Next Century Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 15, 2018

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Next Century in January 2017.

Interview

Initially contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. Did my research right here on Glassdoor because I had never heard of the company. Everything I found was overwhelmingly positive about the company (work/life balance, satisfaction with leadership, etc.) - so after some back and forth with the recruiter, I was sent a technical coding assessment to complete. After completing it, I turned it in to the company who assessed that it was good enough to come in for the real interview.

If you come out for the real interview, be prepared for a grind. The entire interview process is at least four hours. However, this is a small company and you will be interviewing with future potential team members all the way up the CFO, COO, and CEO.

That the company's leadership was involved in the process is actually what sold me in the first place. These people deeply believe in what they do, and they're looking for employees with passion, integrity, and character. Come prepared to show off your technical chops, but also come prepared to answer curve-ball questions requiring introspective answers. More importantly, come with your own questions - they want to know that *you* care.

In all, the entire interview process was amazing. They sincerely care - it is a culture and environment unlike anything I have yet experienced.

Interview Questions

• Whiteboard coding problems. Nothing insanely difficult, but the questions often required redoing previous code. The questions start simple, and build in complexity. Take your time and think carefully about the code.   Answer Question

Feb 27, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your candor! We are ecstatic that you have decided to accept your offer to join Next Century!

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Next Century (Columbia, MD) in February 2016.

Interview

I had a ~1 hour phone screening with a recruiter to get a feel of the company and culture. This went well so I was invited for an in-person interview.

The interview took 1 day (I had the option of breaking it up into 2 days) -
    1) Technical Interview: Lasted about 2 hours (lunch was provided). Covered all languages listed on my resume as well as some pseudo code and questions on a white board.
    2) HR Interview: ~15-30 minutes. We thoroughly covered my work history and went over the benefits employees are offered.
    3) Leadership interviews: Met 1-on-1 with the Vice President, Chief Operating Officer, and President/CEO for 15-30 minutes each. Questions were mainly focused on my personal and professional goals and to see if I would be a good fit in this high-performing culture.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions covered fundamentals of most languages listed on my resume. Leadership questions covered goals and whether I would be a good fit for the company.   Answer Question

Dec 1, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for the detailed review...you surely highlighted the key points of our interview process and we are happy you had a positive experience!

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Next Century (Columbia, MD) in November 2015.

Interview

The interview process consisted of five steps.
    1. Met with two developers for a technical Interview, this including writing pseudo code on a dry erase board.
    2. Met with HR, I got a general idea on how the company works. Also talked about why I was currently in the job market.
    3. Met with the COO, talked mostly about my interests both personal and professional. Got a good idea on the history of the company.
    4. Met with the CEO, nice to see the CEO takes interest in the interview process.
    5. Security adviser, went through the security clearance process as well as to how likely and easily it would be for me to acquire one.

Interview Questions

• Technical:
      A basic table layout for a relational database (people and their relatives)
      Java questions, recursion and for loops lots of them.   1 Answer

Dec 1, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your transparency and detail in your review!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Falls Church, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Next Century (Falls Church, VA) in April 2017.

Interview

First got an email from a recruiter about an offer after he found me on LinkedIn. I talked over the phone just to get a sense of who I was. After I "passed" that I moved onto the onsite interview. Technical Interview followed (psuedo-code and concepts) by "Personal" Interviews in one sitting to see if your make a good fit to the company.

Interview Questions

• Q: Asked about stuff you coded in the past if you link a github account. They review your profile THOROUGHLY (which I think is really cool), so if used a concept/technique in one of your repositories it is fair game to be asked about.   1 Answer
    • Q: Asked to write code (language of choice) based on the Fibonacci Sequence and explain why you used a technique over others to write your program.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Next Century.

Interview

For the most part, the interview process was well run. I did a short coding exercise and then got called in for an interview. They asked me to wear a suit for a dev interview which was a little weird since everyone there was business casual at most, but not a huge deal. I also had a mixup where I thought that the interview was at a different time, but they worked with me to make sure the interview still happened. The whiteboard questions were simple algorithm coding problems. I spoke with six different people throughout that time, which gave me the impression that they were thorough in covering all aspects of your persona.

The only issue I had was that everyone I spoke to at one point went in to how great the founder of the company was and how important the company's mission was to saving lives. I'm sure there is some truth to both of those points, but it came off as almost cult-like, especially considering they have a perfect 5.0 on here. Something is a little fishy. I don't know, maybe the company really is perfect...

Interview Questions

• How do you handle when a project goes over deadline?
      Fibonacci   Answer Question

Nov 14, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

We appreciate the time you took to get to know Next Century and share your experiences. Best to you in your search.

Anonymous Employee in Falls Church, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Next Century (Falls Church, VA) in March 2017.

Interview

Had initial phone screen with recruiter to briefly discuss work experience, learn more about the company, as well as the interview process. Afterwards, I was given a technical assessment. Once my code was reviewed, I was granted an on site interview. The on site interview lasted about 3-4 hours and included a technical interview with 2 software engineers that included whiteboard coding problems, interviews with the COO, CEO, VP, and VP of Administrations to discuss my long term goals and whether or not I was a fit for their work culture. The recruiter did a great job with keeping me in the loop. Overall, it was a great experience.

Interview Questions

• Algorithm/Data Structure/OOP whiteboard problems.   1 Answer

Apr 7, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

We love receiving employee referrals and are excited to have you join us!

Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Next Century (Annapolis, MD) in March 2017.

Interview

I had to send in a technical assessment that demonstrated object oriented programming knowledge. The next round was a technical interview which they gave me the option of doing in person or over video. The final round was a one on one with their leadership which they also gave me the option of doing in person or over video. My recruiter was very helpful and responsive every step of the way! Interviewing with Next Century was a pleasure.

Interview Questions

• How did you find out about Next Century?
      What is your destiny?
      Are you a US Citizen?
      Questions related to the technical assessment such as:
      Tell me about the data collection you used?
      Why did you do/use this?   Answer Question

Apr 7, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

We're glad you had a positive experience interviewing with us and are happy you have decided to come on board!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Falls Church, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Next Century (Falls Church, VA) in November 2016.

Interview

Very pleasant. Started with a phone screen. Then brought in for a full day of interviewing with various members of the company. A good mix of technical, behavioral, and non traditional questions.

Interview Questions

Next Century Response

Feb 27, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

We appreciate your feedback!

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Annapolis Junction, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Next Century (Annapolis Junction, MD) in September 2016.

Interview

Interview was overall a good experience. I wrote a short technical assessment and once it was reviewed I was called for an on-site interview. I was told that I would go through the code for the technical assessment together with two engineers and then if there was time I would do whiteboard problems. However, neither of them had even seen my code, and was not given a chance to talk about it at all. I did nothing but whiteboard problems for two hours, so that was pretty standard. Make sure your solutions not only work, but are also fully optimized.

Interview Questions

• Name one technology outside of school and work that you used.   1 Answer

Dec 1, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your feedback! The coding assessment or work sample review is the first official step to our interview process. We ask candidates to complete the coding assessment or provide work... More

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Next Century.

Interview

The interview process took about 3+ weeks and required a programming assessment based on the given specifications. After completing the assessment and upon hearing that my solution was acceptable, I was offered an interview with the technical lead for my potential project.

Interview Questions

• We talked about my education and schooling, discussed skills, programming languages, and my current projects involving web development. We also reviewed my program assessment solution and the problem solving steps needed to complete it as well.   Answer Question

Dec 1, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your feedback!