Imperial College London Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Imperial College London Interview Questions

Updated Apr 5, 2017

2.7

MSC Management Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Imperial College London.

Interview

Kira video interview. You can practice for an unlimited time and then the actual interview. Give you 30 seconds to prepare and 1 minute to talk. The questions are relatively easy. Just practice with photobooth for some time and you will be fine.

Interview Questions

• Tell us one of your skills you develop outside academic and professional lives   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

Very easy. I had one Skype interview with 2 faculty and made a 10 minute presentation relating to the research idea. This was followed by 20 minutes of questions about the post, my previous experience, publications and questions about my resume.

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

I was invited for a 20-minute panel interview.

Interview Questions

• Would you accept this job if offered? What's your A-Level?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Imperial College London (Berkeley, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

I had a skype interview with a professor. It was very informal. I suspect I was already chosen before the interview since most of the questions were regarding how easily I could move to London. I new my future supervisor before the interview, so the purpose of the interview seemed to be more of a formality. In fact, I remember the interviewer mentioning his department issued checklist very explicitly.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I visited Imperial college in person. The professor who hired me took me to lunch and made Imperial appear to be an attractive place to work (which is not hard, it is a good place). Very casual. My pay was not negotiable. It was really just a matter of acceptance or rejection of his/her offer.

Summer Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in South Kensington, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Imperial College London (South Kensington, England (UK)).

Interview

Very simple interview, just sat down with my potential supervisor and we discussed the opportunities he had and my interests. We then discussed the position I was interested in and he explained to me the basics of it and some of the nuances, as well as why they were interested in that specific research topic. Then we began making a plan for the research project.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths, and what topics are you interested in?   Answer Question

MSC Business Analytics Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Imperial College London in April 2017.

Interview

7 general questions using Kira Talent.6 of them were spoken and 1 written. 1 minute to answer the spoken ones and 5 for the written. The focus is more on applicants' character and accomplishments and not on technical questions.

Research Associate Interview

Interview

I did not have an interview as I was working in the same group before.
    From other people's experiences, the interview is normally very competitive.
    A panel of 4-5 people and around 8-10 candidates.

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Imperial College London in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process is scheduled over 2 days. First day is a panel interview, for which we are given a paper to read beforehand. They ask you to summarise the main points of the paper, some technical questions on it and to describe your research background. This is followed by a poster session in the afternoon where groups that have a position available present their current research. If you are successful, they invite you back for the second day for 1 on 1 interviews with group leaders. Was not invited back.

To be honest I was rather unimpressed with the whole process - and I was thinking this at the time and not just because I didn't get through! Firstly, the sent us the interview details and paper one day later than they said they would. I say sent, but they just provided a link to the paper, which was behind a paywall. This is problematic for people such as me that are not currently in the academic system. Luckily I was able to have a friend access the paper for me. They did eventually email everyone the PDF but not until only a few days before the interview day! The paper was rather lengthy and so I feel this was unfair and did not leave everyone with adequate time to prepare.

Also, I feel they invited way too many candidates to the interview stage. Perhaps 40 - 50 for only 10 available projects. They seemed to be running late the entire day and I had to nervously wait in the hall for 10 minutes past my scheduled interview time before being invited in. As a result, the interview felt rushed and I do not feel I had adequate chance to put across my research experience.

I was rather lucky in that my interview was scheduled for later in the afternoon and so I didn't have to wait around for too long until the poster session. Some people however had their interview at 9:30 and then had to wait around for the poster session until 16:30! (Although we were free to leave and come back). There was nothing scheduled for the rest of the time, such as tours of the facilities or the like. We were all crammed into a rather small waiting room for the day and as such it was rather noisy, which made it difficult to read over my notes in preparation for the interview and poster sessions. It would have been nice if we had been giving access to the library or some quiet reading area.

My final observation extends to the poster session. The number of candidates made it very difficult to talk to the current PhD students at each poster or to even get a clear look at the posters at all. Towards the end of the time, it did clear up a bit as more and more candidates left the room and the couple of PhD students that I did manage to talk to towards the end were very friendly and helpful in answering questions.

All in all a rather disappointing experience and I was not as disappointed to not get through as I thought I would have been. I would have liked to have met with my first choice group leader though as I feel that my background would have been a good fit for the group's research. Oh well.

MRC DTP PhD Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Imperial College London (London, England (UK)).

Interview

A three member panel interview with questions regarding an unrelated scientific paper. Everyone invited has an alloted time for this followed by a lunch with the current cohort of students.

Lecturer Interview

Interview

The worst impression of an employer I have ever had: I was invited to interview ti two different departments and, on both occasions, found a nasty surprise which was not on the JD or presented to me via invitation. A devious employer: stay well away, you'll end up preparing for hours only to find out they are truly rubbish with their staff.

Interview Questions

• The teaching will be 'collaborative' (ie you'll end up spending hours just to agree on a good syllabus, rather than preparing the best lesson you could teach), which is common practice in the College (I bet it isn't! I can't imagine all lecturers at Imperial preparing lesson plans with other colleagues of the same discipline, ha!). And we are only telling you now, after you have spent two days on this.   Answer Question