Mozilla Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Mozilla Interview Questions

Updated Mar 20, 2017

3.2

User Experience Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mozilla in February 2017.

Interview

Whole process took 2 weeks. I was emailed a week after I applied, had a phone screen the next day, video interview two days after that, and then second video interview the next week. A few days later they told me they were filling the position internally.

First interview was with a UX Designer, and I had to walk through and explain a past project. Second interview was with a Design Engineer, which involved a short technical engineering test. I assume they only give this test to candidates that claim to have coding experience. It was just HTML/CSS and Javascript questions.

The interviewers were fantastic to talk to, and it was clear they love working at Mozilla. I was in contact with 2 HR staff, and they were great to communicate with as well. They have a great and efficient system that is unexpected from a large company. I applaud them!

Interview Questions

• What’s your UX process?
      What is your weakness?
      What are the differences in designing for mobile versus web?
      Do you have any thoughts on improving our product or see any opportunities?
      What's your approach to working with engineers?
      You will have a very vocal user base, so how would you handle complaints and requests that come your way?
      Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Mozilla in February 2017.

Interview

Had one recruiter and one phone interview with hiring manager. They send you calendar select options for days and times... Had to use computer as Google Pixel phone could not fill out the calendar grid.

Interview Questions

• What type of webacsting equipment have I used.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mozilla in January 2017.

Interview

Online assessment. 2 programming questions and a few multiple choice. I took the assessment in C++. Brush up on inheritance and data structures specifically.
    Phone interview. I was given a phone interview a few weeks later. Interview was pretty tough but I can't disclose the questions asked. Interviewer seemed to be in a bad mood but was polite. The entire process took about an hour to complete.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Mozilla in January 2017.

Interview

Had two different interviews with different interviewers.

Both had a conversation over Skype, started out with a bit of conversation of what I already knew, then went in to coding questions.

User Experience Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Mozilla (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

I really enjoyed my Mozilla interviewing process. They clearly have a good system going, where you are working not only with your recruiter but also an recruiting coordinator, so the customer service in that aspect is great. The office is great and has one of the best views of San Francisco. Overall had a good experience and learned a lot from it moving forward. Great company.

Interview Questions

• Mostly related to the position itself and questions about how certain situations should be handled and past professional experiences.   Answer Question

Front End Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Mozilla in September 2016.

Interview

Email Response with hacker rank coding challenge, follow up phone screen, and follow up email. I got the coding challenge and finished it at the end of the week. In a couple of days they called to follow up and asked some background questions. Finally a couple more days later I got an email saying I didn't get a high enough score on the hacker rank challenge. I responded asking for a little more specific feedback and the in house recruiter I was communicating with didn't respond. It didn't seem to make sense to phone screen me if I had already failed the coding challenge, but it didn't really waste too much of my time.

Interview Questions

• Build a simple interface using HTML and CSS   Answer Question
    • Add functionality to a TODO snippet in vanilla JS. Functions: add todo; delete todo   Answer Question

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mozilla (Mountain View, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

1. HackerRank challenge
    2. Two technical phone screens, two managerial phone screens.
    3. On-site: 4 technical interviews, 2 non-technical

The interviews are not easy, but not impossible. They look for strong candidates who are able to think clearly - distributed working is a big part of the company culture, so employees need to be self-motivated and able to communicate clearly.

In addition, employees need to understand - and work to further - the Mozilla mission. Understand what that means to you, both personally and professionally!

Interview Questions

• Stats, distributed systems, databases, map-reduce, general analytics skills   Answer Question

Web Operations Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mozilla (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Initial HR phone screen, followed by a phone interview (or 2, if you're not near an office) with a relevant employee or manager. If all goes well, a full day of 3-5 interviewers, with lunch included. Airfare and hotel are arranged and paid for if needed. These will usually be 2-3 immediate co-workers (same team), and 2-3 people from other "nearby" teams. WebDev candidates may interview with an IT/Ops person, Operations Security with a NetOps person, etc. You're not expected to be an expert in those related fields, but are expected to be at least somewhat familiar with their roles and responsibilities and have a high-level understanding of what they do and when you might engage with them.

Interview Questions

• general Linux sysadmin questions (*nix permissions model, config management, immutable flag, source control), web hosting specific things (Apache, MySQL, Python/Django). Expect some hard / non-obvious ones- Mozilla tends to hire strong.   Answer Question
    • Culture fit questions - comfortable working remotely, attitude towards Open Source and transparency, need for management oversight / direction, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiation can happen, and reasonable counter-offers are likely to be considered. However I wouldn't push it very far... the pay is slightly less than other similar tech companies (though still very strong compared to non-Bay-Area-based businesses).

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mozilla (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The process was straightforward. I applied online, on their site. Received a response from the recruiter within two weeks. Was requested to complete questions on HackerRank. Once those were reviewed I was invited to move forward to speaking with the hiring manager. We had a Skype call, then within a day or two was asked to do a series of calls on Skype. There was supposed to be an assignment, but I didn't receive it. Went through the 3 calls with two members of the team and the hiring manager again. Since I didn't receive the assignment, I was given a few days to get it done and have the call/presentation with the hiring manager again. After the presentation, received noticed within 5 days that I wasn't selected.

Interview Questions

• Mostly questions about metrics, data, and providing insights.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Mozilla.

Interview

Two phone interviews about 15 minutes apart. The first interviewer was nice and the process was easy - he mostly asked networking/scripting questions and Big O Analysis. The second interviewer provided a coding problem and sat silent while I coded. I received a bad impression from the second interviewer - he came off condescending. The question wasn't bad and i was able to complete it.

Interview Questions

• Networking Protocols; Shell scripting; Unix; scripting problem   Answer Question