Instructure Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 12, 2019

4.1
Instructure CEO Dan Goldsmith
Dan Goldsmith
Pros
  • "Great culture with people who are excited about the work they are doing(in 30 reviews)

• "An awesome company culture and chill environment, excellent place to work with great benefits, definitely know how to treat their employees(in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • "growing pains and plans changing all the time(in 21 reviews)

• "Growing so fast, sometimes you feel like you're building the plane while it's in the air(in 9 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Instructure full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible time, Great company, lots of equity

Cons

Management sets unclear goals for career advancement.

Instructure2019-10-12
  2. "A great company that gets its employees!"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Cottonwood Heights, UT

I have been working at Instructure full-time for less than a year

Pros

Instructure cares about its employees, they have a rich total rewards package that proves they don't cut any corners. The leadership and people are among the best, everyone is open and honest and here to make a difference! I am glad I get a chance to tell people everyday how much I love working here and sharing the company vision with them.

Cons

Sometimes internal processes can be a bit ambiguous and messy. I believe this due to the recent change in senior leadership but we are working through the changes and I see these problems as temporary.

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent with employees, it makes all the difference!

Instructure2019-09-10

"New Leadership, lots of change...but all for the best"

Current Employee - Vice President in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Instructure full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexibility, Work-Life Balance, Opportunities for growth. I've been able to spend a lot of time with most of the senior executives. They are great people who are super human, down-to-earth people.

Cons

80-20 cash-stock compensation plan for most employees. But most people would prefer all cash compensation.

Advice to Management

Get away from your desks and talk/laugh with the employees.

Instructure2019-09-03

"Great fun place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Instructure full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Instructure is very Career oriented. They are willing to take a chance on their people to help them advance in their career.

Cons

It's awesome they take a chance on people to advance in their career, but this sometimes creates for poor management because they are not well trained.

Advice to Management

A manager needs more training to be a manager.

Instructure2019-08-28

"Overall cool company"

Current Employee - Partner Account Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Instructure full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits Good culture Some really top notch people Solid products

Cons

New executive leadership Less transparent than before

Advice to Management

Listen to your people

Instructure2019-08-27

"Great company to get you back on your feet, culture makes a toxic work environment for long term."

Current Employee - L1 Support Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Instructure full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent Benefits, loads of free food. millennial driven work environment.

Cons

While the rest of the company is seeing massive growth. the support department is beginning to stagnate. The Workload and expectation of the average agent increases increment by increment. "Scope" of support grows with little change to pay. And process changes are made every few weeks almost. Expectations on what is needed to advance change with the mood of management. Whether it be attitude, work ethic, or if... you're "teachers pet". It's difficult to see where you stand amongst your peers as some are given "special projects" from management while others are passed up without a note. Favoritism is rampant and has been for years.

Advice to Management

Can the favoritism, make an active effort to make opportunities available to a larger variety of agents, put a focus on agents who are able to do their original job and stop rewarding those who shirk it leaving their peers in the wake to keep up SLAs.

Instructure2019-08-06

"Great people, great place, great work"

Former Employee - CUstomer Success and Support in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Instructure full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Instructure was an amazing place to work and grow. I spent a long time there, and I always felt like I had as much leash as I needed to accomplish great things while also having leaders who supported and helped me when I ran into obstacles. Like any company, it's grown a lot over the years and changed as it's grown... but nearly all of the changes were timely, healthy, and appropriate... and when people misstepped... in a given change, they owned it and fixed it. No place is perfect, but an accessible, human leadership team that owns up to mistakes and listens to feedback is an awesome foundation for an all-around great work life, and Instructure measures up.

Cons

The downside of life at INST was a hard, inevitable byproduct of its rapid and constant growth, and that's that things frequently felt fluid and unsettled. It's not the best place to work if you need lots of structure and clear, unchanging directions at a really granular level. And lots of great people need that kind of structure, so that's not a "humblebrag" con. It's legitimate and real and a challenge if you... prefer predictability and stability over possibility and growth opportunities.

Instructure2019-07-16

"Warning: A Lot of Red Flags!"

Former Employee - Product in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Instructure full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great coworkers, amazing benefits: unlimited PTO, 100% healthcare premiums, stock options, stock purchase plan, catered lunches, stocked kitchens.

Cons

There have been significant red flags - especially with the leadership team. The CEO, Dan Goldsmith, recently hired his sister into a C-Suite position. To avoid a conflict of interest, they are making her report to Intructure's Head of Legal - even though it's against Instructure's policy to have family reporting to you. This is wrong for a public company. This upset a lot of people. The flagship product, Canvas,... is a cash-cow. Our corporate product, Bridge, is not good. We try to sell it so hard and it's a waste of money. There are more overpaid people in certain departments who crawled their way up the ladder just because they worked at Instructure in the beginning.

Advice to Management

Read the cons section and try to start fixing those issues.

Instructure2019-06-22

"Downhill trend"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Instructure full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazing teams, brilliant people Great benefits (stock options, fully covered health insurance premiums, 401k contributions, free gym membership or reimbursement) Fair compensation Good work/life balance Free lunch on Wednesdays Kitchens and cafe are stocked well Unlimited PTO

Cons

Shoddy leadership doing odd things, both at the executive level (new CEO) as well as the department level (VPs, Directors) Many of the great people who built the company up have left The values have been reduced down from the original seven down to four Transparency doesn't seem to be valued anymore Product isn't effective because strategy is often all over the place (sometimes engineering does what they want,... sometimes sales' demands are prioritized, etc.) Products are often launched and do not meet MVP requirements Customer Success is quite a mess and many individual contributors are skating by Company swore they'd never do layoffs but they have Open office is distracting Internal communication across all departments is non-existent

Advice to Management

Make a plan for the future and talk to your people about it. Acknowledge that the culture and mentality of the company must change in order to move forward. Bring transparency back to the forefront. Trim the fat and get rid of the people who bring nothing to the table.

Instructure2019-06-17

"On track for big things"

Current Employee - Director of Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Instructure full-time for more than a year

Pros

Instructure is a fun place to work, doesn't take itself too seriously, the exact opposite of micromanage-y. Great perks and benefits. Strong leadership.

Cons

There has been a fair amount of change on the Bridge side over the last several years that have hampered growth. Stability is here though.

Instructure2019-06-01