Mattersight Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mattersight President and CEO Kelly D. Conway
Kelly D. Conway

Pros
  • Work/life balance is excellent and I am surrounded by extremely intelligent people who are always willing to help (in 12 reviews)

• Free snacks and sometimes meals (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is not in touch with the rest of the company and does not communicate well about developments and setbacks (in 5 reviews)

• Hasn't turned a profit in 14 years (look it up) (in 2 reviews)

1. "Great Culture, Interesting Work: Never Bored!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Mattersight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mattersight is a growing company with interesting products, really smart people and a culture that offers something for everyone such as volunteer days, regular lunches (thanks for always remembering the vegetarians and gluten-free!), office outings and a softball team. Employees can start programs they are interested in such as a new Data Collaborative, Toastmasters and a book club. Big name clients. I've learned a lot about topics I'm interested in and been introduced to topics that I didn't yet know I was interested in.

Cons

There is a very fast pace and you have to be willing to work hard. Exciting when all is going well; can be draining when there is an issue.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees and keep communicating to employees.

"Poor management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Mattersight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Peers are great! The people I work with on a daily basis are friendly, smart, and hardworking which makes the cons almost bearable.

Cons

The company leans on smart, recent college grads to make-up for a product that doesn't really work and has constant fire-drills. This company has been in business for 14+ years but still thinks of itself as a start-up. In reality it is a poorly managed organization that attempts to disguise this from the younger employees with free snacks, beer on tap, and a pingpong table. Do not be deceived. Your work will never be good enough despite many and varied attempts to go beyond what is asked of you and you will not receive adequate training or feedback to grow professionally. You're basically a blind rat that needs to run on the wheel faster and faster without any insight as to why this keeps happening.

Advice to Management

Invest in and communicate with your employees. Take an honest assessment of why the entire Marketing Department, many people from Service Delivery and Customer Success teams, and the smartest portion of Finance has left the company in the last 3-6 months. That should give a starting point to improving company culture and financial performance.

"Work with intelligent people and great culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Mattersight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people
    Great culture
    Decent work
    Good work/life balance

Cons

Kegs run dry at inopportune times

Mattersight Response

Apr 21, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your positive feedback! And I think anytime a keg runs dry is an inopportune time…so we’ll continue to try and stay ahead of that! - Melissa

"Professional"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Mattersight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't think of any pros.

Cons

Toxic & untrustworthy culture. Worst career experience. Leadership only cares about their own salaries and titles. No development or learning opportunities.

Mattersight Response

Apr 21, 2017 – Chief People Officer

I am sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience working here. I wish you the best in future endeavors. - Melissa

"Struggling"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Mattersight full-time

Pros

Really cool foundational idea: matching customer and CSR personalities to create more satisfying interactions. Also, the office is really nice and always stocked with great snacks.

Cons

Mattersight is more or less a consulting company that tries to sell itself as a software company. The average tenure of the exec team is 15 years, so there isn't much tolerance for outside ideas. The problem is that, while the idea behind the company is really cool, there isn't a real product offering to support it. Most of the client deliverables are manually created powerpoint presentations. And they have never once turned a profit in the 68 quarters of their existence.

Advice to Management

The exec team is staffed by old, white men. They should hire some leaders outside of that profile to grow their worldview.

7. "Great people, great environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Mattersight (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been at Mattersight less than a year, but my experience so far has been wonderful. Work/life balance is excellent and I am surrounded by extremely intelligent people who are always willing to help. Benefits are pretty good and you can tell that there is an effort made to keep employees happy. The office space is very nice and the free food doesn't hurt!

Cons

Timelines and budgets can make some projects difficult. I also get the sense that some team members are stuck in their ways, which can make creativity difficult as well.

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin on. My experience at Mattersight has been extremely positive so far!

8. "Excellent Benefits"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Mattersight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful office, once-twice monthly catered lunches, free beer, ping pong table, 2 days paid volunteer time, smart, awesome people.

Cons

Technological constraints of the product can cause great stress to client-facing employees.

Advice to Management

stabilize the product

"Ambitious company with great talent and cool products"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Mattersight full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mattersight employs bright, dynamic people who challenge each other in a productive way. Most individuals have some unique skillset or edge that contributes to their personal brand. There are new puzzles to solve daily, which keeps the work interesting. The office in Chicago is a fantastic work space that affords collaboration and team building. If you put in the effort here, you will grow personally and professionally.

No employee is “too junior” to contribute to the future of the product line. Management is open to, if not encouraging of, innovative ideas from any team member.

Work-life balance is really a thing here, if you’re willing to setting boundaries. Many employees belong to IM sports leagues, pursue graduate degrees, or have regular volunteer commitments. Most of management is very supportive of using your vacation time.

Cons

Unaddressed product limitations can create difficult situations for employees who work with client users on a daily basis. That said, I have seen several key efforts in the past year to overcome these challenges.

Despite a renewed focus on increased communication and transparency, messages from leadership can seem superficial and redundant.

Advice to Management

Offer employees honest, balanced communication about the company’s performance and prospects.

More frequent opportunities for base pay increases.

"Good hours, average pay"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Mattersight (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours. Friendly environment. Open to new tech.

Cons

Pay could be better. Coordination between offices sometimes lacking.

11. "I dig it!"

Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in Austin, TX

Pros

Super casual work environment. The usual good tech perks like free snacks, beer Fridays, game room with foosball, team outings. Free lunch every other Friday. Super smart people. Interesting solutions (personality software)

I'm in Marketing and my boss is very receptive to hearing my ideas and implementing them. In fact, any time I suggest something my CMO usually will implement my suggestion (and that includes sales contests)

It's challenging but I enjoy the work and my co-workers are great. If you are lazy, you won't be a good fit here.

We are about to move into a new office in September - the Chief People Officer has been really good about letting the employees vote on everything from colors of the walls to new furniture to conference room names.

Cons

No bring your dog to work (bummer, but that policy is not because of Mattersight; our building management company doesn't allow pets). Office is pretty quiet but Mattersight tries to make it fun with off site outings (we did an Austin Duck Tour/lunch last week and a few months ago we did the Panic Room) - base salary could be better.

Advice to Management

Give your A players raises! Better base salary.