Mattersight Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Mattersight Interview Questions

Interviews at Mattersight

3.1

QA Analyst Interview

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn and the tech stack caught my attention. After a call with the recruiter, I was asked for a technical phone screen. The screening question was a good mix of algorithms, data structures and design.
    After clearing technical phone screen, I was invited for on-site interviews. There were 6 interviews excluding recruiter. I requested to spread the interviews over 2 days which was accepted.

Software QA Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Mattersight (Chicago, IL) in September 2015.

Interview

Had a brief phone screen with one of the senior recruiters and everything went pretty good. The interviewer was on time, gave a clear description of what the company did and on the position itself.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Mattersight in November 2018.

Interview

In two words: Communication problem.
    First round was a phone call with a senior recruiter. She seemed very nice and kind. She mentioned that there would be 1.phone screening, 2. Coding/project assignment, 3. Onsite. A few days later, I did my first phone screen with the hiring manager.
    However, I haven't heard anything from the recruiter for many weeks. But okay, I thought it was probably due to Thanksgiving holidays. A few weeks later, the recruiter sent me an email and told me that they want to move forward AND I was told to talk another recruiter to schedule a phone screening. I got so confused because I already did phone screening. I first thought they wanted to do an extra round of phone screening, but it turned out that I didn't need another phone screening.
    It was impossible to communicate with the new recruiter via email. The recruiter wanted to just call me without any notice. Then I had to reiterate what I had already wrote him the day before.
    There were few more hiccups along the way. In the end, I went their office in Chicago for an onsite. Fortunately, the interviewers were super nice, friendly and smart.
    I haven't heard from the recruiter since, and I assume that I didn't get an offer.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mattersight (Chicago, IL).

Interview

They were efficient and friendly throughout the entire process, providing flexible timing and quality responses to questions. The in person interviewers did not seem particular interested in spending time with me, however.

Interview Questions

• What would let you transition well into the business world?   Answer Question

Dec 27, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for taking the time to review your candidate experience. Glad it was a positive experience overall although your comment about the in person interviewers concerns me. If you are open to it, I would be interested in talking with you for more detail. You can reach out to me directly or through Patrick or Katie. I hope you have found a great role at another company and I wish you the best of luck! Melissa

Business Insight Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mattersight.

Interview

Had a phone screener with the recruiter and then with the hiring manager. They invited me to their office after the second phone screener, but they don't pay for you to come, which is a pretty annoying.

They had me prep a presentation based on a dataset they sent me. It took a while (maybe 10 hours), and it wasn't clear exactly what they wanted.

On the day, I took a Wonderlic test, then presented, then had a series of interviews. Everything went fine and they asked pretty typical questions. The culture there seems pretty bro-y.

The recruiter called me two weeks later saying he received positive feedback on me, but then I never heard from them again.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really interesting - typical things like where you want to be in five years, name a time you influenced an outcome, etc.   Answer Question

Aug 15, 2017 – Chief People Officer

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your interview process. It looks like we missed a couple of opportunities during your interview process. I will be following up on the feedback loop because we definitely want to ensure we clearly communicate with all candidates. I hope you have landed in a good spot and are enjoying your new role. Melissa

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Mattersight (Chicago, IL) in July 2017.

Interview

The phone call was estimated to last up to an hour, the caller was prompt and nice. He was very insistent that the position was less of a quantitative role that I was looking for, and more of a review role. He explained in detail that it was an entry level position that was limited to very repetitive actions, and that possible mobility into a position that would be more of what I wanted in 12-18 months but it was very competitive.

Interview Questions

Mattersight Response

Aug 15, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Hi, I am glad that this was a positive experience even if it did not turn into a role for you. Our recruiting team tries hard to set the right expectations upfront so that there is not disappointment down the road especially since you are seeking a quantitative role. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. Melissa

Solutions Consultant Interview

Application

Interview

The process was pretty typical until the in person interview . There were 2-3 phone calls with team members and the hiring manager. All the usual tell me about yourself and some questions gauging your experience and how you would fit into the role.

The onsite interview was the tougher part. There was no single very difficult piece, but prepping a case study w/ 30 min presentation, Wonderlic test, personality assessment, and then 4-5 interviews can be a lot to take in.

Overall everyone was very nice and I received positive feedback but was not selected due to the case study. So I would say spend more time on that beyond showing you know how to use a pivot table and craft a simple deck.

Interview Questions

Mattersight Response

Aug 15, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for taking the time to interview with us and to write a review. I am glad that overall it was a positive experience for you. Best of luck to you as you continue your job search. Melissa

Office Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Mattersight (Austin, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

This was a long process, 2-3 phone interviews and a 2 hour long in person interview. You take practice tests before the interview and a few personality tests and then a practical test during the interview. I spent probably upwards of 10 hours interviewing for this position, which is actually for the best because by the end of the process, even before the in person interview, I figured it wasn't the perfect fit - the position would not utilize my experience much at all, which was disappointing after spending so much time on the company. (The Office Manager position is more of an Event Planner than anything, which I thought was a much smaller portion of the position, but that was the only thing the interview focused on).

Data Integrity Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mattersight (Chicago, IL) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied online, got an email for a phone interview. The phone call was just like explaining the job and get to know me. The call lasted for about 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• What is a project/assignment you did in school that would make you a good candidate for this job   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Mattersight (Chicago, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

I thought that the process went very smoothly overall! Patrick and Katie were responsive and communicative over phone and email, and accommodated my scheduling issues when I needed to schedule my onsite interview on short notice.

Interview process consisted of:
    - Phone screen w/ HR
    - Phone interview w/ hiring manager
    - 4 hour onsite interview: included a Wonderlic assessment, a presentation talking about insights from data they had sent over, and 5 30-minute interviews (fairly standard interview questions)

I would say that the onsite interview is a bit of a marathon (so mentally prepare yourself for that), but you do get a feel for the culture of the organization and the team structure from talking to these various individuals who are in different roles.

Interview Questions

• Case study where they gave a link to a large data set and asked a few specific questions. Idea was to make a presentation from the data+insights and present it to a group of 4-5 people for half an hour then answer questions for another half hour. Was a fun exercise honestly!   Answer Question

Jun 9, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for the feedback and I'm glad it was a positive experience. We appreciate you spending half a day with us; our goal is to make it a one day event vs having you return several times. I appreciate your point about getting a feel for the culture; it is as important for a candidate to learn about us as for us to learn about the candidate. I wish you good luck as you continue to job search. Melissa