KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

InterSystems Reviews

Updated May 8, 2022

Found 251 of over 302 reviews

4.0
InterSystems CEO Terry Ragon (no image)
Terry Ragon

57 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years
    Featured Review

Great and Caring company

Mar 14, 2022 - Sales Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great combination of technology and people

Cons

Sometimes has troubles with moving along with time

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Working Atmosphere

May 8, 2022 - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits and People. The people you work with are awesome and the benefits are great

Cons

Old school tech company business casual, not flexible remote working, and there's a bureaucracy that can be annoying, but the everyday work is great

Be the first to find this review helpful
  3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Smart people, great work environment

May 1, 2022 - Systems Developer in Cambridge, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Smart and kind coworkers! - Room to learn about different areas (e.g., different modules (connectors)) and languages (C, C++, Python, ObjectScript...) - Work-life balance is appreciated and respected; management cares about your well-being and won't push you to work crazy hours - Product that offers useful, often critical functionality: e.g., for managing healthcare data in hospitals - Office space is lovely - Good pay, in line with the market

Cons

- 3 days per week must be in-office, so if remote work is a priority for you, keep that in mind - Business casual dress code (no big deal but again, if that bothers you, something to be aware of) - Technical debt: a substantial amount of the work is maintenance and bug-fixing. Typical for a mature product that has been developed over the course of decades, I think, but something to be aware of depending on what you're looking for.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  4. 1.0
    Current Employee

Stay far away from the sinking ship of InterSystems.

Apr 23, 2022 - Anonymous in Cambridge, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Teams are smart and generally upbeat

Cons

The owner and CEO micromanages everything and rarely listens to employee input, even from senior management. Male coworkers use weird phrases like "under the covers" to describe how software works behind the scenes. Salaries and benefits are quickly falling further and further behind the market rate, employees are leaving en masse, and we can't manage to hire anyone new. Instead of embracing remote work, employees are required to come in to the office three days a week just so they can connect to remote meetings with colleagues located at other offices. Teams are extremely siloed and do not communicate well. Instead of doing market research and building new products that work for many users, each team reacts to whatever they hear individual clients want and build it from scratch, leading to many duplicate projects and lots of wasted effort. We do not invest in new technology, new talent, or listening to new users, and things are getting progressively worse.

9 people found this review helpful
  5. 1.0
    Former Employee

Definitely astroturfing reviews

May 2, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The amenities are nice, I guess?

Cons

I'm still trying to recover from how I was treated here. They talk a big game about "truly caring", but tossed me out like I was trash after only a few months of working there (with zero notice or warning). Maybe this is something that only happened in my department/with my manager? But I highly doubt it. Like some other reviewers said: there's zero onboarding, it's sink or swim as soon as you start; and if they're not happy with your performance, they'll just decide to fire you before giving you any chance to improve.

4 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Excellent tech, people, and environment.

Feb 8, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The technology and the people behind it are top notch. Very intelligent people working hard to do the right work in the right way. Work/life balance is excellent. Facilities are very nice including a beautiful location, gym, cafe, etc. IT is very responsive to user needs. Training and educational materials are very accessible and well done. Benefits and compensation are quite good. A focus on DEI is coming and, while it doesn't appear to be a problem, will be very welcome.

Cons

Some things are a bit "antiquated" like the dress code (business casual) and, in COVID times, the requirement to work in the office as much as is demanded (3x week, unless there's a surge). However, these are minor and easily overlooked. I personally work more than the required amount from the office and don't mind the dress code.

7. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

An old style thinking company. Like in the middle age.

Jan 25, 2022 - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

No pros anymore, a couple of years ago I could say they were paying very well. But now NOT at all. 120k U$D gross for working office located in Cambridge-Boston. is not enough money. You think a two-bedroom apartment will cost you half of your net salary. :-). So no PROS. Just could be they pay you good health insurance... or maybe everyone does that. I don't know.

Cons

You have to wear a formal code dress policy, even those days that you are working from home! Ridiculous!! You have to work from the office location, it's NOT allowed to work from your HOME. No remote work is allowed. Just some times in COVID times, but their idea is to come back full time to the offices around the world. Not well paid nowadays. Other companies pay 8k USD as contractors remotely and you could choose to live in every place on the planet you like. So, a bad company nowadays to work.

11 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Life Changing Opportunities

Aug 2, 2021 - Sales Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

They treat everyone like a true asset to the company. There is a culture of fostering growth, and encouraging you to find your forever career. There is flexible in all the ways that matter. Every manager has really listened to me and provided valuable professional support. Flexibility is even a recognized and rewarded review factor. I couldn't ask for more from job security point of view either. An amazing company to work for.

Cons

No remote work, but all the work from home days you need. Requires vaccinations since we are pretty engrained in healthcare community. Actually makes me feel really safe knowing everyone in the office has to be vaccinated. Dress code is a little strict, which is a minor inconvenience. The office certainly looks like a very professional place to work compared to other tech companies. Privately owned means whatever Terry says, goes. But also means there is less squabbling in stratigic direction. Company has seen 40 years of proitability. So, hard to argue there.

8 people found this review helpful
  9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Love everything but WFO policy

Jan 14, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Compensation and benefits are great. Nice work environment.

Cons

There's no flexibility with the WFH policy anymore. You are required to come in at least 3 days a week. If you take two days off for PTO, you need to come into the office for the rest of the week. The leadership is very old-fashioned and refuses to budge on this issue, even though we have seen a tremendous amount of people leave the company this year for fully-remote positions elsewhere.

11 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Current Employee

Good Place to Work

Feb 22, 2022 - Current Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Smart people, collaborative environment, beautiful office, good pay and work/life balance, access to executives, meaningful work, customer-focus, no COVID layoffs, stable company with strong recurring revenue and still growing

Cons

Almost all jobs are office-based, less WFH flexibility and more formal dress code compared to other tech companies, flat organization and lesser titles than some equivalent roles elsewhere, retention has become more challenging recently

Viewing 1 - 10 of 251 Reviews

InterSystems Reviews FAQs

InterSystems has an overall rating of 4.0 out of 5, based on over 302 reviews left anonymously by employees. 77% of employees would recommend working at InterSystems to a friend and 78% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, InterSystems employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at InterSystems. This rating has decreased by -2% over the last 12 months.

77% of InterSystems employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated InterSystems 4.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.0 for culture and values and 3.5 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at InterSystems to be career development, culture, benefits and the cons to be work life balance, senior leadership, management.

Popular Careers with InterSystems Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at InterSystems? Share Your Experiences

InterSystems Careers

Cover image for InterSystems

We are the Engine Behind the World’s Most Important Applications Some applications are too important to fail. They support our healthcare...More

• Leadership
  • Careers
  • Social Impact
  • COVID-19

Company Updates

129 days ago

Company News
We’re proud to share that InterSystems has been awarded “2022 Best Places to Work” by Built In Boston! We are ranked in 4 out of 6 categories, including Best Places to Work, Best Large Places to Work, Best Paying Companies, and Best Perks and Benefits. InterSystems offers flexible work schedules, generous parental leave, and competitive benefits. Our aim is to foster a collaborative culture that supports career development. More about our awards here: https://lnkd.in/gGKWNEuE And we're hiring! Check out our opportunities around the world by visiting our Careers page: https://lnkd.in/gyJkAvNa
Shared image

381 days ago

Company News
InterSystems joins Gartner Peer Insights Customer First program Presently, InterSystems is the only vendor from Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud Database Management Systems in Customer First Program for its InterSystems IRIS® data platform. “Our motto is and has always been to take care of the customer and build great products,” said John Paladino, vice president, client services, InterSystems. “We’re proud to offer our customers an environment where they feel empowered to share honest, unbiased feedback that informs how we improve our products and services to best meet their evolving needs. We believe that the Customer First badge validates our commitment to our customers and the importance of open lines of communication.” A cloud-independent data platform, InterSystems IRIS can be deployed on all major public clouds and supports multi-cloud and hybrid environments. InterSystems IRIS eliminates the need to integrate multiple technologies and makes it easier to build high-performance, machine learning-enabled applications that connect data and application silos.
Shared image - InterSystems joins Gartner Peer Insights Customer First program

InterSystems photo of: One Memorial Drive Headquarters
InterSystems workplace photo
InterSystems photo of: Don Woodlock, VP HealthShare
InterSystems photo of: Cambridge office event - 8th floor
InterSystems photo of: Cambridge office first floor
InterSystems photo of: We would like to take a moment today and thank clinicians around the world, including our very own at InterSystems, for their commitment to fight the #COVID19 pandemic on the front lines.
InterSystems workplace photo