MITRE Reviews | Glassdoor

MITRE President & CEO Jason Providakes
Jason Providakes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The pay is rumored to be lower than other companies, but the environment is less cut-threat and you have a better work-life balance at MITRE (in 18 reviews)

• I found the company to be quite top heavy with "management" with generally too much emphasis on documentation (in 20 reviews)

1. "Compensation and benefits provided by MITRE Corporation"

Current Employee - Project Leader in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Project Leader in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Their pay is competitive and their benefits and employment stability are above their industry average. Their non-profit support to many critical government missions provides significant job satisfaction.

Cons

In an effort to stay most competitive "price-wise" with other contractors, there has been some belt-tightening in the last few years that have begun bringing their overall compensation back toward the pack, but still have a ways to go before they'd be "apples to apples" with them

2. "Good Internship"

Former Employee - Software Engineer(Internship) in Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer(Internship) in Bedford, MA

I worked at MITRE (Less than a year)

Pros

Great workplace culture, flexible work hours, great benefits, feels like your work is impactful.

Cons

Hard to get into the development environment, lots of hoops to jump through.

"A Fading Institution"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance: MITRE allows very flexible work schedules, with an 80-hour pay period. If you need time off, it can be made up within the 2-week period. Vacation time can be taken in increments of an hour or more.

Benefits: generous 401k contribution (up to 10%), tuition reimbursement, student loan repayment, parental leave.

Valuable work: if you are on a good project, your work can directly benefit the country in a way that gives real job satisfaction.

Cons

Lack of focus on quality: other people have mentioned this, but there is a real problem with quality at MITRE. Projects spin up, execute, and spin down in a period of months, and they are therefore built on extremely rickety foundations. This is dangerous, because the glue and baling wire holding things together aren't always visible from the outside, and engineers who have spent their entire careers at MITRE start to lose the ability to recognize quality issues at all.

Haphazard recognition and advancement : the people who make promotion and salary decisions are not the same people who see the work you do every day. Your advancement is often based off how glamorous or polically significant your work is, and not the actual quality of your work product.

Advice to Management

MITRE used to be recognized for the quality of its people and the work it produced. In our attempts to broaden the base of our sponsors, we are too often sacrificing bits of that reputation to get the contract.

We cannot just be a body shop. Find the people who care about excellence. Nurture them. Give them a platform. When a sponsor wants the impossible, don't do it halfway: tell them no.

And critically, focus more recruitment on mid-career people rather than early career. MITRE's skills are becoming inbred from too many people without exposure to the world outside.

4. "MITRE"

I have been working at MITRE full-time

Pros

Get to work on high impact projects in the public interest at a non-profit organization

Cons

Difficult to get promoted once you reach a certain level

"Manager"

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great support to the Government Sponsor requirements

Cons

Extremely poor job advancement opportunities. No regard for any previous experience other than that within MITRE. Poor utilization of skilled labor.

Advice to Management

Recognize inherent experience to properly place employees to maximize their productivity to the Company/Sponsor.

"Life at MITRE"

I have been working at MITRE full-time

Pros

Good Pay and Benefits
    Many project oppotunities

Cons

No mobility upwards
    No funding for training
    Do not support Team Work, you are on your own
    Poor Project Managers
    You have to find your own projects to join
    Most projects are short term 3-6 months
    Management has overall tunnel vision
    Lack of management support

7. "Many Good Things... A Few Not So"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

MITRE offers great, challenging work in a collaborative environment with collegial colleagues. The company values work-life balance (mostly) and treats its employees as adults.

Cons

A few of the SVPs are unpredictable, coming up with new ideas every few months and pushing them down without considering the impact on the company.

Advice to Management

Keep MITRE's Values in mind when creating new things (e.g., Speed & Technical Excellent).

8. "The Mitre Corporation Review from an employee"

I have been working at MITRE full-time

Pros

Excellent retirement package; flexible work schedule.

Cons

Hard to get recognition if you are a back end developer. Most promotions go to Group/ Project Leads that interface directly with our Stakeholders.

"A Few Insights"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a technical person with business minor I could’ve work for many companies but the MITRE seemed to be an interesting mix of technical and management people. MITRE’s projects also sound interesting and fun. It has been more than three years and I’m okay with this not-for-profit company. My salary and benefit has not changed much, or “It is stable”. The company has nice state-of-the-art buildings, office furniture, and well maintenance environment.

Cons

MITRE is a complicated organization and it is hard for business to grasp what IS its main work. MITRE seems to be an old company with fresh make-up and tries to act young, sometimes it is kind of embarrassing. It is also confusing if MITRE is a solid technology company or just a management company. Average salary for past years aside, I see a lot of people with fancy titles but do not seem to do much work. I don’t even know these people can work in real-world consulting companies. I read in advertisement a long time ago the company was a deep technical expertise in many subject areas helping Federal agencies, but that was before I was born. My talk with friends working in other consulting companies made me think MTIRE is running on a lot of marketing without deep technical knowledge. Someone also told me that new employees are being paid low because of a lot of corporate management overheads. While I heard stories that large monetary bonus has been awarded to higher up, but I don’t think any technical or younger employees will receive and significant bonus. I don’t feel close to my colleagues because supervisors are either inexperienced or very secretive works available. It can be a difficult work environment if you are not a favorite of your managers. Many older employees are friendly but are not willing to provide much information to help us younger employees. There just seem to be some mis-match between what we are advertising and what we do, at lease from my part of the company.

Advice to Management

Reduce people who do not have the knowledge to do their work, even with excellent communication skills.

10. "Group Leader"

Current Employee - Group Leader
    Current Employee - Group Leader

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work Life Balance. Smart people.

Cons

Pay. Slow pace of work at times.