Mozilla Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.1

Sort:

People Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Interview

I submitted my application for this position, and because someone at this company knows my current employer, they contacted my current employer informing them of my application to Mozilla. Needless to say, not only is this extremely unprofessional, it jeopardizes candidates’ standing with their current employer. If these are the antics that candidates experience, I would only imagine that employee experience is far from positive.

Mozilla Response

Mar 21, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to apply for a position at Mozilla.
    Reaching out to anyone’s current employer without consent at the final reference-checking stage of our interview process is not part... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mozilla in October 2013.

Interview

I gave my resume at a career fair and was later contacted for a skype interview. I was then asked about my past experiences and skills, no heavy technical questions. Later called back for a second interview, asked some vague high level questions. Called back for a third interview, no heavy technical questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Mozilla (Mountain View, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me after I was referred by an employee. He asked about what roles I'd be interested in,what the biggest project I'd worked on was. I later received an e-mail saying that I was not going to be a great fit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Mozilla (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me with a position he said I was well qualified for. I responded showing interest in the opportunity. We had an initial phone screen and he said he would have someone from the team call me in the next few days. After two and a half weeks without any contact, I followed up with the recruiter who apologized and said someone would call me the next day. No one called. After another week and a half the recruiter emailed me saying the position had been filled. Despite them sounding extremely interested in me (and reaching out to me, not vice versa) I never once even spoke to anyone on the team. Definitely one of the worst application experiences I've had.

Interview Questions

• They never asked me anything because no one ever bothered to follow through on contacting me.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Mozilla.

Interview

Two phone interviews about 15 minutes apart. The first interviewer was nice and the process was easy - he mostly asked networking/scripting questions and Big O Analysis. The second interviewer provided a coding problem and sat silent while I coded. I received a bad impression from the second interviewer - he came off condescending. The question wasn't bad and i was able to complete it.

Interview Questions

• Networking Protocols; Shell scripting; Unix; scripting problem   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied through their website and received a coding challenge four days after with some conceptual questions and an algorithms question. Mozilla does the coding test through HackerRank and promises a phone interview if you get a passing score. Nothing too difficult, but was rejected with a generic email the week after. No specific feedback in the email.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Mozilla (Mountain View, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Online application through their careers page. I was contacted about 1 week later by HR and had 4 phone interviews over the course of 1 month. 2 technical and 2 regular conversations with management positions.
    After passing those, I was brought in for an onsite interview with 8 individuals over the course of a full day. Half of the interviews were through a video conferencing system Mozilla uses.

The entire process took over 3 months and there were long periods of silence. HR was not responsive and often left me wondering what was going on. Overall, Mozilla is an extremely slow company since half of the employees are remote and communication takes extra time. I noticed there were very few employees under 30 years of age, which I found interesting for a tech company. Even from the interviews, I felt like the company was stuck in a bureaucratic mess where there was a frustration between old and new ways of development.

Two employees during my interview process mentioned that it was extremely hard to create change and bring in ideas since the majority of senior engineers have been at Mozilla for a long period of time and had a set way of doing things. I was a little shocked at how many internal problems seemed to occur at Mozilla.

Many engineers made it clear that working on OSS had many weak points and wanted to make sure I fully understood the drawbacks before considering Mozilla.

Having said all that, I did speak with highly passionate and talented engineers, managers, and directors. Their insights were fascinating and they all seemed excited to be part of the Mozilla organization. They all knew their field very well and held pride in their work. I would say the individuals were great, but the way Mozilla is run at a company level was restricting their capabilities and ideas.

Overall, you would have to be extremely passionate about OSS and user privacy to consider all the negatives accepting all the negatives that come from a company run like Mozilla.

PS: An interesting bit of information I learned from the interviews -- Firefox downloads have been steadily declining for some time now and their main business partner, Yahoo!, is not doing well.

Interview Questions

• Standard technical questions.
      plus:
      Why do you want to work for Mozilla? (everyone asked this)
      What is your development process?
      What is a challenge you had to overcome?
      How would you convince someone to follow your idea?
      What's the best way to revolutionize senior management? How would you bring in new ideas?
      How did you deal with a conflict with another employee?
      How do you feel about engineering in the public?
      Do you have experience with test driven development?
      How do you feel about working remotely?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Mozilla (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

the recruiter emailed me with a hackerrank link, it had 3 questions, 2 coding, 1 mySQL, to be completed in 90 minutes.

The recruiter did not even clarify the limitations and expectations ie how many questions, what languages you're allowed to code in, etc.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mozilla in January 2017.

Interview

Online assessment. 2 programming questions and a few multiple choice. I took the assessment in C++. Brush up on inheritance and data structures specifically.
    Phone interview. I was given a phone interview a few weeks later. Interview was pretty tough but I can't disclose the questions asked. Interviewer seemed to be in a bad mood but was polite. The entire process took about an hour to complete.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Mozilla (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

When I applied I grabbed a book, "Programming Interviews Exposed" to refresh myself on how the process would go. (I hadn't been in the job market for 8 years). Pretty standard developer interview for tech industry: recruiting phone screen, managerial phone screen, 2 phone tech interviews, 6 in-person interviews. The process took a long time, but it wasn't confusing or painful.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to solve a typical tree-sorting problem with a couple different algorithms.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Recruiter asked for a salary point and I gave him a figure that I said would make it an easy decision for me to join. Hiring manager offered a little below, but explained the bonus program would more than make up the total compensation.