Kirby Corporation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Kirby Corporation Interview Questions

1.7

Tankerman Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Channelview, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Kirby Corporation (Channelview, TX).

Interview

the interview process was simple and casual. There is a test you must take before you interview and afterward if they like you, they will tell you to go take your Coast Guard physical. The physical is exhausting but required due to the nature of the job.

Interview Questions

• Do you mind being away from home 20 to 30 days a month with 10 to 15 days off afterward?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation as the pay is a set rate according to experience

Third Mate In Training Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Kirby Corporation (Houston, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview was great, and the lady who interviewed me was very nice. I was contacted and did an over the phone interview, since I was in Brazil at the time. I was asked general questions such as what position would you like in the company, where do you see your self going with with your career, and what attracts you about the company. The person who I spoke with was very knowledgeable about what she was doing, and was very good at answering my questions. Overall I had a great experience.

Interview Questions

• I was asked general questions such as what position would you like in the company, where do you see your self going with with your career, and what attracts you about the company.   1 Answer

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Kirby Corporation in April 2015.

Interview

Walk in interviews at a maritime job fair. These interviews were for all sectors inland and offshore of Kirby. I was interviewed by a woman who worked in Kirby's office in Hawaii. Very friendly, not a strenuous interview. Reviewed travel, health, and retirement benefits. She seemed very happy with the company.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Kirby?   1 Answer

Assembler Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kirby Corporation (Oklahoma City, OK) in June 2014.

Interview

Submitted an application and interview was the following week. It all went by really fast. The interview was easy and you could tell they weren't looking for any specific talent. Just another body to throw in the mix of things. It was mechanic style work and they were hiring kids from taco bell who never ever touched a tool in their lives.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was none

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Kirby Corporation (Houston, TX) in March 2013.

Interview

Give me an example of a time when you motivated others.
    Tell me about a time when you delegated a project effectively.
    Give me an example of a time when you used your fact-finding skills to solve a problem.
    Tell me about a time when you missed an obvious solution to a problem.
    Describe a time when you anticipated potential problems and developed preventive measures.

STANDARD QUESTIONS AS SO

Deckhand Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kirby Corporation (Houston, TX) in November 2010.

Interview

I submitted my application via their Website and was contacted within a week. Interview and screening process was pretty straightforward. There was an IQ test and basic core competencies test, as well as drug screening and physical.

Interview Questions

• No curve balls in this interview. Its basically just "tell me about yourself," and "why should I hire you?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation at this level, they offer a base pay rate to everyone they bring in as a deckhand.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Kirby Corporation in April 2008.

Interview

Very casual, one on one., cordial, process took a couple of months, the company seemed slow but after working there you realize everything the company does is in slow motion. Recruiter provided initial interviews and back ground check. Company interviews were casual with hiring manager, peer employee, and executive management

Interview Questions

• Why would you want to work here?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Company does not negotiate. Hiring methods are several decades old. Almost nothing is negotiable. The company is rooted in the oil industry and gears all policies toward blue collar employment. The interview process felt very operational and non technical. Management seemed very polite and attractive to work for.

Advice- Sell yourself and your value in initial interviews. Create a perspective in the mind of management that they need you and your assets will drive revenue and production for the company.