NWEA Interview Questions | Glassdoor

NWEA Interview Questions

Interviews at NWEA

Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NWEA (Portland, OR) in August 2020.

Interview

Phone interview. Was told I would be contacted either way, and I received an automated rejection email. Position still posted as actively recruiting. 2 month temp position. No chance for hire. Was told I am overqualified but a good fit.

Interview Questions

• Experience with dashboard creation in Salesforce.   1 Answer

Associate UX Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NWEA.

Interview

Fairly straightforward interview process; one 30-min screening call with the recruiter to go over my background and experience. Then another 30-min interview with a Senior UX Designer to go over more specific UX questions and hear more about the role. The last interview would be onsite, but I was not asked to the final round. They were very upfront about the process, very helpful and kind. I had a great experience even though I didn't get an offer. I wish them the best!

Interview Questions

• Very interested in my experience with designing for accessibility.   Answer Question

Senior Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NWEA (Portland, OR) in January 2020.

Interview

Phone interview, it was not a good fit so we did not proceed to an in person interview. They were very professional and I enjoyed speaking with them. I look forward to a future opening that meets my skills.

Professional Learning Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NWEA (New York, NY) in November 2019.

Interview

Phone interview was very through and extremely detailed. The individual was very thorough about next steps, salary, and benefits. We spoke about the support that is extended to new employees.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at NWEA (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2019.

Interview

I withdrew from the process because there was no end in sight. I had a phone screen with HR that lasted 1 hour. During this call, she explained the interview process as: Phone call with hiring manager, Phone call with his manager, panel interview, then, possibly an interview with head of sales . Then a phone interview with the hiring manager for 1 hour. From there, he set up four phone calls (interviews) with some of his direct reports. After that, I had a panel interview that included a presentation and sales scenario. I knocked that out of the park, received many compliments. (At this point, I had been interviewed by NINE people, two in person at the panel, and six others joined remotely.)

The hiring manager debriefed with me and explained that I lacked sales experience so it was down to the other candidate's experience and presentation. I was fine with this because I've run into it before. The HM was so impressed with me that he asked if I would work for NWEA in another capacity and I said yes. We kept in touch and nearly two months after the presentation, he contacted me about flying up to Portland to have some "meetings" and to interview with the Sr. VP and VP of Sales. (He was trying to get an additional sales position created.) I was fine with more interviews but a week before, the HM let me know that I'd be presenting twice more. The first was a group of three of his peers and the second was Sr. VP and VP of sales. (This would have put me at 14 people.) AND, the HM was going to go into the presentations/interviews with me, which I thought was odd. After struggling all week to get my head back into presentation mode, I emailed the HM to express my concerns about being told the process would be one way by more than one person and then having it change, His response was telling in more than one way but the bottom line was, it was his call to make and he wasn't saying this would be the final step in the process. He also pushed me into deciding whether I was going through with the interview or not and I opted out at that point. I didn't want to be strung along and trotted out as a show pony in the hopes of getting a job that doesn't even exist, yet.

Advice to HR: OWN the interview process. Don't let hiring managers do whatever they want or their egos will run good candidates away.

Interview Questions

• This position doesn't earn bonuses or commission, are you okay with that?   1 Answer

Technical Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at NWEA.

Interview

45 min HR phone screen; 30 min hiring manager call; Two 1 hour onsite panel interviews; In general, the experience was well organized and relaxed. The employees were nice.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when there was a conflict and how did you respond?   1 Answer
    • Tell me what an API is   Answer Question
    • Do you know why they call it a "technical" product manager?   Answer Question
    • Why are you leaving current employer?   Answer Question
    • Connect the dots for me. Your experience as it relates to the role.   Answer Question
    • What aspects of the req are your strengths? Weaknesses?   Answer Question
    • How are you going to deal with frustrating stakeholders? What if they are PhDs?   Answer Question
    • If you are a disciplined, process oriented individual. . . how will you be successful here where it is very chaotic?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a typical day in your current job   Answer Question
    • Clarify your resume -- does title X mean what we think it means?   Answer Question

Postgres Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at NWEA (Portland, OR) in April 2018.

Interview

After a 1 on 1 phone chat with the manager I was invited to a team interview process. Linux was said to be the focus. Interview consisted of listing Acronyms and asking for definitions. Skills test was to make an incomplete postgres install to respond.

Interview Questions

• Define a bunch of Acronyms in common use. RFC, ACID, MVCC, ...
      Type of questions you'd ask a new college grad.   1 Answer
    • The skill test was said to be a simple examination of the db on a laptop vm   1 Answer

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NWEA (Portland, OR) in March 2018.

Interview

Very standard: 1. 30 minutes HR screening by phone, 2. 1 hour interview with a hiring manager at the office and 3. 2 hours group interview at the office. "We moved with a different candidate" a week after the in person interview.

Marketing Interview

Interview

Thanks to an intro from an employee, I was able to skip an initial HR interview and had my first one (via phone) with with the hiring manager. It went really well, I got great feedback from the hiring manager, and I was very excited for the next step, which turned out to be with the VP of the dept, also via phone, with whom I also had a very positive experience. After that, I had two back-to-back interviews of one hour each with groups of 3-4 people. Those were supposed to be in person but due to some extenuating circumstances, they ended up having to be over the phone also.

Both interviews were tough--basically they went around the circle taking turns, asking one question after another, with many of them behavioral or situation types asking for specific scenarios in my past experience. It was a bit awkward in that there were not follow-up questions on whatever subject we were on, but just one unrelated question after another. I will admit I wasn't as prepared as I could have been for so many specific scenario questions pertaining to my past work, but overall I thought I did OK and got a lot of verbal feedback by the interviewers saying things like "good answer" and "excellent" and so on (the exception was with the person who was leaving the role, who was also part of the interview team. I definitely perceived some testiness there in her reactions to my answers.)

After these two group interviews, I was to speak with the hiring manager (HM) again. Before I had a chance to do so (it was scheduled for the next day), the HM sent me an email saying that every single person who had interviewed me didn't have a good impression of me. I was floored! The HM was very surprised too since I had made a very favorable impression on my earlier interviews with both the HM and the VP . But, alas, that was the end of that.

Overall, it was just a weird experience--the HM did give me some specific feedback and details on my "failed" interview with the panels and some of it was completely out of left field--the comments didn't even make sense to me as to what had transpired in the interview. I am self-aware enough to know when I do less than great and while I didn't think it was an A+ interview on my part, it was no where near an F. I can't help but think that there was some internal drama going on there, or maybe one strong personality who influenced the others' perceptions. Who knows?

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you used data to change your plans going forward.   Answer Question

Training Interview

Interview

I had an interview set to speak about a new role with the company. From what I heard about the company, it was a nice approachable company, but I will have to think again. The individual who interviewed me (whom I later found out) would be the person I would have reported to, had no clue about the role. It was for a BA role, but from my understanding you should at least look at other work experience too. This individuals first question was:
    Have you been a BA before?
    Now with such a question how can one decide if you are fit for the role or not. NWEA please do hire qualified individuals, please don't just pick the first candidate who walked through.