MITRE Reviews

3.2
MITRE President & CEO Jason Providakes
Jason Providakes
Pros
Cons
  • "Our organizational structure is not conducive to the way we aim to support our sponsors(in 64 reviews)

• "Upper management has lost touch with Operations personnel(in 32 reviews)

1. Featured Review
    COVID-19

"Extremely proud"

4.0

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Full disclosure, I have been fairly critical of some of the decisions made by management in recent times. However, in the face of the current COVID-19 situation, I couldn’t be happier with how this entire company is responding. Executive leadership has been all over this even before it became a big deal in the US. They have demonstrated that their top priority is the safety and well-being of the employees. They have been encouraging remote work from the start and have been able to get some of the middle management who have been critical of telework on board with it. Their messaging has embodied the principals of emergency management by providing consistent and clear communications, which has not always been their strength. ECIS has really shined so far, especially with the steep increase in connections from outside the facilities. Several thousand employees were able to begin telework with only minor issues. Along with encouraging remote work, the company has offered a corporate iPhone to every employee working 20 or more hours per week. That’s several thousand mobile phones purchased in a week! Last but certainly not least, the entire MITRE workforce has shown a great deal of empathy and support for each other. People are being very cooperative with schedule changes, shift work, and picking up the slack when needed. They are also being very respectful and responsible when it comes to maintaining social distancing practices. I really feel a “we’re in this together” vibe among the staff right now.

Cons

Employees who perform largely classified work are having the hardest time with this sudden adjustment and in some cases still need to report to the facility. However, I have also seen risk mitigation by encouraging shifts and alternating days with this type of work.

MITRE Response

May 21, 2020Talent Strategy and Integration Project Manager

Thank you for sharing your thoughtful feedback. We are committed to providing resources to ensure all of us are prepared and protected. Our team have quickly adapted and delivered new innovations. This has enabled all of us to adjust to a new way of working and collaborating. We’re proud of what we have collectively accomplished —and continuing the important work we are doing on behalf of the public interest.

2. "Great During COVID"

5.0
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

President has been great handling the crisis and taking care of employees.

Cons

Recent changes to the organization has left staff feeling uneasy.

3. COVID-19

"Great company, but with unsettling recent changes"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Collaborative and smart colleagues, learning culture, opportunities to grow capabilities, mission-oriented focus, non-profit

Cons

Leadership under current CEO has been a continual revolving door, with recent lay-offs and a reorganization that is ill-timed during the COVID crisis and apparent financial health. The only people who are promoted know how to manage upward, and are not based on merit.

4. "Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work life balance, high job stability

Cons

Not the most competitive starting salaries

5. COVID-19

"Good COVID-19 response, dreadful change management"

Current Employee - Department Head in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Smart people, mission focus, work-life balance

Cons

C-suite leadership doesn't seem particularly thoughtful about the way they are instituting changes

"Satisfied"

Current Employee - Lead Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Impactful work; beautiful on-site accommodations; flexible schedules; great benefits

Cons

Uninspired leadership; organizational churn; unclear career paths and growth opportunities

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Director

I worked at MITRE full-time

Pros

Sense of purpose. Great benefits. Great people and culture. If I didn't believe that were true I wouldn't be so bummed about being laid off.

Cons

Being in a regulated industry can be frustrating when you just want to get stuff done.

8. COVID-19

"Poor CEO Leadership and Too Many Changes"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

MITRE offers a tremendous amount of autonomy and flexibility to employees. Most staff have the ability to traverse projects across MITRE's many FFRDC's. This allows staff to follow growth opportunities and get away from stagnant or less-impactful projects. On the personal side, MITRE's flextime benefit is amazing and allows you to make your own workday outside of obligations that have to be met (meetings and deliverable deadlines). Benefits are excellent and pay is good, although benefits have been slowly lessened in the past several years (health insurance cuts, paid time off flexibility, etc..) COVID response and ability of company to telework are impressive. Financials are incredibly strong. If you are in agreement with leadership's politics and don't mind treading the waters of bureaucracy to make a decent living, I would recommend MITRE to others.

Cons

MITRE culture has been rapidly deteriorating with the endorsement of certain political and social viewpoints/values (but not others). Likewise, C suite level leadership is a revolving door and the CEO has done a very poor job of implementing change, communicating vision, and keeping MITRE a non-partisan, apolitical place to perform impactful work for the US Government. Our campuses (headquarters) are top notch. Some sites are not. If you are applying for a position outside of Bedford or Mclean make sure you visit in person before accepting the position. MITRE is still top-heavy with a bunch of level 5 and 6 leadership that doesn't do much of anything. Technical career advancement can be tough, and most level 4's ad 5's (mid level employees) are non-technical to the point that it becomes burdensome to Level 1, 2, and 3 staff who actually have current engineering competency. Our organizational structure is not conducive to the way we aim to support our sponsors. This may change with the current re-organization, but I doubt it with Jason Providakes in charge.

MITRE Response

July 7, 2020

At MITRE, we are proud of our mission and our employees who deliver impactful work in service of the public interest. Offering growth opportunities, flexibility and excellent benefits are part of our commitment to providing our employees with experiences to grow, thrive and prosper. Our innovative approach, technical know-how and objective insight are exemplified in our collective response as an organization to COVID-19, and also in the work that we do every day. With the support of our Board of Trustees, we recently announced changes resulting in a more seamless organization that enables greater agility, speed, and boldness while driving excellence through collaboration and innovation. These decisions are never taken lightly; they are deliberate, thought-through, and grounded in our corporate strategy. We continue to be a non-partisan organization that operates in the public interest by being innovative on multiple levels to deliver solutions to our sponsors and partners to make our world a safer place. As pioneers for a better future, we are proud to provide an environment where all of us can safely and openly discuss the current events we face in our communities and work to solve—in partnership with others—some of the biggest challenges facing our society today.

"Good company if you are only interested in personal life"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time

Pros

Quality of Life is Job 1, Lack of good management means you are free to do what you want. If this is for you then this is your company. Retired while working is the motto.

Cons

They don't do any earth shattering work. Only get the simple problems -- though they advertise otherwise. It's a good ole boy shop so if you are not in the group, you don't go anywhere. They are always in a reorg. The past three CEO s have been untrained and unprepared for the job -- most of the VPs and SVPs are in the same boat. But they are in the gang. They don't follow their own rules. Lots of lip service but no action.

10. COVID-19

"In The Middle of Transformation"

Current Employee - Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Much intellectually interesting work, valuable work overall. Brilliant through Covid-19, never "missed a beat".

Cons

Emerging policial orientation. Entering next phase of corporate and inner cultural transformation.

Found 1009 reviews