MITRE Reviews | Glassdoor

MITRE President & CEO Jason Providakes
Jason Providakes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The pay is rumored to be lower than other companies, but the environment is less cut-threat and you have a better work-life balance at MITRE (in 18 reviews)

• It's not clear that the Board or upper management know either (in 22 reviews)

"Winds of Change are not Good"

Current Employee - Group Leader
    Current Employee - Group Leader

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I work with really smart people. I live in a environment of constant learning. I get to take on some of the most challenging problems you will find.

Cons

The new CEO is taking this ship on the wrong course. I see a booming economy, I see less experienced data people working at competitors making 30% to 40% more. I'm asked to hire new staff, grow organically (teach, mentor). I spend most of my time doing work development and staff placement but yet the best MITRE management can do is give a cost of living adjustment, but i'm asked to hire more. Really?? Where is the appreciation? I do not have a budget for training my people, where is the budget? I can no longer take my staff to lunch, so I pay for it out of my own pocket, where is the budget? I have staff that deserve to be promoted, but there is always a excuse not to, where is the budget? I see plenty of new executives being promoted by the new CEO. My only conclusion is the money is going to executive salaries and the planning of MITRE 6.

Advice to Management

Read some books on leadership. You can always look to antiquity for examples. How did Pyrrhus of Epirus motivate his men? Why was Hannibal so successful? What was it about Caesar that made his legions follow him across the Rubicon? How about Napoleon Bonaparte and Grande Armee? Try to follow their pattern and you will be successful.

2. "Health and Wellness Coordinator"

Former Employee - Health and Wellness Coordinator in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Health and Wellness Coordinator in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I had a lot of freedom to grow the program and really effect change. We had upper management buy-in and financial support. We got to work in conjunction with other departments and there was a real sense of family.

Cons

Things worked on "MITRE-time", read very slowly. Projects sometimes got stuck in analysis paralysis. New president came in and changed the way the company was structured. They contracted out department.

"Mostly Positive experience so far!"

Current Employee - Lead Electrical Engineer
    Current Employee - Lead Electrical Engineer

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, Challenging work, Good Benefits & Retirement, Leadership Opportunities, some Corporate sponsored events (holiday party, etc.)

I've been at MITRE for about 18 months and have had a great experience. For the record, I work at a site location. Results will likely vary between different sites and the two HQ offices (McLean and Bedford).

I have been recognized as a technical leader & expert in and outside the company. I have been given opportunities to brief senior DoD leadership. This has a been a result of my work and the company's willingness to trust my work.

MITRE work is typically valued by the sponsor as high quality. Good sponsors understand the benefits of an independent, 3rd party, FFRDC, type organization's value and use them appropriately.

I do think senior management is trying to plan for the future. This is both good and bad. Right now, I believe there may be value in some of the initiatives being pursued by senior leadership.

I am looking forward to developing my career here for the long term.

Cons

The company is trying to change itself, for better or worse. This was started under the last CEO and the new one is continuing the change. There is worry amongst the staff that MITRE is seeking to act like a for-profit company and abandoning the FFRDC role. Senior Management dispute this, but their actions seem to indicate otherwise. I am particularly concerned with the recent "push to hire." I don't want to see our technical expertise watered down just to hire more folks.

MITRE, like all federal contractors, must realize that their work is bounded by government decisions and investment plans. We cannot just arbitrarily make investment decisions and we cannot ignore what the government requests. This is the constant struggle b/w senior management and engineers on the front lines of sponsor engagement. (It is also why senior management decisions do not really affect our day-to-day operations.)

Not all sites and HQ offices produce high quality work. One must typically network and identify "pockets of excellence." My experience suggests that much of the technical expertise resides at the Bedford office. I have been less than impressed with the McLean HQ office.

It is challenging to recruit and keep younger staff. We need to be willing to pay them better and give them leadership opportunities. We must also teach them that self initiative is the key to success at an organization like MITRE. This can be overwhelming for younger staff.

Lots of older, experienced staff. Many of them relish getting opportunities to do detailed, technical work. Many unfortunately though, only look for "project management" opportunities b/c that's what they have done for the last decade(s) or so. This is a challenge for young project leads trying to capitalize on the older staff experience. This is not just a MITRE issue.

Advice to Management

Get off the "innovation" train. No company can mandate innovation. It happens when it happens, usually in small amounts. Leverage the FFRDC legacy of providing solid engineering advice to our sponsors. This is what they crave and need. They need the continuity of our technical guidance.

Current future planning efforts seem to be positive and forward thinking. I think the CEO should be given a few years before we properly judge his performance.

Diversify your senior leadership. The previous and current CEO and many of senior leadership come from the old MITRE NJ site. This makes one wonder about what kind of "old boys club" exists.

"Disappointing"

I worked at MITRE full-time

Pros

Great work/life balance. Great facilities including gym and cafeteria. Superior retirement program, actually quite rare to see such a generous employer contribution. Medical benefits were better last year, but for 2018 they are still above average and generous.

Cons

Other than the logistical positives above... MITRE is disappointing. They are charged with tackling some of our nation’s most critical problems. Being an FFRDC, MITRE should be the "sweet spot" between Government and Contractor, but MITRE is failing to be the partner it should be to its Government sponsors.

From coast to coast, from nearly all Government agencies, MITRE has developed a very poor stigma. There's a common theme that our sponsors (customers) tend to roll their eyes the first time they learn MITRE has been assigned to their project. This is a result of MITRE underperforming on projects for years. They underperform because they assign under qualified people. This doesn't mean these people are poor performers, and most of the time it’s no fault of their own because they are sometimes placed on projects if they need a charge-code rather than having a skillset the project actually needs. For example, a radio frequency engineer might be assigned to a project needing software developers. This is not seen as a problem to management, because "the RF engineer is highly intelligent and should be able to pick up the skillset required." However, we all know experience is critical.

There's a push to hire hundreds of people this year. When asked what projects require so many people, management acknowledges there might be none and work will be found after the employees are hired. To me, this is completely unacceptable. It shows that MITRE is only concerned with consuming Government STE (for those who don’t know, STE is a unit of funding that the Government awards MITRE to pay for employees.) This is especially concerning for two reasons... MITRE is funded by tax payer dollars and because some of the projects they work are directly related to National Security.

Advice to Management

MITRE urgently needs to change the stigma that's rampant across its sponsors. You need to completely redesign the processes by which you assign people to projects... skillset MUST come first! You need to show your sponsors that you acknowledge this has been a problem and that you're committed to positive change. A full re-branding campaign should be considered... otherwise Sponsors will continue to avoid MITRE.

5. "Overall satisfied"

Current Employee - Computer Scientist in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Computer Scientist in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance and benefits. The ability to work remotely in many situations is very useful given the commute into Tyson’s. Retirement plan appears to be top notch.

Cons

Changing organizational structure and difficulty transitioning R&D into larger work programs. Many project teams are too large to be productive; in many cases this seems to arise from the need to exhaust allocated project funds rather than a real need for more analysts.

Advice to Management

Smaller project teams; many teams are too large just to spend money allocated to project

Management should aid process of integrating R&D into larger work programs; much of the R&D hits a dead end due to lack of direct funding opportunities and/or visibility

"HR has great employees to work with but Salary and other benefits are not equal with other departments."

Current Employee - Operations and Benefits Specialist in Nashua, NH
    Current Employee - Operations and Benefits Specialist in Nashua, NH

I have been working at MITRE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, laid back, relocation and work from home are available, great health benefits and retirement plan. The wardrobe is also fairly laid back and you can be comfortable in jeans with a nice shirt and on Friday’s it is casual.

Cons

Salary in HR is low as well as being able to continue education through school or the MiTRE institute is hard if you are a non exempt employee you cannot flex your time. So when they tell you all the great opportunities at MITRE make sure to see if your dept allows them.

Advice to Management

Management should have to take courses on how to manage or supervise well. At MITRE employees get promoted just because they have been there a long time, you should get promoted based on the work you do and your strengths. So if your not good with people you should not be in a manager role.

7. "Great people doing great things"

Current Employee - Principal Software Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great work environment. Family friendly is not just a slogan here. The focus is on achieving good things for the U.S. and the world through internal and external collaboration, not on making money for the company. MITRE is very selective in their hiring, so the staff are smart, motivated, and also nice.

Cons

Our main customer/sponsor is the federal government. The downside can be excessive bureaucracy and slow progress.

"Good, But Not What It Used To Be"

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mission - MITRE enables the government in ways that for-profit companies simply cannot. Where MITRE is an honest broker is where the company truly has the most impact.

Cons

Although well intentioned, recent changes at MITRE (CY 2017) are moving the company in a direction that makes it look more, not less, like for-profit entities. The differentiation of only managing FFRDCs was strong, but will no longer be fully true.

Advice to Management

Look to the future, but don't forget what has made you great over the years (most of which is still highly applicable)

9. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I truly enjoy my time at MITRE. Everything from the growth & development opportunities to the MITRE institute courses to the job mentoring, MITRE provides a way to grow and develop in every stage.

Cons

Can sometimes be slow to change processes.

"Constant change but no forward progress"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Beautiful work environment, great benefits, great mission

Cons

Lots of company double talk, waste, bloat....