Mixpanel Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Mixpanel Interview Questions

Updated Apr 24, 2018

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mixpanel (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I met a Mixpanel employee that told me they were hiring. He didn't even ask my level of experience or my interestes, he simply got my email and put me in contact with an HR guy. We scheluded a date and time for a code screen/challenge that had to be returned within 45 minutes but I didn't receive anything. After a few days I contacted him again and we rescheduled. This time he did send the challenge.
    I didn't do well for various reasons but sent my solution anyways, the response was, as expected, negative.

Interview Questions

• Write a sodoku validator function that returns true if a passed string containing all 81 numbers of the puzzle is a valid solution, false otherwise.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mixpanel (San Francisco, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

The recruiter gave me a tech screen over the phone where I was asked how to make an ipod playlist that has next/previous/shuffle functionality. Then multiple onsite visits with more white board questions

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mixpanel (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Had a pleasure interviewing with Mixpanel in June for a Software Engineering role. The process is very simple and straightforward, and moves very quickly.

I applied on Mixpanel's website and received a link to the Triplebyte Quiz. Did well on the quiz, ended up being invited for an onsite without any phone screens (just chatted on the phone with the recruiting coordinator about roles and fit).

They then flew me out to their headquarters. The on-site was pretty straightforward.

* First round was the roughest for me - the problem was an obfuscated Leetcode Easy, but I did not personally click with the interviewers at all so perhaps that is why I did not get an offer. I stumbled my way through the first question, and had just barely any time to touch up on the follow up.
    * Second round was a discussion of past experiences, goals and other behavioral topics with a senior product person. Fun and informative. Gave me a really good impression of leadership at the company.
    * Next was lunch - yummy food and a convo with people not involved into hiring.
    * Third round was a hands on coding challenge (Leetcode Medium). I stumbled through this one as well and barely finished it in time.
    * Fourth round was a refactoring challenge - fun and practical. I was given a very poorly implemented method and told to refactor it. Make sure to come prepared to put out production quality code.
    * Fifth round was a systems design discussion and an interesting and fun object oriented design problem.

All of the above is done on your own laptop through CoredPad.

Got reimbursed for travel a week later.

Great company, great people. Bummed I did not get an offer - would recommend interviewing here if you get an opportunity. What went wrong in my case is that I did not do well enough on the coding problems, and frankly things got a bit awkward in one of my interviews so I think the combination of poor culture and tech fit is why I did not get an offer. Definitely one of the nicer interview loops I've gone through so far. No whiteboard hazing.

Interview Questions

• Discuss your past projects and be prepared to explain the technical decisions that you've made.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Mixpanel (New York, NY).

Interview

Reached out by a recruiter via email and the scheduled a quick phone call to go over engineering opportunities with Mixpanel and my background. After followed an online programming test via triplebyte, the test has 42 questions and there's one thing I didn't like about it, it has several questions in different languages and a few of them required some level of knowledge in that particular language in order to be answered successfully. In my case, I wasn't proficient in Python, C or Ruby and therefore most of the questions in those languages got the "don't know" from me. I don't think that's the best way to filter candidates, in other companies you are able to code and work during your interviews in the language of your choice.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mixpanel (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Email from recruiter, online screen through Triplebyte, phone screen with engineer, on-site day with 4 engineering interviews, offer within a few days after on-sites.

Triplebyte screen was a simple test to see if you could write some rudimentary code, engineering phone screen dove into details around linux kernel features, some more coding and a discussion of my background; on-site was a mixture of coding problems and system design questions or design reviews.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer presented design for a distributed system, which I was to critique/review/improve.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Mixpanel (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Apply online, take a Triplebyte (programming/cs) quiz, phone chat with a recruiter, technical phone interview, onsite (one cultural round and four technical rounds, all on laptop), offer.

Everyone I met with was awesome and the interview questions were good (helps that you can answer them on your laptop). The recruiting side was very smooth and professional as well.

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Mixpanel.

Interview

I went through several technical phone screens, about 30 minutes each, where I did live coding on a website. The interviewers were friendly, and the questions of medium difficulty. After 3 phone interviews I was told we would not be continuing the process because they were "looking for someone with a different set of skills."

Interview Questions

• Explain how closures work in Javascript.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Mixpanel (San Francisco, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

Interview process was not very timely and it seemed that they did not care much about promptness. They asked me a variety of questions that covered algorithms, JavaScript, and graphics drawing, which didn't seem very cohesive. Reason for rejection was not very specific and I was left wondering what I could have done better.

Interview Questions

• Given a static list of words, how would you design a method that quickly tests whether a word is in the list, disregarding case?   Answer Question

Business Operations Analyst Interview

Interview

The interview with the hiring manager was more of an interrogation than an interview. Have interviewed at all FANG, as well as smaller Mixpanel-sized companies - never experienced anything like this. Very passive aggressive, really disappointing

Interview Questions

• What will you do to change our product in your first week on the job?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Mixpanel.

Interview

I spoke with the Site Reliability Engineering Manager via phone. The interview was very fast: there was no discussion between us before starting the coding/test phase of the interview on coderpad.io. That means I never had an opportunity to ask questions about Mixpanel, nor did the SRE Manager ask any questions of me. I was unprepared for the question I was asked (see below)--their recruiter approached me for the role knowing I'd never worked with HTTP in my life. I did not do well in the interview.

I walked away from the interview wondering why their recruiters wasted their company's time and mine by referring me to the position.