LanguageLine Solutions Interview Questions | Glassdoor

LanguageLine Solutions Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2017

2.5

Russian Interpreter Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at LanguageLine Solutions.

Interview

Interview was in the target language, the recruiter was a native speaker. Very arrogant and snobbish approach. No "how" or "how are you?", straight to business about them hiring employees not contractors with no benefits, no vacation and $7/hour pay. Seriously? At that point she lost me. The pay structure is cumbersome to make you believe that you will actually make more (calls over 20 min are paid at base $7/hour plus $13 premium (proportionate to the length of the call). If you happen to wait for another call for an hour, that hour will be paid at $7. She said they only hire highly skilled professional interpreters... For $7? You can find those? No professional growth, nada, zip, zero (recruiter scoffed at me when I asked that). 15 min into the interview, I was drilled and grilled on interpretation skills. The recruiter was giving me sentences in English (with rather heavy accent - go figure), I was supposed to translate consecutively. After 4 sentences and her constantly picking at my Russian (hello, I was born there), I quit and said I had no more interest. Hostile environment. Very unfriendly. I got an impression of this being a language sweatshop. Can't image how somebody can do this day to day in this condescending atmosphere!

Interview Questions

• Nothing about experience, or education, or the typical behavioral questions. Only interpretation drills and testing.   Answer Question

Interpreter Interview

Anonymous Employee in El Paso, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at LanguageLine Solutions (El Paso, TX).

Interview

The entrance process is lengthy, there is a phone interview then a test on the PC then an in person interview then you have to wait for a schedule to open

Enterpreter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fife, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at LanguageLine Solutions (Fife, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

Easy interview over the phone, interviewed twice got hired and ready for training but I didn't have my social security yet and work permit so have to wait to get them before im qualified to thejob.

Interview Questions

• How do u handle complaints in your previous job?   1 Answer

Over the Phone Interpreter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at LanguageLine Solutions (Walnut Creek, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Over the phone conversation
    Submitting my resume, which has my back ground check & clearance category II
    With the completed application with the required documents ; I got the job!

Over the Phone Interpreter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at LanguageLine Solutions (Dallas, TX).

Interview

The recruiter calls and asks simple , predictable questions. Once passed, a senior person will conduct a mock interview. Its easy, you need need to be attentive and write the details down. Once passed, you will get an offer letter, conditional upon background check and drug test.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

NO Negotiation. Take it or leave it.

Mandarin Customer Service Interpreter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at LanguageLine Solutions (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

There were an online or phone interview for the first time.I called a number then it gave few questions .there were 2 questions needed to translate into both mandarin or English.
    After this time you would schedule to another phone meeting by an email.there was a PDF about how to be a interpreter ,I highly suggest to read it and do those exercise inside the PDF.in the interview they will ask you question about it and your basic information.

Medical Interpreter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at LanguageLine Solutions (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

It's difficult to get a hold off them unless they really need an interpreter in your language and when you do get the interview, their approach is "take it or leave it, you are dispensable" approach.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how long you have been working as a professional interpreter.   1 Answer

Negotiation

no non-negotiable and they start you off very low end. They charge their clients over $4/minute and they give their interpreters only 0.25c/min. so if you work 30 minutes, it pays for your whole 8 hours of work, so 7.5 hours you work after that all goes to them, which can range from $668- $1687.

Russian Interpreter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at LanguageLine Solutions (Oakland, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Worst interviewer ever.

Applied online, then had to do a recorded over-the-phone interview, which consisted of answering a few questions then interpreting two sentences from Russian into English, and two sentences from English into Russian. In about a week I was scheduled for another over-the-phone interview, this time with a recruiter. I've never had such an unprofessional interview in my life. Despite a brief email exchange exclusively in English, the second interview was 100% in Russian. This in itself wasn't a problem, but letting me know ahead of time would have been nice.

The recruiter never introduced herself, didn't waste any time with chit-chat or rapport, just launched into an explanation of the pay structure, which is variable based on the length of calls. She spoke as quickly as possible, presumably to make it harder to understand, and demanded to know if the pay would work for me without giving me a moment to think about what she had said. She then stated that the position was for a medical interpreter and fired off a list of the hours they would need the interpreter to work, again demanding to know if that schedule would work for me without giving a second for thought.

The job posting didn't mention medical-specific interpretation, so I was surprised and honestly unprepared. When I told her that I didn't realize they were only looking for medical interpreters, she insisted it was on the website and I should have known. The rest of the interview was interpreting sentences from English into Russian. To her credit, the recruiter read these sentences slowly and clearly, giving me every opportunity to interpret them to the best of my ability.

I interpreted the sentences poorly, so was not surprised there was no offer at the end of the interview. The surprising part was the recruiter's attitude throughout. It seemed like she didn't want to hire me from the very beginning, as if she didn't think an American could possibly speak Russian well enough to interpret, and was trying to make the interview as uncomfortable and difficult as possible. Had the first part of the interview been conducted at the same pace with no conversation but in English, it still would have been very difficult and awkward, so the fact that it was all in Russian wasn't the issue.

If she didn't want to hire me in the first place, why waste everyone's time with a poorly done, rude interview? She could have just emailed me and said "Thanks, but we're going with another candidate".

Interpreter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Monterey, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at LanguageLine Solutions (Monterey, CA).

Interview

The interview process was quite easy and not stressful at all. There were several parts in the hiring process: initial phone interview, two phone practices, test and online/phone training after the hiring part is complete.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monterey, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at LanguageLine Solutions (Monterey, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Nice phone interview with HR, initial intro and discussion. Told the next step would be with hiring management. Told within a week. Never heard from the hiring management or HR. Very unprofessional and disappointing.