NWEA Interview Questions | Glassdoor

NWEA Interview Questions

Interviews at NWEA

1. Featured Interview

Technical Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at NWEA.

Interview

45 min HR phone screen; 30 min hiring manager call; Two 1 hour onsite panel interviews; In general, the experience was well organized and relaxed. The employees were nice.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when there was a conflict and how did you respond?   1 Answer
    • Tell me what an API is   Answer Question
    • Do you know why they call it a "technical" product manager?   Answer Question
    • Why are you leaving current employer?   Answer Question
    • Connect the dots for me. Your experience as it relates to the role.   Answer Question
    • What aspects of the req are your strengths? Weaknesses?   Answer Question
    • How are you going to deal with frustrating stakeholders? What if they are PhDs?   Answer Question
    • If you are a disciplined, process oriented individual. . . how will you be successful here where it is very chaotic?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a typical day in your current job   Answer Question
    • Clarify your resume -- does title X mean what we think it means?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at NWEA (Portland, OR) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied through website. About two weeks later received an email from their recruiter to set up a time for a phone screen. After the phone screen, she sent me a code sample problem to complete. After the code sample, I had a phone interview with the engineering manager, which consisted of much of the same questions as the first phone screen. Then they had me come in for an on-site interview. This consisted of 5 engineers asking me questions in a conference room. They had me go over my code sample, did a "mob programming" session, and took me out for lunch.

Marketing Interview

Interview

Thanks to an intro from an employee, I was able to skip an initial HR interview and had my first one (via phone) with with the hiring manager. It went really well, I got great feedback from the hiring manager, and I was very excited for the next step, which turned out to be with the VP of the dept, also via phone, with whom I also had a very positive experience. After that, I had two back-to-back interviews of one hour each with groups of 3-4 people. Those were supposed to be in person but due to some extenuating circumstances, they ended up having to be over the phone also.

Both interviews were tough--basically they went around the circle taking turns, asking one question after another, with many of them behavioral or situation types asking for specific scenarios in my past experience. It was a bit awkward in that there were not follow-up questions on whatever subject we were on, but just one unrelated question after another. I will admit I wasn't as prepared as I could have been for so many specific scenario questions pertaining to my past work, but overall I thought I did OK and got a lot of verbal feedback by the interviewers saying things like "good answer" and "excellent" and so on (the exception was with the person who was leaving the role, who was also part of the interview team. I definitely perceived some testiness there in her reactions to my answers.)

After these two group interviews, I was to speak with the hiring manager (HM) again. Before I had a chance to do so (it was scheduled for the next day), the HM sent me an email saying that every single person who had interviewed me didn't have a good impression of me. I was floored! The HM was very surprised too since I had made a very favorable impression on my earlier interviews with both the HM and the VP . But, alas, that was the end of that.

Overall, it was just a weird experience--the HM did give me some specific feedback and details on my "failed" interview with the panels and some of it was completely out of left field--the comments didn't even make sense to me as to what had transpired in the interview. I am self-aware enough to know when I do less than great and while I didn't think it was an A+ interview on my part, it was no where near an F. I can't help but think that there was some internal drama going on there, or maybe one strong personality who influenced the others' perceptions. Who knows?

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you used data to change your plans going forward.   Answer Question

Training Interview

Interview

I had an interview set to speak about a new role with the company. From what I heard about the company, it was a nice approachable company, but I will have to think again. The individual who interviewed me (whom I later found out) would be the person I would have reported to, had no clue about the role. It was for a BA role, but from my understanding you should at least look at other work experience too. This individuals first question was:
    Have you been a BA before?
    Now with such a question how can one decide if you are fit for the role or not. NWEA please do hire qualified individuals, please don't just pick the first candidate who walked through.

Information Technology Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NWEA (Portland, OR) in June 2016.

Interview

Longer interview over the phone with HR, the initial screening took over an hour with HR. Screened for items of knowledge and background in the field. Lightly touched on technical skills and training than had a meeting with CIO over the phone for less than a half hour. That portion was hard to prepare for and felt less structured.

Interview Questions

• Many of HR questions were very standard for the position. The second interview was unclear what they might be looking for, and I ended up asking most of the questions.   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at NWEA (Remote, OR).

Interview

Initial Phone Screening
    Virtual Interview for 2nd and 3rd Rounds
    Panel Interview for Final Round

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at NWEA (Portland, OR).

Interview

3 steps... phone screen with peer, panel interview with peer panel and hiring manager, interview with non-peer stakeholders

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate more pay

Senior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NWEA (Portland, OR) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview process for NWEA is relatively easy and similar to other companies -- at least in terms of the progression of the interviews as well as the questions you are asked. Unfortunately, I had an overall negative experience throughout the interview process due to an unprofessional, and frankly disorganized, HR employee. For the first phone interview, I was scheduled to talk to the HR employee only. She simply did not call me when it came time for the interview. In fact, she did not even respond to my emails (asking why I didn't receive a call) until late morning the following day. To make matters worse, her excuse was that she must not have put the event on her calendar and that she was busy. The lack of professionalism during this event started the interview process off on a very bad note.

I eventually completed a second three-on-one phone interview that was straightforward. About 2 weeks after this phone interview I received an offer from another firm. I contacted this HR employee to see if I was still being considered for this position (since I hadn't heard back about a third interview yet), and she let me know she would get back with me the following day. Three days later, I had still not received an email from her, and because of this, I withdrew myself from consideration from NWEA and accepted the other offer.

Needless to say, I had a very negative experience, and NWEA really needs to fix the problems in their HR department if they want to attract good candidates. The company itself seems like a great place to work. However, l will never apply for a position here again.

Interview Questions

• How would you respond to someone who has a negative view of school assessments (at a social gathering)?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at NWEA (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2019.

Interview

I withdrew from the process because there was no end in sight. I had a phone screen with HR that lasted 1 hour. During this call, she explained the interview process as: Phone call with hiring manager, Phone call with his manager, panel interview, then, possibly an interview with head of sales . Then a phone interview with the hiring manager for 1 hour. From there, he set up four phone calls (interviews) with some of his direct reports. After that, I had a panel interview that included a presentation and sales scenario. I knocked that out of the park, received many compliments. (At this point, I had been interviewed by NINE people, two in person at the panel, and six others joined remotely.)

The hiring manager debriefed with me and explained that I lacked sales experience so it was down to the other candidate's experience and presentation. I was fine with this because I've run into it before. The HM was so impressed with me that he asked if I would work for NWEA in another capacity and I said yes. We kept in touch and nearly two months after the presentation, he contacted me about flying up to Portland to have some "meetings" and to interview with the Sr. VP and VP of Sales. (He was trying to get an additional sales position created.) I was fine with more interviews but a week before, the HM let me know that I'd be presenting twice more. The first was a group of three of his peers and the second was Sr. VP and VP of sales. (This would have put me at 14 people.) AND, the HM was going to go into the presentations/interviews with me, which I thought was odd. After struggling all week to get my head back into presentation mode, I emailed the HM to express my concerns about being told the process would be one way by more than one person and then having it change, His response was telling in more than one way but the bottom line was, it was his call to make and he wasn't saying this would be the final step in the process. He also pushed me into deciding whether I was going through with the interview or not and I opted out at that point. I didn't want to be strung along and trotted out as a show pony in the hopes of getting a job that doesn't even exist, yet.

Advice to HR: OWN the interview process. Don't let hiring managers do whatever they want or their egos will run good candidates away.

Interview Questions

• This position doesn't earn bonuses or commission, are you okay with that?   1 Answer

Software QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NWEA (Portland, OR) in April 2016.

Interview

An hour with the entire team; pleasant people and a great balance of both technical and personal topics. I believe that the interview, with the whole team, is the only reliable form of pre-decision style. This style of interview was instrumental in my decision to accept the offer. I enjoyed it and was challenging.

Interview Questions

• Please write an SQL query to extract the following items from this database's table.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase

Interview

I had an initial phone screen that lasted about 25 minutes. They asked me some questions about my last couple of positions. I was then asked some general office culture and work ethic questions, pretty standard stuff. After I asked a few questions of my own, the interview was over. I called my recruiter and explained to him that while I thought the interview went well, I didn't think there was ANY WAY that could gleen much about my skill set or me from the few questions they asked.

Interview Questions

• What was your greatest accomplishment as a QA Engineer?   Answer Question