Mixpanel Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Mixpanel Interview Questions

Updated Aug 23, 2017

3.1

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mixpanel.

Interview

The hiring process was disappointing. It started with an online test. After that I had a call with the recruiter. He said he would get back to me but did not. From there the conversation was driven by me and the recruiter's reply seemed disinterested even though he was asking me to come onsite for the interview. I did not go ahead with it since the complete experience seemed negative.

Office Manager Interview

Interview

I completed a phone interview and in-person interview, including a long meeting with the CEO. The process was very opaque and they took two months to let me know their decision.

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mixpanel in July 2017.

Interview

Recruited followed-up quickly after application and had a phone screen within a few business days. Phone screen was information and allowed me to state what I was looking for and allowed recruiter to talk to what Mixpanel was looking for. We felt there was a match, so I completed some homework and submitted writing samples. I was invited to the next phone screen with a hiring manager level, but received an offer from another company and couldn't continue the process.

Interview Questions

• Have you heard about Mixpanel before applying to this job?   Answer Question

Software Engineer - Front End Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mixpanel.

Interview

Started with a phone screen with a recruiter to chat about the company, the role itself to see if it was something I was interested in, and my previous experience. It was followed by an online screening quiz composed of 42 multiple choice questions, and each question has a time limit.

Obviously it's the company's choice to use this quiz, but it seems to be a quiz to see if you're a full stack person, not to see if you're fit to be a front end person. There seems to be a mismatch of what the job description requires and what they actually are testing you on.

Interview Questions

• Out of the 42 multiple choice questions, I could probably count on one hand the ones that I felt were relevant to me as a front end engineer. There were many questions in C and Java on topics I haven't thought about since college, and additionally there were questions in Ruby and Python that I just couldn't answer because I don't know those languages. Other questions involved scenarios that on a job, I would ask either my dev ops person or a back end person.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mixpanel (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Had a pleasure interviewing with Mixpanel in June for a Software Engineering role. The process is very simple and straightforward, and moves very quickly.

I applied on Mixpanel's website and received a link to the Triplebyte Quiz. Did well on the quiz, ended up being invited for an onsite without any phone screens (just chatted on the phone with the recruiting coordinator about roles and fit).

They then flew me out to their headquarters. The on-site was pretty straightforward.

* First round was the roughest for me - the problem was an obfuscated Leetcode Easy, but I did not personally click with the interviewers at all so perhaps that is why I did not get an offer. I stumbled my way through the first question, and had just barely any time to touch up on the follow up.
    * Second round was a discussion of past experiences, goals and other behavioral topics with a senior product person. Fun and informative. Gave me a really good impression of leadership at the company.
    * Next was lunch - yummy food and a convo with people not involved into hiring.
    * Third round was a hands on coding challenge (Leetcode Medium). I stumbled through this one as well and barely finished it in time.
    * Fourth round was a refactoring challenge - fun and practical. I was given a very poorly implemented method and told to refactor it. Make sure to come prepared to put out production quality code.
    * Fifth round was a systems design discussion and an interesting and fun object oriented design problem.

All of the above is done on your own laptop through CoredPad.

Got reimbursed for travel a week later.

Great company, great people. Bummed I did not get an offer - would recommend interviewing here if you get an opportunity. What went wrong in my case is that I did not do well enough on the coding problems, and frankly things got a bit awkward in one of my interviews so I think the combination of poor culture and tech fit is why I did not get an offer. Definitely one of the nicer interview loops I've gone through so far. No whiteboard hazing.

Interview Questions

• Discuss your past projects and be prepared to explain the technical decisions that you've made.   Answer Question

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Mixpanel (Lehi, UT) in April 2017.

Interview

The process was quick. They have four different interviews and they all took less than two weeks. They really try to get you through the process. They asked great questions which were relevant to the position. The follow up was great. They didn't low ball me on the offer.

Interview Questions

• Hypothetically, if you started the job today what does your process look like for the next month?   Answer Question

Communications Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mixpanel (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Brief phone screening with recruiter, followed by a take home design challenge (design 3 components to a marketing campaign), followed by a phone interview with head of design.

Told that the design interview went well, that I was going to be brought onsite for a 4 hour onsite interview that would include:
    -prepare a 30 minute presentation detailing 3-5 pieces of work in depth to present in front of a panel
    -prepare for 4 one on one interviews.

Prepared for this in-depth interview non-stop for a week, only to be told less than 12 hours before my interview that the on-site was cancelled due to another candidate accepting an offer.
    I understand wanting to choose the best candidate, but don't bread crumb your candidates into preparing for in-depth onsite's if you don't actually plan on having them come in. Have never experienced this while interviewing at a tech company, especially when making it to the onsite phase of interviewing.
    Unfortunate to prepare intensely for several days, then told last minute that they weren't interested in seeing what I poured so much time and energy into. Don't waste people's time and energy, figure out a better way to screen applicants so you wont mislead and cancel on them the day before. Unprofessional reputation overall.

Interview Questions

• Standard portfolio review over the phone, examining select projects and the process behind them.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Mixpanel (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Onsite consisted of 4 technical interviews and one software skills interview with a manager.
    The interviewers were all very nice, and I have no complaint about their behaviors. Two of the question were rediculous to ask in my opinion in an interview setting. I have interviewed at Google and Facebook and other very selective companies, and this was one of the toughest interviews I've had. I think these guys are trying to prove a point by making their questions incredibly hard and not solvable in the alluted time. This is a very bad sign in my opinion.

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Mixpanel (Concord, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process seemed to be going really well. I was really liking the company and the people I had met. I was reached out to shortly after applying by a recruiter and had an interview that went well! They gave me a test and loved the outcome so I met with a manager and again got too feedback. I sent a follow up thank you email to the recruiter (the only contact I had) and heard nothing back. I sent another follow up email and again heard nothing back. Needless to say I was pretty disappointed.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Mixpanel (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Mixpanel screened me using Triplebyte's cookie-cutter multiple-choice coding quiz (which requires familiarity with all of these: C, Python, Ruby, HTML/CSS/JS). As of now, Triplebyte's multiple-choice section is the same 35 questions shuffled each time, so you could easily game this by creating an account with a throwaway email and taking the test beforehand (or just taking screenshots to pore over later). I didn't figure this out until later.

Once you pass the coding quiz, they schedule a coding challenge where you tackle a problem using CoderPad in the language of your choice while an employee watches remotely.

If that goes well, you have an onsite interview. Mine consisted of the following:

1. A 45-minute discussion where they ask these questions for each of your recent jobs:
    - what achievement are you proud of?
    - what do you regret?
    - what would your boss compliment you on?
    - what would your boss say you should improve on?

2. Three more sessions of coding on your laptop.

3. A systems design interview. Mine was how to design a simple database and ways to optimize certain queries.

It was generally positive, though:
    - During one of the coding challenges, the interviewer was constantly checking messages on his phone.
    - Another coding challenge was done with a remote interviewer, which seemed inappropriate for an onsite. That person should only be involved in the pre-onsite interview processes.