Interactive Brokers Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interactive Brokers Interview Questions

Updated May 2, 2018

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Interactive Brokers.

Interview

I felt absolutely terrible interviewing with this company. I felt I have completely wasted my time by attending the interview. Most of them are arrogant and condescending and interviewers expected me to give text book answers .

Compliance Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Interactive Brokers.

Interview

applied online. It followed predictive index test. then got contacted by human resource. i was called in for in person interview and test. test consisted of questions about financial markets terms, probability and math. no calculators allowed

Interview Questions

• about work exp. financial markets knowledge, about money laundering. where you went over and above call of duty   1 Answer

Linux Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwich, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Interactive Brokers (Greenwich, CT) in March 2018.

Interview

Initial Phone Screen led to an online personality test and then a 45 min Linux Skills test.
    Second round was a 1 on 1 in-person interview and then a 60 min Linux Skills test.

Interview Questions

• They asked about Linux/RedHat based experience, any history in the Financial industry, and how comfortable would be in high pressure situations.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Interactive Brokers (New York, NY).

Interview

Absolute rubbish process of hiring, they have this non sense called Predictive Index where you got to select few words which describes you and what others think about you on which they Judge you.This guys don't bother checking your skills and experience .Please don't waste your time. It's not worth it .

Anonymous Employee in Greenwich, CT

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Interactive Brokers (Greenwich, CT) in December 2017.

Interview

First there was an online test, next was a personality questionnaire, and then there was a phone interview with hiring manager, and finally all day on-site interviews with team. The online test included Java questions and some math questions.

Interview Questions

• What was your greatest accomplishment?   1 Answer

Junior Web Developer/Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Interactive Brokers (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

Apply it online and get an invitation to complete the following:
    1. Answer Screening Questions online.
    2. Complete a Predictive Index Survey(available in many different languages, about 15 minutes) online.
    3. Take a technical test online(about 60 mins).

Interview Questions

• Basic Java knowledge, basic math problem, all multiple choice questions.   Answer Question

Technical Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwich, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Interactive Brokers (Greenwich, CT) in October 2017.

Interview

Interactive brokers never disclosed the salary range. So I did an interview without knowing what a salary may be. This is very unusual because the first thing HR may want to know from you is your salary expectations and whether or not it may fit. When asked about my salary expectations during the interview, I just told them - I am looking for market rate and that's it. Nobody has drilled down as it usually happens when talking to HR. That was rather a bad sign than good. I will explain later why.

Then arrived in the office I was met by department lead (Asian guy) and he offered me a tea, and then we went straight to the business. He gave me a bunch of tests, very basic I would say but very long. I've spent there like a whole day crunching all these logical tests.

After that, no feedback nothing, despite I did relatively good.
    Lesson learned - big companies like Interactive Brokers have hundreds if not thousands of applicants for open positions. Therefore the competition is very strong there.
    But, it probably does not worth your attention, because you are not going to get a salary better than the middle-sized or small company can offer you.
    I would never apply to big companies anymore.
    After putting dots together after some days, I've decided that I was not really considered seriously for this position. The department head probably had somebody in mind by that time, he just needed to follow the process and demonstrate a certain number of qualified candidates interviewed. He never talked to me during those 4 hours I've spent there solving all their tests. He just arrived in the end, took my papers and disappeared. Another sign of their intentions was missing salary information. That was the first time when HR did not tell me the possible salary.
    And no more interviews in the environment dominated by Asian or Indian specialists. They are tending to hire them alike.

Technical Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Interactive Brokers (Chicago, IL) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied in March, and didn’t hear anything for five months. I was invited to the Chicago office for an in-person interview. I met who would be my boss— nice guy. He described the role, and then left the room so I can complete THREE written tests. The tests took me about three hours. One was a Linux proficiency test (I answered maybe 5-10% of these questions since I don’t know Linux), one was a logic test with pretty standard brain teaser and pattern recognition questions, and one was a basic computing aptitude test. The computing test was difficult because of how fundamental it was. It asked broad questions such as “what happens when you type in a web address and press go?” I did ok on the computing test, nailed the logic test, and completely flunked the Linux test. After this, I was told I would meet with an EVP and the CIO.

A month went by with no word until one of the recruiters emailed me with the same template that she used to invite me to the first interview (telling me to allocate a few hours to take some written tests). After clarifying with her that this would be my second interview, we scheduled a Skype interview with someone who was in the same role (I assume) in Greenwich— not the CIO. This guy got right to it, skipping over introductions and ice breakers, immediately asking what I do and why I wanted to leave my current job. After discussing basic job functions and answering questions, the interview was over. It only lasted 20 minutes. I got an offer the next day, but I declined.

They offered me a sizeable salary on top of a 10-15% cash and 10-15% stock annual bonus and other perks. This position requires working nights, weekends and holidays, and they don’t offer work from home because it’s not possible in this position. Despite this, since it’s a salaried position, they don’t even give you double time for working these inconvenient times, just extra days off. I value money more than random days off. I think they offered so much because they’re trying to hire young, talented people in tech, and that they’re lagging behind in offering perks, like WFH, that so many comparable tech/fintech companies currently offer.

Also, the 401k contributions and stock bonuses take 6 years to fully vest.

Despite all this, everyone was super nice. IB seems like a great place to work, but I didn’t like the job.

Interview Questions

• General pattern recognition and algebra   Answer Question
    • Classic brain teasers. For example: you have three generators outside and three switches in a room inside, none of which are marked or arranged in any way. How do you determine which switch corresponds to which generator? You’re only allowed to go outside to check the generators once.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Interactive Brokers.

Interview

Online technical and non-technical tests. Numerous phone screens with recruiters and managers before two days of onsite interviews (interviewed for two separate positions). Wide battery of math, logic, and technical questions during onsite interviews.

Interview Questions

• Ways to check if an integer is a power of 2, variety of solutions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwich, CT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Interactive Brokers (Greenwich, CT) in July 2017.

Interview

Online technical test, 3 phone calls, one on-site interview. The overall experience was not bad but most of the guys there are Eastern Europe guys who want to resolve problems a certain way and if you don't have the same type of thinking you wouldn't be a fit...

Interview Questions

• math questions, java core and then some analytical problem solving more oriented to calculus and math than programming.   Answer Question