Nature Publishing Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 4, 2017

3.2

Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Nature Publishing Group (New York, NY).

Interview

Spoke to the Chief Editor of the journal on the phone. Completed a written exercise including assessing recent papers published in the journal, pitching topics for reviews, and suggesting improvements for the journal. Was promptly invited for an interview and promptly offered the job after the interview. Interview consisted of a manuscript test, and several informal meetings and discussions with other editors. Salary offer was much lower than initially suggested by the Chief Editor, and negotiations were very tough. Very short time frame for entire negotiation process.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were drilling down on the manuscript test and defending my answers. What if the authors had done an additional experiment, then would you accept? Etc.   Answer Question

Assistant Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Nature Publishing Group (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

It was a long-winded process, with about a month between the first and second interview. It was pretty standard stuff. They are in the midst of a merger right now and they were very good about being up front with the information that they had regarding the merger process, which was very little, but I liked that they were transparent.

Circulation Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Nature Publishing Group (New York, NY).

Interview

Be prepared to possible take a test for the position you are seeking. Bring examples of your accomplishments

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate however if you are skilled at it. Go for it.

Assistant Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Nature Publishing Group (New York, NY) in May 2013.

Interview

Standard editing test, you have to demonstrate that you know your field and have good editorial skills. You will be given a scientific paper to review and you will have to describe your area of expertise. They are generally looking to fill specific needs in a team owing to someone leaving. So they may need an immunologist with an excellent genetics background, for example.

Interview Questions

• Key hot topics in my field of research, thought leaders, vision for where the field is going.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nature Publishing Group.

Interview

Had 3 interviews. People are nice and I recommend you be yourself.

Interview Questions

• Questions were not difficult - tell me about yourself and your work experiences, why do you want to work in HR, etc...the general interview questions   Answer Question

Senior Sales Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nature Publishing Group (New York, NY) in May 2011.

Interview

First I met with one person for the first round. After that I met with 2 more people at the second interview including the first one that interviewed me. Second interview lasted almost 3 hours.

Interview Questions

• What are some difficulties do you expect to have in this position   Answer Question

Editor Interview

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Nature Publishing Group in February 2009.

Interview

The first show of interest was quick, but then it dragged on. I must not have been exactly who they were looking for, which is fine. I felt very uncomfortable (personality clash?) during the interview. It is worth remembering that at the same time they are interviewing you, you are also interviewing them. HR was very helpful.

Assistant Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Nature Publishing Group (New York, NY) in July 2007.

Interview

Interview was very well-organized. Interviewed with different members of the group I would be working with, which gave me a good sense of the group dynamics, and what went on on a day-to-day basis. Skills tests pertaining to editing skills, prioritization skills, and an excel assessment. Contacted me with their decision in a timely manner.

Copy Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nature Publishing Group.

Interview

A couple weeks after sending my CV and cover letter I was sent a shortened manuscript to copy edit. A couple weeks after that I was invited to interview. I was only given 48 hours notice, making it quite difficult to schedule seeing as I am already employed. Fine, whatever. The interview lasted approximately 2.5 hours. An hour of that was an editing test. The interviewers (there were 3) were amiable enough and relatively easy to talk to. However, after the interview I never heard from them again. A follow-up e-mail went unanswered. I found this odd and, frankly, pretty rude. I suspect I may have dodged a bullet there.

Interview Questions

• Google "top 10 interview questions" and prepare for those. They seemed particularly interested in how you prioritise tasks and work to deadlines, which makes sense.   Answer Question

Associate Copyeditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Nature Publishing Group (London, England (UK)) in May 2016.

Interview

Sub editing test which took approx 3 hours then 2 hour interview at offices in london. Interviewed by two subeditors, then their boss and then HR. They were all very nice people and the interview questions were fairly standard

Interview Questions

• What have I recently read in Nature/ papers in my field that I found interesting   Answer Question