Ontario Power Generation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Ontario Power Generation Interview Questions

Updated Mar 13, 2017

2.9

Assistant Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Ontario Power Generation.

Interview

Interviewed with 2 technical managers. interview ran for about 2 hours or a little over. Half behavioural half technical questions, about 6-8 questions each. atmosphere was relaxed and it almost became a conversation at the end.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you made a mistake, and how did it affect others/team   Answer Question

Developmental Student Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ontario Power Generation.

Interview

Very relaxed, more of a conversation, only behavior based questions that were between ten to twelve questions with follow up questions based on the response. Described the position in depth.

Interview Questions

• What challenge does OPG face in the future?   1 Answer

Nuclear Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kingston, ON (Canada)

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Ontario Power Generation (Kingston, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Got my paperwork done first with the HR reception. Standardized 5 questions that they ask everyone. Two supervisors who interviewed and wrote in the booklets. The questions were very behaviour based. Team emphasis

Assets and Resource Optimization Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ontario Power Generation.

Interview

Interview process is very organized, it was mostly behavioral questions in the beginning and about 5 - 7 simple technical questions. The interviewers were very understanding and nice, they gave me a lot of time to think. Overall, it was a good interview, understanding all aspects of the the company and how the electricity market works is important for this interview especially.

Interview Questions

• Describe what this code does (handed a VBA code on a paper)?   Answer Question

Engineering and Applied Science Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Campus (Nepal)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ontario Power Generation (Campus (Nepal)) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied through school and was contacted for an in-person interview about 2 weeks later. Significant amount of paperwork was required to be filled out prior to the interview. And an official transcript was mailed out from the Registrars office. Overall the interview itself was not difficult. They provide you with the STAR method response. Even mention in the beginning to be very specific and provide the result with your past experiences. All behavioural based questions.

Interview Questions

• Why OPG? Tell me about a time you solved a conflict with a co-worker. Describe a time you took the initiative to go above and beyond.   Answer Question

Nuclear Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pickering, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ontario Power Generation (Pickering, ON (Canada)) in January 2017.

Interview

I received an interview invitation email a week before my actual interview. The interview was mainly behaviour-based. Interviewers took turns to ask questions. Refreshments were served after the interview. Overall experience was fantastic.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to apply your analytical skills and critical thinking skills to solve a problem.

Why do you want to work here?
      Answer Question

Interview

Interview was straightforward. Interviewers asked about engineering experience as a student and my knowledge of nuclear power generation. Interview was short (about 20 minutes) and I received a call back the same day.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations.

Engineering New Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pickering, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Ontario Power Generation (Pickering, ON (Canada)) in November 2016.

Interview

This was a brief behavioural interview. OPG was very clear with their instructions and process that they gave in my invitation. On the day of, I was invited into the lobby, where the receptionists check over your references and security check documentation. I then got to sit and chat with the other potential hires and previously hired Grads.

The interview itself was very relaxed. They offered me water when I came in. Unfortunately, they would not disclose the names of my 2 interviewers beforehand- so I was put on the spot trying to interact with them. One is has an engineering background, and the other has an HR background.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where a group member wasn't pulling their weight on a project   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you contributed significantly toward a project   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you improved an inefficient process   Answer Question
    • Was there anything you wish you had done differently on a recent project?   Answer Question

Modification Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pickering, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Ontario Power Generation (Pickering, ON (Canada)) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied through agency in early November, 2016. Received request for interview in early December, 2016. Got job offer 1 week later. Started 2 weeks after interview (end of December, 2016).

Note that I already had my OPG security clearance, and this may have contributed towards a swift hiring process.

I was Interviewed at Pickering Nuclear Generating Station, by 2 hiring managers (no HR because applied through agency). They had a booklet with behavioral questions that they have to ask in order to rank candidates, and a list of technical questions prepared.

Lastly, I personally think a lot of 'Modification Team Leader' interviews (or contract position in general) are conducted during this period (December). I suspect it is because this is their end-of-fiscal-year, and they have a good indication of how much budget they can spend for next year, and how many staff they can hire.

Interview Questions

• Combination of behavior (~80-90%) and technical (~10-20%). Note, some technical questions are for people with past experience. New grads/contractors/etc. do not need to worry about knowing the details of these. Also, for behavioral question, use past examples (i.e. what you HAVE DONE), not what you would do.

Background-based Questions:
      Tell me about yourself?

Behavioral Questions:
      Tell me about a time where you improved an inefficient process?
      Tell me about a time where a member was being unaccountable on a project?
      Describe a time when you were faced with a challenging situation and how you handled it.
      Tell me about a time where you contributed significantly toward a project?
      Describe a time when you had conflict with a co-worker.

Technical Questions:
      Describe the Engineering Change Control process.
      Describe the 5 phases of the Modification Process.
      Describe the name and agreement that OPG has with its unions.
      Describe the steps and documents you would take/complete if a modification needs to be carried out.
      1 Answer

Manager, Isotope Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pickering, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ontario Power Generation (Pickering, ON (Canada)) in December 2016.

Interview

Interview consisted of a panel of 3 - VP Supply Chain, Director of Isotope Sales, and the Chief Supply Officer. It was a behavioural interview intended to draw on previous experiences with actual examples. The Chief Supply Officer was unprofessional. He arrived late to the interview, kept shuffling through papers throughout the interview and continuous kept checking his cell phone. He made it very clear that he did not respect my time or that I was going to get a job offer within minutes of his arrival. I'm sure he already had someone in mind from his network which was why he went out of his way to make the interview difficult for me. Too bad, I really liked the VP Supply Chain. Someone I could see as a mentor and learn a lot from. Back to the drawing board. Maybe the Chief Supply Officer was intimidated because of my work experience, I'm a professional engineer, have an engineering degree, experience in manufacturing, and a MBA and he had neither of these. Don't understand how that guy makes $378K / year. Unreal.

Interview Questions

• Provide an example of a time when you had to do something strategic and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Why are you interested in this position?   Answer Question
    • If you aren't hitting your sales target in Q3 of a fiscal year, what would you do to try to hit the department's revenue by year end?   Answer Question
    • What are you looking for? It looks like you change jobs every 2 years.   Answer Question