Kabam Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 13, 2018

2.9

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Kabam (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Initially applied and was brought in for an on-site interview concerning a different position.

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Kabam (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Process took 1 month. Talked to Hiring Manager then was asked to come for an onsite where I talked to 5 different people. They all asked the same questions, for the most part. They wanted to know what I felt I could bring to the game I was going to work on. They wanted to know what social media tools I enjoyed most and how I would utilize them for the product.

Interview Questions

• What is your process of how to handle a difficult player?   Answer Question

Associate Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Kabam (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Met with multiple members of the team to discuss the role of the job and how I could grow in the company. We covered the role of the Community Manager, the feature creation process here at Kabam LA, and how I can grown into my role as producer here at the company. I was asked multiple questions on what I thought of our current game, This Means WAR! and how I could potentially improve the player experience. I was asked what my game design experience was like at school and at other companies and described my strengths and weaknesses as an employee. I also provided examples of challenges that I overcame while working for Petroglyph, Gas Powered Games, and Instant Action.

Interview Questions

• - One significant challenge you overcame
      - How do you think other employees will perceive you at the office?
      - Give an example of a conflict with another employee and how you worked it out
      - Describe what production styles you are comfortable with
      - 5 Things you would change with This Means War
      - Give an example forum post that address an unpopular update that is making Kabam solid $$$
      - How would you try to implement a change with the game? (Who do you talk to, what tools will you use?)
      - Are you a producer or a project manager?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I applied for a video game production job straight out of college. Based on my resume, interviews, and Amir's (Studio Head) recommendation I believe Kabam gave my a competitive offer. I was very happy to accept and felt negotiating for more pay/benefits would have been inappropriate and unnecessary. I believe Kabam has the structure to offer me fair compensation as I grown in the company.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Kabam in August 2013.

Interview

My initial interaction was through a recruiter who helped set me up for several positions. I went through a phone screen and then was given a programming project.

After completion of the project, I was called in for an onsite. It lasted about 4 hours and consisted primarily of chatting about the company followed by standard algorithm questions. Culture is really important at this company and you'll want to get to know your interviewers. I received a verbal offer after the whole process, followed by a written offer several days later.

Interview Questions

• Signed an NDA so I can't help too much. Study your datastructures (trees, lists, etc) and make sure you get lots of sleep the night before!   1 Answer

Negotiation

Offer was above my expectations and required no negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Kabam (San Francisco, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

I met the Platform team in a career fair in SF. The HR mailed me shortly after the career fair and wanted to setup a phone interview. I had one phone interview before I was invited for a onsite which was a 4 round 2 person interview. The questions were very interesting and fun.

Interview Questions

• Open ended Scalable/Distributed systems questions were pretty challenging   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiation was not as good as i wanted to be. But I was already offered a good package and stock options and I took it.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Kabam in March 2013.

Interview

They were very thorough with communications leading up to the interview, and the interview itself had a very casual and relaxed atmosphere. They didn't try to stress test me or push me too hard, but rather tried to figure out who I was as a person and if I fit with the company.

Interview Questions

• Some technical questions I didn't have the qualifications to answer or remember.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Kabam (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

Submitted my profile at school career fair and recieved phone interview in 3 monthes.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Kabam (Redwood City, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

The process started with an external recruiter submission.

They followed up with a typical prescreen phone call done by the recruiter. I was then called into the actual interview which was where the excitement began.

First off, their office building is overstaffed and had literally no parking. Not even extra visitor parking. I'm in an afternoon interview so everyone is back from lunch and everyone is at the office, which means that I spend precious minutes trying to find a parking spot and eventually settle for an illegal spot.

The fact that no one thinks to mention the obvious parking problem is really a sign of what to expect on the interview.

The company is growing fast and expanding, they've just opened up these new meeting rooms where I will be interviewing. Of course, the meeting room has no whiteboard. I'm interviewing for an engineering position which basically always requires a whiteboard.

So at this point, the company has already demonstrated that they're disorganized.

And then they bring in the battery of interviewers. Again a little chaos reigns. We switch up the interviewing order and then I get a series of 1:1s where everybody asks the same questions and then follows up with their favorite programming question / brain teaser. So rather than one interview, I'm running the same 20 minute interview 5 times followed by 25 minutes of somebody's "pet programming question".

But the programming questions are kind of sketchy. There's one good "insight" question, a couple of basic recursion questions and one question that just completely fails.

I'm asked to write an algorithm to find all words on a 4x4 boggle game. "OK", I say, "there's no efficient way to do this without some serious pre-processing on a dictionary". "No", he says, "no pre-processing, just an algorithm to find words". OK, so the premise is really simple, you're basically building this tree of adjacent squares, it's a 10 line recursion with a couple of if statements.

But then he starts getting combative about the "big O" of the process. And I have to start explaining combinatorial math to explain the question that *he* brought in with him?

Interview Questions

• Parse a tree, solve this riddle involving two robots a simple instruction set and an infinite line.   Answer Question

They offered to bring me in for a second interview / offer session but I already had several better options available.

The big turnoff was honestly their generally poor organization and very scattered approach. They have a lot of developers and it really sounds like they have a crazy storm going on there.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Kabam (San Francisco, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

Began applying online, however eventually got referred in. Once referred I was put in for a phone interviews with basic programming problems. After that I came in for a on site interview for 1:1 and group questions. After this they had me talk to some teams, then called back to offer.

Interview Questions

• Asked to write out multiple mathematical problems and solve them through pseudo code.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Began offering an amount and could negotiate; since I was in a more junior position, I accepted amount however I would advise on bartering more if up get this far, it means they want you.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Kabam (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I was referred to Kabam by a friend. Kabam was very prompt to contact me, and began the interview process with 2 phone interviews spaced a day apart. The first phone interview was highly challenging as its purpose was to determine my technical skills, and was a bit on the stressful side. The second was to determine my personality fit with the company, and went much smoother, with plenty of laughs on both ends. After a quick code test sent to me the next day, Kabam was able to fly me to their studio within 2 weeks. Once there, I was drilled again on my technical expertise, requiring me to write code on a whiteboard, and was again the most stressful of the interviews. After this, I went through a few more rounds of interviews with different people over the course of a couple of hours. The people were quite friendly and disarming, and definitely seemed to be the kind of people I wanted to work with.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question I was asked was to describe 'friend functions'. Seeing as I was interviewing for a flash developer position, it was unexpected that I would be asked about other programming languages that would not be used in my day to day job responsibilities.   Answer Question