InterSystems Interview Questions | Glassdoor

InterSystems Interview Questions

Updated Nov 9, 2017

Intern Interview

Interview

Test consists of logic questions. It asks you to think about coding in a custom language, since the company uses a one. You are not allowed to re-apply so this is a pretty important test.

Interview Questions

• None of the individual questions were that difficult given a basic knowledge of computer science/logic. But if you spend just a little too much time on questions, you could run out of time.   Answer Question

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at InterSystems in October 2017.

Interview

Three online assessments/tests (more about them below):

*** 1. Predictive Index Behavioral Assessment™ - not time-limited, very short (2 page)

Created and administered by Predictive Index, this is one of one several most widely used pre-employment psychological and personality tests. This is basically a mutual compatibility test. This is a way for a highly structured established organization to avoid distractions and choose disciplined subordinate conforming organized focused detail-oriented employees. It is also a way for innovative risk-takers, innovators, change agents, and disruptors to avoid mismatching environments. Obviously, this test can be easily gamed, but why do it? If you are rejected on the basis of this test, you have avoided a place, where you will not be appreciated, adjusted, or happy. A good company always understands how to leverage different personality types and gives employees opportunities to adapt (and employees do adjust and adapt). A good company may use such a test primarily to understand how to organize teams and where to fit employees. In this case, such assessment is used for avoiding "big picture" thinkers, disruprive ideating innovators, and those, who may challenge the status-quo. If you one of these types, don't bother.

*** 2. "Professional Employment Test" (PET) - a short 20-question 45 min time-limited test similar to some standardized graduate admission tests, such as GMAT; created, hosted, and administered by VitaPowered

This is a fairly easy test, especially given the ample amount of time.

*** 3. "Technical Employment Test" (TET) - proprietary, hosted and administered by HackerRank.

This is also a time-limited test - 35 minutes to answer 20 questions. It measures your ability to learn, memorize, and apply MUMPS programming language syntax. The way TET is organized, once you miss a thing, your will answer most of the remaining questions incorrectly, as correct interpretation of prior questions and correctly answering them is a prerequisite for correctly answering subsequent questions. I have seen and taken dozens and dozens of tests, and I have not seen another test with such built-in error-compounding mechanism. I am sure this is intentional, but it is highly unusual. In any case, to prepare for this assessment, learn MUMPS.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at InterSystems in October 2017.

Interview

They gave me two tests to take online, one predictive index test and one technical test. The predictive index test just gave a list of personality traits and asked to check off how I think other people would describe me and how I would describe myself. The technical test was a 20 question multiple choice test where they give you basic concepts of a made up programming languages and have you answer questions about them. If you pass the technical test then you're given a third test, a professional employment test, which tests you on your cognitive abilities with reading comprehension, logic, problem solving, and data interpretation questions.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at InterSystems (Berkeley, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

3 online assessments, one technical, one logical and one survey. The technical one is a coding assessment that is sort of a made-up language with its own rules, and you are expected to find patterns and answer questions accordingly.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at InterSystems (Boston, MA) in September 2017.

Interview

Received a technical HackerRank multi-choice in some arbitrary constructed language and what was essentially a personality survey. Passed those and received a professional employment test which asked basic business and logical questions. Some weird questions that didn't have a concrete correct answer

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at InterSystems in September 2017.

Interview

I was given two assessments to do. The first is personality test, second is logical made up programming language. No details given on your score on these tests. The rules of the language are arbitrary and not clearly made out.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at InterSystems in September 2017.

Interview

Applied online and recieved a 3-part interview proccess. First was a quick personality test and then a HackerRank test (Written for someone who has never touched code, so it was a bit hard to comprehend at first). Next was a professional test asking logical reasoning questions and basic data interperetations

Interview Questions

• There was some question regarding array indexing where the index started at 1, not 0   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at InterSystems in July 2017.

Interview

After applying I had to schedule 3 online assessment tests with them, as well as having to email them when they were all finished with the last answer from the last test as a "related exercise" to "evaluate your attention to detail and thoroughness".

This felt like antiquated corporate bureaucracy but I went along with it. The tests were a short behavioral quiz, a "Professional Employment Test", and a coding test with an arbitrary new language to see if you could pick it up in a short amount of time. The last two were apparently not able to handle being taken using Chrome, as repeated warnings told.

The "Professional Employment Test" was mostly charts and word problems about things irrelevant to software engineers, mostly testing basic algebra and ability to figure out badly organized charts. It really didn't seem to be fitting for the position. The coding test was ostensibly to figure out if you understood low-level basic concepts well enough to pick up a new language, but so much of it was dependant on previous answers that one confused concept could probably fail you entirely.

I did not "meet [their] mark on the qualifying screening assessment" so that was it. They did not tell me which of the three I didn't meet their mark on, but it kind of feels like I dodged a bullet regardless.

Interview Questions

• Given this poorly organized chart, decipher the omitted values based on other information.   Answer Question

Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at InterSystems (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Took the pre-interview tests (a personality assay and a logic/quant test), and was told I was an excellent fit type-wise. I had three interviews in addition to meeting with the head of recruiting. I was told I'd be called in a few days for second round interviews, but never heard a thing. Bad form.

Interview Questions

• Why are you considering a move from your current position?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at InterSystems (Boston, MA) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Their HR contacted me in one week and sent me some instructions regarding to the assessment test. After I finished the first round of assessment is finished they reviewed for a day, and said the result did not reach their mark.

Interview Questions

• Give you a set of grammar rules, and ask you the result of code written in those grammar.   Answer Question