Mixpanel Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 24, 2018

3.1

Technical Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Mixpanel (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The recruiting manager was unprofessional, to say the least. Every interaction with him was an unpleasant experience. Given that we had similar backgrounds, it was almost as if he felt I would be a threat to his position.

Since we both knew someone in common within our networks, I kept my cool during the onsite interview. This recruiting team needs to reassess what it is they're actually hiring for, because there are only so many "top 10 CS" or "top universities" type candidates to recruit from. Eventually, you'll need to realize that you have to hire people based on skill. As in this case, interviewing with a manager who felt threatened by a candidate with a skill set that rivaled his, and hence his enjoyment at rejecting my candidacy.

Interview Questions

• What makes you think you are a leader?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mixpanel (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I interviewed last week, and where do I even start?
    First a coding round, after which I got called for on-site. Hiring manger shared some helpful tips. Fine until that point.

On the interview day, it seemed like everyone was so unprepared. My question is, if you want to just give out a question, watch me code without bugs, then why not do a skype interview? The questions were fairly moderate, solved all of them with highest efficiency. The problem is, what do they even expect after this. There were some unmentioned interviewers walking in, and some missing out. Couldn't you atleast give me a heads up?

I seriously think this company has some issues, and needs to work on it. A good starting point would be to realize that its not Google or Facebook. So know what to expect from candidates.
    Not to mention, the tips given by the hiring manager for interviews which once seemed helpful, were just misguiding. Its like saying we look for these skills in you, but evaluating for something else in the end.

I highly suggest to avoid even interviewing at this place. Forget working.

Financial Analyst Interview

Interview

easy behavioral questions they hired me right away and were very lenient on everything it is a good place to work if you have a good manager unfortunately there are inexperienced people

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mixpanel (San Francisco, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

Process took a couple weeks.

Talked with recruiter.
    Was given a HackerRank question to solve.
    6 hours onsite including lunch (it was a bit draining, 4 hours of which were coding related).

Everyone was cordial but I didn't really get to even find out much about who they were or the company as a whole or much time to ask questions about "life at Mixpanel" or related as I would just get to coding right away via Coderpad.

A new person came in every hour, introduced themselves briefly and I started coding HackerRank-like questions. The interviewers primarily remained quiet throughout this time and just sort of watched me code. There was 1 hour of whiteboarding which I found a bit more refreshing as the interviewers engaged a bit more and was able to establish some sort of rapport.

It wasn't a negative experience but not a positive one. It just felt I didn't really need to be onsite or rather the entire 6 hours could've been done remotely.

I thought I did "okay" as I was close/on the path to a solution or got the solution for each question but left feeling I wasn't going to get an offer, which was true and I was okay with that.

Interview Questions

• Decipher the type of credit card a credit card number belongs to based on some conditions. Code should be extendable so that more cards/conditions could be added. (e.g. "cards starting with 4 and are 16 digits long are VISA")   Answer Question

Marketing Operations Specialist Interview

Application

Interview

I applied online and got an email back for a phone interview with HR. She liked me right away so I was moved forward to do an excel assessment. It wasn't that hard but they wanted to see if I was able to understand the advance functions of Excel and gave me 5 problems to work on. But after submitting my assessment they emailed me back saying I didn't get the job because someone else that was further along in the interview process got it.

I was pretty annoyed because I worked on the assessment for a few days and I felt like I did that for nothing. But overall the phone interview was pretty easy. They only asked me why I wanted to work here, how I knew about Mixpanel and what I currently do at my current job.

Business Operations Analyst Interview

Interview

The interview with the hiring manager was more of an interrogation than an interview. Have interviewed at all FANG, as well as smaller Mixpanel-sized companies - never experienced anything like this. Very passive aggressive, really disappointing

Interview Questions

• What will you do to change our product in your first week on the job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mixpanel (San Francisco, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

I had four rounds technical interview and one round bq question with manager. One of the tech interview is about system design question. Other rounds of tech interview are about coding. They really need you to code bug free.

Senior Security Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mixpanel (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

The interview process was pretty standard. A panel of interviewers came through, one or two at a time, over the course of the day.

All of this was standard and reasonable. The negative aspect is that I am currently 2-3 weeks into waiting 2-3 days to hear back. It is possible that I may have had more professional experiences with other organizations.

Interview Questions

• How would I migrate very, very large (many TB) of user data from a bare-metal data center to AWS?   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mixpanel.

Interview

The hiring process was disappointing. It started with an online test. After that I had a call with the recruiter. He said he would get back to me but did not. From there the conversation was driven by me and the recruiter's reply seemed disinterested even though he was asking me to come onsite for the interview. I did not go ahead with it since the complete experience seemed negative.

Office Manager Interview

Interview

I completed a phone interview and in-person interview, including a long meeting with the CEO. The process was very opaque and they took two months to let me know their decision.