InterSystems Reviews

Updated Jun 22, 2020

4.3
InterSystems CEO Terry Ragon (no image)
Terry Ragon
Pros
Cons
  • "not as many benefits as other tech companies, dress code if it's not your thing(in 10 reviews)

• "Many developers have left due to lack of career path; you got same paycheck/benefits as new hires after working here more than 5 years(in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Wonderful Company"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at InterSystems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- collaborative work environment full of bright and passionate individuals - intellectually stimulating (and rewarding) problems to solve - opportunities to hone existing skill set and develop new talents crucial to career development

Cons

- the application/hiring process can be a bit challenging, but it is definitely worth it

2. "Great company that cares for employee"

Former Employee - Developer

I worked at InterSystems full-time

Pros

Large emphasis on employee well-being

Cons

Constrained by a lot of the old systems and programs

"Good start off point for career, don't stay for long."

2.0
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Cambridge, MA

I worked at InterSystems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pros: I worked at InterSystems for around 5 years. - The engineering part of the company is great. Everyone is ready to help out and mentorship is very strong - Work life balance is good. - Good culture within teams; team lunches, office wide events.

Cons

InterSystems uses their proprietary database technology for the backend of most of their products, set up in another very esoteric language called Cache. Using this technology means the more years you spend at this company, the less "real experience" other employers will think you have. This isn't necessarily a bad thing; if the engineering organization offered a good career track and strong compensation growth, there isn't much incentive to leave. Unfortunately, this company offers neither of those things. The structure is extremely flat (no promotions in the organization I was a part of in the 5 years I was there). Raises are never approved by the CEO, only a constant amount (not percentage) cost of living increase every year. The organization has been losing employees at a steady pace, and the departing employees have made these points clear in their exit interviews. Leadership decides to change nothing. The starting salaries are not terrible, so it does make sense to stick it out here for a year or two, then jump ship. Management likes to make promises that are outlandish to get their own numbers up, which then falls on the individual teams to figure out how to balance a large load of work. Tends to make everyday at work about firefighting rather than meaningful long term planning.

Continue reading
  4. "Fantastic company to work for"

Current Employee - Accounts Payable Associate in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at InterSystems full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've never encountered a private sector company as generous and fair to its employees as Intersystems. The workplace is full of interesting, engaged people that make going in to work every day pleasant. I can't imagine a better situation for employment, frankly.

Cons

I haven't encountered any significant cons, to be honest

5. "Company Values Employees"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at InterSystems full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is the first company I have worked for where I truly feel valued. My manager at InterSystems provides me with appraisals that reflect my work behaviors and they've given me opportunity to expand my skill set. InterSystems also values work/life balance and has several opportunities for employees to enjoy perks with their families such as ski outings, Bruins games, Canobie Lake Park and the Holiday Pops.

Cons

The location on the Charles River is beautiful, but if you live in the suburbs the commute can be unpleasant.

6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Specialist

I have been working at InterSystems full-time

Pros

-Great work/life balance -Recognition for good work in terms of career advancement/compensation -Interesting work with great autonomy -Competitive benefits

Cons

Need to catch up with competitors in regards to trusting workers to work remotely (when the job allows) as a mid-sized technology company. It is a much more sustainable option in a number of ways.

"Good work environment, no career path as developer, outdated technology"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at InterSystems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work life balance is good Coworkers are nice

Cons

Many developers have left due to lack of career path; you got same paycheck/benefits as new hires after working here more than 5 years. Technology is kind of outdated

"Great Pay, Poor Management"

Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at InterSystems full-time for less than a year

Pros

- InterSystems paid extremely well and had great benefits - They started to do more fun events at work to retain employees. I was able to have good work life balance when I worked there.

Cons

-The office environment at InterSystems is extremely formal and cold. As a tech company, they should consider relaxing their dress code to foster a more relaxed environment. - For being in the HealthCare space, it felt more like a traditional IT company stuck in the 90's. A lot of my co-workers didn't have much knowledge about the healthcare field, and it didn't feel like patient care was at the heart of the company - My manager had a temper and was extremely hostile. This made for an uncomfortable environment for even high performing staff. I was uncomfortable delivering any feedback for fear of retaliation.

9. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at InterSystems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of new stuff and technologies to learn. Office located at a great location and the people are very knowledgeable

Cons

Cant think of any Cons so far.

"Great Technology, Great Culture, Great People!"

Current Employee - Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at InterSystems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- really sharp people who love helping people and love solving challenging problems - generous leave policy for employees - people tend to stay for a very long time; great place to build a career - international presence allows opportunities to connect with colleagues and customers around the world - really bright people

Cons

- hiring new people in as a manager can be very challenging and time consuming (there is a very high bar for prospective employees to clear)

Found 155 reviews