Mattersight Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 18, 2017

3.2

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mattersight (Chicago, IL).

Interview

They were efficient and friendly throughout the entire process, providing flexible timing and quality responses to questions. The in person interviewers did not seem particular interested in spending time with me, however.

Interview Questions

• What would let you transition well into the business world?   Answer Question

Dec 27, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for taking the time to review your candidate experience. Glad it was a positive experience overall although your comment about the in person interviewers concerns me. If you are open to... More

Business Insight Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mattersight.

Interview

Had a phone screener with the recruiter and then with the hiring manager. They invited me to their office after the second phone screener, but they don't pay for you to come, which is a pretty annoying.

They had me prep a presentation based on a dataset they sent me. It took a while (maybe 10 hours), and it wasn't clear exactly what they wanted.

On the day, I took a Wonderlic test, then presented, then had a series of interviews. Everything went fine and they asked pretty typical questions. The culture there seems pretty bro-y.

The recruiter called me two weeks later saying he received positive feedback on me, but then I never heard from them again.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really interesting - typical things like where you want to be in five years, name a time you influenced an outcome, etc.   Answer Question

Aug 15, 2017 – Chief People Officer

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your interview process. It looks like we missed a couple of opportunities during your interview process. I will be following up on the... More

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Mattersight (Chicago, IL) in July 2017.

Interview

The phone call was estimated to last up to an hour, the caller was prompt and nice. He was very insistent that the position was less of a quantitative role that I was looking for, and more of a review role. He explained in detail that it was an entry level position that was limited to very repetitive actions, and that possible mobility into a position that would be more of what I wanted in 12-18 months but it was very competitive.

Interview Questions

Mattersight Response

Aug 15, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Hi, I am glad that this was a positive experience even if it did not turn into a role for you. Our recruiting team tries hard to set the right expectations upfront so that there is not... More

Solutions Consultant Interview

Application

Interview

The process was pretty typical until the in person interview . There were 2-3 phone calls with team members and the hiring manager. All the usual tell me about yourself and some questions gauging your experience and how you would fit into the role.

The onsite interview was the tougher part. There was no single very difficult piece, but prepping a case study w/ 30 min presentation, Wonderlic test, personality assessment, and then 4-5 interviews can be a lot to take in.

Overall everyone was very nice and I received positive feedback but was not selected due to the case study. So I would say spend more time on that beyond showing you know how to use a pivot table and craft a simple deck.

Interview Questions

Mattersight Response

Aug 15, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for taking the time to interview with us and to write a review. I am glad that overall it was a positive experience for you. Best of luck to you as you continue your job search. Melissa

Data Integrity Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mattersight (Chicago, IL) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied online, got an email for a phone interview. The phone call was just like explaining the job and get to know me. The call lasted for about 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• What is a project/assignment you did in school that would make you a good candidate for this job   Answer Question

Office Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Mattersight (Austin, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

This was a long process, 2-3 phone interviews and a 2 hour long in person interview. You take practice tests before the interview and a few personality tests and then a practical test during the interview. I spent probably upwards of 10 hours interviewing for this position, which is actually for the best because by the end of the process, even before the in person interview, I figured it wasn't the perfect fit - the position would not utilize my experience much at all, which was disappointing after spending so much time on the company. (The Office Manager position is more of an Event Planner than anything, which I thought was a much smaller portion of the position, but that was the only thing the interview focused on).

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Mattersight (Chicago, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

I thought that the process went very smoothly overall! Patrick and Katie were responsive and communicative over phone and email, and accommodated my scheduling issues when I needed to schedule my onsite interview on short notice.

Interview process consisted of:
    - Phone screen w/ HR
    - Phone interview w/ hiring manager
    - 4 hour onsite interview: included a Wonderlic assessment, a presentation talking about insights from data they had sent over, and 5 30-minute interviews (fairly standard interview questions)

I would say that the onsite interview is a bit of a marathon (so mentally prepare yourself for that), but you do get a feel for the culture of the organization and the team structure from talking to these various individuals who are in different roles.

Interview Questions

• Case study where they gave a link to a large data set and asked a few specific questions. Idea was to make a presentation from the data+insights and present it to a group of 4-5 people for half an hour then answer questions for another half hour. Was a fun exercise honestly!   Answer Question

Jun 9, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for the feedback and I'm glad it was a positive experience. We appreciate you spending half a day with us; our goal is to make it a one day event vs having you return several times. I... More

Junior Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Mattersight (Austin, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

1. 30-45 minute phone screen about my background, schooling and interests
    2. Phone interview with team lead. More bacjground questions, then OOP questions and SQL query questions.
    3. Another phone interview with senior management, more background and technical questions.
    4. On site interview (flown to Austin), 4 hour interview that began with wonderlick test. Lunch with team lead asking more about my background and behavioral questions. 3 or 4 30 minute interview with software engineers and developers asking OOP questions, then trick questions.

Overall this took me about 5 or 6 weeks, (+ 5 more weeks for reimbursement) and felt like a total waste of my time. I was told they hired others necause they answered the trick questions correctly and I didn't. Believe me when I say trick by the way I'm not exaggerating (gold bar question... sad).

Honestly I'm glad they hired someone who read up on the gold bar trick question, the developers at this location are sub optimal based on their interview skills.

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mattersight (Chicago, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

This was probably the longest interview process I've ever encountered, but it was a good learning experience. First I took a critical thinking test, met with one of the Accounting Managers, another Accounting Manager and finally the Controller. Unfortunately I wasn't offered the position. Although, I felt like I had more experience than what the team had reflected. Seeing that they were 2-3 months behind on work, I felt like I could've improved processes.

Interview Questions

• A Case Study was given, but nothing too difficult for an experienced Accountant.   Answer Question

Data Integrity Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Mattersight (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

Overall, this interview experience was a learning experience because I have never experienced going through 3 rounds of interview consisting of hour long phone calls, taking an IQ test, and meeting 4 different interviewers each.
    The first phone call was with "Patrick" (Director of Talent Acquisition). It was an hour long (each phone call is an hour long) and it was basically a get to know you kind of phone call asking you about your resume, education experience, work experience and what you know about the company and why you applied to the position/company.
    Next phone call is more behavioral questions. For example, a time where you had a bad teammate, good teammate experience, juggling multiple projects, overcoming adversity, a time where a project failed and what you can do to make it better.
    Lastly, if you pass the 2 phone calls, they invite you on-site for final round. The final round consisted of a 12 min wonderlic test (consisting of math and verbal questions) and then they dive straight into interviews. No break, just each person coming in and out 30 min each. For an entry-level position, they asked very in depth technical questions to throw you off your feet. The last person to have interviewed me was the director. She will ask very difficult and specific type questions to challenge you and see if you're good enough.

Interview Questions

• A software that you use all the time and what can you do to make it better?   Answer Question
    • There's a software and you have to find a bug within 2 hours. What would you do? what is the process you would take?   Answer Question
    • If a design team gave you a brand new phone, and you have 1 week to test it. What would you do to test out the phone? what would your plan of action be? And if they asked you if they can sell it to the market can you say yes?   Answer Question
    • How was your school's program qualitative and quantitative   Answer Question