OnDeck Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Coordinator, Talent Partnerships Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at OnDeck (Denver, CO) in December 2018.

Interview

The process took about two weeks, I had a phone screen with the recruitment manager, who was great at explaining the position and company, and scheduled an in-person interview for later that week. The on-site interview went well, I had four rounds of interviews, the first round in-person, the following two were virtual, and ended with an in-person. I was given a tour of the office at the beginning and the end. There were some technical issues during the virtual interviews, which made understanding the questions a little difficult, but overall it ran smoothly.
    The interview questions weren’t anything too difficult, mostly revolving around my previous experience and work ethic/culture. All of the interviewers gave me plenty of opportunity to ask any questions I had and they were all easy to get along with. A few days later I had a final virtual interview with three employees in the New York office. Overall, I had a great interview process, everyone was quick to respond and help.

Interview Questions

• How are some ways that you provide an excellent candidate experience?   Answer Question

OnDeck Response

Jan 29, 2019 – Company Response

Thank you for your review! We’re glad you had an engaging and exciting interview experience with us and wish you the best of luck in the rest of the process. We know that job seekers like you have... More

Outbound Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at OnDeck (New York, NY).

Interview

Three hours of wasted time. Don't even bother applying to this company unless you are under 30 years old. The entire office screams age bias.

They are putting together a NYC BOILER ROOM. Be forewarned. This company is shady.

Outbound Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at OnDeck (Denver, CO) in April 2015.

Interview

Had a phone interview, a skype interview, and one last phone interview. Never went into the office. The first was a general interview from a recruiter. From there I had a skype session set up with a sales lead. Finally, spoke to a sales manager on the phone. Never had to meet anyone in person.

Outbound Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at OnDeck (Denver, CO) in April 2015.

Interview

Was interview via telephone for 30 minutes. The person I spoke with was very personable and easy to communicate with. She provided me with the basic information pertaining to the company and what you could expect in the day to day processes. I was granted an in office interview after finishing the conversation.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to get into sales?   1 Answer

People Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at OnDeck (New York, NY) in December 2014.

Interview

I was an employee referral and initially had a phone screen. Then, I had two in-person interviews, the first one was with 4 immediate team members and the second was with the COO.

Interview Questions

• There was nothing completely unexpected. Most questions revolved around skill and capability for the job role and there was also a focus on culture fit.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at OnDeck (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

Process was quick and generally professional. Only made it to the first round. Employee gave great info on the role and the company's culture. Also discussed progression of role, which was great to know. Only drawback was that no feedback was given (i.e. was never given an explicit yes/no).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at OnDeck (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

I had a phone call with the recruiter, who gave an introduction to the company. Later I did a phone screen with one of the engineers at the company, which went well enough. I got through to the in person interview where I was interviewed by a bunch of software engineers. It was mostly white boarding exercises. Some were easy, and some where challenging. The people interviewing me were friendly and were helpful during the interview. Then one of the recruiters gave me a tour around the office. I have to say, the people working there don't look as happy as they put up on their website. They all looked kind of depressed or angry. Another red flag for me was when they showed me the pantry. The furnishings looked nice, but it looked very bare when it came to snacks in the bins and the shelves.

The company extended an offer to me, but I declined it. I got a strange feeling about the company. And in any case, I received much more generous offers from other companies, so I decided to go with someone else.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

HR was managing the process pretty well, called to give an introduction of the company, and set up a phone interview within the same day. Had the phone interview with a team manager, the question was very simple Java questions, but not exactly sure what kind of answer the interviewer's looking for. Not much impressed by the interviewer's technical background either, had to write things down to explain the logic.

Overall, may be a good company to the point that they have a good business model, but for the more technical folks, may not be the best option.

Interview Questions

• Write a java class, with a number of fields and the constructor   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at OnDeck in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online. I was contacted by HR person via email very quickly. They setup the initial phone screen only days later. The first conversation was with the HR person. This was a very basic interview to find out salary, availability, etc. However, as others have noted make sure you know something about the company. HR person will ask why you want to work there. I nailed that answer for sure.
    After the initial screen they set up a technical interview the following week. This particular position was not a programming position but per the posting a discipline that would be involved across development team
    The technical interviewer was very cordial. However, he made sure not to leave much room for casual chatter. The "technical" part of the interview started and was clearly scripted. I was asked a series of questions and followups by one of the most robotic sounding people I have ever spoken with.
    When in school if someone ever asked you how you did in a test and your answer was "it depends" well that's how I felt after the interview. The "it depends" part is, of course, how they grade the answers - are they looking for someone who can demonstrate broad knowledge and expertise on a subject or simply the textbook answer. In this case it was the latter. While the questions were fair game they came from a narrow spectrum of how the job was described in the posting. Not one question but all of them from the same area. So, if you hadn't refreshed yourself on the textbook answers to these questions you failed. I can see now why their postings linger forever. This is a one in a thousand shot at filling a position.
    Also clear, was that I received only part A of the technical questions. The interviewer starts out by defining a system with very specific components. However, the questions asked did not need any of the specific information to answer. So, either the interviewer included the details to distract me (unlikely) or there were going to be more questions related to this in "part B". We never got there.
    At the end of the interview I was allowed to ask questions. I asked about the specifics of the position. It was then that I discovered that what the job really was and how it was described on their website were very far apart.

Interview Questions

• Explain how you would conduct a SQL injection attack by performing it manually.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at OnDeck (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied through indeed.com and process took 2 weeks. First round would be the phone screen done by HR. Second round of the phone interview would be technical. You will be asked to write *complete* functions and the interview will scrutinize you answer in detail, though, they don't actually compile the source.

I have not had the third round of interview yet.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at OnDeck (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

The interview process was standard. Two phone screens before they brought me in for an onsite. The phone screens were not particularly difficult, just high level algorithmic questions. At no point in the interview process did they ask any "gotcha" algorithms questions.

For the onsite, they flew me out and put me up in a nice hotel. The location was very close to their headquarters making it convenient for the day of. The onsite was very pleasant and I liked the team. I was pretty excited about the whole thing until the offer stage.

At the beginning of the process, they said they likely could not meet my ask, but that they would be able to meet my current salary. Unfortunately the actual offer was 22k less than I make now, non-negotiable. Of course with all things non-negotiable, when I said no they said they would see what they could do. Two weeks go by and they say they can't improve their offer because I would be making more than their most senior engineers. What this says to me is that they are grossly underpaying their staff so I turned them down.