Instructure Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 10, 2017

3.1

Accounts Receivable Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cottonwood Heights, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Instructure (Cottonwood Heights, UT).

Interview

I applied through referral. The process took about 3 weeks. First had for a phone interview with the A/R manager and a Revenue accountant. They were really nice people. Asked a couple of accounting questions to test my knowledge. Very friendly interview. On the following week, I had an onsite interview. Gave me a tour of the whole office. The corporate controller was really personable, and friendly. At the end of the interview, they asked me for my references. Two days later, I got an offer, and accepted it.

Customer Success Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Instructure.

Interview

Virtual interview, through a Cisco software(a little buggy, what not use Hangouts?). Two people were interviewing me, a girl and a guy. They weren't from HR because Instructure only has one HR person and he was pretty busy, so they did the interview themselves - the interviewers are from the Customer Success department. You can tell that they didn't know what to look for or how to judge a good applicant (not saying that I was a good applicant). They didn't really care about my prior experiences, but were mainly looking for people that would fit in to their "cool" culture. Interview was just a little frustrating.

L1 Technical Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Instructure (Salt Lake City, UT) in February 2017.

Interview

A great discussion with the team leaders. I sat down with three managers, who asked about my background, used several fun exercises to discover how I think, and created a very friendly and inviting atmosphere. Truly enjoyable and very rewarding. They were very receptive to questions and comments, and made the interview process a fun experience.

Interview Questions

• We played 20 questions. It was pretty epic. We also spent a good deal of time discussing culture, strategies for de-escalating customers, and other essential topics.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasant Grove, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Instructure (Pleasant Grove, UT).

Interview

First interview was a screening interview with a recruiter asking general questions. Also wanted to know pay I was seeking before moving on. Generally a nice phone call.

Second step was a coding challenge. The coding challenge wasn't bad but was completely different from the job description. Job description requires that you only need to be proficient in Javascript with preferred skills in Angular or React but tests your knowledge in Java, C, Python and back-end concepts for this front-end job.

I overall felt like I was lead to believe the job was a front-end focused job but was tested on back-end concepts and languages instead.

Final step is meeting with team members to dive into conceptual code and see if they like you.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Instructure (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

HR screen was pleasant. Second screen was 15 multiple choice, followed by 2 coding questions. There isn't reasonably enough time to complete both coding tests, if you want to get the multiple choice questions correct. Hence, I had make a best guess on the multiple choice to have adequate time for coding. The coding questions are not trivial. 30 mins for 2 coding questions is not reasonable. Not sure who picks out these coding questions, but not an effective means to technically screen candidates. Is the idea to see how fast someone can code, or can take the time to come up with an elegant solution in a reasonable time?

Interview Questions

• Input a matrix representing a body of water, print, in ascending order, the smallest-to-largest bodies of water. A body of water is connected if the cells are contiguous horizontally, vertically, or diagonally.   Answer Question

Full Stack Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Instructure in January 2017.

Interview

The first interview was a 30 min phone call from HR. It was basically asking about my background and knowledge of fullstack development. After that was a test on HackerRank that consisted of 15 multiple choice questions and 2 programming challenges. The programming challenges weren't that hard, but you need to get through the multiple choice quickly to allow enough time.

Interview Questions

• Write and algorithm that can compute pond size given a NxM grid   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Instructure in December 2016.

Interview

The first interview was the initial phone screening with one of the technical managers. The second step consisted of a code challenge, which was to load images retrieved from a popular website. I had 24 hours from the time received to complete and submit. The final step was an onsite interview where I meet members of the team.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between a process and a thread?
      Name and describe some of the design patterns you've worked with.
      Describe how you go about performing your daily assignments.
      Answer Question

Account Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Instructure (Salt Lake City, UT) in November 2016.

Interview

Recommended by friend to apply. Entire process took 3+ weeks to determine decision. I was scheduled to interview with hiring manager, but meat with two Lead ADM's and two ADM's. The interview process was very easy. Inexperienced Lead's and ADM's for the interview process.

Engineering Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Instructure (Salt Lake City, UT) in November 2016.

Interview

Employee referral and asked to apply online.

Briefly spoke to a recruiter who openly yawned on the phone when going over the position. He went over my resume and asked personality questions and why I think I am a good fit for Instructure. At the end he said he doesn't know what the next steps are and he will get back to me in a week.

I never heard back for over a month and then he said the job opening was for an internal candidate who moved into this position and they just posted it online.

Interview Questions

• How creative are you in your job?
      Do you enjoy working in a sink or swim mode?
      Instructure typically lays off low performing individuals, are you okay with that?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Instructure (San Jose, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

applied online, did a phone interview, got call for onsite. The phone interview was mostly HR. Had 1:1 interview with 4 panel members. Asked question related to programming. It went well. Felt very happy.

Interview Questions

• You have a 100 coins laying flat on a table, each with a head side and a tail side. 10 of them are heads up, 90 are tails up. You can't feel, see or in any other way find out which side is up. Split the coins into two piles such that there are the same number of heads in each pile   Answer Question