Instructure Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Instructure Interview Questions

Interviews at Instructure

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Had phone screening, thought would lead to interview with team but recruiter dropped ball and never got back to me or responded to emails.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Instructure in October 2014.

Interview

I applied on career fair. After about one month, I got the on-site interview. They send me google doc to assign the time of interview. The on-site interview is about 3 hours. I met 4 engineers. Each engineer asked me 1~2 questions about my experiences, and 1~2 coding problems. The coding problems did not focus on algorithm. They focused on OO design and how to solve problems.

Interview Questions

• Questions are about the experiences and coding. Each round there are 1~2 question about experiences and 1~2 coding. The coding problems did not focus on algorithm. They focused on how to solve problems and OO design.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Instructure (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2015.

Interview

1. Phone Interview with HR; non-technical; 15 mins
    2. Video call with Director of Development; Answered some simple fizzbuzz types in an online text editor; 30 mins
    3. 3 - 4 hour coding exercise implementing a front-end to a REST service in any language/tech. Pretty straight forward.
    4. 6 1-hour interviews on site with tech leads and director of development. Almost all included whiteboard coding in language of choice. 1 included building a small node app on the interviewers machine. This was too much. If you can't tell my skill level with 4 coding questions you can't tell with 12+ (They also provided lunch.)

After I did all of the prerequisites and took a day off work to go for a full day of interviews they called a full week later to let me know that they actually didn't need what the job posting said and they were only hiring developers with 10+ years of experience. If that is the truth then get your act together. 12+ hours is a lot to commit to an interview process that will never pan out.

Interview Questions

• Implement the sieve of eratosthenes as a function in any language. Additionally they asked me to implement it as a generator.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Instructure.

Interview

Had a phone screen, Hr send me email, but never reply me, then I email him again. After that, I think it was positive. a week later, I emailed them to ask the process, surprisinly found my email address was blocked by their system. It was so Rude !!! At least you should reply me, or I can ask your rejection, be a gentle man. Never met this kind of behavior before

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Instructure in November 2014.

Interview

Interviewed by different people on different teams (it will probably take all day as they are very thorough). Some questions were very simple. Some made me think real hard. I'm not going to lie, they are very strict in their hiring process. However, if you make it, you will not be trying to carry the team, I guarantee it.

Negotiation

They are very competitive. Ask for your dollar value and chances are they will give it to you.

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Instructure (Salt Lake City, UT) in September 2014.

Interview

Interviewed by 2 groups of 3, all members of the team were involved. Took about 2 hours. Some whiteboarding involved. A homework assignment sometimes given but not in my case. Covered some SQL, ruby and javascript knowledge.

Interview Questions

• write out a ruby method for arrays that does what 'map' does.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Instructure (Salt Lake City, UT) in August 2014.

Interview

Phone interview with two technical questions. Asked to submit a coding assessment that took about 4 hours. A full days worth of in person, technical interviews with 6 different engineers. The team looks for culture fit, previous experience, and technical aptitude. Each in person interview rates you in those 3 categories on a scale of 1-5.

Interview Questions

• Implement ruby's map function. Parse through a lot of CSV's given with fake class enrollment information, and print out who is in the class at the end of all of the entries.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes, I was able to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Instructure (Salt Lake City, UT) in February 2016.

Interview

Their recruiter contacted me and sent me this open position, we had a 45 minutes phone interview then 30 minutes google hangout interview with engineering lead and code assignment. They called me to salt lake city for a full day interview with 4 engineers and VP of engineering. They asked me to code on my laptop and white board, I solved all the four complex problems in the limited given time and they looked happy. Next day recruiter called and notified that they decided to move forward with other candidates! Nothing to say just waste of time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Instructure (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

The interview had three parts. A phone interview to cover things generically. Then a online coding test. Then an all day interview with multiple people. The first two parts were straight forward.
    The all day interview was off putting. I had to be there at 9 am, but it was almost 9:30 before the interview started. Then it was a series of multiple people for an hour or so with lunch in between. Two of the interviewer seemed personable and asked questions to get to know me better.
    The other interview seemed disinterested, maybe grabbed at the last minute or under heavy deadline. I don't know, but they didn't seem interested. Or maybe they just do it all the time. Some of the questions seemed canned or just plain stupid. If you were a tree, what would you be? Those type questions. Other times, I felt like the interviewer just wanted me to be in awe of how smart they were, or something.

The overall impression was not bad, but not good either. I spent a lot of time wondering what it would be like to work with some of these people. In the end, I couldn't make for a good impression. They didn't give much feedback and I left unsure if was able to give them the answers they wanted. It felt like a waste of day.

Interview Questions

• Write code to handle the 'Game of Life', not the board game, but something found on Wikipedia about square and their proximity.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Instructure (Salt Lake City, UT) in June 2017.

Interview

Initial phone call with HR, discussed the company, its products, and my career goals.

Online coding test, with multiple choice questions involving several languages, and two coding problems.

Next was a technical interview with one or two engineers over video chat. The format was pretty casual and non-threatening, it felt more like a discussion, which I really liked. Most of the questions were along the lines of "Tell me what you think about X", or "When would you use X over Y", etc, and then we'd talk back and forth on that for a while. Difficult questions, but not too stressful.

Finally, they flew me out for on-site interviews, which consisted of five one-on-one's. Each interview we spent about half the time casually talking about experience with some light technical questions, then the other half was whiteboard/laptop coding. The questions were challenging, but the interviewers were involved in the discussion, and it was like we were solving the problem together. Everyone I met was super nice, seemed happy to be there. Again, pretty difficult interviews, but they're done in a way that doesn't feel too stressful.