Interactive Brokers Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interactive Brokers Interview Questions

Interviews at Interactive Brokers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Interactive Brokers (New York, NY) in August 2020.

Interview

Both online and phone screening tech questions are from early 90's HTML 1.0. 90% of questions are old CSS. It looked like the interviewer had a script to read from, and he had no idea what was going on.

Interview Questions

• Describe differences between prototypal and classical inheritance. Which one is better?   1 Answer
    • You have a scroll event and inside you have a loop that iterates over a million. Is this a bottleneck? What would you do to increase performance.   1 Answer

Compliance Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Interactive Brokers.

Interview

The hiring manager explained in detail what the job entails and asked questions about my experience and how I think my law degree and legal experience from Europe transfers when it comes to the position in question.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwich, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Interactive Brokers (Greenwich, CT) in June 2020.

Interview

Phone screen asking basic questions. Mostly why you are interested, education, experience, etc. The person giving the phone screen seemed very disinterested in conducting these interviews, like it was a drag, not personable at all.

Interview Questions

• Explain a current event in the financial world.   1 Answer

Financial Advisor Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Interactive Brokers (Chicago, IL) in June 2020.

Interview

It was a straight-forward, 3 rounds, 3 different people role explained well. They did a lot of the talking. Other than that, just be honest and ask questions, very transparent people.

Client Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwich, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Interactive Brokers (Greenwich, CT) in April 2020.

Interview

I applied online got a call the same week. Spoke later to 4 gentleman who clearly were not interested in speaking. Very male driven place. The questions were basic but sometimes they would ask very personal information which clearly has nothing to do with the job. Red Flag there. Then they ask you to take this test which has nothing to do with the job. Not sure why the interview process is so outdated.

Back-end Applications Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Interactive Brokers in April 2020.

Interview

The in-house recruiter reached out to me via Vettery, and I ended up having a great conversation over the phone. He went over job details and told me about Interactive Brokers team and the company, we also talked about other industry related topics.

The next step was an online Codility test, and then I moved on to the next round. Since this was during the Covid-19 pandemic, the next round of the interview was coordinated through GoToMeeting. The interview was with two of the hiring managers. The first asked me a lot of in depth Java questions and few other technical questions. The 2nd manager was interested in my general industry knowledge and interests. He ask many technical questions, but not all related to software development. He was evaluating how much I paid attention to the developing technologies, how they are utilised in software development or applied in everyday life.

Overall I had a very positive experience and learned a few new things along the way. Just from the conversations alone I can see that there are many smart and talented engineers at IB.

Interview Questions

• Online Codility test with one Java and SQL task.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Interactive Brokers in March 2020.

Interview

As described by many others, the firm has a not very good interview process and seems like they don't value their candidates time. It seems to me everyone who applies gets a test and if you pass the test, the recruiter actually takes a look at your resume, rather than the other way around.

Interview Questions

• I had a bunch of multiple choice questions which were of average difficulty. Preparation materials: https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/c-plus-plus/.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Interactive Brokers in March 2020.

Interview

Math Online Test (think Algebra) + Online Coding Test (easy to medium level difficulty) + Online Personality Test (No idea why this is being used). Followed by a phone screen and then a virtual onsite

Interview Questions

• Obscure questions about Java and specific libraries. Interviewers were condescending and arrogant. This company is not language agnostic in their interview approach and ask extremely obscure java questions. They do not consider problem-solving and just want pure in depth textbook answers for java trivia questions (even if you don't code in Java and Java isn't on your resume). Very outdated and out of touch hiring process compared to modern companies. This explains their low glassdoor rating, the company culture is a mess, dodged a bullet.   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Interview

I was asked to answer a sheet of 8 fairly difficult math questions. Afterwards I talked to one of the employees for about 2 hours about more general subjects before being given lunch. After lunch I took an hour long technical interview with two other employees.

Interview Questions

• Can a stack of pennies of a certain height fit in a 3 cubic foot shoe box.   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Interview

Technical assessment, behavioral assessment where you're asked to pick what you think of yourself and what others expect of you, followed by a bunch of phone interviews. It took a long time for the entire process