Infinera Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Infinera Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2017

3.1

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Infinera (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

2 phone interviews followed by full day of interviews (with a focus on the content of my PhD talk)
    Interview started in the morning at 9 am and went on until 4 pm. I had a talk related to my PhD, but geared towards my own exact contributions in the work.

Interview Questions

• How did you fabricate the device you spoke about (including process details)   1 Answer

Systems Software Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Infinera (Pittsburgh, PA) in February 2017.

Interview

Didn't make it past the first round which was a phone interview. The interview lasted for 30 mins and it was of moderate difficulty. Asked for proficiency in Python and C++. Asked questions based on projects on resume. Several conceptual questions based on operating systems were asked and later moved on to analytical questions.

Production Buyer/Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Infinera (Sunnyvale, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Received an e-mail 2 days after application on line. The e-mail asked me additional qualification questions. 2 days after I replied, I had an on-site interview invitation scheduled on next week. 30 minutes interview with 4 people separately.

Interview Questions

• ---Go over the resume
      ---If you have the experience in preparing quote/ using material management in SAP/ working with contract manufacturer?
      ---How how proficient are you in excel?
      ---Are you detail-oriented?
      ---Do you have APISC certificates?   Answer Question

Senior Optical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Infinera.

Interview

Applied online, got a call from the hiring manager the next day. The phone conversation was short with background questions and ended with an invitation for an on-site interview. The on-site interview consists of a 45 minute tech talk with Q&A session and about 7 back-to-back one-on-one interviews with employees and managers.

Interview Questions

• A lot of questions were regarding experience, a few technical test-type questions.   Answer Question

Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Infinera (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Phone screening with the hiring manager first followed by an on-site interview.

The on-site interview consisted of a tech talk where they wanted me to present my experience and projects. Then there were back to back interviews for 8 hours with different team members. Most of the interviewers were mostly not prepared and were reading my resume for the first time as they sat in the room with me. They would start the conversation with the standard tell me about yourself question and then take the conversation from there.

Interview Questions

• Some technical/coding questions: Swap the value of variable A and B without using a third variable   2 Answers

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Infinera (Sunnyvale, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Applied online and got a response after just over a week asking about my availability in order to set up a phone interview. After replying with my availability I didn't hear anything for another five days, at which point I received an automated message saying I had not been selected.

Sales Director Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Infinera in February 2016.

Interview

For my position I had to meet with people face to face and for phone interviews with people in sales, sales engineering, channels and up to the SVP of worldwide sales. Coordination of these meeting was smooth and my soon to be manager/boss did a great of coordinating things and keeping the ball moving forward. As many people where traveling and had busy schedules I am sure the whole process could have been a few weeks shorter but this is not a complaint so much as a reality of dealing with a global sales organization. The interview process was fairly common and straight forward, it was very apparent that protecting the culture of the organization was a top priority as I spoke with everyone. I can say the whole process was fair and no unusual or crazy interview incidents to report. All in all I had a great chance to interview the company as much as I was being interviewed.

Interview Questions

• Extensive question on sales process, experience in working with direct customers, channels, partners and previous history in sales management. As infinera has a complex set of Optical products much time was spent on previous relevancy.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiations was very straight forward.

Staff Operations Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Infinera (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

What is the highest level of education you have achieved and in what field?
    Do you have education, experience, or training in engineering related to component sourcing/supply chain planning in the optical networking industry? Please explain.
    Do you have education, experience, or training in using, evaluating, and validating the integrity of the Purchasing and Materials Modules in ERP systems?
    Do you have education, experience, or training in completing predictions on RMA (Return Materials Authorization)?
    Do you have education, experience, or training in production control?
    Do you have education, experience, or training in order administration?
    Do you have education, experience, or training in supporting contract manufacturing and new product introduction materials?

Principal Optical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Infinera (Sunnyvale, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Screening with HR and telephone interview w/hiring manager. I was local so I also met the hiring manger for lunch. Had a second telephone call with the director of group and was invited for an onsite interview.

For the in person interview, they require you to give a 45 min talk on two subjects of your choice, 30 min in depth on one topic and 15 min on a second topic but not as deep. There is 1 hour allocated first thing in the morning for the talk so you will be peppered with questions throughout. About 12-15 ppl attended my talk. I was given a list of people who I would interview with that day and I looked them up on LinkedIn. They either had a PhD or a Masters degree in EE, Physics or Optics which felt intimidating since I knew these people would attend my talk. I think I put additional pressure on myself for the talk by looking them up and finding Stanford, MIT, USC and Berkeley among their alma mater.

After the talk I had one on one interviews with 6-7 ppl throughout the rest of the day, 30 mins each. Many asked more technical questions about my talk and general technical questions in the area of Fiber optic communications. No mind teaser type questions which are no fun to solve during an interview. I also got the feeling they were evaluating my personality to see how I would fit in with the team. I was taken to lunch by the hiring manger and two other people. Here it was more seeing how I interacted with them with questions being general in nature such as my interests, hobbies and about my family etc... not really much technical discussion.

The interview takes the whole day and is quite tiring, basically a full 9-5 day. I was exhausted by the end of the day. I think they generally like confidence in the candidate, the ability to communicate your ideas but I don't think you can fool all of them if you are not technically competent. One person commented that although he wasn't an expert in the topics I talked about he really enjoyed the way I connected my work to the work they do at Infinera. I think they all appreciated how I tailored my talk to them. It was a tough day but I could see how they value the hiring process to try to get it right.

Interview Questions

• Mainly questions about lasers, coherent communications and complex modulation techniques. Nothing someone in this field should be able to answer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer was quite nice, a bump from my current salary, a sign on bonus, performance bonus and RSUs. The compensation package was good so I accepted what they offered.

Director Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Infinera.

Interview

It was mostly about personality and how I would interact with the team. Most candidates had the right credentials... how they interacted with executives, both internally and externally, was a key to the decision. Three rounds of interviews, starting with the hiring manager and expanding throughout the process to include other key stakeholders. Ultimately it was a good experience, not just to ensure a qualified candidate, but to ensure they I really wanted the job.