Mattersight Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Mattersight President and CEO Kelly D. Conway
Kelly D. Conway

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They have an above average work-life balance, you won't get burnt out and you get plenty of PTO (in 15 reviews)

• Great people to work with across the board (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is not in touch with the rest of the company and does not communicate well about developments and setbacks (in 5 reviews)

• Profitability is right around the corner (in 2 reviews)

"Pinch me I must be dreaming"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Mattersight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I could go on and on about the pros but I'll keep it simple Mattersight and your managers truly care about you as an individual, it's always felt like family. They have an above average work-life balance, you won't get burnt out and you get plenty of PTO. The work is so incredibly interesting and fulfilling, I love talking to my peers and learning more about what new products are coming along.

Cons

Wish we could have pets in the office, but other than that nothing really.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and taking employee suggestions to heart.

"Same Problems, Little Change"

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Mattersight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Quick preface: I've found myself writing reviews and then deleting them, even though I haven't worked there in quite some time. Maybe that's because I'd get too wordy and didn't feel like ruining anyones day. That said, as someone who still owns shares (unfortunately) via employee bonuses, I should let one of them stick and keep it short and sweet, particularly in light of the recent earnings call that sent that stock price to an all time low...though this isn't about the couple of hundred bucks from stock more so than it is seeing a broken system stay in place.

PROS:
    - Awesome peers. Great office. Good perks. Decent comp/benefits. Good work/life balance
    - Good enough stepping stone to a better job (see former employees who went to Google, Facebook, Salesforce, Slalom, hot tech startups)

Cons

- MATR won't survive without being acquired or ceasing operations (see prior review and the $B valuation and IPO of a direct competitor).
    - Profitability is right around the corner. Except that's been the message for over 5 years. If this was the NFL, the coach (Conway) would've been fired years ago.
    - Employees get scraps, while failing execs get rich. Kelly Conway sold 26,176 shares at $3.55 this past February for a total of $92.9K. I worked at Mattersight for over 3 years. My portfolio of bonuses from stock is worth ~$300 and slipping. Yay! At least I work at a successful company now...I don't know what justifies his compensation other than cronyism.
    - I've always been skeptical of their technology and how well it works. The management structure of my team and the company was over-inflated. I've learned more in months at other companies than I did in years here. A "broken clock is right at least twice a day" isn't a way towards being a successful business.
    - I could keep going...I'll leave it at that.

Advice to Management

The problems start and end at the top. Conway should have been canned long ago. If Mattersight is to survive, drastic changes are needed. The tech is lagging SIGNIFICANTLY behind what's available (or what will be) in the market. At this point, any current and former employee should see this as what it is...a mechanism for the old dogs to get rich while the ship sinks. Get out while you can. Also, the overly positive reviews are blatantly obviously fake to anyone that worked there...come on.

Aug 28, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Hi. We place a high priority on employee satisfaction by offering what you highlighted in your Pros' section plus more so I am truly sorry to see that you were here for over 3 years yet walked away... More

3. "Love working for Mattersight"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edina, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edina, MN

I have been working at Mattersight full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Management and coworkers consistently put people first through great times and hard times. It's an IT company, so you're going to have some encroachment on your life, but on the whole it's truly excellent work/life balance. I can't imagine a more supportive employer.

You're encouraged to pursue your work interests, even if they lead you to other teams. If you've got great ideas and effort, you can make a real impact no matter what level you're at or what team you work on.

Great people to work with across the board.

For being a small company, employment and org structure has been quite stable. Seems like my friends at big companies have way more layoffs and general instability than we do.

Cool and unique proprietary technology. Lots of things to keep a scientific, technology, or data driven mind interested.

Top level management very accessible and supportive. They're involved and in touch with the technical operating details of our business.

Cons

Waiting anxiously for our business to take off! I'm a bit jealous of IT companies that scale up big time. Hoping we someday are in that group.

Jul 3, 2017 – Chief People Officer

I love this review! Your experiences are what we want all employees to experience. Thank you for growing your career with us and let’s keep working towards that goal together! - Melissa

"High end Sales candidates: questions to investigate"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Mattersight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Predictive Behavioral Routing value proposition sounds so impressive that a very high percentage of prospects want to buy it based on their initial meeting.

Cons

The competitor, Afiniti (formerly Satmap), is crushing it. Afiniti's partnership with and equity investment by McKinsey, combined with a highly successful practice of hiring top executives from prospects preceded Afiniti's announced IPO (purportedly valued at some $1.6 billion according to a VentureBeat article).

Mattersight financials are public. Study them in comparison.

Do you love commissions tied to black-box gainshare metrics? Do you feel most at-home near revolving doors where the great folks all escaped a micro-managing, temper tantrum throwing leader? Do you want each new customer you sign to be ripped away from you? Are you excited when few or zero colleagues exceed quota? Are you tired of having to fly away to Presidents Club in Maui, Spain etc...?

Advice to Management

Network heavily just in case.

5. "Avoid"

Former Employee - Client Lead in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Client Lead in Chicago, IL

I worked at Mattersight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Low-level and middle-management employees are bright, well-meaning, etc.

Cons

Compensation (both structure and amount) are laughable. Executive leadership are just not good people, and it makes for a toxic culture.

Jul 3, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for your feedback, although it was tough to read. We do our best to encourage individuals to come forward with concerns and I’m sorry you didn’t feel comfortable voicing them while you were... More

"Great Culture, Interesting Work: Never Bored!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Mattersight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mattersight is a growing company with interesting products, really smart people and a culture that offers something for everyone such as volunteer days, regular lunches (thanks for always remembering the vegetarians and gluten-free!), office outings and a softball team. Employees can start programs they are interested in such as a new Data Collaborative, Toastmasters and a book club. Big name clients. I've learned a lot about topics I'm interested in and been introduced to topics that I didn't yet know I was interested in.

Cons

There is a very fast pace and you have to be willing to work hard. Exciting when all is going well; can be draining when there is an issue.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees and keep communicating to employees.

May 14, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Glad you are enjoying your Mattersight experience! We are moving at a fast pace with great new logos and growth with our subscription clients. Hope you were able to join our most recent Company... More

"Poor management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Mattersight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Peers are great! The people I work with on a daily basis are friendly, smart, and hardworking which makes the cons almost bearable.

Cons

The company leans on smart, recent college grads to make-up for a product that doesn't really work and has constant fire-drills. This company has been in business for 14+ years but still thinks of itself as a start-up. In reality it is a poorly managed organization that attempts to disguise this from the younger employees with free snacks, beer on tap, and a pingpong table. Do not be deceived. Your work will never be good enough despite many and varied attempts to go beyond what is asked of you and you will not receive adequate training or feedback to grow professionally. You're basically a blind rat that needs to run on the wheel faster and faster without any insight as to why this keeps happening.

Advice to Management

Invest in and communicate with your employees. Take an honest assessment of why the entire Marketing Department, many people from Service Delivery and Customer Success teams, and the smartest portion of Finance has left the company in the last 3-6 months. That should give a starting point to improving company culture and financial performance.

May 14, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Hi - I completely agree with you that we have great people and we hate losing them! Unfortunately, we are a growing company in a competitive marketplace so we do lose some talented employees. On... More

"Great product, some growing pains."

I worked at Mattersight full-time

Pros

Great product, drives measurable ROI

Cons

Management in disarray. Lots of turnover

"Work with intelligent people and great culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Mattersight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people
    Great culture
    Decent work
    Good work/life balance

Cons

Kegs run dry at inopportune times

Apr 21, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your positive feedback! And I think anytime a keg runs dry is an inopportune time…so we’ll continue to try and stay ahead of that! - Melissa

10. "Good stuff"

I have been working at Mattersight full-time

Pros

Good stuff. Very good stuff.

Cons

No cons to report on.