Opower Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.3

Sort:

Corporate Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Opower (San Francisco, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

Applied online over Jobvite and had first phone interview 6 days later with a recruiter in Arlington, VA. Interview went well- she was very friendly and asked standard initial questions, also asked me if I was comfortable with the pay rate. Second phone interview was three days later with the manager in San Francisco, CA that I would directly be working under. Since she is the one I would be working with, I thought the interview would be more conversational but she sounded more like a recruiter than the recruiter did. Asked very straight-forward questions, straight to the point, not conversational at all. Very focused on specific goals I want to have met during this 6-month internship. Heard back within the week that I made it to the final interview process which was three back-to-back interviews, a half hour each. Had a phone call from the recruiter to prep me for the process and what to expect, but she sounded very rushed so it was short. She also said I was one of three final candidates. The interviews were done using online video conferencing. The first interview was with someone in Arlington. She hadn't looked at my resume yet so she spent the first minute familiarizing herself with it. Asked simple questions about my resume for a few minutes then asked me if I had questions for her. She then said she had to leave early to pick someone up from the airport and was hoping we could end early. Second interview was with someone in Arlington who currently has the same position I'm interviewing for in Arlington. He was very nice and we had the best conversation. We really covered everything about myself and the position, but he said he had no part in the hiring, he was just there to make sure I understand everything about the position. The third interview was with someone in San Francisco, and she was 15 minutes late so she said we would have to rush very quickly to cover a few questions. Focused on providing past examples of having too much on my plate and having different priorities than other people. After these three interviews I didn't know how to feel since two were cut short and the one really good conversation was not part of the hiring. I didn't hear back for a while and followed up again with the recruiter a couple weeks later. She replied a few days later with: "We did actually hire someone into this position, but I will let you know if we have any other openings in the future." as the entire message. I found that unprofessional that after spending the time to go through multiple interviews and waiting to hear back for the final decision, they don't even make sure to notify all three final candidates of the decision, and replied with such a short and impersonal message.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had too much on your plate and you had to ask someone for help.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you were working on a project that was important to you but other people were not taking the project seriously or making it their priority.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you worked on a very complex project and how did you approach those complexities?   Answer Question
    • What was your biggest challenge in a past position? What was your proudest moment in a past position?   Answer Question
    • What are your expectations for this position? What are specific goals that you would like to have met at the end of this 6-month position?   Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Opower (Arlington, VA) in October 2012.

Interview

I went for the on-campus interview. There were 2 rounds of technical interviews. The topics covered were linked lists and recursion. After a week I was called for an on-site interview which had 3 rounds. I aced the first 2 but bombed on the last one. It was an activity scheduling problem. I had yet to take the algorithms class. Needless to say I wasn't considered.

Javascript Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Opower (Arlington, VA) in June 2015.

Interview

All accept 1 of the 5 interviews were all highly technical. The series of interviews were at their offices from 11AM to 5PM. I was asked to write code on their loaner laptop for random, subjective scenarios with unclear instructions that made quickly answering the question rather difficult at time. A team member told me, during lunch, that the interview exercises were something new they were working on and I was their “guinea pig”.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that accepts a single argument that returns a flattened array regardless of what argument type was passed in.   1 Answer
    • Write code that allows a user to go to a specific url and returns a JSON object containing the name and version of the current package (this was inside of their app that is in/near production and using the KOA framework---not Express)   1 Answer
    • Write pseudo code for a function that accepts a Board class that contains three public methods and will return whether the Board passed in is “solvable”. The three Board methods include “canMove” that accepts a direction parameter, move() that accepts a direction parameter, and “isSolvable” that returns a boolean of whether or not the board passed in is “solvable”.   1 Answer
    • Verbally explain how you would write unit tests for the function I wrote in question 3.   1 Answer
    • Create a “debounce” function like the one provided by the underscore JavaScript framework that will take a function as the first parameter and return a function that will only be called once within the milliseconds of time (that is passed in as the second parameter).   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Opower was in our university job fair. I talked to one of the guys and they took my resume. A few days later they emailed me to schedule a phone coding interview.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Opower in June 2013.

Interview

One of the recruiters contacted me through Linkedin a while ago, and i was trying to work at some established startups.

The interview process started with me getting an email from the recruiter to set up a phone call. This was the initial phone call, where i was told about the company and the culture and we talked little bit about myself.

I was told about the interview process which comprised of the following
    1: Coding challenge with one week time frame
    2 : Phone interview
    3 : On site call

As soon as we were done with phone call, i received my coding challenge. I took some time to complete the code and send it back.
    I got a email saying my code wasnt good enough and wishing me good luck for future.

I wanted to get some feedback on my code, but probably it was too much to ask.

Interview Questions

• There was no difficult question, if you know your design patterns you should be able to code the problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Opower (Arlington, VA) in October 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter from my school's career fair to stop by the booth. I stopped by the booth and a few days later received an e-mail inviting me to participate in a phone interview. I interviewed over the phone and did some live coding for the interviewer, about an hour long. Next I was invited to come on-site for a half-day of interviews -- I had 4 interviewers, about an hour each. Almost all were technical questions. By the end of the week, the recruiter called me to let me know I wasn't receiving an offer.

Interview Questions

• conversion of chars and integers when parsing a String.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Opower (Arlington, VA) in March 2014.

Interview

The whole process takes about 3 weeks. I had a phone interview with HR, a phone coding interview of 1hr with a technician. After 2 or 3 days after that, I was asked to schedule an on-site interview.
    The on-site interview was 3.5hr long. At first, I was walked around by the coordinator to see the offices. Then, I had 3 coding interviews (1hr each) and a behavioral interview for half an hour. All the interviewers were so nice, friendly and very supportive. We had time to talk before and after each interview. I actually learned a lot of thing from talking to them. Very nice people!

Interview Questions

• All of the questions were new to me. However, it's not too hard to reason and come up with the solution on the spot. And I think they care more about your thinking process and how you test your code rather than how quickly you can come up with the solution. The problem that took me most time was how to reverse a list.   1 Answer

Opower Response

Apr 8, 2014 – Employer Brand Manager

Great to hear you had such a positive experience. Thanks for the review and the time you spent with us here at Opower.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Opower (Arlington, VA) in October 2013.

Interview

I applied through a university career website. In about a week, I was contacted about scheduling a phone interview. This phone interview lasted about an hour. It involved coding in a live document online. The interviewer had typed questions in the document, and I coded my solutions to them. These questions were fairly straightforward coding questions. I used Java.

After my phone interview, I scheduled an on-site interview for the next week. This interview lasted 4 hours, with 4 45-60 minute interviews. The questions asked here were harder than the phone screen questions, but they still weren't terribly difficult (a lot easier I thought than Microsoft/Google interview questions). The first interview was a coding question with stacks and queues, the second was a design question with a state diagram, the third was an algorithm question involving shuffling a deck of cards, and the last interview was with the director of engineering, and it was a behavioral interview. In the technical interviews, I would always start by explaining my thought process, but each interviewer always stopped me and told me to just write something on the board right away, even if it wasn't the most efficient solution. Then, we worked to get a better solution.

Overall I felt that I did almost as well as I could have done. I got what I thought were the correct answers to each question. However, I heard back 2 weeks later that I did not get the job. I know others who have applied and been rejected as well, and they had similar experiences to me. I think it is possible that Opower is looking for candidates with more experience than new grads.

Interview Questions

• Write code to shuffle a deck of 52 cards, and ensure that your shuffle is completely random.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Opower (Arlington, VA) in June 2012.

Interview

I applied for the position which was listed on Indeed.com. After a few days I was contacted by the Recruiter at Opower and she asked me time slots for a phone screening. After the phone screening she sent me an assessment test which I had to submit within 7 days. The test involved coding a problem in Java. I coded the problem and submitted it on time. After a week I contacted her saying that I had submitted the test and I wanted to know the status of the application. She replied to my email 8-10 days after the submission of my assessment and said that she will give me feedback the next day. When she again didn't give feedback I shot an email again and this time she sent me a rejection mail saying that my solution was not perfect. I felt very let down with the interview process and the extremely slow response from the recruiter. Also, for the assessment test they did not give me any feedback about my code and didn't tell me what was the problem.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

As others have said, the process involves at least (1) a phone screening in which you are asked to complete a coding exercise and to discuss your interests in and experience with software development generally and (2) a day-long on-site interview spree with various team members. The phone screening part of the process was great; the discussion with the interviewer was pleasant, and the coding exercise was at just the right level of difficulty for the position (there was, fortunately, no "FizzBuzz" here). The on-site portion of the process was less great, mostly due to details involving the particular position for which I (thought I) was applying and the way in which the on-site, two-hour-long coding session played out (so, my experience may not generalize, although some of the other responses here seem to suggest that it does).

Without getting into too many details, I can say this: for the on-site coding session, I was seemingly expected (unexpectedly!) to be proficient with certain niche tools and languages -- well, they were niche at the time -- that were neither mentioned on the job advertisement for the position nor mentioned at any other point during the interview process. Since I was *not* proficient with these things (and never made any pretense otherwise), the result was a very awkward coding session that was probably, for the most part, a waste of everyone's time. Since Opower expects so much of one's time during the interview process (and asks a decent amount of their own employees in this regard, as well), I would have liked for them to have been much more up-front about this. Because they were not, I was left with an overall negative impression of their interview process. (I should say that it's *possible* that part of this process was intended to test how well I was able to "roll" with unexpected challenges and to learn on the job. However, no real indication was given that this was the case, and, given that I was able to learn the aforementioned tools to some degree on-the-spot and complete some of the coding challenges, but still received no offer -- every other aspect of the interview process had gone very, very well -- I have some doubts that this is so. What's more, I know that the tools that they tested me on are tools that the company uses in production, so it still seems that it would have been sensible to mention them on the job advertisement, in any case.)