first where you answer a few pre-determined questions. Then I moved to phone call with the hiring manager. Then I was followed with an onsite interview where I did a presentation and had individual interviews with a bunch of people.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to join Illumina?   1 Answer

Software Engineer-I Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Illumina.

Interview

HireVue, HR Call, Staff Engineer Call, and another HR call before onsite. Illumina lowballs on salary offered, 75k initially. When I asked for at least 100k they stopped the onsite interview. I'd avoid working with them in the future. If you're fine with being undervalued sounds like a great place.

Interview Questions

• General Leetcode questions for hirevue. For the staff engineer call its more of a background match/architecture discussion.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Illumina in June 2020.

Interview

Hirevue video recording interview sent directly.Not even a pre HR call to know about you or to let you know about the process.Hirevue video recording questions was odd with no human interaction with some technical and general questions.6 weeks later now no feedback at all from this organization.I would not consider this organization in future.

Research Associate I Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Illumina.

Interview

Applied on the Illumina careers website (they use the myworkdays website, like Pfizer and other employers) , about two weeks later, was notified by email that I received a preliminary one-sided video interview through Hirevue. Position cancelled due to COVID.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to troubleshoot something on the bench.   Answer Question

Packaging Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Illumina (San Diego, CA) in April 2020.

Interview

Was sent an automated email to record video answers to predetermined questions. Had never done that before and considered not doing it as I consider it so impersonal. Did it anyway and was not selected. I've had much better personal interactions with much larger and faster growing companies. Company should make initial interactions much more personal. At least send an actual email (not an automated one from Workday) or make a phone call.

Deep Learning Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Illumina (Foster City, CA) in April 2020.

Interview

I applied online first and then had to speak on the phone with the hiring manager about 30 minutes. This was a non-technical interview in which he talked about their work and ask me some non-technical questions such as why I wanted to transition industry. The second round was a 30-min phone call with a senior member and he asked about my research and asked a simple algorithmic problem. Due to COVID-19 they conducted the final rounds online. First there was a 1 hour presentation about my research and then 5 1 on 1 coding challenges. I can't disclose the details of the questions but you'd need to be very comfortable with coding in Python and it's data science ecosystem.

Overall, I thought they had put a lot of thought into designing the questions but the interview was heavy on python libraries. Besides the 1 on 1 with the team leader, where he asked a very interesting question that we spent about 90 minutes solving, other interviews didn't really test my intelligence to be honest.

At the end, after 3 weeks I got a rejection letter saying that it was a hard decision because I did well in interviews but they picked someone else.

Interview Questions

• I can't share interview questions. Mostly Python coding.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Interview

After a series of 4 phone calls I was invited onsite. 12 hours before the onsite meeting they told me they were canceling the interview because the team would be working from home moving forward. I asked if it could be done virtually instead of rescheduling and they obliged, getting back to me at 10 pm the night before the 8:30 am interviews.

It was 4 hours of one on one interviews where each person asked the same questions. It should have been simplified to a panel. One of the Managers barely looked at the camera and was distracted the whole time while talking with me.

After that were 2 presentations: passion project and mock sales call

Everything went well until the mock sales call. I understood the prompt and did extensive research on the company and products beforehand. After 15 minutes or so they started asking questions that I'm not sure a candidate would know outside of taking their training program. It felt like they were trying to embarrass me. I self selected out and told them it wasn't a good fit.

My advice would be don't advertise for a sales rep if what you really want is a scientist.

Software Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Illumina (San Diego, CA) in March 2020.

Interview

Initially just a phone screening with the Recruiter, then a phone interview with the hiring manager. After that, there was a phone screening with the hiring manager. After this, there was a virtual "panel" of interviewers (4 hours of back to back interviewing). The communication in scheduling all of this could have been better but all in all a good (yet arduous) process.

Interview Questions

• Lots of situational scenarios, debugging strategies, some coding questions.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Illumina.

Interview

It felt relaxed. The team that interviewed my came in pairs. Some were QA specialists and others were QA Engineers. Asked questions about my knowledge of quality systems and future plans.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Illumina.

Interview

I applied online. I was interviewed virtually by hue. It is a virtual interview process, where you can record your answer. They asked mainly behavioral questions. however, I did not get selected.

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Illumina.

Interview

The first step was Online video interview where no technical questions were asked. Most of the questions were focused on interaction with others during group work. One question was also asked about company values.

Interview Questions

• Describe an instance where you worked in the group and what was your contribution?   Answer Question
    • How did you approach a problem and tackle it?   Answer Question