NXP Semiconductors Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 19, 2018

2.9

Physical Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NXP Semiconductors (Austin, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

Recruiter and manager were very friendly and communicative. The phone screen and the follow up took about a week and the personal interview was setup a week later and the results took another week. The interview involved 11 people and was a panel interview in groups of 2, for over 4-5hrs. The team was very friendly and I had to decline the offer for personal reasons but it was a very good team to work with.

Interview Questions

• Your work experience in latest technology, design process, tools used, issues seen and how they were resolved   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at NXP Semiconductors (Austin, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

Talked with a recruiter at a career fair and got a call about the interview later that day. The interview was held the next day on campus. Questions were mainly about my background, interests, and projects that I've worked on. There weren't really any hard technical questions. Interviewer was nice and seemed genuinely interested in my answers to the questions.

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NXP Semiconductors (San Jose, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

Phone interview - kind of technical. Ask about how JTAG and I2C physical connection.
    On-Site - Describe how the I2C work, software and hardware wise. Explain how SDIO work. Show how to do strcopy in C.
    Take home - given a MCU starter kit and provide a working C code to demonstrate ability to understand MCU.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at NXP Semiconductors (Houston, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

Was a one to one interview with a fairly senior guy. I had been expecting technical quesitons, but got none of that. Was only asked behavioral questions, ran through my resume and asked followup questions based on what I said. Nothing technical. Asked me some situational questions like how I would handle teams.

Interview Questions

• Can you mention a time when you overcame a failure and how you did so?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NXP Semiconductors.

Interview

After applying online I was contacted by the univesity recruiter for a phone interview. After about 3 weeks I was contacted again to interview with the manager of the department I was applying to work with. During that time the recruiter gave me updates about the timeline. I received an offer about a week after the second phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a diffficult coworker/customer, and how did you resolve the conflict?   Answer Question

Internal Audit Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at NXP Semiconductors (Austin, TX).

Interview

Interviewed with four people from the department. The first started with insults and lies right off the bat and continually checking his phone for the full half hour. I would have stood up and walked out after about five minutes except that I was working with an external recruiter and did not want to burn that bridge. The remaining three interviewers were nothing but pleasant. However, I would not have accepted an offer even if one had been extended.

Interview Questions

• Various technical questions. Personality fit questions.   Answer Question

CAD Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NXP Semiconductors.

Interview

Technical interviewers were easy going, they would give you hints or lead you if you have no clue. Asked about hardware test related questions, include what to test, how to test, what could be reasons if result is not as expected. Require basic knowledge about circuit schematic diagram, wireless communication transceiver diagram, noise figure, link budget calculation, sensitivity, testing equipment (e.g. VNA, Spectrum analyzer, etc.), basic C++ or C#

Undergrad Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NXP Semiconductors.

Interview

The questions were related to resume . The interviewer mainly asked about projects done during graduate and undergraduate studies. The position was for an undergrad student and hardly did he ask any technical questions.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at NXP Semiconductors (San Jose, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

Worked through their recruiter. They were excited by my experience and skills. After hours of initial phone screening they flew me from east coast for 2 full days of interviews in Washington state and Silicon Valley. I wasn't at all what the interviewers wanted or expected in respect to experience and skills. Interviewing was stressful, harsh, and at times rude. A complete waste of my time and their money. Where was the disconnect? I represented myself 100% accurately, had long phone screenings where all of my strengths and weaknesses were put on the table before being flown out. The worst interviewer (most senior manager I interviewed with) actually reprimanded and scolded me in a harsh tone of voice for not have some specific skills "that every engineer who wants to work in the valley must have" - this gentleman was extremely rude and obviously had no sense how to treat other human beings with respect and decency. Almost everyone had the "We are the great NXP, bow before us" attitude. Makes even good engineers feel very low in an interview.

Interview Questions

• I don't have enough time to write them all, nor would anyone have the time to read them. Two full days of interviewing me with questions about technical areas not on my resume, and that I said I didn't have or had little of during the phone screenings. Did they do this just for the sadistic enjoyment of it, or what? I still haven't been able to figure it out.   1 Answer

Technical Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at NXP Semiconductors (Chandler, AZ) in June 2015.

Interview

Three phone interviews with one HR recruiter, one hiring manager, one future colleague respectively followed by one on one interviews with the hiring manager and the future colleague respectively. After the one on one interview, I had a short talk with the director.