MITRE Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MITRE Engineering Interview Questions

9 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MITRE.

Interview

Had a phone interview with a hiring manager followed by an on site interview. On site interview was 8 hours long and had to give a 30 minute technical presentation to a group. There were a series of 8 2 on 1 interviews and 3 of them were technical. Interview is not very difficult but very long.

This seems like a great company to work for if you are freshly out of school but not so much down the road. Went to lunch with a couple of the younger engineers and they let it slip many others use the company as a way to get into the industry. Beware if you are looking for long term. The company also doesn't focus on doing practical research, rather focuses on consulting for the government. If you are looking for hands on research, this is not the place. It is also not a place where you will have proper guidance.

Interview Questions

• Mostly straightforward going over the resume . One of the panel interviewers asked several "gotcha" questions on material they were an "expert" on but not related to the job.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for MITRE

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MITRE in September 2016.

Interview

Was contacted directly by the Hiring Manager and we agreed on a phone interview time for him to call me. The email exchange was efficient and friendly.

However, the time came for the interview and he did not call. I emailed twice - once the slotted interview time was nearly over and again the next day - politely stating the time had passed and I would love the chance to reschedule. He never answered. The rudeness affiliated with simply not following through on an email or at least replying saying why quite honestly has me floored.

I do hope nothing happened to him, and if I do find out that is the case I will edit this post right away. But as for now... a terrible experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bedford, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MITRE (Bedford, MA) in July 2016.

Interview

Very professional phone interview by management followed by a very long full day on site interview. Had to give a 45 minute presentation which took quite a while to prepare. The team was very enthusiastic about the presentation, asking plenty of questions which made that part of the day fly by. Then between 6 and 8 one on one interviews with the engineers in the group. It was clear who had industry experience and who didn't at this point. Unfortunately the people who introduced themselves as senior engineers asked the most ridiculous questions, prodding to get proprietary information. I even ended up having to politely refuse to answer one question. I think he was offended, so that was purposely followed by a string of ridiculous trick questions (not only trick, but not related to my current job) which I found completely unprofessional. It also came up later in another one on one about my performance in that previous one-on-one. That's when I knew I wasn't going to get an offer, and again, very unprofessional.

I didn't get an offer but I'm glad I didn't because I probably would have accepted at the time. Many of the negative experiences I've read on this site were a mirror image of my own. Same advice as everyone else, if you're fresh out of college it really did look like the place to be. Otherwise, if you have industry experience and unless someone is referring you, I wouldn't waste your time.

Interview Questions

• A group of in-flight airplanes are running an OSPF network. One plane overtakes another plane. How does the network reconverge?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MITRE (Huntsville, AL) in January 2011.

Interview

The interview consist of an initial phone screening and an in person interview. The phone screening seemed to only serve the purpose of putting a voice to the resume and figuring out if I was still interested in the job since applying. They breifly mentioned what the job function consist of and whether I was interested. A few weeks later they flew me out for an interview. I met with 5 people total, two manager types, engineers and HR. With the exception to the HR interview, all the interviews were mostly them telling me what I would be doing if I were to get the job. I was asked very few questions. However, the questions that were asked had to do with my prior work experience. The event concluded with me giving a 30 minute presentation on a technical topic as required. Overall the experience was ok. I could tell they were not very interested even from the phone interview. The enthusiasm just wasn't there. Very surprised they even flew me out. But it was a good opportunity to learn about a company that has a very unique niche in the defense industry.

Anonymous Employee in Annapolis Junction, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MITRE (Annapolis Junction, MD) in February 2010.

Interview

Standard College Recruiting hiring process

Interview Questions

• Are you interested in cyber security?   1 Answer
    • share an experience in a project where you had to interact with other team members.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MITRE (McLean, VA) in December 2009.

Interview

HR folks seemed friendly enough, but several interviewers were late and clearly unprepared (or otherwise demonstrated that they just didn't care) for interviewing me. To top it all off, HR left me waiting for over four weeks after the interview. I ended up having to call them only to find out that they didn't want to "move forward." Not terribly impressed in hindsight.

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at MITRE in March 2011.

Interview

Got a job referral through an Alumni association. He called a former boss as a reference then passed me onto the hiring manager, who gave me an initial phone interview. We worked out a date for in-person interviews. For this job I did have to do a 20 minute presentation, then a series of 6 -7 1:1 interviews. Having to do a presentation helped a lot, it gave those that attended something to talk about instead of the cold call that some interviews can feel like.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MITRE in December 2009.

Interview

The interview day involved meeting different engineers from different departments. People were very friendly, and eager to talk about their work within the company.

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at MITRE in December 2009.

Interview

My first interview with them was for an internship position. I was asked about what I was studying in college, and what courses I had taken related to my major in college. I was asked if I have any programming experience, and then I was told which programming languages they use at work. Some other questions related to my work ethic were asked as well.

Interview Questions

• What programming languages do you know and how fluent are you in those languages?   Answer Question
    • I was given a certain problem and asked about my approach to solve it.   Answer Question