MITRE Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
MITRE President and CEO Alfred Grasso
Alfred Grasso

Pros
Cons
  • Most managers don't offer work from home or telecommuting even though they brag about work life balance (in 19 reviews)

• The of lower management to impress upper management on the work of the umderlings was unreal (in 21 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Company of thinkers and doers that listens and deliberately tries to change"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very smart and motivated people, everyone is very "achievement focused" (goes above and beyond to honor promises), and a strong push to maximize work-life balance. Strong sense most of the time that what you do matters, and that you are making people's lives better as a result. Much of the work is hard, but I feel like I'm both doing *good* and treated well. For example, the first post on this page (requesting management do a quality survey) is now a standard practice and they started with CCG as the commenter recommended. It might take some time, but it seems all good ideas are listened to. I feel like I'm very well listened to, as long as I communicate clearly and frequently.

Cons

This place is a strong mix of government, academia, management, and consulting. It seems that people who don't communicate what they want feel left out. Some employees act like typical contractors waiting to be told what to do, and they seem to have the worst experiences. Those who communicate clearly with their managers and take some risks seem to rise quickly and are trusted within the organization. Lately there have been many more "business" people hired that have less of a technical background - and they seem to have trouble integrating with the deep technical roots of the company.

Advice to Management

Refocus on the technical core - and communicate clearly to new business-minded employees that lower quality work will not be accepted. Everyone has a duty to use the most technically appropriate solutions for their work, and we need more attention to incentivize people to use that technical mastery.

MITRE Response

Oct 3, 2016 – Comms Representative

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time and making the effort to communicate your thoughts with us.

"An excellent place for public sector work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My favorite things about MITRE include: work-life balance (6 weeks of vacation/holidays starting, teleworking-friendly environment), emphasis on learning and professional development, ability to move around and pursue your personal passions, and a truly collaborative professional environment. Job security is great.

Cons

Project work is almost exclusively secured by word-of-mouth, and as much as management tries to prevent this, departments tend to be pretty siloed; you have to work hard at building an internal professional network to find project work that you want to do. Public sector work involves a lot of red tape, which is frustrating. Unless you're working an internal research project, you oftentimes don't get a chance to work with bleeding-edge technologies. Since MITRE is a not-for-profit that operates FFRDCs, they don't build products, only prototypes and reference architectures; it can be disheartening to know that a lot of the work you accomplish doesn't get fully utilized in the real world. While much of the management strives for the company to be agile, the reality is that MITRE is a fairly large company and moves pretty slowly. Unless you work at one of the main campuses, MITRE doesn't tend to provide very good equipment to use. Many of the layers of management (especially in the internal departments such as IT) are very opaque and out-of-touch with the revenue-generating departments.

Advice to Management

You're currently making some much-needed changes to the internal research program, but they don't go far enough. If you want to generate truly successful research projects, you need to take an agile approach and treat them as value streams, not very limited/gated projects with hard-and-fast periods of performance. Building in support for technology transition *after* the project ends, with more dedicated personnel to assist with sponsor outreach, will go a long way in seeing these projects transition successfully and translate to a bigger impact.

"Good place to work, great benefits, career advancements limited"

I worked at MITRE full-time

Pros

Good place to work, great benefits. Highly educated work force

Cons

Govt. work has many ups and downs. Sponsor work often gets repetitive and boring. MITRE does do research work but being a non profit the research $$s are very limited and tough competition

Advice to Management

They need to support diverse work force. Company's diversity does not reflect the society. Talent management is a skill that needs to be developed.

5. "Administrative Assistant Jobs"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Bedford, MA

I worked at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Non-profit company. Very good benefits. Fairly flexible work schedule. Good pay.

Cons

Large corporation where sometimes you feel like you're just a number and a statistic that looks good on paper. Sometimes felt Admin. staff were treated as second class.

Advice to Management

I would advise management to be more open to suggestions from Admin staff who often try to make things run more effectively and efficiently. Engineers are great at Engineering. Not always great at managing Administrative Assistants.

6. "Great Company to work at"

Former Employee - Intern in Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Bedford, MA

I worked at MITRE (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, I liked the MITRE culture, it seemed very supportive and conducive. I felt as though I was part of my team.

Cons

Commute is almost never good regardless of where you live

7. "engineer"

I worked at MITRE full-time

Pros

people, challenge, gym, benefits, pay

Cons

none really unless you don't like DOD

8. "Collaborative engineering environment"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Public mission, excellent opportunities for prototyping to solve sponsor challenges, work life balance, collaborative environment, great colleagues

Cons

Can be conservative and under constraints of government programs

Advice to Management

Keep to grow focus on speed and innovation, hire more industry talent versus former government and DoD base

9. "Office Admin Specialist"

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

flexible schedule and good benefits

Cons

i don't have any to report

10. "Part-Time Work"

I have been working at MITRE part-time

Pros

Vacation time and flexible scheduling

Cons

Hard to connect work to an overall goal

"Have Not Enjoyed My Time Here"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Looks good on your resume to have worked here.

Cons

You have to whine a lot for leadership to (1) even understand what you're capable and (2) invest in your success. Highly bureaucratic. Many nested acronyms.