Opower Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 27, 2017

3.3

Tech Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Opower (Arlington, VA).

Interview

Applied through LinkedIn. Contacted by HR. Then, had technical screening by phone with hiring manager. Once done, they sent me a homework with SQL and Linux questions. Finally, invited for all day face to face.
    Interviewed by six people.
    Never heard back after though all interviews went over the allotted time and interviewers seem interested.

Pros:
    ** They are very hospitable.
    ** Very nice office
    ** Pets are allowed
    ** Various perks

Cons:
    **No diversity (you will see that during tour)
    **They don't bother to give you interview feedback ( after spending your time and energy)

Note: Honestly, I was not that interested in the position after I learned more about it.

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Opower (Arlington, VA).

Interview

3 Part process.
    1) Homework: several questions that covered Linux text commands, SQL, and regex
    2) Technical Phone interview: we went over the homework and several new questions on SQL
    3) 5-hour interview: Long day that consisted of an interview covering each topic.

All interviews were conducted to see my thought process, and general technical ability.

Interview Questions

• You must know
      * SQL
      * Linux command (sed, awk, bash scripting ect..)
      * general programming: functions, objects, loops, conditionals ect..
      * have a general knowledge QA, unit testing ect..
      1 Answer

Client Success Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Opower (San Francisco, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

First HR called to gather information, followed by technical interview over the phone and onsite face to face interview. Onsite interview was day long interview with interview panel at onsite

Interview Questions

• Current responsibilities, how do you improve client relationships and provide one challenge you faced during implementation   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Opower.

Interview

Had a homework assignment, a phone screen, and then an onsite. Pretty reasonable questions, had a really fun lunch with the team. Nothing too unusual, though one of the questions was more mathematical, which didn't make much sense for the developer role I was interviewing for. One of the interviewers had me pair program on improving my homework assignment, which I thought was a really fun and useful filter for candidates.

Interview Questions

• What tool would you use to diagnose whether an app was network-bound, io-bound, memory-bound, or what?   1 Answer

Director, Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Opower (Arlington, VA).

Interview

I came in the office to for a series of interviews, mostly with senior management but one panel interview with team that would be reporting to me. Those in group panel interview came into the conference room with their laptops, several of them continuing to work during the interview process which I found very rude. A few of them were not engaged and never asked any questions. They also had me do work assignment prior to the interview and submit my work. It was rather involved and took several hours. I understand the need to assess work product and abilities but at some point it crosses the line to free consulting.

Associate Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Opower in February 2016.

Interview

The recruiter showed interest in my profile after I applied online. A phone interview was scheduled but nobody ever called me even though I scheduled my time off work specifically for it. I never cared to follow up either since it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Please do not schedule interviews if you do not respect other people's time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Opower (Arlington, VA) in February 2016.

Interview

First, the HR asked some general questions about my background and how I understand about what they are doing. Then, she asked about my current status. Since they do sponsor the work visa for this opening. Our conversation end there.

IT Support Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Opower (Arlington, VA) in November 2015.

Interview

Opower recruiter contacted me about their open position. The interview process was simple, the pre-screening phone interview was completed by the recruiter, then a phone interview with the hiring manager that lasted 30 minutes. Then two weeks later we setup a in person interview with the IT team, which took half a day. The interview process was simple, it was more of a conversation with some technical questions thrown in. Met with 8 people, each interview last 30 minutes and they are very rigid about time. Once the 30 minute mark is up, you have to move on to the next person, there wasn't any flexibility to finish the conversation. Prior to the in-person interview, be prepared to send in a written response based on your job description. The written portion evaluates your research, writing, and problem solving capability.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Opower (Arlington, VA).

Interview

Interview process is the same format as you read in previous reviews for the same position, it is a bit rigorous. Initial email from HR person a few days after applying and followed with a phone screen within a few days. Provided with take home assessment which was lengthy but not bad. Couple of phone sessions with hiring mgr, the technical stuff was pretty basic SQL(focusing more on joins). Onsite interview was 5 hr long including lunch. Couple of regular functional interviews followed by three technical sessions each for an hr. Technical skills tested are Programming - logic challenge, SQL - table schema and queries with joins, Unix - command line accessing of files(can use the internet).

Overall impression of the company was great and though the onsite interview was long and a bit rigorous, it was surprisingly pleasant. The take home assessment is a bit tedious, but if you are technical, you'll have fun with it. The technical interviews are not too bad if you know your stuff. You don't have to be an expert in the above mentioned areas, mid level would do well. They have very high standards, if you stumble in even one of the technical portions, you can forget it. HR person will be in constant touch with you and will be your main resource. Nice office!

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Opower (Roseville, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

I applied online. I had a call with HR followed by VP.
    I didn’t do well. He described 3 PM roles to me asking me to pick one. The phone line wasn’t clear and I didn’t bother to take notes as I was thinking they are generic PM roles, to add to that the line wasn’t clear. I guess he was using a speaker phone and I already told him I wasn’t able to hear clearly.
    So now come gogley, he asked to pick one PM role and tell him about my work experience related to it.
    I didn’t even get to hear the job description. It was my fault I should have stopped him there and should have made him repeat jobs R&R.
    But I kept blabbering without knowing or understating(more about the roles) the question correctly. Then and there itself I knew its over. For formality sake he asked me few other questions and I answered.
    Got a rejected few days later.
    Biggest lesson was if u don’t understand the question never answer.
    By the way he called me at wrong times I had to rush back to home from office to attend the interview but no excuses.
    Felt really bad prepared very hard for it.
    I had some good & related experience as well.

Interview Questions

• What are some of the product features of my software?   1 Answer