InterSystems Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 7, 2019

4.1
Terry Ragon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Management understands having a good work/life balance" (in 18 reviews)

• "It's really a great place to work" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "The dress code is a little crazy for a tech job" (in 9 reviews)

• "The worst department is what they call Edition , no one is allowed to say a clear opinion or raise a complain" (in 6 reviews)

"I am happy to be here"

Current Employee - Technical Support Advisor in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Advisor in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at InterSystems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company has been the best place that I have worked for for the following reasons. I am aware that some of these reasons relate more to my specific team and (support) department rather than the company, but I'd like to think (and believe) that these are happening company-wide:

- Growth. This is not just about growth in title/promotions, but growth in experience and skills. I constantly feel a friendly pressure to do my best. I have been given training, mentors, and time to excel in my role. This is the only company that I have worked in so far (out of roughly 10 companies) that promotes individuals' growth to a level that I feel special and capable on a regular basis. If you bring in the right attitude, this company has a lot to offer.

- Employee advocacy. I feel free to give my opinion, ask questions, and reach out to other resources of the company without worrying about their titles (as long as I have a good reason). I feel empowered in getting the job done. This is probably thanks to my manager and the management team (as well as my mentors and colleagues), who gave me confidence that these are necessary attributes to be successful as a company. I appreciate this a lot.

- Successful employee retention. I have many colleagues that I look up to as role models especially in regards to technical and communication skills (if I don't look up to someone, it is probably because I don't know her/him well enough yet ). I can easily think of a dozen people that I want to learn something from, and I know that I will learn from them in time if not today. I have been reminded regularly to reach out to my colleagues to collaborate more on resolving issues as this makes the department more successful and more fun. It is a blessing to work with professionals.

Cons

I am not sure if this is a con, but the expectations are high. There is always the attitude of how we can do better. This fits well with my personality and there is adequate support (culturally and training-wise) to accommodate this way of thinking. However, this can make individuals more stressed about making mistakes. I'd like to think that this is positive pressure most of the time, but there are times that mistakes makes me worried :)

Advice to Management

Bring more bagels & donuts to the team.

2. "It's not what it appears to be"

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Cambridge, MA

I worked at InterSystems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent pay and bonus structure, good benefits, beautiful offices in Cambridge, good work/life balance

Cons

Open office environment for everyone but managers, dress code (NOT casual), pressure to attend after work get togethers & parties, odd cult-like environment, absolutely no jeans (not even jean material)

Advice to Management

Hire people that know how to manage; ditch the open office environment; doctors don't usually make good engineers

3. "Great for a first job or first technical job but not for upward mobility"

Former Employee - Support Specialist in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Support Specialist in Cambridge, MA

I worked at InterSystems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are really hard working for the most part and everyone is willing to help you learn. Managers are direct and have your best interest in mind.

Cons

The structure of the company is intentionally flat. Initially this seems like a great thing as it makes people accessible but it does mean there is little room to advance. In support specifically there aren't many avenues to try other than swapping to a different department.

"Best Employer I've Had"

Current Employee - Specialist
    Current Employee - Specialist

I have been working at InterSystems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My work stays new and challenging with an overall manageable workload, and I am given the tools to succeed in my role.
    I actually do feel like management cares about my overall well being and career at ISC. It's refreshing after some of the places I've worked where it feels like you've been lost in the mix.
    ISC hits a nice balance of quality work, documentation, and strong colleagues - without becoming stuffy and controlling.

Cons

A clearer timeline on potential career paths/advancements would be helpful - this is becoming an important factor for overall retention

"Serious, Successful Company Will Bring Out Your Best"

I have been working at InterSystems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

InterSystems is difficult to get into - challenging testing and interviewing process - but well worth the effort. The high standards mean that you work alongside top notch people and the expectation is that you bring your "A" game every day. The culture - and the hiring model - emphasize filling the company with and rewarding problem solvers so you find yourself among people who are always driving towards outcomes and getting their work done. You spend WAY less time chit chatting in meetings - two people put their heads together and solve a problem on the fly vs. 8 people having multiple meetings over the next 6 weeks and getting nowhere. Refreshing. And while the days are demanding they tend to be 8-9 hours long - highly respectful of you having a life. Many companies talk about hiring the "best," but this is one of the few that actually does. Founder/CEO is highly respected and admired.

Cons

Not a "con" exactly but an advisory - If you're looking for open kegs Friday PM or free dinners look elsewhere. There's plenty of fun (ski trips, Revolution and Red Sox games, Duck Boat tours, etc.), but work hours are mostly spent working.

Advice to Management

Efforts to make the company younger - top notch campus technical hiring program, new roles that fit the changing products and strategy of the company, among other things - are working. What it feels like to work here is changing. Keep going!

"Innovative, supportive, and a best kept secret"

Current Employee - Director in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at InterSystems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This company is privately held, and as such will always put the customer first over short-term profits. Their growth is organic with no long term debt or outside investors. The product technology is superior to many of their larger competitors, which is why they are a best kept secret. It's also why they have had steady and continuous growth for 40 years. A form of profit sharing takes place as incentive comp. They take great care of their employees, making each year more enjoyable than the last.

Cons

A somewhat flat management structure can result in longer stays in your current position. Not necessarily a bad thing. Internal growth opportunities are still available however.

7. "Administration"

Former Employee - Administration in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Administration in Cambridge, MA

I worked at InterSystems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Quality and like-able employees are hired to the company. Lots of employee appreciation events over the summer and winter with company outings.

Cons

The company is privately held and all shares of the company are in possession of ownership (i.e. no board/committee to chime in their two cents or offer their perspective on where the business is at and going). This can be a real advantage because ownership can simply do what they feel is best or right for employees and the company as a whole, but this can and does pose an issue for the future of the company business and employee morale.

Advice to Management

Hire based solely off of qualifications and be more vigilant in not allowing any other factors to permeate the hiring process. Additionally some thought needs be put into why so much value is put into the Pre Employment Testing that screens out quality candidates. Many jobs within Intersystems don’t need to ever answer various style of logic questions that’s on the mandatory PET test and Intersystems misses out on super high quality candidates that way. Not an expert but candidates who hold Ph.D. degrees from MIT in Computer Science and other highly skilled fields sound more than qualified to work for Intersystems but get disqualified because they didn’t score 17+ out of 20 on the PET test.

"Great place to work"

I have been working at InterSystems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a stable, privately owned company that values its workers and their development. The culture is great and the people super sharp. It's really a great place to work.

Cons

The company is growing and changing recently and some people can be slow to comfortable with change. But these are all normal growing pains.

"Great place to work"

I have been working at InterSystems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone is encouraged to continue to learn and be curious about everything

Cons

Some procedures are outdated and need to be revisited

"Marketing Manager"

I have been working at InterSystems full-time

Pros

Lots of smart people, and opportunities to learn. Job descriptions and opportunities can be flexible, which gives you the opportunity to get involved in multiple areas. Great vacation policy based on longevity.

Cons

It would be nice if they offered onsite child care.