Next Century Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 4, 2018

3.2

1. Featured Interview

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Next Century in January 2017.

Interview

Initially contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. Did my research right here on Glassdoor because I had never heard of the company. Everything I found was overwhelmingly positive about the company (work/life balance, satisfaction with leadership, etc.) - so after some back and forth with the recruiter, I was sent a technical coding assessment to complete. After completing it, I turned it in to the company who assessed that it was good enough to come in for the real interview.

If you come out for the real interview, be prepared for a grind. The entire interview process is at least four hours. However, this is a small company and you will be interviewing with future potential team members all the way up the CFO, COO, and CEO.

That the company's leadership was involved in the process is actually what sold me in the first place. These people deeply believe in what they do, and they're looking for employees with passion, integrity, and character. Come prepared to show off your technical chops, but also come prepared to answer curve-ball questions requiring introspective answers. More importantly, come with your own questions - they want to know that *you* care.

In all, the entire interview process was amazing. They sincerely care - it is a culture and environment unlike anything I have yet experienced.

Interview Questions

• Whiteboard coding problems. Nothing insanely difficult, but the questions often required redoing previous code. The questions start simple, and build in complexity. Take your time and think carefully about the code.   Answer Question

Feb 27, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your candor! We are ecstatic that you have decided to accept your offer to join Next Century!

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Next Century.

Interview

There were a few steps, in this order: phone call from recruiter, completing a take home assignment, an in-person interview at their office in a conference room with series of people

Interview Questions

• How would you re-design this site (given as a take-home assignment)?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Next Century.

Interview

For the most part, the interview process was well run. I did a short coding exercise and then got called in for an interview. They asked me to wear a suit for a dev interview which was a little weird since everyone there was business casual at most, but not a huge deal. I also had a mixup where I thought that the interview was at a different time, but they worked with me to make sure the interview still happened. The whiteboard questions were simple algorithm coding problems. I spoke with six different people throughout that time, which gave me the impression that they were thorough in covering all aspects of your persona.

The only issue I had was that everyone I spoke to at one point went in to how great the founder of the company was and how important the company's mission was to saving lives. I'm sure there is some truth to both of those points, but it came off as almost cult-like, especially considering they have a perfect 5.0 on here. Something is a little fishy. I don't know, maybe the company really is perfect...

Interview Questions

• How do you handle when a project goes over deadline?
      Fibonacci   Answer Question

Nov 14, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

We appreciate the time you took to get to know Next Century and share your experiences. Best to you in your search.

Front Desk Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Annapolis Junction, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Next Century (Annapolis Junction, MD) in August 2017.

Interview

They have a recruiter (mine was Katie Casey) call you after submitting your application. They schedule a time for you to come in and then meet with some current employees. I had the facilities and admin team in my interview as well as the previous receptionist. Then, I met with the managers. I actually did not meet the CEO until I started, he had a busy schedule but he is one of my favorite parts about the company.

Interview Questions

• A lot of situational questions. For example, what would you do if this happened? A hint:
      What's your destiny??   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Falls Church, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Next Century (Falls Church, VA) in April 2017.

Interview

First got an email from a recruiter about an offer after he found me on LinkedIn. I talked over the phone just to get a sense of who I was. After I "passed" that I moved onto the onsite interview. Technical Interview followed (psuedo-code and concepts) by "Personal" Interviews in one sitting to see if your make a good fit to the company.

Interview Questions

• Q: Asked about stuff you coded in the past if you link a github account. They review your profile THOROUGHLY (which I think is really cool), so if used a concept/technique in one of your repositories it is fair game to be asked about.   1 Answer
    • Q: Asked to write code (language of choice) based on the Fibonacci Sequence and explain why you used a technique over others to write your program.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Next Century (Annapolis, MD) in March 2017.

Interview

I had to send in a technical assessment that demonstrated object oriented programming knowledge. The next round was a technical interview which they gave me the option of doing in person or over video. The final round was a one on one with their leadership which they also gave me the option of doing in person or over video. My recruiter was very helpful and responsive every step of the way! Interviewing with Next Century was a pleasure.

Interview Questions

• How did you find out about Next Century?
      What is your destiny?
      Are you a US Citizen?
      Questions related to the technical assessment such as:
      Tell me about the data collection you used?
      Why did you do/use this?   Answer Question

Apr 7, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

We're glad you had a positive experience interviewing with us and are happy you have decided to come on board!

Anonymous Employee in Falls Church, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Next Century (Falls Church, VA) in March 2017.

Interview

Had initial phone screen with recruiter to briefly discuss work experience, learn more about the company, as well as the interview process. Afterwards, I was given a technical assessment. Once my code was reviewed, I was granted an on site interview. The on site interview lasted about 3-4 hours and included a technical interview with 2 software engineers that included whiteboard coding problems, interviews with the COO, CEO, VP, and VP of Administrations to discuss my long term goals and whether or not I was a fit for their work culture. The recruiter did a great job with keeping me in the loop. Overall, it was a great experience.

Interview Questions

• Algorithm/Data Structure/OOP whiteboard problems.   1 Answer

Apr 7, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

We love receiving employee referrals and are excited to have you join us!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Falls Church, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Next Century (Falls Church, VA) in November 2016.

Interview

Very pleasant. Started with a phone screen. Then brought in for a full day of interviewing with various members of the company. A good mix of technical, behavioral, and non traditional questions.

Interview Questions

Next Century Response

Feb 27, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

We appreciate your feedback!

SoftwareSummer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Annapolis Junction, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Next Century (Annapolis Junction, MD) in October 2016.

Interview

Was required to complete a miniature project to demonstrate basic OOP abilities prior to interview. Within a week of submission, I was asked to come in for an on-site interview. The facility was beautiful. I spoke with the head of HR for a brief amount of time, then proceeded into a conference room where I was offered the option of using a keyboard instead of a whiteboard to program. Prior to actually asking me programming-related questions, we reviewed the code that I had previously submitted. I was allowed the opportunity to address concerns they had had.

Interview Questions

Next Century Response

Feb 27, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your feedback!

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Annapolis Junction, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Next Century (Annapolis Junction, MD) in September 2016.

Interview

Interview was overall a good experience. I wrote a short technical assessment and once it was reviewed I was called for an on-site interview. I was told that I would go through the code for the technical assessment together with two engineers and then if there was time I would do whiteboard problems. However, neither of them had even seen my code, and was not given a chance to talk about it at all. I did nothing but whiteboard problems for two hours, so that was pretty standard. Make sure your solutions not only work, but are also fully optimized.

Interview Questions

• Name one technology outside of school and work that you used.   1 Answer

Dec 1, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your feedback! The coding assessment or work sample review is the first official step to our interview process. We ask candidates to complete the coding assessment or provide work... More