Infinera Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Infinera President & CEO Tom Fallon
Tom Fallon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Deep in technology, good work life balance" (in 39 reviews)

• "Very difficult to find a technical work environment better in Silicon Valley or elsewhere" (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • "Officially no work from home policy" (in 6 reviews)

• "Unrelenting focus on the customer results in long hours" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"About as Close to Perfect as I Can Imagine"

Former Employee - Failure Analysis Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Failure Analysis Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Infinera full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. Exciting environment. Genuinely pleasant people. Loved my time at Infinera.

Cons

Still a fairly young company, and so they need to make some process improvements.

Advice to Management

Keep talking to your team about what they want for their future with the company. These career conversations are very important. Encourage young men and women to reach for the starts, within Infinera, of course!

2. "Good work-life balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Infinera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work-life balance, attitude towards work is really good

Cons

No onsite opportunities, only one office location in entire Bangalore

""It was a good company""

Current Employee - Director in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Infinera full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Reasonable benefit package and nice peers.

Cons

1. System engineering management is chaotic. Three SVP and VPs left the company in less than 2 years. New replacements are invisible to the team.
    2. Old timers (5+ years) started leaving the company. There are many farewell emails every week.
    3. The company is in the sustaining mode. The highest priority is to maintain a few customers. Current products' delivery kept delaying, no new products are in the pipeline.
    4. Bad planning and poor execution. The acquisition of Transmode is proven to be a wrong decision, which is a big loss to shareholders and the company financially and emotionally.
    5. The most recent announcement of intent to acquire Coriant concerns people, which may make the boat sink quickly.

Advice to Management

1. Be focus and frugal, don't waste money on acquisition. There has been no any successful stories of M&A in telecom industry since 2000.
    2. Get rid of these invisible VPs who are irresponsible and distracting.

"Infinera is a Nightmare"

I have been working at Infinera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Infinera has decent health benefits and, for the most part, the employees are very decent people.

Cons

This company does not care about its employees. All the discussion is focused on the customer experience. Which, being a customer driven company, makes perfect sense, but employees are just as if not MORE important. How can you prioritize the customer experience over your employees? Happy employees usually lead to a productive workforce and great customer relationships. Instead, Infinera has a slave driving culture, especially amongst their engineers. The compensation is lackluster and the opportunities for promotion are simply not there. The executive staff is 100% out of touch, including the CEO. Our CEO is great at getting us amped up in employee all hands meetings, but behind closed doors he’s something different. He curses up a storm and is very disrespectful to both men and particularly women (although there arent many) who work alongside him executively. Management is extremely underprepared and turnover makes it difficult for individual contributors to feel as if they have any kind of grasp on any of the things they do or are to do. Infinera recently announced the decision to acquire a new company 8 months after a major workforce reduction that devastated many of us. And we come to find out that this acquisition will come with further workforce reduction, how are we supppsed go trust the company and our leaders? People are leaving and I don’t blame them. Infinera is simply unstable and I don’t see a bright future at this company. The CEO told us to leave if we don’t want to be a part of this work anymore, and that’s exactly what many of us intend to do. Compared to other tech companies in the bay the work life flexibility is embarrasing and Infinera should be ashamed. People have real lives and circumstances outside of work and you should be aware of and express that you care about that. The maternity leave sucks and overall investment in women is virtually nonexistent. The exec staff and CEO say a lot of things but put no action behind their words. The PTO and sick leave policy are also archaic, it’s amazing they’ve gotten away with it this long. This company is also extremely hierarchical and is not transparent about really anything, despite this new initiative they rushed into with setting goals and being transparent as employees and as a company. At the latest all hands, the CEO told us to get with it or leave, I hope he doesn’t live to regret that statement.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people. What is a company without its workforce? Also there are way too many VPs, I suggest that you fix that. Invest in women. They are the future.

5. "All"

I have been working at Infinera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall, great company. Great gear.

Cons

Office space could be a bit bigger.

Advice to Management

Be persistent. Be more demanding from workers.

"Poor Management = Poor Execution"

I worked at Infinera full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging work, always something to do each day. Co-workers are pleasant and the old timers are very knowledgeable.

Cons

Middle management is incompetent in the HW & SW systems engineering teams across all locations. They never have ideas how to improve product development and don't ask for any ideas from employees.
    Completely uninspiring SVP/VP/SrDir leadership between the CEO/CTO and the employees. They only come out to regurgitate the CEO's talking points after quaterly earnings, otherwise you wouldn't know who they are.
    Zero chance for a promotion based on your job performance, only promote you when your salary creeps high enough to force them to or you threaten to leave.
    That is frustrating when you see others promoted solely because of reporting structure reasons due to their organization's size.
    They only hire from outside the company to fill leadership roles, so you are reporting to new hires every 3-5 years and then they are determining your salary/promotion at the end of the year when they barely know what you are doing.
    The stock given out and its performance is a perpetual disappointment.

Advice to Management

Your management team are just glorified status reporters, you need to figure that out already and doing something about it. They are not leaders as you think they are and have little impact on product development.
    Better start promoting from within for a change or you will eventually lose those who are compensating for the poor management team.

"Good company at sustaining innovation"

I have been working at Infinera full-time

Pros

Great minds to work with, motivating culture.

Cons

Extremely hierarchical for a company of Infinera's size.

"Overall it is good place to work. People are very friendly."

Current Employee - Senior Hardware Development Engineer in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Hardware Development Engineer in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Infinera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly working environment. Peoples are all very nice to each other.

Cons

Always working under a tight schedule.

A lot of people are not fairly treated. Promotion is difficult.

9. "Logistics Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrollton, TX

I worked at Infinera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Infinera has very good benefits.

Cons

Infinera is not a fan of home based working.

10. "Great Executive Team"

I have been working at Infinera full-time

Pros

Awesome company, Great technology...feels like a startup...always exciting

Cons

Product development cycles are longer, but products are truly better than competition. Growth opportunities are really up to you, no handouts for promotions.