NGP VAN Interview Questions | Glassdoor

NGP VAN Interview Questions

Updated Dec 11, 2017

2.8

Sales Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at NGP VAN.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted for a phone screen a couple of weeks later. It went well, the person I spoke to was genuinely interested in my qualifications and the whole thing flowed like a conversation. I was invited to the office for an in-person interview about a week later.

The in-person interview had a similar vibe. I was interviewed mainly by one person who would be my supervisor. However, at the beginning two other people from the team sat in very briefly (like, around 5 minutes) to ask one question apiece and then left. This didn't feel fair to me, as those folks were in the room with me for less than 5 minutes and yet I'm assuming their feedback still counted in the hiring process. If that was supposed to supposed to be some sort of "panel" interview or a gauge of how well I would fit with the rest of the sales team, it was very poorly done. Otherwise, the main interviewer was very friendly and asked questions based mainly on my previous experience.

I was told the next step would be another interview with a higher-up, but I was never contacted for one, so I just moved on. But about a week and a half later, I was abruptly contacted by a company recruiter to provide references. I did provide them, but the company stopped right in the middle of contacting them (as my references informed me) and told me I was no longer being considered for the role. (My references were equally puzzled, as the ones who had been contacted had provided glowing feedback on my behalf.) Strange and unprofessional end to this whole process.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you made a mistake, and how you fixed it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NGP VAN (Washington, DC) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process was really straight forward, first a behavior interview followed by a technical interview. Both interviewers were very friendly and seemed interested in my answers to the questions.

UI Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Somerville, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NGP VAN (Somerville, MA) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied online and had to do two phone screens with different people.

The first one was a technical call and it was straight to the point, no bs. The second one was less technical.

There was a bit of miscommunication setting up the interview time, at no fault of the employer.

I did an in-person interview as well which lasted less than 30 minutes. I actually still don't understand why it ended so quickly or why they bothered to bring me in at all, and I was not given an explanation or response after the interview. I'm certain I was more than capable of doing the work. Maybe they just didn't like my personality.

I'm sure there are good people who work there, but I think they could work on their interview skills, because overall they did not seem very friendly or understanding during the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Phone screen - many short but relevant Javascript, HTML, CSS questions, such as:
      - What is the difference between == and ===
      - String + number type coercion (e.g. what is the result of var x = 9 + '14', the answer being the string '914')
      - What is a javascript closure
      - What does box-sizing do in CSS
      - What is HTML5
      - What are some things that are commonly found in the <head> section of an HTML document   Answer Question
    • In-person interview - I was only asked to make 3 stacked <div> tags collapse into the same place so that only the second one was visible on top.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NGP VAN (Washington, DC) in April 2016.

Interview

I met the recruiter at a job fair 3 weeks ago, emailed my resume a week ago, and was technical phone screened by her a few days ago. The phone screen was through GoToMeeting (you don't need to install it) and consisted of the famous FizzBuzz challenge in a collaborative text editor.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to solve the FizzBuzz challenge in the text editor. The gist of it was, Write a function that prints the integers from 1 to n inclusive, except where n is divisible by 3, by 5, by 15, print these particular characters instead of n.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at NGP VAN (Washington, DC).

Interview

Got a call on the phone from the head of their development department, we talked about my resume and the company. Then he shared his screen to allow me to code on it, and I completed 2 coding questions. I then came in for a longer interview where I met with about 10 people in the company and completed 3 more (much more rigorous) coding questions.

Application

Interview

Had two interviews, both on the phone. First was with a director of their "digital" department. Asked me about my resume then some technical questions (Javascript, OOP). Second interview involved solving two technical problems over the computer while on the phone with the interviewer. They were standard programming exercises. It was a little awkward over the phone but the interviewer was helpful.

Interview Questions

• What are the four defining characteristics of OOP?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at NGP VAN (Washington, DC) in January 2016.

Interview

Did two screen tests and other three tests at an in-person interview. The tests are algorithm problems in which they will analyse the correctness as well as efficiency. Those were good tests overall, except the two last ones, where the problems were more complex and I had one hour to finish. The guys were very impatient and did not wait for me to think through by myself, and they kept giving me hints of the solution algorithm they had. Probably that's why they decided I wasn't good enough. This was actually the only downside of the process.

Sales Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at NGP VAN (Washington, DC) in September 2014.

Interview

Applied online after meeting a current employee through a friend. Received a callback for a brief phone interview after a few days. In-person interview took place within two weeks where I spoke with 5-6 more individuals including managers and VP of Sales. Received an offer shortly thereafter.

Interview Questions

• Did I have any CRM experience?   1 Answer

Client Services Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at NGP VAN.

Interview

It took about two weeks from the time I handed them my resume at a job fair in DC until the initial contact. The first interview went great, so I was very hopeful. This company has lots of great reviews so I wasn't surprised that it went so well. Then I went in for another interview in the office... I was very disappointed when one of the higher-ups that was interviewing me chose to watch TV over my shoulder during the interview. The interview questions felt more prying and less professional and the communication between my first interview and this were definitely off - this guy had no idea who I was and didn't really seem to care about anything I said. I'm pretty sure he asked me "Why are you here again? But really, why do you even want this job?" and when I would give an answer he was more than eager to tell me to "just say 'I don't know' next time." I've never been treated this way in an interview, so I can tell you it was shock to me and unnecessarily blunt for someone watching a soccer game while holding an interview.

I then met with the group of people I would be working with. I didn't think it could get worse, I was trying to stay positive- and then this team began to gosip about former coworkers (using their names) in front of me. "We just want to make sure we all get along. Not like ______ - I just forwarded her emails straight to the trash after two weeks." I can at least admire the fact they were honest about the way the company runs in that they mentioned several times that it's frustrating to have to contact so many people who work out of the office and around the country... they also admitted that their boss (the person who I first interviewed with) was habitually late, hard to contact, and often moved meeting at the last minute most times.

I went in hopeful and I left glad that it went so poorly. At least no one tried to impress me or hide the fact that this company has some internal communications to deal with. I expected a more professional atmosphere but I walked away glad that they made things so clear. They also wanted a two year commitment, so think long and hard and take the huge glaring hints they throw at you.

(See example below)

Interview Questions

• How do you handle a stressful situation or a situation you get angry in?   1 Answer

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Claremont, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at NGP VAN (Claremont, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

It was a while ago but I had two interviews I believe. The first was with on person, a man, and he asked me some pretty basic computer science questions. I answered in Python. The second round was a video interview with several people. I don't think any technical questions were asked but it was more to see if they thought they would get along with me.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to solve a yoda problem so they&#039;d give you a phrase and a number and you had to take the number of words from the phrase and move them to the back (i.e. Yoda(&#034;you are here now&#034;, 2) would output as &#034;here now, you are&#034;   1 Answer