Novogradac & Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 28, 2017

2.7

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Novogradac & Company (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Talked to a recruiter at career fair and got an interview a week later. Took 1 week to get back to me after the in office interview. Pretty straight forward interview. 2 rounds with 2 people per interview. Asked 5 year plan and why novogradac.

Interview Questions

• What do you think will be your biggest challenge when you start working?   Answer Question

Audit Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Novogradac & Company.

Interview

Dress in business attire! Interview consist of meeting the partners, HR, and staff. They will ask questions about your work experience, job difficulties incurred during last job, what your interests are inside and out of work. Be prepared to know the company inside and out and have several questions regarding the position.

Interview Questions

• What is your approach to handing difficult situations with coworkers or clients?   Answer Question

Staff Accountant Interview

Interview

Three steps, the last one being a few face-to-face interviews. Really it that bad! Everyone here is so friendly! After you have the face to face interviews, you will wait a few weeks and hopefully get a phone call with an offer. If you express interest then they will write up a real offer and receive it over email.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared, they ask you general accounting questions. Particularly tax related.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Novogradac & Company (Boston, MA) in December 2016.

Interview

The initial phone screening was very pleasant and calm. This is actually where I learned that I'd have to take a semester off of school for this internship since it would be a full time position. My interviewer was very understanding about the fact that I would have to consult my school before deciding to go forward with the process.
    A couple days later I had decided to go for it and she set up an in person interview for me at the office closest to me.
    The interview was set up in 3 different rounds, with 2 people in each round (beginning with staff accountants, then seniors, then a supervisor and manager). We talked about my previous work experience a little, but mostly about what I was learning in my accounting classes. They asked me some standard technical questions, things you would learn in your first college accounting class (debits, credits, depreciation, GAAP). By the second and third round, things got pretty repetitive.
    The overall vibe was casual yet professional, and I felt welcomed yet not very pressured in the interview. It definitely helps to come prepared, though. Learn your background information about the company. Come prepared with questions about the position, this way you can engage in a conversation about it and seem genuinely interested (as you should be anyways--general interview tips). Great experience and I received the offer just two days after the interview!

Audit/Tax Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Novogradac & Company.

Interview

I applied online and received a call the next day to confirm that I was interested in the position and that I would be able to travel to the office. After speaking on the phone for just a few minutes, I was invited in for an interview. The interview was mostly conversational, I wasn't actually asked anything other than tell me a little bit about your resume, but after getting through the first two things, the conversation had turned to more about the office. The interviewer talked for about 45 minutes and then proceeded to give me a tour. During the interview there was another person sitting directly beside us speaking VERY loudly on the phone. It was extremely distracting, and she was rude to one person which I found surprising for her to do in front of someone who is interviewing.

There was also a basic accounting quiz on depreciation. The most difficult part of the it was that he said it is very basic and covered in the first accounting class. That part confused me, as I wasn't sure if I was actually supposed to use the straight line method that was taught in my first accounting class, or if I was supposed to use the correct and certainly more complicated method that I could tell was supposed to be used for the various items being depreciated.

Based on the tour, I definitely would agree with the hire and fire for busy season. It was even mentioned to some degree by the interviewer. I was told how many people worked at the office, yet there was only about 30% of that number at the office. I was also told that the staff isn't really allowed to go visit clients, so it's not possible that's what they were doing.

The interviewer was extremely friendly, but I was also told I would hear back within one week, regardless of the outcome. After a week and a half, I was emailed and told that they still hadn't made the decision. One and half weeks after that, I emailed them to find out when I could expect an answer. Two weeks later, I was told that I was the back up option in case the first person doesn't accept. I don't know why on earth you would tell someone that they aren't the first choice and then actually believe that they would accept the offer, especially if the answer came a full month after it was supposed to.

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Novogradac & Company (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Perhaps mine was a little informal. Submitted my application and received a call the next day. Went in for an interview the next week. Got an offer within 2 days. Casual conversations with three different seniors. No technical questions. Mainly talked about work life balance.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Novogradac & Company (Cleveland, OH) in September 2016.

Interview

I thought that the interview was fairly easy and the people were very personable. If this is a field within accounting that you are interested in I would highly recommend them. The staff seems young and full of energy.

Interview Questions

• What are your pros and cons?   1 Answer

Tax/Audit Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Novogradac & Company (Cleveland, OH) in September 2016.

Interview

After I applied online for the tax/audit intern position I received a phone call from HR for a brief phone screen. I then had a phone call with a staff accountant. I then went in for an in person meeting with three levels of staff and received an office tour.

Event Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Novogradac & Company (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I had a phone interview with an internal recruiter. The call started with recruiter introducing herself, and explaining how the call will go. She said she will ask me 5 questions. From her introduction, to the 5 questions I can tell she was reading from a script. After the 5 questions, she asked 5 more additional questions. The call lasted for 45 minutes. Recruiter was very cold, and scripted.

A day later I received a follow-up from recruiter saying I made it to the next round - an in-person interview with internal recruiter herself, Marketing Director, and Events and Event Project Manager. Per recruiter's email, the on-site interview in the SF office will start with meeting the recruiter herself, then meet with Marketing Director and Event Project Manager.

The internal recruiter never met with me nor even greeted me. I had to ask the Marketing Director, Events if I was supposed to meet with internal recruiter first as stated in the email. Marketing Director, Events thought I had already met with internal recruiter. She had to leave room to figure out the schedule. It was very disorganized!

In the end, I never received a follow-up from internal recruiter. I sent several follow-up emails to internal recrutier, and she always responded with "let me check with the Marketing Director, Events." Never heard anything. Would have been nice to receive an email or phone call kindly declining me a position rather than radio silence.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths? What are your weaknesses?   1 Answer

Staff Accountant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Novogradac & Company in August 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Spoke with their internal recruiter on the phone. Casual phone conversation with simple questions about my resume. Invited to the in-office interview. I was given a schedule of the interview with the names of the people I would meet.

The in-office interview was with three different teams to see who I would fit best with. Also included going out to lunch with a manager and partner. Very relaxed and friendly people who asked me primarily behavioral questions. Was given an offer the same day.

VERY unprofessional when it came to negotiating the offer. WARNING: From my short time interacting with people from the firm, it seems the negatives that other reviews have brought out are true.

1) Below average pay. Their offer was below what I would think would be offered to someone straight from college and below the Glassdoor average (I already had 1+ years of experience and am a CPA). While researching them, I found details about a CPA bonus, which was not offered to me.

2) HR will be very aggressive to find out your previous salary. In addition, HR will refuse to negotiate and continue to sweet talk you and try to persuade you to take their offer.

3) It seems that they were understaffed at the time I visited the office. The office was extremely empty, which confirms their hire and fire strategy to make it by during busy season. During the interview, I also heard mentions of the amount of excessive amount of interns they hire.

4) The staff who were present during my visit seemed extremely deflated. I did not get a single smile when I met eyes with someone. Office was dead silent and destitute.

5) They do not have any SEC (public) clients. Therefore, the experience you gain here will not directly translate if you desire to move on in the future. Also the niches that they work in (low-income housing and renewable energy) are not ideal industries for future prospects.

Interview Questions

• Are you eligible to sit for the CPA exam?   1 Answer