MITRE Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MITRE Interview Questions

Updated Mar 24, 2017

2.8

Operations Interview

Interview

I was contacted by one of the current project managers. I was later interviewed by the hiring manager and a decision was made within 2 weeks regarding my status. The only problem was that I had to call in order to find out whether or not I recieved the offer. It took a while to get a hold of the team.

Data Analytics Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MITRE.

Interview

Initial screening was done by the hiring manager, which was unexpected, particularly because I did not receive an email beforehand and got a call out of the blue. This interview lasted about 15 minutes and included technical questions. Second round with another manager. This included work history and technical questions. Both managers were highly knowledgeable (both had PhDs) and had excellent questions about my work history.

Software Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bedford, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MITRE (Bedford, MA) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online through their website in January 2017. Received an email requesting an on-site interview several weeks later. The interview involved an hour with three people who started with talking about me/my skills then moved on to technical/whiteboard coding questions. After that I had a shorter one-on-one talk with someone else. Received an offer around a week after the interview.

Interview Questions

• First question was a group of questions about basic OOP design principles. Second question was an array processing question.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MITRE in February 2017.

Interview

The interview just consisted of a phone screen, at least in my case. It was very friendly; it may be with a group of people, but don't let that get to you; they just want to get to know you.

Cyber Security Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MITRE.

Interview

I applied online, and was subsequently contacted for a phone screen. The phone screen was 30 minutes of basic HR questions and resume review. I received a formal offer about 10 days later.

Emerging Technology Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MITRE (McLean, VA) in January 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by email to schedule a phone interview. This lasted for about 45 minutes and about 2 weeks later, I was contacted to schedule an in-person interview. The in-person interview was at McLean, VA facility and lasted about 5 hours. I spoke with about 6 people and gave a presentation. My presentation was essentially about my PhD thesis work and I presented to 3 people. After the interview was completed, I was sent a follow-up email stating that they would have a decision on my application "shortly" and then we could discuss how to proceed. I sent a follow-up email to the recruiter about 2 weeks later, and another about 10 days after that. I never heard back.

Interview Questions

• What do you see yourself doing at Mitre?   1 Answer
    • What are some open problems in the research area that you would like to pursue at Mitre?   Answer Question

Technical Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MITRE (Bedford, MA) in December 2016.

Interview

Phone screen, then in-person interview. I met with a project manager, two groups of developers who asked me technical questions, and an HR representative. I was interviewing for a front-end development internship and found the process very easy. The interview was held in a conference room and I did not get to see the working environment at all.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that can validate a password given a set of criteria (length, must include certain characters, must not include certain characters).   Answer Question

Communications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at MITRE.

Interview

A hiring manager contacted me through email about 5 weeks after I was referred by a current employer.

There were two phone screens. We went over my resume and they asked about my experience in tactical communication. Nothing too technical. The hiring manager's boss also mentioned about other open positions in his group. The first phone screen ended abruptly because the hiring manager's boss had to leave 15 minutes into the call. After the phone call, the hiring manager wanted to schedule another phone screen.

In the second phone screen, the hiring manager and a lead engineer interviewed me. The interview seemed mostly identical to the first phone screen, but they really drilled down to the technical portions of my resume. I wasn't quite prepared to how detailed they wanted to go over my resume. They mainly asked about dynamic routing protocols, some software development questions, and RF theory. I'll admit that I think I bombed most of the questions and thinking back into the interview, I should've prepared a little more to talk about my resume. This was my first phone interview in about 10 years. Anyway, I thought I was interviewing for the job that I applied to, but towards the end of the phone screen, the hiring manager informed me that I was actually interviewing for another "similar" position that I initially applied for. A little bizarre, but I guess your resume will get floated around to different departments/hiring managers once you apply to a job within the organization.

Interview Questions

• How would you implement and test a new software feature in a digital communication waveform?   Answer Question
    • What pieces of equipment would you use to debug an RF system? What measurements would you be looking for?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MITRE.

Interview

Had a phone interview with a hiring manager followed by an on site interview. On site interview was 8 hours long and had to give a 30 minute technical presentation to a group. There were a series of 8 2 on 1 interviews and 3 of them were technical. Interview is not very difficult but very long.

This seems like a great company to work for if you are freshly out of school but not so much down the road. Went to lunch with a couple of the younger engineers and they let it slip many others use the company as a way to get into the industry. Beware if you are looking for long term. The company also doesn't focus on doing practical research, rather focuses on consulting for the government. If you are looking for hands on research, this is not the place. It is also not a place where you will have proper guidance.

Interview Questions

• Mostly straightforward going over the resume . One of the panel interviewers asked several "gotcha" questions on material they were an "expert" on but not related to the job.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MITRE.

Interview

A few phone interviews followed by an in-person interview. The in-person interview consisted of 6 30-minute interviews with different people. If you made it this far, they like you and respect your technical ability, so the interview is low-stress.