KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Is this your company?

Add an Interview

MITRE Interview Questions

Updated Aug 3, 2022

To filter interviews, or .
Found 344 of over 344 interviews

Campus Recruiting12%
2.9
HardAverageEasy

MITRE

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at MITRE

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter for a technical position and asked to apply if I was interested. I applied online and heard back after about a week. + 1 week: My initial phone interview was great and we discussed the role and my interests. Based on our conversation, I was asked to also apply for a management position in a similar department due to my leadership experience. + 2 weeks (3 weeks total): A couple of weeks later, I was invited to conduct a video interview with a panel of 5 leaders at MITRE and instructed to develop and brief a presentation with focus on leadership/goals/accomplishments. After preparing the presentation, I was told (a day before my interview) that it had to be rescheduled since not all panel members could attend. I got the impression they were disorganized. Interview had to be rescheduled 2 weeks later. +2 weeks (5 weeks total): I received an invitation for the new date, but was told my presentation would no longer be required (which I found strange?) and the entire 45 minute interview would be Q&A. I dialed-on for the interview early, however it was started late and abruptly. The format was strange and it gave me the impression that the panel member didn't have much experience interviewing candidates. Each person went through their introductions and I was then told to describe what I thought would be my biggest "challenges" in the role. I felt that I gave a thorough answer, however the panel quickly changed direction and they began asking more technical questions, despite the job description's emphasis on leadership experience and people management. For 40 minutes, I was mostly asked questions that I didn't find relevant to the job description, which felt like a game of "stump the chump". Two of the panelists were responsive and asked insightful questions on leadership and management strategies, however the other three seemed disengaged or focused on questioning the validity of my experience. One member appeared disinterested and counterproductive by closing their eyes and resting their head on their hand (as if they were going to take a nap), checking their other computer screen, and interrupting me to ask off-topic questions. I was told one of their "concerns" regarding leadership experience was that I'd need to have a "large existing network" within MITRE already to coordinate on projects. Since I've never worked at MITRE, I was told this would be detrimental to being successful in a leadership role. I found this opinion to be short-sighted, borderline disrespectful, and backwards thinking. Using this logic, they'd only appoint leadership from within their ranks. I was then asked if I'd be interested in taking a lower level position to "get to know the organization" and further develop my technical skills, which came off as infantilizing and counterproductive to my goals of advancing in leadership. Why would I sign myself up to take a step backwards with the hope of climbing the ladder in an organization when I'm clearly applying for leadership roles I'm qualified for? With 5 minutes left in the interview, I was told that I had a few minutes left where I could "bring up anything else that I feel like they should know" and ask any questions. This felt disrespectful (again) since it gave the impression that they weren't interested in my questions. I had many questions, however decided to ask about the day-to-day and how the role didn't have a location requirement, but dictated travel to McLean and Bedford on a periodic basis. The supervisor then said they'd want me on-site at McLean 3 days a week, which was inconsistent with what I was told on my initial phone interview (I was initially told there would be much less frequent travel to McLean for this role, which was important to me considering I'm located over an hour away from their HQ). Additionally, I was told they'd be "paying attention" to how frequently we came to the office, which came off as micro-managing and not forward-thinking given how flexible telework arrangements are in many companies nowadays. I received contact after the interview from a separate department saying they received my resume and would like to talk to me, however my initial interview gave me a bad impression and I feel less inclined to pursue the opportunity, especially when there are more forward-thinking organizations out there. Overall Impression: I feel like I wasted 5 weeks of my time to build a presentation (which they ended up not even wanting) and go through a process where the hiring panel wasn't even interested in hiring me for the role I applied for. It's unfortunate because I was very interested in the role, however the panel seemed more inclined to divert me toward applying for lower level positions instead. I would have appreciated it if they simply communicated that to me beforehand instead of kicking a can down the road, only to finally say "thanks but no thanks".

Interview Questions
  • How would you handle an employee who is having difficulty performing their tasks?
    Answer Question
  • What's your experience with critical infrastructure cybersecurity?
  • Tell me more about your technical experience
  • What do you think your biggest challenge would be when you first start in this position?

MITRE

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MITRE

Interview

The interview process was just like any other. This was during COVID, so the interview was held over video call. It started off with basic information about the company and then I talked about my background. It then went into discussing some of my technical experiences. The overall interview wasn't difficult, but it wasn't a comfortable interview.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

What people are saying about MITRE

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

MITRE

Application

I interviewed at MITRE

Interview

The interview process consisted of a behavioral block, followed by three technical blocks that lasted one hour each. Everyone that interviewed me seemed to really enjoy their positions and the work they were doing.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

MITRE

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MITRE

Interview

Intial phone call with HR screen - basic behavioral questions. Then technical screen with 6-8 engineers from two different sites. Sounds more stressful than it was. Most questions pertained to projects I had done and results.

Interview Questions
  • Describe the algorithm you used in this project and the decision process for selecting it.

MITRE

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 1 week. I interviewed at MITRE in May 2022

Interview

I initially heard about the job because a recruiter reached out to me via Linkedin messages. She stated that she was referred to me by a member of her team and provided the job description and information on who would conduct the meeting. I thought this connection was a bit odd, but I went ahead and gave it shot anyway. The initial process of setting up the interview and scheduling was very quick and the actual interview I thought went amazing. I met with two amazing women who truly made me feel so comfortable and excited about this opportunity that was presented to me. They advised they liked my current experience with Workday and that was a plus with this position. I ended the interview confident and researched the company even more after. I sent follow up emails expressing my appreciation for their hospitality and was advised they were sending my information over to other member who also had an opening on his team for a recruiting coordinator. The phone introductory wasn’t scheduled and came completely random but again I appreciated the conversation that was had and expressed that all members I’ve spoken to has amazing hospitality and I truly would love the opportunity to join either if they teams. I reached back out to the initial recruiter on Linkedin expressing my gratitude for introducing me to such lovely people. After that conversation I received radio silence. No follow up emails or phone conversations so I checked back on Linkedin to be surprised they offered the position to someone else and the white team offering congratulations. I didn’t expect the job to be simply given to me just because I was vetted out but I felt it was very unprofessional that I couldn’t even receive a complimentary email rejection or something of that nature. I would have never heard anything regarding the position had I not checked Linkedin to see them all welcoming the hired candidate to the team. I have since still applied to other positions within the company and even reached out to the other recruiter from the phone introductory who is still actively looking to fill his position for a recruiting coordinator to again to express my interest. Just be met with radio silence again.

Interview Questions
2 people found this interview helpful

MITRE

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MITRE in May 2022

Interview

Teams Interview followed by face to face interview. Recruiter said I received great feedback. 2 weeks later no response. Feels very unprofessional to ghost people after a face to face interview.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MITRE (McLean, VA) in Apr 2022

Interview

3 out of 4 interviewers were late or did not show up to the interview. It was a TOXIC interview and most likely a TOXIC company; please continue reading. I was given ambiguous instructions for the presentation but gave it anyway. In my experience, companies that require these types of presentations are typically not healthy. Afterwards there were two questioning panels. The interviewers asked me a variety of questions and were openly disappointed with my answers. My answers were detailed and showed that I had technical depth. Yet they tried to put me down from the start to establish a hierarchy. An answer that is not exactly "correct" to an interviewer's limited (just like everyone's) knowledge can still indicate strong technical ability. Most healthy interviewers see this and then try to get you to talk more about the areas of strength to see how deep that goes. After I showed that I was not happy and I mentioned that I was perhaps not a good fit for such a position, the interviewer that had just put me down then began complimenting me. Basically they were bluffing and I called their bluff. So TOXIC. I'm good at what I do so, knowing my value, I took the high road, finished the interview, and soft nexted. If you want to be part of a constant power-play type environment where everyone is clearly insecure, seems like the place. In general, passive aggressiveness on the first meeting is a bad sign. A healthy work relationship should start right from the beginning. At one point an interviewer even made negative remarks about another interviewer in their absence. HUGE RED FLAG. The irony is that the interviewers mentioned MITRE to be an academia-like place. Academia is about teaching each other and growing together not putting people down for not having the exact same experience as you. Truly exceptional people are humble and kind. Another serious RED FLAG was that I was asked more than once to talk about an invention I have that has a patent pending. I've never had an employer ask about that, let alone twice and then get visibly disappointed that I did not want to discuss it in more detail than I had. I doubt that healthy boundaries will be respected at this company. There were more red flags I can mention but if you've read this far, just avoid this company and find one that will empower you instead of beat you down. Don't be sold on marketing about personal growth and what not, lots of companies can actually offer that. You spend most of your lifespan at your job so pick a place that will not leave you tired, stressed, and always in a state of conflict. This kind of toxicity is contagious

Interview Questions
  • Explain how you would you test an elevator? (Real original I know) Explain how a PC boots. Explain a NOP sled. Explain how you would hack a device that you had access to. How would you go about making a flashlight tamper-proof?
2 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I interviewed at MITRE (McLean, VA)

Interview

Organized with a couple of the interns in the company. Lots of questions were asked about experience and how it can compliment the company's work. There was a technical aspect to it where they ask one leet code question.

Interview Questions
  • What is something you would want to learn if you were given 3 years

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at MITRE (Huntsville, AL) in Apr 2022

Interview

A senior recruiter emailed me and we scheduled an interview the same day. The interview had the department principal, a technical expert, and interns assistance. The interview wasn't that bad, they were very open to me talking about my background and experience and asked me more technical questions than behavioral, values, and the usual interview questions.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I interviewed at MITRE (Boston, MA)

Interview

A phone call where I was asked about my interests, experience, and about myself. Overall my interviewer was extremely nice and supportive. The phone call it lasted for about an hour

Interview Questions
  • Tell me a little bit about yourself. Why do you want to work at MITRE?
Viewing 1 - 10 of 344 Interviews

MITRE Interviews FAQs

Glassdoor users rated their interview experience at MITRE as 67.0% positive with a difficulty rating score of 2.85 out of 5 (where 5 is the highest level of difficulty). Candidates interviewing for Senior Systems Engineer and Intern rated their interviews as the hardest, whereas interviews for Systems Engineer and Software Engineer roles were rated as the easiest.

The hiring process at MITRE takes an average of 28 days when considering 366 user submitted interviews across all job titles. Candidates applying for Senior Systems Engineer had the quickest hiring process (on average 15 days), whereas Software Engineer roles had the slowest hiring process (on average 60 days).

Common stages of the interview process at MITRE according to 366 Glassdoor interviews include:

Phone Interview: 27.19%