Next Jump Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 15, 2017

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Next Jump (Boston, MA) in October 2017.

Interview

I met them at a career fair in school. Received a phone call at 8 pm same day, asking me for my availability for the next day for a phone screen(Friday). I gave them a time window and was told that someone will reach out to confirm the details. Did not hear back. Received another call on Monday, this time 8:15 pm(getting weird), asking for availability for an on-site interview. He just said see you at x time on y day. No email confirmation, no contact details, no address to report to.
    I still gave them the benefit of doubt and went on-site. No one at the reception, no way to get in the office. 5 minutes later a guy happens to pass by and opens the door for me, I tell him I'm here for an interview(but I had no name to ask for). He goes in, comes back after 2 minutes asking me if I was interviewing for a dev-ops position, which I had to correct. Waited for another 10 minutes for the first interviewer to arrive.
    Marketing team member comes in for a behavioral round, really decent person, had a great conversation. Finally, I was feeling positive. In the end, he says let me call someone from the dev-ops team for your next round(red flag again). I had to correct him too, that I am interviewing for a SW Engg. position and he said my resume had a note from HR mentioning dev-ops. Clearly, they were not prepared, neither did they remember who they have called in on what day. Reason- no formal confirmation emails.
    Technical member comes in next, hands me over a list of 10 questions, mix of HTML, Javascript, PHP and starts playing with his phone. Very basic questions. I did not do awesome, which I really should have to be honest. Asked him a couple questions in the end, and whom can I contact to check back on my interview status. He said we will reach out if you clear the 2 rounds(he didn't want to give me an email id, why so private?). Never heard back from them, did not feel like following up. Wouldn't want to work for such a company, who doesn't value the candidates time, and is not serious about interviewing.
    WHY DOES THE COMPANY BOAST SO MUCH ABOUT CULTURE AND VALUING IT'S EMPLOYEES WHEN IT CANNOT RESPECT PROSPECTIVE CANDIDATES?

Interview Questions

• How would you create a 3D array in Javascript
      Explain GET, PUT, POST request types
      Basic jQuery questions   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

Interview

I applied through career fair at Northeastern University in October 2017. Received call for an on-site interview the same day in the evening for 2.30PM next day(Friday)! Never asked me for my availability and they wanted me go to to their Cambridge office on a 16-hour notice. I politely asked them if they can schedule it for the next week as I am busy on Friday. I also told them that I can do a Skype interview if that sounds good. After a couple of back and forth emails, they were flexible and gracious enough to accommodate my need and scheduled a Skype interview with Victor Lin. Mr. Victor called me at the appointed time on my mobile phone because there were some technical issues with his skype. We hopped on some algorithmic questions and he asked me about my resume and experience. Finally he asked me if I had questions for him. I asked him about the next steps- and he told me that somebody will be getting back to me soon. It has been over a month and three follow up emails, but I am yet to hear from them.

The key takeaways are-
    1. NextJump set me up for an interview randomly without asking for my schedule.
    2. They were flexible and scheduled it on Skype for me.
    3. Throughout the process I was contacted by a 'software developer'. So I am assuming that their devs double up as HR folks. Cost-cutting maybe?
    4. Their devs are not trained for HR related stuff. They set up interviews randomly and then forget to get back to you later on.
    5. Yes, it has been over a month since I last heard from them! Follow-up emails to the dev who contacted me have not been responded to. Atleast give me a 'reject', maybe?
    6. In short- highly unprofessional team wearing multiple hats and messing up everything in between.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Next Jump (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

1 hour (culture +business) interview +super long 11 hours Super Saturday with two skills tests, two team challenges and 1 business interview. They give you instant feedback two times during the day and ask you to reflect on the feedback.

Interview Questions

• What are some qualities of successful leadership?   1 Answer

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Next Jump (Boston, MA) in October 2017.

Interview

I got in contact with Next Jump through my school's computer science department. I had a brief phone interview, then an onsite. The onsite interview consisted of two rounds, a behavioral and a technical.

Interview Questions

• They had me white board code the HTML of a website. They emphasized knowing the correct HTML tags.   Answer Question

Full Stack Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Next Jump (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

Lengthy and thorough but enjoyable. A team challenge followed by 2 technical (multiple choice and then coding) quizzes. Then another team challenge followed by an HR interview. All meals are served. They give you a feedback on the way you performed on your team challenges which is helpful. Not sure that the feedback is thorough though.

Interview Questions

• Why NextJump? How do you deal with conflict in a group?   Answer Question

Full Stack Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Next Jump (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

The interview process was pretty smooth. Two interviewers did it for half an hour each. First one was about the basic technique about full stack. Another one was all about how you felt about your self, how you solved problem, and why you were suitable.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Next Jump (Boston, MA) in March 2017.

Interview

1. On-campus interview, 30 mins technical interview, 30 mins behavior interview
    2. Super Saturday
        1st round technical interview - 45 mins about 40 choices questions
        2nd round technical interview - 12 coding questions (HTML, CSS, JS, PHP, SQL)
        3 rounds behavior interviews - talk to Next Jumpers
        Team Challenge - form a team to solve a problem, mine was a business case study.
    3. follow up interview

Interview Questions

• Design database, Design patterns, SQL, PHP, HTML, CSS, JS   Answer Question

Front-End Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Next Jump in March 2017.

Interview

Applied through university career fair.
    Next day on campus interview. Then called for super Saturday event. The event was quite well organized. However it's too long like from morning till late evening. The technical questions are simple, the cultural interview is some what puzzling cause you never get proper feedback of it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Next Jump (Boston, MA) in March 2017.

Interview

1st Round: Campus interview (Basic PHP, JavaScript, Web-Site Architecture, SQL and behavioural).
    2nd Round (Super Saturday): an On-site interview that goes on an entire day. 2 Rounds of technical interview and 3 rounds of behavioural interviews followed up with a team challenge. Meals are provided on the day of the interview. Overall day is quite hectic.

Interview Questions

• Technical:
      Close Book:
      1.) Basic CSS Questions: properties of elements.
      2.) JavaScript: If it's loosely typed? Basic questions of code snippet if they will work.
      3.) PHP: Code Snippets like associative arrays, loops, increment and decrement operations, Regular expressions etc.
      4.) SQL: Basic SQL queries with joins, ORDER BY, ASC and DESC etc

Open Book challenges: debug code for given outputs. CSS: position, overflow of divs, JavaScript: onclick CSS change challenges, PHP: indexed to associative arrays, SQL: SQL queries with JOINS and ORDER BY using alias etc.

Remember the first round you may lose some time as the computer does not boot quickly. They won't provide extra time due to this and you will end up not completing the entire round.

Behavioural: the Greatest success of your life, Greatest regret of your life, have you put your success over others, why are you a good fit for this company, what do you like about this company, what are your hobbies, How do you come over failures, about yourself (not professional intro but rather personal introduction)

Team Challange: Different for everyone.   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Next Jump in March 2017.

Interview

I meet them in school career fair. After resume process, I was asked for a phone interview. The next process after the phone interview was tiring. I had to email them and follow up with them twice because they were slow on email replies or giving answers.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about big-O questions and also a coding knowledge about Stacks and Queues.   Answer Question