Kuali Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Kuali

2.9

Sort:

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Kuali.

Interview

The interview process at Kuali was a very bizarre one to me. I applied online and heard back relatively quickly with a coding challenge to do. They specified the challenge should be done within 2 hours of opening it and that I should send them a link to it when it was done. I replied asking if I could wait to do the challenge until the weekend because I had a lot going on but never heard back. I ended up doing the challenge over the weekend and sent it out and heard back awhile later from someone else that they want to continue. I had a variety of interviews which included a cultural fit and some “paired programming” sections. The technical interviews were a bit weird as the title of pair programming makes you think it’s actually working with someone else. In actuality, it’s someone asking you questions and watching you code and not really providing any feedback or adding anything. The cultural interviews were a group hangout where people asked you cultural questions and just general questions about yourself. They seemed friendly but it was also somewhat chaotic and felt a little disorganized.

Throughout the process I had to continuously ping the recruiters to set up times and provide links because things just weren’t happening (like I’d have an interview scheduled and no link to where it would take place numerous times). At the end of it all, after spending so much time over the course of a few weeks talking with them, I got rejected via a super simple email that provided no details or anything of use that I could take to grow for the future. This was a bummer to me and is a practice too many companies have that’s just not a great experience.

With all of that being said, I don’t feel like this is a bad company and I’m not bitter by the interactions or anything. I think it could have been done better but it also could be a lot worse.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kuali.

Interview

Phone screen , programming design assignment, technical interview, phone screen was pretty generic, backround experience, technology you work with, programming assignment was more about design than it was writing code.

Interview Questions

• Back round, experience, etc   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Kuali in February 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by someone on Kuali Financials team to see if I was interested in a Software Engineering position. Had initial phone screen with one of the developers on the team. They asked basic questions about programming languages and tools used. Following the phone screen, there is a programming assignment to complete at home. The assignment is timed and it is more of a design rather than coding question. After a programming assignment, I was interviewed by seven people from the actual team via google hangout. The questions were not very difficult, mostly about the assignment, tools used, programming languages etc. I found it odd that this was labeled as "cultural fit" interview. Some people dropped off the google hangout in the middle of the interview, guess I didn't "click" with the team. My impression is they are looking for a specific personality type to fit their team and not just work related skills. They are a small company, so overall the process is not as well organized as in a larger organization.

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kuali (Lehi, UT) in March 2017.

Interview

Phone interview, skills test, online video interview with out of state manager, and an in person interview. The interview process was similar to other companies I have interviewed at except it was my first time with on online video interview.

Interview Questions

• I can't remember the specific questions at the moment, however it was clear that they were evaluating skill set, interest, and how you would fit into the company culture (Which is great! I am glad they care about maintaining a wonderful company culture.)   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kuali (Lehi, UT) in April 2018.

Interview

I found the job listing on Glassdoor where I followed the links to apply online. After applying online I heard back pretty quickly to set up a phone interview. After the phone interview, I was given a challenge worksheet to test my analytical and problem-solving skills. They said it would take 2-3 hours, which it did. A day or two after turning in my worksheet, my in-person interview was with the hiring manager, her manager, and the HR recruiter (all people I would be working with). The interview was simple and went for about an hour.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a project that you worked on in the past where you had to handle a lot of data.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a project where you had to solve a problem and provide a resolution.   Answer Question

Marketing Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kuali (Lehi, UT) in March 2016.

Interview

While the job interview process wasn't flawless (they sent the offer letter to the wrong email and I was waiting for a few days before they reached back out to me) it was still a good one. Because several of the people I needed to interview with were remote employees I jumped on a few Google Hangouts with individual interviewers. That process went well, and it was obvious that the people I was going to be working with, if hired, were very kind and humble people. I then went for an in person interview and had the opportunity to meet with the CEO, Joel Dehlin. That interview went well, though he really grilled me on a story problem. It made me recognize that the company really values getting the right people on the bus.

Interview Questions

• The big scary question that Joel Dehlin grilled me on, for about fifteen minutes, was a story problem that went something like this:
      You are a librarian and Donald Trump calls to see if you have a book. You check the computer and it says you do have that book in stock. You tell DT as much. Then you go look for the book on the shelf and it isn't there. What do you do? I told him what I'd do, and then he drilled me on it - asking question after question.   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Interview

Appallingly unprofessional. I had an "interest" interview in which the current PM told me about the position to make sure it was something that interested me. After answering my questions, I decided that it was something I wanted to pursue. I was told the next step in the process was a meeting with the CEO and to expect a phone call from his assistant the next week. A week and a half passes, nothing. So, like any good candidate, I followed up, asked about when I should be hearing back about that. No response. Waited another week and sent a final follow up in which I reiterated my interest and qualifications. No response. In a last ditch effort, I reached out to the CEO directly - maybe the person who interviewed me left the company? So I explained that I was told I'd need to meet with him regarding my progression in their process and asked him what his schedule was like. No response. Finally, and this is an unfortunate way to find out your status in an application process, I connected with a recruiter from a professional recruiting/staffing agency. She had a position for which she was recruiting, I expressed interest, sent in my resume. A day later, I heard back from her that apparently someone had already filled the position before she posted it (recruiter-speak for "I never had a position to begin with"). Turns out, that position, the one for which she was recruiting, was the one for which I had originally applied and for which I was receiving no updates. So there you go, this is the way this company operates. Even the CEO hides behind his computer screen, incapable of having a frank conversation with a potential candidate he was supposed to meet with. Update 02/19/16: Heard from HR 3 months later that they filled the role, or "thought" they did, and then decided to close it. Again, extremely unprofessional.

Core Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kuali.

Interview

I applied online and received a response from a recruiter asking to set up a call. When the scheduled meeting time came around, a few minutes after the time the recruiter was supposed to call me she emailed me cancelling the call and saying she needed to reschedule for later that week. I sent additional availability but she never replied to reschedule and she ignored a follow up email I sent.

I can understand if the position was filled or if for some reason they changed their minds about interviewing me after already scheduling a first interview, but the no-show interview and lack of response just felt pretty unprofessional and also wasted my time. It left me with a really bad impression of the company overall.

Sales Operations Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kuali (Lehi, UT) in February 2017.

Interview

Everyone I met with at Kuali asked good questions that facilitated discussion, instead of just drilling me. The company is primarily concerned with finding people who fit with their values, so I was asked mostly behavioral questions. I had a phone interview followed by some timed homework, then a series of final interviews.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had too much to do and too many people asking for help. How did you prioritize?   Answer Question

Software Engineer (Kuali Financial) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kuali.

Interview

Contacted Kuali Financials via Indeed. I had an initial phone screen with one of the developers who was very nice, honest, and helpful.

I was given a coding challenge with a two hour time limit, but it was honor-system. The coding challenge was a system design problem. They got back to me after a week with a rejection.