Ooyala Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.2

1. Featured Interview

Sales Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Ooyala (Santa Clara, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Phone interview for 3-month contract to hire. Great conversation with the hiring manager and they were looking to fill multiple positions. Seems like an awesome company to start out at and get experience in the tech world.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me what you know about Ooyala and our position in the market?   1 Answer

Congratularions! And Welcome to Ooyala

Training Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ooyala in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter the very next day requesting a phone screen. We scheduled a time, which was cancelled at the last minute (literally less than an hour prior) by the recruiter without explanation. He did ask to reschedule, which I agreed to, giving him the benefit of the doubt.

He did call the second time around, and after the phone screen I was passed on to a round 2 interview with one of their trainers. This interview was an hour long phone conversation, where I was asked about my background and some technical knowledge. At the end, the interviewer told me my recruiter would be in touch soon with next steps.

Well, this was several weeks ago, and I never heard from them again. I sent a follow-up email to the recruiter asking for feedback on my interview, and no answer.

It seems to me this company doesn't value their candidates' time. I am currently working full-time and arranging time to step out for an interview isn't always easy - so being cancelled on last minute and then being ignored after giving them a couple hours of my time is really not appreciated. A simple email stating that I wasn't the right fit for the role would have sufficed. At the end of the day, if they treat their interviewing candidates this way, the last thing I'd want to be is their employee anyway.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about breaking down a complex topic into digestible training material?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer - Web Applications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ooyala (Santa Clara, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

1. Resume screening with the recruiter. Standard questions related to your technical background and work experience.

2. Phone screen: How would you iterate through linked list using Javascript and return kth element? Find all instances of anagrams in an array. It went well to recruiter reached out to me immediately and we scheduled onsite quickly.

3. Onsite: 6 Rounds of 45 minute interview.

1st Round: Resume screening and questions related to your current projects. I have experience with streaming content and extensive experience with advertisement so 45 minutes went by really fast.

2. Technical round: Pay special attention here. Understand the question before hand because I had hard time understanding the question from the interviewer and had to ask many clarifying questions which he did not like. Also avoid using closure to solve this problem.

Additional conditions:
    a) user can continuously press button so we may get false positive.
    b) There may be some interference in this stream so consider that as well.

3. Lunch interview: Spoke about our projects that we are working on, company culture and things like that.

4. Interview with Product Manager: We spoke about our work style and some of the project that I worked on. He asked me what do I look in a product manager and some other questions.

5. Interview with 2 More Engineers:

a) Design an app for Chess. I do not play chess a lot. But I described basic Data Structure and methods to be used to add functionality.

b) Design an app for TinyURL: Described all the methods that will be used and the API calls.

In the end I asked shall we think of more scenarios and he replied saying don't worry its a good design and you did well.

6. Interview with Hiring manager: He asked me questions related to my background and I asked questions about their eco system.

Overall there was a good communication by recruiter during the entire process. Team is excellent. I did not receive the offer saying that I took longer to understand the problem and solve part of the problem as compared to other candidates. This makes me think that they have heavy emphasis on a single round of interview out of 5 other rounds. I am not concerned about the rejection as I have 3 other offers waiting but this could have been a good fit for both of us.

Interview Questions

• Implement a function that accepts continuous stream of speed and a flag(true/false) and print speed when user clicks on a button.

Additional conditions:
      a) user can continuously press button so we may get false positive.
      b) There may be some interference in this stream so consider that as well.
      Answer Question

Jan 5, 2017 – Global Director Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for taking the time to come in and meet with the team. Sorry it wasn't a fit. Best of luck to you in the new year!

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ooyala in September 2016.

Interview

Pathetic voice. The voice was not clear at all. I had to repeat his words again and again. I didn't find him friendly and he missed one interview date also though he apologized for that. Bad interviewer and my hard luck :(
    The questions were from resume and the one coding question.

Interview Questions

Ooyala Response

Mar 13, 2017 – Global Director Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the feedback. I am so sorry to hear this was a bad experience. I will work with the mgr and interview team to improve the overall experience. Best of luck

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ooyala (Dallas, TX) in May 2016.

Interview

Three step interviews. I applied through university career website and HR got in touch with me in about a week.

1. Phone call with HR. Mostly let you know about Ooyala and talked about the position. Ask a little question about your resume and some simple behavior questions. No technical questions.
    2. Webcam + Google Document with one of the dev manager. Some behavior questions. Very simple coding question that comes in series - first write a simple method that does something, then follow up changes some condition and ask you to change the codes, repeat this a few times. And questions about your basic programming knowledge such as what is OO, give example of inheritance, what does static mean in java...
    3. Onsite panel interview. Interviewed with 5-6 people from all dev teams. Some behavior questions helping them to know you, why choose Ooyala, what do you expect from the job, whats your greatest strength, etc. Technical questions are more difficult than before. Dijkstra's algorithm, recursive fibonacci... Also database design and SQL query question, math questions about clock hand angle.

First two step was pretty easy, but was kind of thrown off by the third interview, both by the number of interviewers and the broad range of technical questions. Interviewers are pretty friendly but you have to do most of the talking during the onsite interview. HR very friendly but may take some time to respond to you.

I got a reject email a few days after the third interview.

Interview Questions

• 1. Design a database for a movie-actor lookup system, and follow up questions on writing several queries.   Answer Question

Mar 13, 2017 – Global Director Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the review and happy to see you enjoyed the experience. I am sorry its wasn't a fit. Hope you landed a great internship

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ooyala (La Jolla, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

They emailed me to schedule an 45 minute to an hour interview. Got back to me relatively quickly.
    I interviewed and they gave me positive feedback and asked to schedule another interview.
    I sent them the times I was free and never got an email back. I emailed them again two weeks later and still no reply.

Interview Questions

Ooyala Response

Apr 20, 2016 – Global Director Talent Acquisition

I am so sorry for the lack of communication. Feel free to contact us so we can communicate accordingly.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ooyala (San Jose, CA).

Interview

I did not have a good experience. In phone interview wasted 30 mins just talk about my related work, which I have already explained to recruiter. Finally, he asked a coding question he explained it properly and took at least 10mins. Although, the question explanation was good. Finally, I could not solve the problem because of time constraints and got panic.

Interview Questions

• Given : Array of integers {1,2,3,4}, map of {1-->a,2-->b..26-z}
      Output : {a,b,c,d},{l,c,d},{a,w,d}...etc..all combinations
      1 Answer

Jan 6, 2016 – Global Director Talent Acquisition

Sorry for the poor experience. The recruiter feedback should have been shared with the phone interviewer. Its normal for the interviewer to spend a few minutes on past exp but 30 min is a bit much ... More

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Ooyala (Plano, TX) in November 2015.

Interview

A short introductory call with HR.
    An online coding test. 3 (easy, moderate, hard) coding problems I finished only first 2 (more like 1.9 I should say). And few general language multiple choice questions. 2 hours I think.
    Onsite interviews. 3 x 45mins. Including one with hiring manager. All technical. First abt programming, second abt architecture, third abt both.
    All in all a very pleasant experience. Everyone spoke quite candidly and spent some time selling Ooyala, successfully of course.

Interview Questions

• Write code to find common items in 2 lists (not sets). In languages of choice.
      And some other such algorithm questions.
      1 Answer
    • Architectural problem solved in past projects. And general open ended discussion on various architectural topics.   Answer Question

Nov 13, 2015 – Global Director Talent Acquisition

Welcome to Ooyala. Thanks for the review!

Product Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Ooyala (Santa Clara, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

Elongated wait to talk to the initial recruiter, then she went to jury duty so an awkward transition to the engineering recruiter, and then the full onsite with 6 people. To be honest - up until the onsite - i thought the team handled well. The onsite was terribly orchestrated, they ended up not allowing me to even eat, and starve through the 6 hours. Also, the junior PM on the team who decided to use cultural, deroggatory and other unfortunate tones with me was the cause for me to not receive the role. Having said that - I thought it would have been a perfect fit for me, unfortunately the recruiting team, product leadership and the interview panel was not exactly all aligned. Its unfortunate to have watched to be honest, and be victim to such scrutiny. I would strongly advise right now anybody interviewing there - but if you have to , know that not everybody feels the same way as you do.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to come here and what do you offer the process we dont already have? Why did you decide to look so quick and how come you're just floating around?   2 Answers

Nov 23, 2015 – Global Director Talent Acquisition

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. But as we discussed on the phone we talked to the interview team regarding the line/style of questioning. It is still concerning that you felt the 30 min lunch ... More

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Ooyala (Sunnyvale, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

I enjoyed the interview process at Ooyala. Much of the questions were around the core abilities for the position. They were looking for a writer with a rich experience in creating documentation for developers. But I had a breadth of experience in my writing styles and not an in-depth experience

Interview Questions

• What was one of the writing projects that you learned a lot? Why was it different   Answer Question

Nov 23, 2015 – Global Director Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the review. Sorry there wasn't a fit. Best of luck in your search.