Mixpanel Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 12, 2018

3.1

Sort:

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mixpanel (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I met a Mixpanel employee that told me they were hiring. He didn't even ask my level of experience or my interestes, he simply got my email and put me in contact with an HR guy. We scheluded a date and time for a code screen/challenge that had to be returned within 45 minutes but I didn't receive anything. After a few days I contacted him again and we rescheduled. This time he did send the challenge.
    I didn't do well for various reasons but sent my solution anyways, the response was, as expected, negative.

Interview Questions

• Write a sodoku validator function that returns true if a passed string containing all 81 numbers of the puzzle is a valid solution, false otherwise.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mixpanel (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I interviewed last week, and where do I even start?
    First a coding round, after which I got called for on-site. Hiring manger shared some helpful tips. Fine until that point.

On the interview day, it seemed like everyone was so unprepared. My question is, if you want to just give out a question, watch me code without bugs, then why not do a skype interview? The questions were fairly moderate, solved all of them with highest efficiency. The problem is, what do they even expect after this. There were some unmentioned interviewers walking in, and some missing out. Couldn't you atleast give me a heads up?

I seriously think this company has some issues, and needs to work on it. A good starting point would be to realize that its not Google or Facebook. So know what to expect from candidates.
    Not to mention, the tips given by the hiring manager for interviews which once seemed helpful, were just misguiding. Its like saying we look for these skills in you, but evaluating for something else in the end.

I highly suggest to avoid even interviewing at this place. Forget working.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mixpanel (San Francisco, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

I had four rounds technical interview and one round bq question with manager. One of the tech interview is about system design question. Other rounds of tech interview are about coding. They really need you to code bug free.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mixpanel (San Francisco, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

Process took a couple weeks.

Talked with recruiter.
    Was given a HackerRank question to solve.
    6 hours onsite including lunch (it was a bit draining, 4 hours of which were coding related).

Everyone was cordial but I didn't really get to even find out much about who they were or the company as a whole or much time to ask questions about "life at Mixpanel" or related as I would just get to coding right away via Coderpad.

A new person came in every hour, introduced themselves briefly and I started coding HackerRank-like questions. The interviewers primarily remained quiet throughout this time and just sort of watched me code. There was 1 hour of whiteboarding which I found a bit more refreshing as the interviewers engaged a bit more and was able to establish some sort of rapport.

It wasn't a negative experience but not a positive one. It just felt I didn't really need to be onsite or rather the entire 6 hours could've been done remotely.

I thought I did "okay" as I was close/on the path to a solution or got the solution for each question but left feeling I wasn't going to get an offer, which was true and I was okay with that.

Interview Questions

• Decipher the type of credit card a credit card number belongs to based on some conditions. Code should be extendable so that more cards/conditions could be added. (e.g. "cards starting with 4 and are 16 digits long are VISA")   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mixpanel (San Francisco, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

The recruiter gave me a tech screen over the phone where I was asked how to make an ipod playlist that has next/previous/shuffle functionality. Then multiple onsite visits with more white board questions

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mixpanel (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Had a pleasure interviewing with Mixpanel in June for a Software Engineering role. The process is very simple and straightforward, and moves very quickly.

I applied on Mixpanel's website and received a link to the Triplebyte Quiz. Did well on the quiz, ended up being invited for an onsite without any phone screens (just chatted on the phone with the recruiting coordinator about roles and fit).

They then flew me out to their headquarters. The on-site was pretty straightforward.

* First round was the roughest for me - the problem was an obfuscated Leetcode Easy, but I did not personally click with the interviewers at all so perhaps that is why I did not get an offer. I stumbled my way through the first question, and had just barely any time to touch up on the follow up.
    * Second round was a discussion of past experiences, goals and other behavioral topics with a senior product person. Fun and informative. Gave me a really good impression of leadership at the company.
    * Next was lunch - yummy food and a convo with people not involved into hiring.
    * Third round was a hands on coding challenge (Leetcode Medium). I stumbled through this one as well and barely finished it in time.
    * Fourth round was a refactoring challenge - fun and practical. I was given a very poorly implemented method and told to refactor it. Make sure to come prepared to put out production quality code.
    * Fifth round was a systems design discussion and an interesting and fun object oriented design problem.

All of the above is done on your own laptop through CoredPad.

Got reimbursed for travel a week later.

Great company, great people. Bummed I did not get an offer - would recommend interviewing here if you get an opportunity. What went wrong in my case is that I did not do well enough on the coding problems, and frankly things got a bit awkward in one of my interviews so I think the combination of poor culture and tech fit is why I did not get an offer. Definitely one of the nicer interview loops I've gone through so far. No whiteboard hazing.

Interview Questions

• Discuss your past projects and be prepared to explain the technical decisions that you've made.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Mixpanel (New York, NY).

Interview

Reached out by a recruiter via email and the scheduled a quick phone call to go over engineering opportunities with Mixpanel and my background. After followed an online programming test via triplebyte, the test has 42 questions and there's one thing I didn't like about it, it has several questions in different languages and a few of them required some level of knowledge in that particular language in order to be answered successfully. In my case, I wasn't proficient in Python, C or Ruby and therefore most of the questions in those languages got the "don't know" from me. I don't think that's the best way to filter candidates, in other companies you are able to code and work during your interviews in the language of your choice.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mixpanel (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Email from recruiter, online screen through Triplebyte, phone screen with engineer, on-site day with 4 engineering interviews, offer within a few days after on-sites.

Triplebyte screen was a simple test to see if you could write some rudimentary code, engineering phone screen dove into details around linux kernel features, some more coding and a discussion of my background; on-site was a mixture of coding problems and system design questions or design reviews.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer presented design for a distributed system, which I was to critique/review/improve.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Mixpanel (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Apply online, take a Triplebyte (programming/cs) quiz, phone chat with a recruiter, technical phone interview, onsite (one cultural round and four technical rounds, all on laptop), offer.

Everyone I met with was awesome and the interview questions were good (helps that you can answer them on your laptop). The recruiting side was very smooth and professional as well.

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Mixpanel.

Interview

I went through several technical phone screens, about 30 minutes each, where I did live coding on a website. The interviewers were friendly, and the questions of medium difficulty. After 3 phone interviews I was told we would not be continuing the process because they were "looking for someone with a different set of skills."

Interview Questions

• Explain how closures work in Javascript.   1 Answer